Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
You'd think a Lord High Admiral would count as a valid head of the navy, but nope, gotta have the regular defense minister for that or be slapped by a 20% extra ship upkeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My authoritarian xenophobe knights just got the omnicodex. I spawned some random guys on the relic world and got crystal producing lithoids. Which has really solved my minerals problem.

I feel pretty bad about it though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I can't wait to make people eat the ice cream as a rogue servitor obsessive directive ai.

I'm gonna have so much fun with it.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

AtomikKrab posted:

I can't wait to make people eat the ice cream as a rogue servitor obsessive directive ai.

I'm gonna have so much fun with it.

I feel like Obsessive Directive lowkey stole the show.

The idea behind it is so funny. Stellaris is usually this serious game full of horrible warcrimes and then you have...

these guys.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Yami Fenrir posted:

I feel like Obsessive Directive lowkey stole the show.

The idea behind it is so funny. Stellaris is usually this serious game full of horrible warcrimes and then you have...

these guys.

look here, my toasters will make toasters until the stars die out and none of you can stop me

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, pretty sure the problem was that power creep had gotten to the point of disrupting the intended pace of tech development, where you should be getting the filler techs around endgame, and the research nerfs are just putting things back to their intended design.

Besides, if I'm crushing the science game in the new era despite having the tech costs always sitting at +50% extra costs, research is still a bit too easy. And if you disagree, the slider is waiting for you to give yourself an insane boost anyway. :v:

Jack Trades posted:

I played Stellaris since release and I have almost 600 hours in it.

I don't have a single achievement.

I'm currently sitting at 3829,6 hours, according to Steam. I am insane.

I also sincerely hope they don't add anything to make achievements work while playing modded until I manage to breach the 4000-hour range, just so I can confidently state "I have played Stellaris for over four thousand hours, without claiming a single achievement" -:smugbird:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Man, I've been seeing the psychic/angler/catalytic "meta" discussions around and have played around with a few builds... it is pretty insane. I guess angler/catalytic got buffed in efficiency, and their council positions are great. The Angler position specifically buffs base output, so you end up with insane output per angler and pearl diver. Dicked around with console commands and had Anglers putting out like 55 food each with the Baol structure added into the mix. The Baol structure also makes Anglers produce a small amount of CGs, so they're paying their own CG upkeep even on Utopian Abundance.

While psychic rush seems to be the current best way to take advantage of this, pretty much any bio empire can run Angler/Catalytic and have most of this value.

Hive/Machine empires have the catalytic equivalents, but lack the anglers and the council positions that really shove this build into overdrive. Megacorps lose out on both of the council positions too, their catalyst gives -2% upkeep/level instead of +2% output/level, and the angler councilor gives trade value for anglers and pearl divers instead of base output, a huge difference in efficiency.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Serpentis posted:

look here, my toasters will make toasters until the stars die out and none of you can stop me

I always internally believe that Consumer Goods is just a television and my Consumer Goods-based empire is just drowning everyone, everywhere, in big screen TVs

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Feel like obsessive directive is another way to get a “megacorp” kind of vibe as a gestalt machine intelligence. Seems cool to me, gonna flood the galaxy with luxury

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Clarste posted:

I haven't played in years, what's the tech change?
To be a bit more comprehensive, they ditched the flat +20% to researchers techs (but kept the +science station boosters) and added researcher pop job upkeep penalties to most remaining researcher output or research speed booster techs. They also boosted base costs a little and end-game costs by a lot and made the research institute an empire unique (though that may have come in a while back?)

If you haven't played in a while there's more than enough new ways to get or boost science that it's not the doom and gloom that someone used to going full researcher spam might be feeling. It's genuinely made the game much, much more fun for me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Deuce posted:

Man, I've been seeing the psychic/angler/catalytic "meta" discussions around and have played around with a few builds... it is pretty insane. I guess angler/catalytic got buffed in efficiency, and their council positions are great. The Angler position specifically buffs base output, so you end up with insane output per angler and pearl diver. Dicked around with console commands and had Anglers putting out like 55 food each with the Baol structure added into the mix. The Baol structure also makes Anglers produce a small amount of CGs, so they're paying their own CG upkeep even on Utopian Abundance.

While psychic rush seems to be the current best way to take advantage of this, pretty much any bio empire can run Angler/Catalytic and have most of this value.

Hive/Machine empires have the catalytic equivalents, but lack the anglers and the council positions that really shove this build into overdrive. Megacorps lose out on both of the council positions too, their catalyst gives -2% upkeep/level instead of +2% output/level, and the angler councilor gives trade value for anglers and pearl divers instead of base output, a huge difference in efficiency.
I still want catalytic to be food supplementing rather than replacing minerals, though a big part of that is so people stop bringing it up whenever organic ships get discussed.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Splicer posted:

I still want catalytic to be food supplementing rather than replacing minerals, though a big part of that is so people stop bringing it up whenever organic ships get discussed.
Yeah, make it work like the radiothropic trait tbh. Replace 50% alloy production upkeep with food.

Speaking of, it's strange to me that the game's gotten approximately 50 DLCs and I still can't be Vorlons.
I hope that DLC when/if it comes also includes an alternative victory condition where you just gently caress off beyond the galactic rim.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Splicer posted:

Your ships are made out of sausage, deal with it

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Deuce posted:

Your ships are made out of sausage, deal with it

Don't want to see how it's made and it's full of seamen?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Libluini posted:

I'm currently sitting at 3829,6 hours, according to Steam. I am insane.

I also sincerely hope they don't add anything to make achievements work while playing modded until I manage to breach the 4000-hour range, just so I can confidently state "I have played Stellaris for over four thousand hours, without claiming a single achievement" -:smugbird:

The only reason I have any achievements is that I used a cheat engine table to enable obtaining them while modded, but alas it hasn't been updated to the latest version and I can't be bothered to try and fix it myself (link, there are ones for other paradox games too).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 10, 2024

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
The only part of the tech update I don't like is the consumer goods upkeep. They've been massively cranking up consumer goods for every job while lowering the yields for a while now, to the point that I'm seriously debating disabling my ruler jobs because they take 3cg each to barely outproduce an entertainer

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm playing co-op managing a xenophobic oceanic plantoid species with intergalactic doorstop and angler/catalytic, that ship you can get for rushing the gateway early is hilarious because it has like 15k fleet strength and you get it in like year 40-50 and just go to town subjugating your neighbors

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jabarto posted:

The only part of the tech update I don't like is the consumer goods upkeep. They've been massively cranking up consumer goods for every job while lowering the yields for a while now, to the point that I'm seriously debating disabling my ruler jobs because they take 3cg each to barely outproduce an entertainer
They don't get that people like alloys over CG because you can spend alloys to get a thing while CG is just a static requirement for other things to happen. Same for strategic resources. For people to actually get excited about CG there needs to be a button you can spam to spawn <thing> with the only limit being how big your CG stockpile is.

Which is I guess the paperclip maximiser civic's whole thing but :shrug:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I would love a name list editor. I'm currently tinkering with a hive mind name list (all the names are formatted like Big Bang Theory episode titles) and doing it by hand has been time-consuming. The Bazinga Experiment deserves better.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Splicer posted:

They don't get that people like alloys over CG because you can spend alloys to get a thing while CG is just a static requirement for other things to happen. Same for strategic resources. For people to actually get excited about CG there needs to be a button you can spam to spawn <thing> with the only limit being how big your CG stockpile is.

Which is I guess the paperclip maximiser civic's whole thing but :shrug:

No paperclip, Ice cream, you will be pampered with endless ice cream.

The ice cream is NOT OPTIONAL

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ice cream made from minerals?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Clarste posted:

*fortified

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Clarste posted:

Rock salt is added to provide nutritional balance and MEGA FLAVORIODS

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

AtomikKrab posted:

Rock salt is added to provide nutritional balance and MEGA FLAVORIODS

Is Mega Flavoroids a custom engineered species of lithoid?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I wanna play some stellaris with my buddy stealtharcher but trying to find a good modpack on steam is... well... the last three month's search on collections that are popular its full of anime titties.

Thats.... not what I want right now. Anyone got a recommendation? I'd normally build my own but we've got a time limit.

Stealth prefers them big.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Thyrork posted:

the last three month's search on collections that are popular its full of anime titties.

Thyrork posted:

Stealth prefers them big.

:dudsmile:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

You'd think I did it on purpose but no, I'm not that clever.

(Also I can't speak for if they do or do not like anime titties, but I can tell you they're not prepared to talk about the anime adaptations of Sherlock.)

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 11, 2024

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=794924166

That's the list i use, but it did get trimmed hard recently as a bunch of mods weren't seeing updates.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhhh...

I've been following Stellaris since launch and I'm pretty sure that Season 8 is the first "Season". No?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Can't remember anything describing it in those terms but tbh the way Pdox continually upgrades/updates their games it makes sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Can't remember anything describing it in those terms but tbh the way Pdox continually upgrades/updates their games it makes sense.

I don't understand the reason to start counting from 8.

They didn't even bother to retroactively group the previous DLC into "Seasons".

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Is the game 8 years old? idk

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Space storms? Excellent opportunities for shaking things up and piracy.

Also I really really want the new expansion.

New crisis got some details released, Looks very interesting and should be a different feel than the first three.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 11, 2024

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

GunnerJ posted:

Next month is the 8th anniversary of release, yep.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's a season pass thing. Buy a season pass, get everything they release for the year on release for slightly less than buying them individually.

GunnerJ posted:

Yes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Second mid-game crisis two dlc's from now? Better late than never, I suppose.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Getting back into the game after a long break, what's the best way to deal with rear end in a top hat criminal syndicates? The jerks are too big to claim and conquer (and there's closer, juicier targets first) without multiple wars. Does vassalizing them or something turn them into a nation that doesn't need to be exterminated?

Expropriation just wrecks what they have but doesn't stop them from coming back after the truce, right?

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

pseudodragon posted:

Getting back into the game after a long break, what's the best way to deal with rear end in a top hat criminal syndicates? The jerks are too big to claim and conquer (and there's closer, juicier targets first) without multiple wars. Does vassalizing them or something turn them into a nation that doesn't need to be exterminated?

Expropriation just wrecks what they have but doesn't stop them from coming back after the truce, right?

Unironically being a hivemind or just exterminating them when they set up branch offices, they're annoying as hell.

Also the machine age dlc looks cool but lol at 99% of the dev diary being an ad for a subscription pass and then dropping a paragraph about the crisis at the bottom. It's a new crisis, there's potentially a lot to talk about, and they barely mention anything about the synthetic queen beyond her name so they talk about other DLCs coming out at the end of the year

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pseudodragon posted:

Getting back into the game after a long break, what's the best way to deal with rear end in a top hat criminal syndicates?
I generally start a new game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Uhhh...

I've been following Stellaris since launch and I'm pretty sure that Season 8 is the first "Season". No?

Stellaris as a Service, the new SaaS.

Montu has a video up about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUhTPb3HPlc