Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Maybe the energy is just funding all the research grants and scholarships it takes to percolate up a scientist of that caliber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

What is the difference between point defense and flack?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wassbix posted:

Lot of pacing issue stems from the fact that AI is so bad even at the hardest difficulty, once you hit the post-eco phase around 2300 only thing left is to roll over all the AIs/Fallen Empire and sit on your hands till end-game crisis starts.

I found setting mid-game / late game crisis timer forward by 100 with Crisis difficulty 5x makes the game super dense and threats are abundant.

What do you mean by the post-eco phase after 2300?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wassbix posted:

Usually (depending on RNG) you can hit around 1 ~ 1.5k minerals a tick with stable energy by 2300 which lets you field like 200k+ worth of fleets with infinite reinforcements which is enough to roll over everything in the game.

1K mineral a month by 2300 is just astounding to me. I guess I still have a lot to learn about really growing my empire's economy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Just adding to a previous comment that in my most recent game the only FE that spawned was the machine refuge one. They were bros who gave my species lots of useful injections and science dumps.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In my most recent game the Marauders spawned next to a FE. After the Great Khan event fired the Khan promptly invaded the caretaker's ringworld system and died.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In my most recent game I wiped out a clan of marauders. I got a message saying their survivors were going to attack one of my home systems. I rushed fleets halfway across my empire to meet them but nothing ever showed up.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Had the rogue scientist event chain start while trying observing an early space age civilization. I decided to head it off at the pass and enlighten them into being a space faring civilization. I'm guess it's a bug because the event chain continued even after the civilization became my protectorate.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The prethoryn invaded square in the middle of the fanatical purifier empire. So far my federation, the only other major power in the galaxy, hasn't bothered to help. In part this is because we can't get to the swarm on the other side of purifier space. I'm trying to decide if I should declare war on the purifiers once they're weak enough, or if I should wait until the scourge push to my stupidly heavily fortified border chokepoints.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

IIRC in the Gal Civ series some of the more interesting ideas for genuinely different planet types were Toxic, Radioactive, and High Gravity. Throw in molten worlds and gas giants. It would also make migration treaties much more interesting when there are entirely different classes of worlds that different species cannot cross habitate.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Grey goo/VN berserkers are a good untapped crisis idea

VN beserkers were one of the more fun enemies in Sword of the Stars

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hungry posted:

I've just had The Contingency spawn. Other than replacing all the armor on my ships with shields, what other tips for fleet-composition might help me not die here?

I've seen it mentioned repeatedly that Contingency fleets have high shields and armor but low hp. So go for weapons like arc emitters that bypass both and hit hull directly.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Gonna jump back into this once I'm done with finals. Thinking of playing as space dwarfs for my next run which will be my first to shoot for synthetic ascension. Obviously will use an alpine environment. Probably will take the long life, bonus minerals, and slow pop growth traits. Not sure what ethics would best fit. Any suggestions?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Grouchio posted:

It was a mod with a german namelist, german themed ships and cities, a german clothing set and and german symbol set (imperial, nazi, republican, etc) with some custom-made starts.

I just like playing as an Imperial non-nazi Reich. :shrug:

Think we found the problem.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I tend to make multiple sectors just because it feels more "realistic" for my sense of RP in this game. Then again I usually play on lower difficulty levels because once I hit a decent enough level of challenge I care more about making RP decisions work as opposed to min-maxing my empire.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Splicer posted:

a missile class plague torpedo or a fleet transport that that drops plague bombs instead of armies seems like a natural progression.

Liir player spotted. Next you need a cloaking module that lets you slip invisible fleets through enemy chokepoint systems.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Splicer posted:

Morrigi were my poison, as evidenced by my inability to stop building hangar cruisers and battleships no matter how bad they are.

Sup psychic space dragon bro. I was so happy way back to upgrade my computer way back when. Meant my swarm of anti=matter warhead dumbfire missile rack armed drones didn't murder my framerate along with the enemey fleet.

e: I should figure out how to do a Zuul themed devouring hoard run in Stellaris.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

3.75) The lead designer was the grognardiest gently caress who was 200% into his inchoate concept of "realism" in space battles and making players earn their fun.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Aethernet posted:

3.77 The lore of the game was genuinely brilliant, still memorable to this day in terms of the uniqueness of alien races and how their character came across in game mechanics. SOTS2 pissed all over this by ensuring that none of the stories will ever have a proper resolution.

The universe is a really cool setting with interesting twists on classic sci fi races plus some original stuff. Of course in SoTS 2 the lead writer had to start Mary Sueing the gently caress out of the perfect magical space dolphins.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Not even so much that it was ahead of the technology as it was abysmal project management and massive egoism from top to bottom of the production.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hiveminded posted:

Yeah Wardell is easily a piece of poo poo at least as terrible as Mecron and the Stardrive guy.

I've recall hearing about a sexual harassment lawsuit or something of that nature. Is there a good source that summarizes why Wardell is a piece of poo poo?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think I maybe found a bug in the ship designer? The ghost signal just fired so I decided to rip the synthetic AI computers from my ships as a preemptive measure. The ship designer will not let me save the refits. If I change the targeting computer type to the yellow one in a different postion (line to artillery for example) it saves fine. But then when I view the new design it has the AI computers despite my specifically not selecting them. If I create a new ship design using the advanced computer and save it also shows up as an AI computer.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Gadzuko posted:

Is auto upgrade on? Maybe it's "helpfully" upgrading the computer to the higher level model rather than just ignoring your input.

Auto upgrade and auto build are off.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PittTheElder posted:

It also sounds like you were relying hugely on static defenses to stop hostile fleets which is pretty questionable.

Some of my favorite sci-fi battles involved huge fleets attacking a heavily fortified station. Babylon 5 versus the Earthforce loyalists or Deep Space 9 holding off the Klingons/dominion. I wish in the lategame it was practical to have a handful of huge fuckoff titan level space fortifications protecting key systems.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Vengarr posted:

A Citadel that's fully kitted out for defense with the max number of defense stations can have 40k-ish fleet power, enough to hold off all but the strongest fleets.

The NSC mod has an extra-tier space station that's supposed to be even stronger than that. Think I'm gonna give that mod another try.

That mod sounds relevant to me. 40K fleet power isn't that much when fleets of 70-90k are being thrown around.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Against prethoryn I have the best luck using battleships screened by corvettes. Battleships get tachyon lances and neutron torpedoes and all armor or crystal forged plating slots. Corvettes get the prethoryn missiles if you've salvaged them and if not regular torpedoes plus a plasma gun. They also get either all armor or crystal forged plating. Use afterburners if they aren't maxxed at 90% evasion. IMHO point defense against prethoryn is a trap because you need so much you won't have any room left for offensive weapons. This composition has to eat the alpha strike but hopefully your high evasion corvettes will tank most of the damage and disengage. A battle group should be one fleet of ~20 battleships and another of ~180 corvettes.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I personally like the idea that FEs are using tier 8/9/10 etc crazy advanced technology and the tier 5/6 stuff we get from analyzing them is best we can reverse engineer from technology far beyond our understanding.

I'd like to see a few fallen empire or precursor events similar to the L-gates. Something that you can't even interact with until your science is advanced enough in the late game to begin making sense of it, but has the potential for gaining powerful technologies. Sort of like how the covenant navy become so powerful by reverse engineering Forerunner artifacts. Along those lines it would be nice to have a few more powerful / dangerous locations to fight over in the medium to late game. "Have to steal the precursor shipyard from the fanatic purifiers before the reverse engineer Tier 3 spinal mounted guns for their battleships" or something similar.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ConfusedUs posted:

I want there to be a middle stage between the Fallen and Awakened empires. One where they are clearly active. They're doing things. They're attempting to guide other empires towards a goal of some sort. They can make requests and reward the empires who fulfill those with money or tech or new worlds or stuff. Refuse and they go elsewhere, or perhaps retaliate.

Ultimately I'd like to see them as another form of mid-game destabilization that shakes things up like the Great Khan.

We probably need a diplomacy/espionage rework before this is really feasible, though.

That also more accurately describes how they behaved in the early parts of B5 before it all hit the fan. Would make the war in heaven more interesting if some FEs and empires were already aligned to a degree.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Playing psychic fanatic spiritualist rock people. So far it's a ton of fun.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

With the new origins how would you build the Kushans from Homeworld? Also anyone know of any good Homeworld namelists?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's going to make War in Heaven and Crisis way harder if I can't spam all the rare resource ship boosts. I always imagine my pops shoveling loads of crystals into the fusion reactor like some kind of coal battleship in space.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Just echoing the idea that strategic resources seem stuck in this zone between "Anno style production chains for late game tech" and "unique, rare, powerful and game changing effects and abilities".

I'd be okay with either, or even having both approaches integrated better. Say tier 4/5 technologies just require a third tier production building minerals -> alloys -> hyperalloys or something. But strategic resources give you unique and limited abilities / edicts / components and cannot be easily synthesized. Capturing strategic deposits and having resolutions about their productions and trade would help ad a sense of terrain and deepen the diplomacy. Also because I want my megacorp to play space opec and ensure that the fanatic purifiers can't get any valuable space oil.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

pmchem posted:

I think PDX should just fix the AI starbase bug and not change the core gamplay mechanic.

The thread I linked goes into great detail and it looks like the fix shouldn't be that terribly hard.

Oh they should definitely do that. I was just responding to the poster above me observing that there isn't really anything to do with living metal or nanites.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Schadenboner posted:

I think Stellaris is giving me a metaphysical crisis over what "fun" actually means: like, I'll spend hours (and hours and hours) doing micromanagement and I'm not sure if I'm actually having fun/enjoying myself or if I'm just telling myself that I'm having fun/enjoying myself?

:ohdear:
Stellaris is my favorite game to play while listening to a podcast or throwing hour long YouTube vids up on the other monitor.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's a fun game. I also find my excitement drops going into the midgame. The cognitive load goes down and the micromanagment goes up. At that point it's the perfect level of mental engagement to fiddle with while drinking a beer and working through the FPlus backlog.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It would be a cool mod to start in the Sol system with post climate change Earth as a toxic world and a small human colony on Mars (capitol: Elonopolis)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I wonder if you could model the dome as an irremovable tile blocker that gives +hab% to like 70 but takes up the majority of district slots?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

There is no meaningful choice not to go through and click button a hundred times. I've never had the dilemma of "do I build housing or this other thing because I need the resources". I don't know what it would look like but the tradeoffs in what to build feel like they should matter more.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Lightning Knight posted:

Imo the best part of robots in the long term is that they require energy instead of food. Energy has a variety of uses. Food does not. Hence, making more energy and less food to cover upkeep is better overall.

That and not giving a poo poo about habitability, although usually by the time this comes into play you’ve solved that issue with terraforming.

Robots + lithovore is quite fun in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dirk the Average posted:

I really wish I could send some science ships to some sort of off-map location where they can survey random anomalies out in space (sort of like the Enterprise) and generate events and random bits of science and things here and there. They just feel so redundant after the early-mid game when you research all anomalies in your territory and then set them to assist research somewhere and forget about them.

It would be great if additional anomalies could spawn over the course of the game. Maybe having science ships "rechart" systems give the chance for new mid-late game anomalies to unlock. Possibly also gate them behind the more advanced sensor techs to explain why they weren't detected earlier?