Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do you get subjugation or tributary CB? I have the domination tree but every empire I try to declare war on just says I don't have the right CB, but there's no explanation how to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Demand vassalisation or tribute. It should say how to get it if you select the greyed out wargoal during wardec.

Thanks!

Now that I have the war going, I'm not sure how to win it though. I absolutely over-power them and have just been carpet sieging their planets but it looks like I need +200 warscore to win a tributary wargoal. Am I missing something?

Is it because they have an ally in the war I'd need to occupy every single one of both of their planets?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Automated ground troops are pretty good. It seems you don't have to bombard planets at all anymore, there's not fortification bonus to eat up before you invade? Bombardment seems to very slowly hurt enemy defenders but it's often so much quicker to just invade. The only problem I've had at all is that the group troop fleet AI is a little bit timid and I'll often manually order them to land troops and take a planet with no losses despite the Ai not thinking it's quite safe to invade.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope the map scripts are given another look, or modders open up more advanced behavior because anything lower than 1.0 for lane density ends up looking bad. Instead of clumps and clusters the map looks like an intestinal tract of long snaking chains of lanes. I want more choke points, but for those points to between more dense interconnected clusters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

We're going to look into iterating more on the algorithm in the future. It's not just a matter of tweaking numbers, we have to add logic to make secondary passes to create constellations and such.

Yeah I assume now the map just plops stars and then gives each star a random number of adjacent connections weighted by the map script settings. Things like clumps and more interesting "geography" would of course require defining those clumps as things and creating all new logic for how lanes are placed and checks to make sure each clump is connected to the next. I had a couple friends who were really into map scripts for Civ4 and boy oh boy could those get complicated.

I'm just glad to hear it's on the radar or wish list at the office.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a lot of little balance issues, interface improvements, and re-flavouring that probably needs to be done but 2.0 is really good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also there's a lot of jank around upgrades, if your designs upgrade but the fleet hasn't been upgraded it can't "see" those ships anymore because it reports 0 of the current design so thinks there's no ships in the fleet. You absolutely have to keep your ships upgraded or the whole fleet manager goes janky.

What would be really nice is if you lowered the number of ships of a class in a fleet it would give you the option of disbanding just those ships. So say you have 20 destroyers in a fleet and want only 15. You can decrease the number but then it just reports as 20/15 ships but its cleared that space out of the template cap so now you added a couple new cruisers and the fleet sees this is all within cap, so when you hit reinforce it builds those 2 cruisers but can't place them in the fleet because of the 5 extra destroyers. You can disband the entire group of destroyers with one click, but if you just want to get rid of 5 you have to track the fleet down and manually remove 5 destroyers. An extra button on the line-item of the ship class to "cull to size" or "delete extras" would be great, much like auto-reinforcing a fleet also allow a one-click way of auto-disbanding.

What would be even gooder would be a reserve pool. You build ships, they go into a reserve pool and are then deployed to fleets as needed and when you lower the number of ships in a fleet they'd go off into this pool to be used elsewhere, but that would be a big change.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd say my biggest complaint with 2.0 is the newly introduced "starbase micro". There's too many modules and slots and options but so many of them seem pretty bad or of unclear or questionable use. Upgrading defense platforms is the new ground troop attachments in terms of clickfest. Select station from outliner on far right of screen, defense tab, upgrade all button on left side of screen, next starbase from the outliner on the far right, next upgrade all button the far left. Then do this 20 times every time there's a significant new tech.

What would be killer is being able to click on the little upgrade arrow icon from the outliner and have it upgrade everything (same with planets too please). That way you could at least just run down the outliner list clicking upgrade. That or treat them like science ships: we can't design them, so they just are assumed to be upgraded automatically. But I seem to be spending a LOT of time clicking between starbases and doing fiddly starbase management stuff a disproportionate amount of time.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 23, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

I'd like it if my ship contstruction interface didn't constantly get clogged up by auto generated ships. gently caress off, I'll make my own designs :|

Turn off auto-design?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

Fiddling with starbases does seem to be a lot of the game now. I agree that being able to click the upgrade arrow and have it auto upgrade everything on the planet/base would be great. I don't know why some form of mass upgrade is still not in the game after all this time.

I remember some devs mentioning it was a matter of not knowing where to physically put the button. Hell, make it an advanced mode hotkey or something, ctrl U on a planet screen upgrades all. What throws a monkey wrench into things are loving labs, the only buildings that don't have a linear upgrade path. But that could be fixed getting rid of "basic lab" and replacing them from the get-go with basic engineering lab, basic biology lab and so on so the upgrade all button/hotkey would always work and not need any player prompting.

Hell, let me press ctrl U on the main map and have it upgrade every possible thing in my entire empire if I have the minerals for it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"theyy" is the correct pronoun for members of a harmonious collective actually.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really wish there were separate unity and tech speed sliders. I like my tech to come in slower but unity traditions to come in at usual speed. MORE SLIDERS.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Benagain posted:

Random additional question, has anyone actually found a special resource? Cuz I haven't found any on three playthroughs.

They seem to mostly only spawn in nebulas and seem amazingly rare. On my entire explore galaxy map there 1 terraforming gas and 1 teldar crystal. Mapgen really needs another pass. Hmm maybe we need a rare resource slider??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

axeil posted:

I feel bad for Wiz and the QA team that everyone on the Paradox forums seems to think they don't test their games. :smith:

There aren't any real show-stopping bugs right now, I think that's pretty good for a release that changes how pretty much the entire game works.

Yeah I've encountered 0 show-stopping or even really annoying bugs so far. Everything has been "well this interface could be a bit better" or "maybe this could use some tweaking regarding balance" but nothing is broken.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sheep posted:

Is there still no way to flag a system to be avoided? Kind of annoying having my fleets wander into AI fleets/leviathans and getting ruined because I occasionally forget to manually shift-click a path around them.

I'm pretty sure there is when you're in the system view there's some new buttons on the bottom of the screen, one for claims and one to mark the system no-go.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Starbases can make a ton of energy if you fill them mostly with trade depots and poo poo. I'm getting like 40+ energy from each one and my empire's energy balance is only about +20 so those trade-focused star bases are life-savers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Emalde posted:

Why the gently caress do I instantly gain 100% war fatigue from any sort of fleet combat? Even if I "win" (their stack is reduced to 1k and EFTLs out or some such) it treats it as an "Utter Defeat".

The whole war exhaustion system and peace progress could use a balance and probably bug pass.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the point of bombardment now? It will nearly glass the planet before it does any meaningful damage to enemy troops and takes a very very very long time so you're always better off just build a couple more ground troops. Seems mostly useful for playing a very evil empire that gets access to the strongest bombardment to convert them into tomb worlds. But there seems to be almost no worth-while upside to bombardment if you plan on invading. Feels like your ships should provide some sort of capped space-superiority bonus for ground invasions since they're able to destroy anything that pops its head out of a bunker safely from orbit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of the game's problem since launch is presenting players with a lot of potentially interesting options but not giving enough information or feedback for players to choose. Starbases heavily fall into this. Would my defensive station be more effective loaded with gun batteries or a mix of missiles and fighters too? Or will those trade depots pay to allow me to field more effective ships? Are these 300 mineral platforms worth getting vs 300 minerals worth of ships? Should I install the thing that increases weapon range, or decreases enemy shields, or decreases their mobility? It's all just a guess at this point and there's just not enough in-game feedback to figure it out.

It usually takes a turbo-sperg sitting down with spreadsheets and doing scientific tests to finally come to any conclusions, and that's not really fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Guilliman posted:

huehuehuehue
*evil laughter for days*

Square miles?? In a european space game??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm liking the new update but man dealing with newly conquered planets seems to be a real bitch now that you can't just build a bunch of defense armies. Really wish there was a grace period between an uprising occurring and them forming a whole new faction because restarting the timer on the "Recently Conquered" debuff really hurts. Say if you have a starbase there make it take a few months for the rebels to dislodge your guys from there. It could also be nice if there was a tradition/edict/tech/whatever for reducing the duration of "Recently Conquered" sorta like Humanism in EU4.

You hitting them up with martial law?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dorkopotamis posted:

Are habitats still a trap?

Were they a trap before? I'd love them when going tall, I'd just bust out the habs and have like 6 in every system pumping out research and energy. They might be traps now with tech and unity cost scaling making smaller "planets" much much worse than larger ones?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes my fleet power in the outliner is listed in red, what does this mean?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm trying out some combos I've not tried before to see if factions have been balanced out a little better to not allow for "trap" combos but it seems xenophobe and egalitarian are a trap combo. The egalitarian faction demands no resettlement, breeding, movement, or core-worlds population controls yet the xenophobe faction often wants the opposite.

There should be no combo of ethos picks that give mutually exclusive demands. If I'm militarist and I get some pacifist pops, sure, those are opposite ethos, but the factions that result from the official state ethos should never conflict. Egalitarian faction could be fixed by making their demands apply ONLY to pops with full citizenship. They care deeply about the basic fundamental rights of the citizen species, but xeno's aren't people so no rights are being violated by restricting their reproduction or putting them in a caste system or what not.

Am I missing something that makes xenophobe egalitarian combo play nicer with each other?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm having a really hard time playing with the "Tiny X" interface mods, specially for the outliner now that I've got 20 starbases that constantly need upgrading and new modules. We can put planets in sectors but I sure wish we could automate starbases a bit. I just want them to automatically upgrade and re-build their little mini stations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm having a stellaris problem and the problem is every time i load up the game i want to try out a new empire instead of continuing where i last left off

i'm never gonna see the megaweapons at this rate

Same but with map slider settings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is awesome, I've always found it odd how ships just sort of sank and faded out rather than exploded in an obvious way to signal "you just killed a ship". The warp-out escape flash is nice and obvious though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VirtualStranger posted:

Here are a bunch of galaxy generation settings that I think should be in the game, but currently are not:

100% correct, these are all really good sliders that would greatly add to both customization and replay value.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I so wish we could purge based on ideology, or selectively purge as a non-xenophobe? I'll conquer a planet from a spiritualist empire and set them all to displacement, but I'll feel bad for the random egalitarian or poor oppressed materialist and wish I could say "oh, except you guys, you guys can stay"

Would also love to just auto-purge based on ethos!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In terms of how the game scales, systems are going to hit you way more than planets. It's horrible but habitats count fully as a planet for tech scaling, but even after spamming my empire with 12 of them (compared to my 5 planets) it's resulted in a fairly small actual penalty compared to the about 90% from my systems. I think "Tall" is still an option but it would need to be more about density, few claimed systems and a poo poo ton of habs?

When do I get to start building my own stargates? I feel like I'm in the late game and I only finally got the tech to activate the existing ones. What's also odd with the pace of the game is that the space mongolians haven't done poo poo, not raiding anyone and we're well past the mid-game crisis timer but nothing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really don't like scaling costs in games like this. I understand the need for something to prevent total snowballing, but I'd prefer to see some sort of "corruption" or "efficiency" stat that reduces your output rather than bloating the costs, then have techs and government reforms and such that can address that.

I don't want to have to consult a spread sheet to know if expanding to that next juicy planet is actually going to be a net loss, or what the over/under for planet sizes or system resources make it worth claiming. I loved the obvious simplicity of the early civ series corruption mechanic. The more cities you get and the farther from your capital, the more corruption, which leached trade/science away. It was intuitive and simple, you could immediately see and feel the difference when you built a court house or what not. In stellaris I'm having to do math to figure things out. "Ok, this star system is going to bloat my research costs another 2% but it has a +3 society and +2 physics resource in it. 2% extra on my current research projects will be 104 extra points, which means, umm poo poo I don't know what math I need to even do to figure this out"

Like I'm literally too stupid to even understand how to calculate if a new planet or new system is worth getting.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 25, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thanks for the math replies about tech costs and scaling and what's worth it.

I think another problem I have with expansion is that planets upgrade over time, those basic labs become level 1 bio or engineering labs, your newly engineered pops are now producing +10% on them, your happiness traditions and paradise dome have kicked everyone into 100% which gives a bonus, they scale up as the game goes on. Meanwhile a 3 engineering system resource will always be 3 When you're a new empire and producing like 10 of each research, that +3 engineering is great.But by the mid game even that +2 +3 +1 science system might be a net loss.

We could really use a way to boost system resources over time. I think corresponding lab and mining and power plant tech should upgrade system resources to some extent. So that +3 mineral deposit mining station is now producing +5 because you have a few levels of mining tech behind you. That +3 engineering orbital lab is now producing +4 because you researched the next level of engineering labs. This way system deposits remain relevant throughout the game. I'd love to see your race's bonuses come into play as well some how, so my +15% society people would get that +15% on their orbital labs as well. I mean all these stations are being worked by someone right?? Just apply the best bonus available to your empire, would be a nice little reward for multi-species empires.

Simply not claiming systems though isn't really an option as you're brutally punished with pirate events.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

The year is 2264, our civilization has spread among the stars surrounding our homeworld and we have explored further into the depths of galactic space. One of our far ranging scout vessels has encountered a terrifying threat, an unimaginably advanced alien civilization, posessing the power to reshape planets at will, construct vast, system spanning habitats, and reforge their species into living demigods. Our sole salvation in the face of this incalculable potency, is that their society appears to have stagnated. Once, perhaps, this empire spanned the vast gulfs of space, now it is reduced to a mere fraction of its former glory. Upon initiating a tentative contact, our scout craft recorded the following exchange:

"Know, young ones, that we alone serve to contain the destroyer of galaxies, the greatest threat to civilized life in the universe, it resides in the unclaimed space at the center of our last vestige of power, and all our once great might is focused on ensuring it can never escape...

"What is the threat? Can we help contain it if it is a danger to all of us? Can it be destroyed for good?"

The threat... Is piracy! There is no destroying it, no besting it, we are locked in an eternal struggle with a foe which twists the minds of our citizens and sends them against us...

"Wait, pirates? Have you tried building infrastructure in that system?"

"NO!!! The system only contains 2 energy and It would add 2% to our research and unity costs, and we can not abide this insult!"

This but unironically.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wait, you can place habitats anywhere now? Like just freely floating in space? I could have 50 in a star system?

Looks like I found a bug, you can PLACE a habitat anywhere in a solar system just like an old fort, it takes your 10k minerals but once construction is done you get nothing :(

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 26, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gates are really late game but them and wormholes should be moved up by 100 years or so to be more relevant.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the war score system more or less but it can still be a bit fucky.

I'm a huge empire with 4 unassailable fortresses protecting my entire realm. A fallen empire got fussy at me and declared a humiliation war on me. Their fleet was a tiny bit smaller than mine but I was excited for them to smash into one of my forts.

Instead, they ignored me and went after the random tiny country on the other side of the map I had a defense pact with. I ran in behind and took the fallen empire's fortress and destroyed all their defenses which was quite the coup but despite taking few easily replaced losses it shot my exhaustion up about 30%. I ran home before their fleet could counter-attack and hoped again they'd come smash into my fort. They didn't, they went back to beating up my ally. They destroyed their fleet and by the time my fleets were back up to 100% power and bristling with Titans and ready to go invade their home world, I was forced into peace as exhaustion reached 100%.

The only thing I did in the war was sneak attack the enemy homeworld, destroying their defenses and bombing their capital, then retreating back to my lines. It was a defensive war and they never attacked me, but I was still forced into a humiliation because they wrecked my stupid ally I didn't care about. It feels like we could use a separate peace mechanic or something. Or since their wargoal was to humiliate me, not my tiny ally, they need to inflict some damage on my actual empire.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does anyone else find their titan is always the first ship to die?

I'll go into a battle with 10 battleships and 20 cruisers and lose 4 cruisers. I'll go into a battle with a Titan, 5 battleships, and 10 cruisers and lose just the titan and maybe a cruiser every time. It seems like enemies focus-fire on the titan.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only reason I have carriers is that they seem to be the only way to get point defense for your fleets. I have no clue what the new meta is and I'm not really enjoying the ship design changes so much because the feedback is still mostly useless. Great, weapon options have more defined functions, but I have no clue how to translate my battle reports (when I even get them, so many end with nothing coming up at all) into meaningful fleet composition or design changes.

Did I lose that battle against an evenly match enemy because I had too many small ships? Too many big ships? Not enough anti-shield weapons? Wasted fleet power on carriers? Need more long range weapons? Need more short ranged accurate weapons? I have no idea. I can get a general sense that I need more anti-shield or anti-armour weapons, but I have no idea how to weigh if I should be swarming with smaller ships or if my big ships will do better with more of a screen. I'm not even sure how to judge which AI to give ships. What's the pro/con of swarm vrs line?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

It gives you efficiency readouts for each damage type, look at the ships you're fighting and see how they're built and look at your guns and see what they do best at. Also your hit rate is generally indicative of whether your guns are too inaccurate.

Each of the AIs has different stats too, you decide based on that primarily.

Since each weapon now specializes in doing one thing, or is super bad at doing one thing, is there any reason to not just have a balance of weapons? Kinetics to kill shields, plasma to kill armour and hull? Some small mount lasers for targeting smaller ships? Outside of some space monsters that are 100% hull or some threats that focus super heavily on shields how much design tweaking is really needed? What do you look for in enemy fleets to know what to respond with?

Say I click on a potential enemy's main fleet and I see they have a ton of destroyers, some corvettes, and a couple cruisers. They all look like they have an even mix of low level armour and shields and they are armed mostly with lasers and the odd missile. What would the correct "counter" to a fleet like this be?

Or the materialist fallen empire who just absolutely obliterated me taking almost no losses when my 90k fleet smashed into their 80k fleet. Knowing the materialist FE's ships, what's the correct counter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reveilled posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a galaxy so friendly before. There is literally two rivalries in the whole galaxy, between the UNE and COM and the southern Fanatic Egalitarians and their authoritarian neighbour. Everyone just sits around and trades a lot.

Also, goddamn it can be painful expanding with 0.75 lanes. There's an artisan troupe two stars northwest of my easternmost outpost but getting it in my borders will take twenty-three outposts, yeesh.

I remember someone making a mod that just added more slider-steps to some of the options in the game. I find 1.0 lanes a tiny bit too much and .75 lanes too snakey, would anyone know if it would be simple to just mod more options into the interface, like 0.8, 0.9, or the steps are hard-coded into the map script?