Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Huh? I've been using the in-game UI scaling option, has this not been working for anyone else?

I'm running with 2x UI scaling at 5120 × 2880 (via Nvidia's DSR) and the window sizing is fine.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I gave the new Mastery of Nature a try, and while it's underwhelming to only get +1 land on a size 17 world, it is hilarious to enact the edict and see the target planet literally inflate to match the new size.

Did anyone else assume that the +tile amounts would be 10-14: +3, 15-19: +2, 20-24: +1?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Aethernet posted:

This appears to be about how war exhaustion works. If you win a combat but lose a significant portion of your naval cap in ships, you get more war exhaustion than the opponent and so it counts as a defeat. I don't think the game gives starbase loss enough war exhaustion points right now.

I don't think losing a starbase counts as any war exhaustion except for the normal stuff you'd get from losing control of a system.

I'm trying a workshop mod which reduces war exhaustion from losing ships to 25% of what it is now, and halves the annual gain from just time in war. Right now it feels too low, but the AI is definitely able to win chunks of territory in wars. There's definitely a sweet spot in between where the numbers work best.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

That Guy Bob posted:

Fanatic Spiritualist + Beacon of Liberty + Traditional trait is honestly kind of gross, it's 100 years into the game and I've got psychic jump drives and habitats all over the place. I'm by far the tech leader and everyone not a xenophobe or devouring swarm are my bffs.

And the entire time I only had 5 settled planets and a handful of systems. I think not expanding is the way to go now, rip playing wide.

Spirtualist-Egalitarians can get a dirty amount of Unity by using Utopian living conditions and rushing Paradise Domes first.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

fantastic in plastic posted:

My empire is at war. I've planted my flag in 4 enemy systems, conquered an enemy planet, and made their fleet retreat in shame. Why am I losing the war by 60%?

War exhaustion doesn't work as a war score in the traditional paradox sense. You're winning the war, but you're close to being forced to end it by the defenders because of the ship losses you have taken. Winning battles isn't important, only ships that you've lost matters. You're probably at a high war exhaustion because you lost ships assaulting a station, while losing a station doesn't really affect the enemy's war exhaustion.

When you hit 100% war exhaustion and the defenders take a Status Quo peace, you'll keep all of the systems you controlled and claimed. If the AI thought it was winning the war, it wouldn't take the status quo until you forced them to 100% exhaustion.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Wiz, be very careful about applying this to the defending empire. An empire losing a war against determined exterminators doesn't necessarily have the option to surrender and cut their losses.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

hobbesmaster posted:

At a certain point your economy will be wrecked so badly you can do nothing but desperately cling on. Losing influence and unit makes sense here at least.

Defense wars need a bonus to war weariness or something though. Or at least it needs to be able to go down after a decisive victory? Or maybe you can always liberate your own planets with a CB even if pacifist?

I guess I'm more concerned about multiplayer abuse. The AI will peace out if it hits 100%, but a hostile player can decide to lock you into a 100% exhaustion state so long as they're willing to take the hit as well.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Taear posted:

The game needs to stop the AI declaring unwinnable wars.
My federation is in one and it's -1000 to do what they want to do which is "end threat". Why let the poor things do it?

End Threat isn't a real War Goal, which is why they're -1000 to use it. It's an exterminator type war, which means they're gaining - losing systems as the war progresses instead of transferring the held claims at the end.

Eventually the war will end because the winning side hits 100% war exhaustion and they sign a peace, but the borders stay where the front lines ended up.

Of course, if you mean they started an unwinnable war because they're getting destroyed, that's federations for you.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Taear posted:

Oh no they're not. They're not really doing anything. But the other side has been at -100% war exhaustion for ages and nothing is happening.

That's intentional. 100% exhaustion forces you (until the beta patch) to accept a peace treaty. It doesn't require the other side to send one. They're probably up against a wall of star bases and don't think they can push further.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

basic hitler posted:

I haven't played really since around the time of the robot addon. I actually liked warp, and i find hyperlanes irritating horse poo poo, to the point i'm kinda iffy about playing now.

Is the new expansion good, otherwise? It'd have to be drat amazing to make me want to put up with hyperlane but i've got an open mind if it's not bullshit otherwise.

Try it out, and if it turns out that you like the new outpost system but hate hyperlanes just crank up the density to absurd levels and hide it on the main map.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

So, a devouring swarm just surrendered to a enigmantic observers type fallen empire, and now that empire owns a quarter of the galaxy. Is that supposed to happen?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

imweasel09 posted:

I don't know how they enforced it with the -1000 modifier but since devouring swarms only have total war CBs, agreeing to it means they instantly cede all of their territory.

The Fallen Empire used the 'Punishment' CB, which doesn't have the -1000 modifier for surrender. Combining that with the always total wars vs. an exterminator type empires and that swarm was toast.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Habitats had to be nerfed, it was trivial to create an infinite spiral of energy and minerals with resource replicators. The only limiting factor in building more habitats was the micro involved.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

How do you prevent sync errors?

Try the 2.0.5 beta, I think it's just multiplayer stability fixes.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

DatonKallandor posted:

Nah I think pretty much everyone would agree that just integrating it into the fleet manager so you can quickly refill your army template would solve most of the problems in the short term.

This, and instead of having armies represented as separate units they simply attach to fleets or planets, magically teleporting to them after a few months. To prevent abuse just block moving armies around like that in systems with hostile starbases.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Has anyone else started out with no habitable planets nearby?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's why I skim over posts unless there's pretty pictures...

Speaking of which, with the changes to how systems now spawn in clusters I've noticed some pretty funky galaxies getting generated now; in fact, to be blunt, the new system is terrible. After having to restart a few times to see what else can come up I've noticed that you don't seem to be guaranteed your two expansion worlds any more and very frequently you'll start getting a mishmash of garbage worlds and multi-planet systems. And sometimes you won't get anything at all:

This is a 1000 system, large galaxy with habitable worlds set to 1.5x and primitive civs set to 2.0x (I like running into new people). For some reason though I've spawned with nothing around me and the nearest habitable planet being 4 jumps away and the wrong biome (I'm tropical preference). Restarting a few more times and using the 'observe' command there seems to be no consistency in starts. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get what's pictured above. This is when running the game with no other mods.

Ok, so it's not just me. I'm taking the 'no habitable worlds' start as an interesting challenge, at least until an AI without that handicap shows up and mops the floor with me.

Luckily I did find a similar biome, adapatble pre-spacefaring species. I've stolen their homeworld, and they'll get to work in my arctic acid mines once the culture shock wears off.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

ZypherIM posted:

Interesting, I'm running 600 stars (4 arm spiral) and 1.25x hab and 1x primitives and I had 2 same-planet types near-by (1 right next door, the other in the adjacent 'cluster', and 3 more off-biome planets similarly close. I generated a couple more games and each of them had 2 on-biome worlds nearby and 2+ off-biome worlds. What galaxy shape are you using? I guess I could try pushing to 1000 stars and swapping types and maybe try not-ironman to see if I can see what you're doing.

Also check to make sure you're not accidentally running life-seeded?

edit: generated 3 more at 1000 stars and every one had 2 on-biome along with some off-biomes. 4 generated with ironman and all had 2 on-biome, and off-biome. 4 done at 1.5x hab with similar results. Going to try different shapes now.

The only changes to the defaults I made in my planetless start were 12 instead of 8 player empires, and random start locations instead of clustered.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Has anyone else's emperor started with no traits, or has a shipset mod I'm using broken something?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Baron Porkface posted:

All of a sudden my consumer goods production went way down, my economy crashed from unhappiness game over.

Just buy more from the market until the issue corrects itself.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Unemployment isn't a problem, just get your nobles to keep the serfs in line until they can be put to virtuous work again.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

You might want to set the pop balance a little higher than 0, I'd bet that these initial values were set so the Half-Breeding Ascension perk actually works.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I think that the source of the stutter must be in the global ship pathfinding thread's logic, it's pausing ship movement while it recalculates daily. Either that process was redesigned in 2.2 and broke a buffering system, or it never ran poorly before trade was introduced and the new mechanic is causing that process to respond slower.

A simple (haha hahaha) fix is to run the trade pathfinding on a separate thread from the ship pathfinding so they can be computed in parallel, if the trade pathfinding is slow it wouldn't actually cause any noticable animation issues this way. Another option would be to stop calculating trade daily, and move it to a monthly process. You'd still get a monthly stutter, but it'd be less noticeable.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 14, 2018

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Arghy posted:

I think i'm just at the fine line between it being worth the penalties and it being crippling.

Do the math. Going from 3 to 4 planets in your game scenario will give you 33% more income in exchange for 20% additional costs. This is always a net gain. Because the penalties are linear, going from a 4th world to a 5th now increases your income by 25% more, but the higher costs are only 17%. Expanding is always a net gain. Getting more admin points is good, but you should absolutely give no fucks about it otherwise.

Also, these penalties are only to soft resources such as unity and technology. Your mineral, energy and alloys production have no penalties at all and lead directly to you kicking other empire's asses.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 26, 2018

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

No, because sprawl is mostly based on planet districts and not colonies.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Maybe the reason Admin Cap is confusing people is that every other cap in the game has exponentially scaling penalties for exceeding it, but this one is strictly linear and not at all penalizing.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Libluini posted:

I on the other hand, can endure everything besides the game actively crashing or being so slow it hurts. Luckily the game runs fine, just very slowly. Like, it took me half an hour to just get through the first five years. If that speed stays like that, I'd need something like 10+ hours for the first century!

Sometimes I wish I would encounter some of the other bugs in exchange for a faster game

What hardware are you running this on? A brand new 18 empire galaxy runs about 1 year / minute on a 4 core 4 ghz processor for me.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 7, 2019

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

You'd still need consumer goods for research, so you can't completely abandon them.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

QuarkJets posted:

Related, in my first-ever game like a month ago I was in a federation and my partner wanted to declare war on a mutual rival. I didn't pay attention to the cassus belli but was down for my first war experience so I voted for war

After awhile of winning we won the war and our opponent was suddenly gone; we kept the few stations that we had claimed, but the rest of their stations disappeared and their planets reverted to being neutral, and I got the message that they were wiped from the map. But we weren't even close to taking all of their stations or planets

That sounds like your federation partner claimed the home system of a life-seeded empire.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

THE loving MOON posted:

I wish you could force your alliance to vote on ending a war. Ive been locked in an idiotic ieealistic war since shortly before the Unbidden invasion and now it's looking like I have to go crack a whole bunch of hive mind planets just to avoid losing a few systems to status quo. :mad:

Couldn't you just take those systems back?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

They should scrap sector resource specialization entirely, and have all of the auto building biases based on the planet designation. The former doesn’t make sense now that you can’t simply cover a planet in mines or labs.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Sure, but if I'm getting new human pops almost as fast as I can build districts and buildings, how does the extra pops from robots help?

Do unused robots count towards the unemployment stat then?

You really aren't growing that fast, unless you're playing on fast-fastest and building responsively. If it's a mineral problem, get those robots into the mines to build more robots!

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Blorange posted:

They should scrap sector resource specialization entirely, and have all of the auto building biases based on the planet designation. The former doesn’t make sense now that you can’t simply cover a planet in mines or labs.

:toot:! Also I declare all future expansions in royalties.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Taear posted:

Honestly you could do that now with every precursor world.
Although it might look a bit weird with the Cybrex.

I don't mind the Cybrex, a ruined ringworld is kickass but it plenty of resources and mid-game research to bring online.

Fen Habbanis outpaces your production existing production in decade. I'd like it a lot if it required some archeology project to activate just to bring it back in line with the others.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 14, 2019

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Darkrenown posted:

Hmm, the AI was meant to be updated to be able to declare on non-bordering targets. I hope someone didn't just delete the diplo range penalty... :ohdear:

If I were a programmer with a hammer I'd see the war declaration logic that checks for diplomatic range = 0, and just set diplomatic range to be 0 all the time.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Martout posted:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1187059825445916672

+50% habitability, +50% army health, + 50 year life span, -25% pop growth but more ability to gain pops from planet blockers

should be interesting!

Losing 1 pop per planet every 11 years from that growth malus is pretty brutal, but there's a golden era in the midgame where the habitability bonus makes up for it before terraforming techs go online for other races. This is just screaming determined exterminators.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

TraderStav posted:

Made quite a bit of progress. Questions about war:

Prior to declaring war I claimed their systems in the SW portion of their territory, Sceptrum back to my territory. After it began I also claimed Unur. I also pushed into their territory from my Northeastern line and ended up just steamrolling all the way to their homeworld.

- If I understand correctly, I cannot push this AI out of the game unless I claim all of the systems that they have worlds on (even after the declaration of war, it seems?).
- If I end the war here, I give up all the systems I am currently inhabiting?
- What's the best path forward then, sue for peace, regroup and then lay more claims? There's no way to just roll through and dominate?

Important note for peace, the center, "Status Quo" option is not a white peace. If you occupy systems that you have claims on they will become yours after a status quo, and it's possible to both lose and gain systems. A historical analog is the armistice line from the Korean War.

1. Yes, you have to claim their worlds to capture them after the war is done, and they're still in the game until they lose their last planet.
2. Yes, if you don't have claims.
3. You can roll through and dominate if you're playing a race of murderous bastards akin to the Borg or Zerg or whatever, which have special 'total war' CBs which instantly transfer the system to whoever occupies it. That is determined by civics at the start of the game, and I think most of these options are in the expansions. For your situation, expansions is limited by your claims and influence, but tech and traditions will make systems cheaper to claim as the game goes on.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

A lot of people noticed that there isn't a spiritualist or egalitarian focused federation type, so I hope the base federation has enough ethics specific options to make them unique.

All I really want is the option for a spiritualist focused federation that adds a large +spiritualist ethics shift for its members and a nice Join Federation CB to encourage more converts.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

It looks like Paradox is taking some extra time to address the playerbase's concerns with performance and the AI's ability in general. Releasing over the holidays didn't go so well last year, so I'm glad the team is avoiding that potential disaster.

grekulf posted:

Moving on to Federations: During PDXCON 2019 we said that we would give more information on the expansion later during the year – and today we want to share some news that Federations is targeted for release in early 2020. Although we understand that some of you might be disappointed that Federations will not be released in December, we want you to know that we are taking more time to make sure that the next update is going to be amazing.

In addition, to give us the best chance of improving some of the pain points you’ve shared with us, we have assigned some of our team members to focus solely on trying to improve performance and AI. It is very important to us that 2.6 does not compound any of the current issues with the game, and that we can take the time we need to address some of the issues remaining from 2.2. It’s important to remember, however, that working on these kinds of issues is not a sprint, but a marathon – it's something that is constantly being worked on over longer periods of time.

Full Dev Diary:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-161-development-update.1285424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

It's a poor design decision to appease the majority of players who don't understand how the admin cap was supposed to work, probably because Paradox keeps naming these things you're meant to exceed caps.

Also it's the only 'Cap' that doesn't take into account your actual capacity, just how much you exceed it.