Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Do outposts have any sort of upkeep? Like if I just want to connect the dots together but am not going to build anything else in a certain system (to prevent pirates from spawning there)

No upkeep, but each does increase the penalty for science + unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Arven posted:

Is there a basic playguide for 2.0 or should I just watch someone play it on youtube? I'm 4 hours in and have dozens and dozens of outposts and my resource income is insane but my research is so slow that I'm about to enter the midgame and I only have level 3 weapons. I have a 100 feet cap but it's only about 3k strength. I don't think I'm doing this right.

From the sounds of things, you expanded a bit too quickly. Each outpost increases the amount it takes to research a tech or get enough unity to unlock a tradition.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Eiba posted:

I feel like sublight speed is just as, if not more important than hyperdrives now in terms of getting your fleet to get anywhere in a reasonable time.

It definitely is. I neglected my sublight engines and my fleet still takes forever and a day to get anywhere.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

canepazzo posted:

It's really difficult/complex (in a good way) to balance expansion and consolidation; systems have tons of resources now and you always have that 10 mineral system just 2 jumps out from your borders so you must claim it. In the meantime there's 25/30 of each resource unmined within your borders. Then you add stations and colonies into the mix, and it gets even more complex.

It's a really different feel, the game start. A great patch/expansion!

Questions: what does a starbase require, in order to be "dockable" by a fleet (i.e. repairs/upgrade and lower maintenance while docked)? Just the first upgrade, a shipyard? How many shipyards do a fleet upgrade/repair occupy? Is it always the one, regardless of size?

I think any starbase can be "repaired" at, but upgrading requires a shipyard. I think it's always just one, and I don't think having additional shipyards makes simultaneous upgrades possible.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

What I'm not getting yet is if its ever worth it to put more batteries/hangars on a station instead of whatever? Doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for what you get?

To be honest, the specialization encouragement makes it seem like the only real downside to putting more defense on a station is the upkeep. Like, you can't build multiple of the same building like you can with a module, so what other choice is there, really?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hryme posted:

So everyone thinks the marauders are fine? How do you deal with them? I can't find any way to pay tribute even when they have one of their raiding fleets in my territory.

If they haven't contacted you, you don't pay tribute. If they're still in your territory, you're on their path to another empire that they're raiding.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So, my endgame crisis just happened, and the contingency has about 1M fleet power within my borders, and I'm not even at 100k. Anything I can do, or should I just let it all burn?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone has having a problem with jump drives not working? The ships are still using hyperlanes.

Jumpdrives are a special movement option, not a normal one. There's a button up near where the "merge" function is.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I usually play pretty pacifist, but I want to try a fanatic purifier/post apocalyptic empire. Anyone got any tips for ship design? I really like strike craft.. but in the past they've been less than impressive.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Even still, the hyperlane registrar only affects the time to jump, not sublight speed, which is the real slow part of travel. I think I'd like to see outposts given a single, new type of slot you can only ever get one of per system that can do things like increasing sublight travel (for roads), or maybe increasing the output of minerals, energy, or research in the system they're in. Or maybe a minefield for border systems.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Xae posted:

How does scaling for Tech and Unity cost work now?

Is it still based on colonies or is it based on systems claimed?

Both. 2% penalty on science/unity for systems claimed, 5% on science and 20% on unity for planets colonized.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I really don't like scaling costs in games like this. I understand the need for something to prevent total snowballing, but I'd prefer to see some sort of "corruption" or "efficiency" stat that reduces your output rather than bloating the costs, then have techs and government reforms and such that can address that.

I don't want to have to consult a spread sheet to know if expanding to that next juicy planet is actually going to be a net loss, or what the over/under for planet sizes or system resources make it worth claiming. I loved the obvious simplicity of the early civ series corruption mechanic. The more cities you get and the farther from your capital, the more corruption, which leached trade/science away. It was intuitive and simple, you could immediately see and feel the difference when you built a court house or what not. In stellaris I'm having to do math to figure things out. "Ok, this star system is going to bloat my research costs another 2% but it has a +3 society and +2 physics resource in it. 2% extra on my current research projects will be 104 extra points, which means, umm poo poo I don't know what math I need to even do to figure this out"

I don't think it's that bad. The only thing I really had an issue with was unity with my last game, and that's solved by taking discovery first and planting a scientist assisting research on each planet you colonize.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I have two questions!

1) Is there a way to "unclaim" a territory? Can I just disband a starbase and abandon the system entirely? (This is relevant after wars where you suddenly have a non-contiguous stripe of land with nothing but poo poo systems you don't care about or want.)

Yes. Select the starbase and then "dismantle".

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I must be blind because I visually scoured the starbase menu and couldn't find it. Got a screenshot?

If it's an upgraded starbase, it should be "downgrade", then you can dismantle. Might have to do it multiple times.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So, with that system that has 30+ minerals in it - does bad stuff happen if you claim it, or just if you mine it?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I guess I might as well give this a try again

what does "corvettes: 9/7" mean under the command limit thing? I can't see it explained in the tooltips anywhere and google is not helping
Just a guess:

The fleet manager won't delete ships if you've gone from, say, 9 corvettes to 7 in your design. You have to do that manually.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So about how much fleet power should I have before tackling the crystalline asteroid system? That 36 minerals is calling my name..

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Man, do I wish strike craft were worth using.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Do marauders build new raiding fleets? I have some that are rampaging through my empire (I assume because, as a fanatic purifier, I can't pay them off). I can destroy their raiding fleet.. but if it doesn't knock it out for a significant chunk of time, I might be putting this game on hold until something is patched.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 26, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

How are folks finding carriers now? I've got a soft spot for them in SciFi and really want them to work well.

I have them, because I absolutely love carriers too, but I still don't think they're really worth using. I think it'd take a significant revamp to the way they work to make them worth it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Since each weapon now specializes in doing one thing, or is super bad at doing one thing, is there any reason to not just have a balance of weapons? Kinetics to kill shields, plasma to kill armour and hull? Some small mount lasers for targeting smaller ships? Outside of some space monsters that are 100% hull or some threats that focus super heavily on shields how much design tweaking is really needed? What do you look for in enemy fleets to know what to respond with?

Say I click on a potential enemy's main fleet and I see they have a ton of destroyers, some corvettes, and a couple cruisers. They all look like they have an even mix of low level armour and shields and they are armed mostly with lasers and the odd missile. What would the correct "counter" to a fleet like this be?

Or the materialist fallen empire who just absolutely obliterated me taking almost no losses when my 90k fleet smashed into their 80k fleet. Knowing the materialist FE's ships, what's the correct counter?

A balanced weapon loadout is counter to a balanced fleet, yes, but more often than not an AI will focus (even if only by one module) on either shields or armor.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jazerus posted:

here's how I view the AI roles:

swarm: it's for gun and laser corvettes. they should use this because it keeps them in autocannon range.

picket: missile corvettes, because they don't need to be right up on the battle but still should be close, and carrier cruisers so they can intercept missiles headed for the rear with their PD.

line: anything with medium weapons. usually your destroyers are the main component of the line.

artillery: battleships and large-focused cruisers so they can sit at range and pick things off without taking fire.

I still like swarm for missile corvettes because the close distance allows them to bypass *some* PD.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The part of my territory near the galactic core used to be a huge route for marauders because it had two wormholes in it. Then the great khan spawned as the marauders who had been using that route, and now it's abandoned.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I really want a way to better automate assist research. Every time some idiot dies I've got to click on the ship, assign a new leader, click on the ship again, double click a few times to get it to zoom into the system, zoom in a little more manually because some minor asteroid's name is blocking the name of my planet, right click, assist research.

A way to auto-replace leaders without their orders being interrupted would be great. Or just ditch the whole weird assist research mechanic. Why does the scientist need to be in orbit? Why can't they assist from the ground? Maybe just have idle scientists automatically provide some sort of empire-wide bonus comparable to the current assist research system?

Or have an "automatic assist research" order where the ship will automatically fly to the planet with the most research output that isn't currently being assisted. Someone dies? Quick replace the leader, hit the assist research button, and off they go. Anything but the current clickfest.

To make it a little easier, you can click the ship, hit Q, assign the leader, then click the planet and assist research.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jumpdrives require a bit too much babysitting to use as a fast travel method.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This loving lovely federation decided to take out one of the marauders outposts and woke them up and now they're rampaging through my territory while the unbidden eat the other side of the galaxy. Thanks, assholes.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wish Jump Drives were a toggle that gave you the debuff while they're active, and for 120 days (or more) after, rather than having such a long cooldown.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's just that you have to spend 20,000 minerals to build a functional set of gates, or 10,000 minerals + 10,000 energy + 5000 minerals if you happen to have a convenient ruined one.

That's actually a lot of resources. 20,000 minerals buys one hell of a space fleet, or upgrades like hella planets.

By the time I started building gates, I was at my max fleet cap, my max starbase cap, and no planets needed upgraded.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Alright so I am playing a Fanatic Purifier and I am Armageddon bombing a planet and its "Planetary Damage" keeps ticking up to 100%, then resetting to zero. Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Because I am pretty confused and the game is giving me zero feedback.

Once it ticks to zero, it should do one of three things:

Destroy a building

Destroy a pop

Destroy a tile

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I hope they do something to make carriers viable again. They're my favorite thing, thematically, but I just can't justify them with the way things are now.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Until the bug where strike craft fly off the map for larger battles gets fixed there's just no point in even trying.

Shame, because that's kinda what I'd like them to do but in a controllable way.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

My current end game fleet is mostly autocannon swarm corvettes backed by sniper battleships and destroyers armed with neutrons/lances. I can't see much of a use for cruisers at the minute; they're too easy to hit, too thin to take a beating and can't be sniper fit. Maybe as pocket carriers? Those command points are much better spent on battleships.

I think there's merit for cruisers as a raiding force. They're faster than battleships and other cruisers (if fitted with afterburners), and can ruin destroyers and corvettes. That's basically their purpose in naval strategy anyway.

Speaking of which, I'd absolutely *love* to see some kind of submarine analogue that isn't bound by hyperlanes. Cloaking technology is a sci-fi staple that's missing from Stellaris right now.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 3, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Also, are jump drives...working? I just equipped my fleet with them, and they still seem to be using hyperdrives. Not only in the visual sense, it actually still says "entering hyperlane to [blank]" when passing between systems.

Jumpdrives are different now. There's a button up in the top row when you select a fleet with jumpdrives, you click that, then a system within range, and they'll jump to it. But there's a 120 day cooldown between jumps (and you suffer a sizable debuff while they're recharging). Psi jump drives are much better if you can get them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So is it easier to build tall in 2.0? I know that having a “life seeded” start is a thing now, which sounds interesting, and I’m sure play well with droids or the what have you. I’ve always found smaller “taller” civilizations more engaging than wide ones, for whatever reason, and up until this patch it has been a bit frustrating to get one off the ground.

Absolutely. You still want to claim a good chunk of space, but once you have, you won't suffer the penalties to unity and technology as harshly as an empire that's claiming everything. You have a big advantage too, in that once you've claimed the space you want, influence can be spent purely on edicts.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So what perks are people considering a priority, especially with the Executive perk down to a 50% duration?

Engimatic Engineering is basically a must.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why? Because of the sensor bonus?

Yep. That, plus a listening post on a border starbase, and you can see quite a ways into enemy territory.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lum_ posted:

Thinking for inward perfection empires (or fanatic purifiers forting up before exploding) that new perk is pretty much mandatory first pick

Nah, I think Technological Ascendancy is still the first choice because of how much 10% can help early on. It could make for a good second pick, but I'd probably still go with Engimatic Engineering.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

You could also think of +4 starbases as an eventual increase to Naval Cap equal to whatever number of anchorages that is. Or a boost to energy, if you go trading posts instead.

You can only do a trading post if it's in a system that you've colonized (which IIRC gets you an additional starbase anyway) or that has a trader enclave. So it's really just an additional naval cap or for border outposts on enemy empires.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Perks could do a rework, but what im most disappointed in terms of being interested is titan auras. I was hoping for game-changing stuff that really let you specialize fleets.

- shield bubble that protects their fleet at long range
- drone control mechanisms that reduce war exhaustion from losing corvettes and destroyers
- salvo control system that makes all your missiles fire at once with a bunch of bonuses

But instead they're like +5% fire rate.

If they made strike craft not poo poo, an aura that massively buffs build speed on hangar modules would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What's wrong with them? They're bugged or something right

They're bugged right now, yeah, they fly off the map in big battles, but also they're just *bad*. Or at least extremely underwhelming compared to any other sections they compete with. I honestly think they need to rework the way combat is entirely to make them worth using, but that's probably unlikely. As it is right now, battles take place over such a small distance that there's not much point to using them over more torpedo corvettes. The only real value they have is in forcing your opponent to have some flak to counter them, and IMO, that's just not worth it.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 8, 2018