Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
This was true even without mods, but it rarely came up(Things like the Dragon's Hoard, for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Still annoyed/hateful about Wormholes. It's understandable.

I can't judge-I've been in hospital the past month with a laptop that couldn't run Stelllaris even if I wanted to put Steam on it(I don't, as Net access is not a certain measure in hospital.)

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 15, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It's Unity and Research too. So eventually you'll want to use Social Welfare/Utopian. Paying a mineral tax to boost those other yields.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Your race has to allow forced resettlement to do so. Then click a pop, and hit the Resettle button. You can shift them around then, between any two planets.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

if you can just engage in systems that have them.

It seems to me that's a big 'if'. You get very big and covering your entrances gets more and more prohibitive. And then there's keeping fleets there. It probably won't be your main force, that'll be trying to break in to the enemy space. Hell, you might not even have anything to spare beyond your main force as they try to break the enemy's back. So by default they have to 'stand alone' against enemy assault, because they likely won't be getting support, unless the main force is depleted and the fittings are there for them to rest and recover there, which precludes defensive measures on the Starbase by default. Again, the Starbases stand alone, because the fleet's depleted and under-strength and probably swept away.

Finally back home and vaguely mucking around with 2.02. My understanding probably isn't as great as that of others.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 24, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The balance seems to swing between 'all small ships' and 'all big ships' and never has there been a time where all ship types were useful.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

So effectively Harmony's "Bulwark of Harmony" bonus, possibly upgraded, and possibly stacking with it? Sounds vaguely interesting.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The Core's a dumping ground. Literally-'Missing in Action' fleets and the Science Ships that 'disappear' during that one event get sent there before heading home.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress a colonized size 12 planet???

Why wouldn't you? You can get a Planet Capital on it.

No, I mean it, explain why you wouldn't. Habitats are Size 12.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

If there's a thing I'm getting seriously tired of, it's the game not accepting my upgrades because of the name 'already being in use'. Yes, I'm updating the Design of that exact ship, you moronic game. LET ME loving SAVE THE DESIGN. Even when you randomise it still doesn't let you save. And you can't delete the last design of a type.

I turn off auto-create-design, as I should.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Tomn posted:

The main reason I recall this happening is if one of your fleets with that design is currently going through upgrades - upgrades become locked until they're done. This applies even if they're not actually upgrading right now, just heading to a station after being ordered to upgrade. I'm not sure if that's exactly your issue, though, I seem to recall their warning was pretty explicit about the cause of the error being upgrading ships.

So I need to junk my fleet to update my designs? That's stupid and wasteful of the resources that went in. More than that, it's not even letting me save ships of designs I haven't even deployed yet.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Playstation 4 posted:

Still sticking with Auth, Phobes and Spir should suck, and it should suck to be them. Thread title still lol.

Phobes, maybe. Why Spiritual? Does Psi not entertain you or something?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

My bad, I grabbed utopia when it came out so all I know is not everything from it was available for base. Maybe the 3 path options? It was something fairly big.

To ham sandwiches, if adding unity and traditions and ascension perks are "pretty minor" I'm not sure how to approach a discussion of changes made to the game with you. What you consider an impactful change appears to be really arbitrary, and if it isn't impactful enough then they were doing nothing? I'm just going to bow out of this because I've got the feeling there is no way to actually progress the discussion.

I can vaguely see the issue. I think it even came up earlier in this thread, or probably in the previous one.

About half the Ascensions are something of major import: Psi and Super-Genetics and Machine Words and Ringworlds and Colossus and COOL THINGS. Even Habitats. They might not all be truly 'useful', but they change things, or open up really big things. Others are minor modifiers like 10% research. Of course, not all of them can be winners, especially given some are gated behind having a certain amount of other Ascensions first, quite apart from any other gates like tech requirements.

Traditions are in a similar boat. There's a lot of traditions that don't feel 'special'. Not that they're bad, as such. I mean, you take Fleeting, and you can wipe out that disadvantage via either tech or Mind and Body or both. Or take Enduring and live even longer.

As compared to the game without them, they're both major and minor, at the same time. It's odd. I suppose one can say 'they've integrated into the game so far and so much that you can't think of going without them'. They've become part of your planning. I imagine a person could very much run a game like they were Stellaris 1.0 and not use Ascensions at all. I wonder how fun it might be, though. And of course you can't not use Civics since you have to spend those points regardless.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 29, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I'm sort of vaguely wondering at the minute 'are Med Slots worth much anymore?'.

Large Slots vs Large Targets only. And they're good at that.

Small Slots vs small targets only. And they're good enough at that. But the stats of Med slots seems like they don't have enough punch for large, and can't hit small targets, which means they seem to not have any purpose. They're not 'the average option' but the 'worse of all worlds'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Also Assist Research got turned into a Discovery Tradition.

You now trade Food for Minerals or Energy, as a monthly deduction/addition rather than lump sums. You can't trade Energy for Minerals or vice versa at all from the trade stations

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Hungry posted:

The wiki also lies about the best fleet composition to take out the Dimensional Horror, because it just ate 50k worth of delicious mollusc people ships.

As I understand it, it hasn't been updated for 2.0 at all. Same with that beginners guide; it was written pre-2.0, where you could scout with corvettes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Yes, now we are all running disruptor/torpedo corvettes.

Well, that just makes sense-you don't care about the 1 Small, so why not? It's not their job. Let the gun corvettes shoot.

Then again, I barely know what the balance is right at the minute. Something like 'small ships forever, big ships aren't worth the costs'?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

peak debt posted:

Ok so settled Marauder empires might have slightly bugged naval capacity limits

(not shown, three more such fleets in another system)

That guy had like 1200 naval capacity supported by three anchorages.

Or they just get them spawned in like Fallen Empires. That's also a possibility.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Ramadu posted:

so are there some good ship setups? i am very lazy and i feel like my ship designs are bad.

like rail guns + plasma used to be the best but idk now

help a brotha out with some sick nasty setups =)

That combo still works.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Nordick posted:

You're doing the Lord's work, Joeslop.

However, you forgot the one I submitted via PM a while ago. For convenience's sake I'll just post it here so all can marvel at my mediocrity:

Taalgan New Order
The Taalgans first discovered FTL roughly around 1900. Before any ships were built, their already tumultuous society promptly erupted into a global war over claims of space territory. After the war had reduced their world to rubble, the Taalgans faced a long dark age of gradual rebuilding and serious collective introspection. In the launch ceremony of their first FTL craft, 300 years after the discovery of FTL technology, the newly crowned emperor Lyphoros did not give a lengthy speech. Instead, he merely played a video summary of all the wrongs their old world order had wrought. After the video ended, he uttered the words that immediately became the new nation's motto: "Right then, let's not do THAT again", and hit the launch button. Time will tell how long this motto actually endures the volatile Taalgan nature.

Pastebin of the user_ermpire_designs entry: https://pastebin.com/YDv9See0

Hopefully they'll end up as powerful as the Federation did.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Nordick posted:

I'm afraid I do not know which federation you are referring to. :saddowns:

Star Trek. Half the reason they try to be people of peace was they blew themselves up in nuclear war, and only luck with a half-crazy man trying to do faster-than-light to sell the tech getting the attention of a passing Vulcan ship is the reason they're in utopia from tech-sharing rather than all dying off.

They basically said 'Never Again', and 'there has to be a better way'.

The novelisation of First Contact goes into this.

My fault. Sorry.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Point defense is still weak, and Torpedoes are still an extremely powerful choice.

I'm hearing that they're dangerous/very dangerous to actual ships(as opposed to the strike craft and torpedoes you'd expect). Is there any truth in that?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Well, that's frankly terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CDNmLpkUz8&index=1&list=PLEug45oBtA7KPoKR5CNBoKDj9Rt7-Z7NL

Max difficulty, endgame of 2250, 5x crisis. Meanwhile I've never finished a game. I'm not sure whether to just marvel or be depressed. (What am I saying, I'm always depressed.)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Then use that power and take more planets. If you can.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

If you follow the tiles, you don't go far wrong. I'm vaguely aware that AI is fairly hard. But unless there's a real need(Or in the case of Machine Empires, who don't care about Food) it doesn't seem especially hard to say 'if there's a Mineral, use that', and so on. I mean, you can tell Sector AI to Respect Tile Resources, and it will. So why doesn't the standard AI?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The Lylat Wars are spilling out, I see-that's an ARWING, I swear it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Maybe he's playing on the slowest speed, in which case a month is about two minutes.

Or it's later game, where a month can take that long or longer even on higher speeds.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

The generically spiritualist empire should have some kind of hidden luck modifier though, so your techs do almost nothing but somehow you end up on top of most situations just because all dice rolls end up in your favor mysteriously.

Master of Orion 2 had a straight-up 'lucky' trait. Prevented (for the most part) bad events, attempted to keep the Antarans off your back, tried to give you good events.

Thing is, that would have to extend to Anomalies, which are already a serious income source and the point of Discovery. Maybe a Discovery replacement?

Hmm. And better combat rolls could honestly do a lot under Stellaris's combat. Even 5% extra dodge/hit/tracking could actually have a large knock-on effect with certain weapons or enough other tech backing it up.

Spiritualists already get the better odds on Improbable Ceramics and extra +Happy temporarily from Void Clouds and Grand Design. Hmm.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 18, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Most are certain that by default it's completely random.

Meanwhile I do things like leaving a Ascension Perk or two empty for years on end to get, for instance, Psionics when the tech finally allows it. I vaguely wonder if this is stupider.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 19, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Congrats for being able to finish a game. I'm too...flighty. Like I just keep restarting. I'll get some mod or two and start fresh games all the time, or the game gets too slow and I get annoyed, and so on.

quote:

On that note, I wish the game would recognize when two empires of the same species interact with each other. If I'm the UNE and I meet another human empire they still talk like we're two different species.

I'm fairly sure some do even by default settings. It was something they added a while back, I think.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

There is a large weapon from one of the space monsters that bypasses both

Cloud Lightning. 'Early' Arc Emitter(Though as noted it's L rather than X of actual Arc Emitters) with perfect accuracy and an actual tracking score-40%. Nasty stuff, even disregarding the sheer cool factor of pouring out multiple lightning bolts from your big ships. All the Monster Weapons are vaguely worth your time these days, depending on what shows up and when. Mining Lasers are early Plasma weapons with the mods reversed(Less + vs Armour, but more to Hull), Energy Siphon is a very good shield destroyer, Amoeba have problems(As all Strike Craft do right now) but are effectively Tier 2.5 bombers.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 20, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Strike craft start at Speed 300, and advance with the tiers to speed 400.(Amoeba are Speed 300).

Strike craft do advance their evasion as they go up tiers, advancing from 50%(Scout Wing, the only 'Fighter-type' craft left(And thus will chase down missiles and other fighters. All the others are 'bomber-type' and hit ships only). to 80% at tier 3.

Strike craft inherit tracking and accuracy mods on their host. This has been found only recently by direct testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwLWJsJ9xfk . This is not a concern for requlars precisely, has they already have 100% accuracy and 50-70 tracking baseline, but is a concern for the Amoeba, whose base accuracy is 70% to make up for their damage.

Strike craft weapons are range 8. Amoeba are 10. Scouts have range 8, but prefer to be in Range 5 to shoot. All have cooldown of 2, except the amoeba, which is 5(Again, I imagine, to compensate for their damage).

The biggest problem is their turning circles combined with their lack of range. They turn at the same speed as a Corvette(Who usually engage at range 30). That's a problem. A big one. They're not on target a lot of the time. Not that Flak or Point Defence can really shoot them down, either. Strike Craft and missiles alike are simply too fast for either to deal with before they hit/shoot, and strike craft(Even Amoeba, who have health 50 and no armour/shield, unlike the higher tier fighters) have so much health it takes about 10 shots+ to kill a single strike craft of a group of 8. That's 10 full passes from a bomber or fighter, given their speed means the flak/point defence only gets one shot coming in, and none coming out, given the 0.5 firing rate of those. Even a basic Nuclear Missile needs to be shot down in 1.6 days before it hits, given the range on flak/point defence is 30, and the damage isn't there. It gets worse for anti-missile as you go up the missile tree.

Stellaris/common/component_templates/00_strike_craft.txt and 00_weapons_critters_amoeba.txt has most of these. I've been kinda screwing around with strike craft data a bit lately. Also missiles. Trying to understand.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 20, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

That's reasonable. The thing is, those ships might only do 1/2 to 1/3 the damage, but they also need to chew through only half to 1/3 or...more?
Less?(Depending on whether Crystal Infused/Forged plating is in play, and it may not. Also if ship type health upgrades are present) of the HP, despite the positive mods against armour and shields of the others.

The more HP the thing has, the less Disruptor can be worth. The more Armour and Shield are in play as defences, the better Disruptor can do. The AI tends to use balanced defences by default. It's actually kinda hard not to if you use Shields at all, as shields are energy hogs, so you fill the other slots with armour or crystal plating as you have available. Full armour or full health is less of a problem that way in terms of energy, but that's inviting the enemy to go full Plasma and/or Autocannons and melt you, and even the AI could do that much. If it were actually working.

Like, my generic Interceptor design is one Mass Driver(initial range, anti-shield), one Autocannon(For close work, Anti-shield and hull) and one Plasma(Anti Armour/Hull). Nothing's actively penalised vs hull like with armour or shields. There are only buffs vs hull.

Thus. similar setups continue up the size slots of weapons, with only minor variations given Autocannons are Small Only, and the extreme Large weapons like the Proton/Neutron Blasters and the X-sizes which are their own thing in themselves. A mix of laser/plasma and kinetics serves you well against most things, always. In a way it's....kinda dull. The only real opponents you might have to truly use all of one or another is space monsters, because they usually have very extreme defences in one direction or another.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 20, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Basically.

I mean, they've basically ripped out half the game and reworked(Starports, Hyperlane Only, Natural Wormhole, Gateways, weapon/armour system rework, mass tradition changes related to all the above). So we've effectively back in beta, yet we're paying for that privilege. Non-functioning AI, horrific bugs that turn up suddenly(See the recent mess with 2.03).

It was a big thing to do, I imagine, even from their own side. But I also am....annoyed. I'm not a 'RUINED FOREVER' kind of guy, no matter how I feel about Wormholes. But this isn't great. It probably will be....when it's done. If it's done.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It does have multiple end points.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

That could only work by removing customisation completely. There's too many combos of ethics for that. And even if you refer to 'Appearance' alone, it turns the 'Cosmetic' DLCs into something other than what they should be, as they'd need special bonuses, too.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Turning it more and more back into Master of Orion 2 but prettier.

I don't know how I feel, in truth, because I feel I vaguely understand Stellaris while I've never understood Master of Orion 2. Everyone seems to want to do so, or receive such. I don't entirely understand why.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

pmchem posted:

yup, or bonus weapon types vs corvettes, like flak cannons or point defense. Similar effect as what you described, greater odds to inflict damage with a shot because flak barriers (think Battlestar Galactica) are laying fields of fire.

Flak is actually a viable weapon against ships in it's own right, even in Stellaris. The fast fire rate and tracking means it's competitive in terms of damage dealt. And a Flak corvette isn't necessarily giving up anything, because you still have 2 small weapon slots for a mass driver/autocannon and laser/plasma.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

Out of curiosity, what are you using those slots for? I don't usually go with heavily militaristic empires and I find that once I can afford the energy it's a pretty sweet deal filling up the empty slots with assisting scientists who can also thus be leveled up slowly to replace the head scientists as they die out.

I realise I wasn't asked.

Hmm. 3 Scientists for the 3 fields, 2 governors(1 Sector), 1 Admiral. That's 6 of 10 already. 2 more Scientists exploring. That's 8, possibly 9 depending on how much ground needs covering.

Then again, I run Democratic, so at any time one of those might end up as leader, so I'm eating more energy in replacements. And tech means more slots eventually. I guess it's because the exploration phase runs a long while. It's not often there's nowhere to go or nothing to do other than assist, though it certainly can occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Tomn posted:

Genocidal space whales forever

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1317326847

This mod makes several space monsters into constantly spawning threats. Tiyanki are one of them. They aren't the most dangerous, mind you.