Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Syndlig posted:

quoting these for the new thread.

How legit are sites like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Had a weird thing happen. As a machine assimilator I abducted a pop of the faction I was at war with. Pop lands on one of my planets and has the Migrating icon. I check, and he's migrating from my planet to that of another faction. What gives? I thought it was supposed to get wired up and join my race of machine peoples. I checked species rights, everything looked good. Set to assimilate, migration controls enabled. Only weird thing was it had alpine preference and was on a continental world. Seems like a bug?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Clanpot Shake posted:

Had a weird thing happen. As a machine assimilator I abducted a pop of the faction I was at war with. Pop lands on one of my planets and has the Migrating icon. I check, and he's migrating from my planet to that of another faction. What gives? I thought it was supposed to get wired up and join my race of machine peoples. I checked species rights, everything looked good. Set to assimilate, migration controls enabled. Only weird thing was it had alpine preference and was on a continental world. Seems like a bug?

Anyone?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

After reading the thread, I'm not supposed to just gobble up every system I can with outposts? :ohdear:

It tanks your ability to generate Unity and get tech. Expand slowly.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Jazerus posted:

i'm not sure whether migration controls can remove the "migrating" status if implemented after the pop starts moving; they obviously should be able to though. if you already had the species set to migration control on before the abduction, then something might be wrong with migration control in general.

I didn't change anything - they were pre-set to be on lock-down. I abducted maybe 4 pops during the war and this happened with all of them. Save's long gone but maybe that civ had a migration treaty with the one they were going to? Kinda sucks assimilators are busted :(

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Thyrork posted:

Expansion also means shutting prospective rivals out of space you can use later.

It also means border friction so that's another thing to weigh up.

Its just fair to say that blind expansion isn't the rule of thumb or a good plan. Consider that 2 energy 2 mineral star nearby. By itself its not really worth the cost, but would it lead you to richer systems or keep your neighbors from trapping you in?

That part is what you're paying that unity/research malus for.

Also you don't have expand from your borders. Influence costs scale linearly and if you can skip that system to cut off a neighbor, go for it. My current empire has big empty pockets because the systems simply aren't worth the overhead and there's no danger of anyone building in them.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

DD stands for what? Destroyer something?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I haven't played since just after Cherryh dropped and it sounds like they're planning on doing another major shakeup - I saw something about planet tiles maybe going away? Is this story pack a major change patch like Cherryh was, or will that come later?

TIL star systems can have more than 2 stars! Thanks, video games. Apparently we've observed up to seven in a system.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

BrandorKP posted:

156 hours in and I have even gotten Horizon Signal.

Feels like I get it every game.

God I love the Worm. And the Worm loves me.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

What's the best way to approach anomalies now? Always just research even if it takes a while or send science ships later with more skill?

I always just research it unless the level disparity is huge and I have another scientist available who'd be better, or if it's a land-grab situation and having it surveyed is more important.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Here's a fun bug. If you go the biological ascension path and get the final perk, you will never see the Gene Tailoring tech come up, as the tech unlocked does what it does plus unlocks some unique traits. This makes infiltrating pre-FTL primitives impossible, as that specifically requires Gene Tailoring.

iospace posted:

I usually play on ironman because I'm a sucker for achievements.

Fun fact, you can savescum ironman by killing the process from the task manager or OS equivalent. Gets you back to last auto-save.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ZypherIM posted:

Uh, you're wrong? Gene tailoring is required for Targeted Gene Expressions, which is the required tech for the second bio ascendancy perk.

Ah my bad, I do indeed have the tech, but the primitives are a little too primitive to infiltrate.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So how many people actually bother with the ship designer? In my last 2 games (Captain difficulty) I've had no problem with fleet composition. It helps that I can consistently out-tech the AI, but even against the contingency and the prethoryns I didn't have much trouble. Is tailoring your fleets more necessary at higher difficulties?

I'm also wary of bothering with the ship designer because the fleet manager is still so wonky. Even with only auto-generated designs, with all fleets fully upgraded, still it sometimes wants to reinforce all of my corvettes, thinking I'm at 0/50, when I'm actually full or even over (like 80/50, which happens if you do reinforce unnecessarily).

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So wait, is there a difference between opening the fleet manager and adding X of ship Y to a fleet and clicking reinforce vs docking the fleet in a shipyard and building the same? All I've been using the fleet manager for is dictating fleet composition using only auto-generated designs (plus any event ships merged into the fleet) and invariably it gets all hosed up. If I can avoid the headache by just docking and building I'll do that.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How do you check how much threat you have? I just vassalized my neighbor and got a bunch of hostile diplomatic events that must be because of threat, but there's no indication how threatening you're perceived to be or how much the different war goals contribute to it.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How does that jive with waiting til the discovery tradition to get more anomalies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Here's a fun bug: the grand herald can't be upgraded, but if you put it in a fleet with upgradable ships it will downgrade to tech 1 everything. Then it's worthless.