Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tried to do that Fanatical thing and its been stuck on "processing/Pending" for over thirty minutes. Kinda BS. Think I'll just request the order be cancelled/refunded and get it at Paradox Plaza or steam.

Did anyone else have a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hello darkness, my old friend.

I don't know what to play! :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I see this bug is still around. Started with a Slaver Agenda on an Egalitarian empire.

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

The beginnings of a mass extinction event, you say. :thunk:

Obviously mother nature just trying to finish the job.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

drat, I've been completely boxed in by Ancient Mining Drones. How aggressive are these things? Can I slip science ships past them or am I gonna have to beef up my fleet to clear them out?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If you're careful you might be able to manually sneak past them. Run if you get too close and they get pissy about it.

Actually I was thinking of restarting, but I ended decided to toss my 550ish fleet power corvette (+ancient shipyard frigate) flotilla at one of the 750-ish clusters just to see how it went. Surprisingly my fleet won with 3 corvettes and the Frigate left on the field, and didn't even suffer any permanent losses thanks to the retreat mechanic. I think kept building up and sweeping groups with a technically weaker fleet.

Turns out the drones are weaker than their combat power suggests.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

OwlFancier posted:

Weapon loadout is supremely important in this patch, drones in particular only do 25% damage to shields and will take increased damage from both lasers and missiles, so if you build a shield heavy fleet with lasers and missiles you will absolutely annihilate them.

That must've been it, my corvettes were all blue lasers (only improved weapon I had researched at the time) with 2 shields and 1 armor for defense.

Not really familiar with the ship building stuff so far.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Started a new game as militant priest birds with a rather interesting start. Plus I almost immediately discovered I had a neighbor basically next door. Wish I had started exploring that way instead of the other first. By the time I had my science ship swing back that way they'd built an outpost in the system next to my homeworld, which also included a nicely habitable world for me. This, of course, would not do, so I sent my fleet in to try to destroy the outpost before they could establish communications with me. Sadly I failed to do so, they managed to open comms just before the outpost fell. However, nothing stopped me from quickly claiming the system and declaring war, seizing the system in a blitz before he could really respond. After that I just camped the system beating back his attempts to reclaim it by combining my fleet's firepower with the station's until he gave me the system.

It was pretty cool to be able to fight such an early game war (within five years or so of start). I can't help but think I should've taken Cavzek too and really crippled his potential (its a decent world for him). I want to strike again, but sadly I'm bound by this stupid truce and I suspect he'll settle the world or entrench the system before I can. I'm also amazed at how slowly he's expanding (Imulgaron was added after the war) so I wonder if he burned up too much of his economy crash building a fleet to fight me. Either way, I will be doing my best to seize Cavzek eventually, which should keep him from being too dangerous.

Funny thing is, we're both spiritualist empires, but he's pacifist while I'm Militant, so yeah, gonna beat him up :v:

By the way, is there anything good I can do with a rather large energy surplus? Also, should I settle those worlds ASAP? Antares is size 24 and has good looking surface resources. I haven't played in so long and stuff has changed so much I don't know what to do anymore.

[edit] Oh... you guys...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 24, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dumb question, do colony capitals suppress production of non-energy resources on that square?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

How does a containment war against Determined Exterminators work? Is it one of those ones where you keep whatever territory you seized at the end of the war or do I need claims? My expansion attempts against the XTs didn't quite work out as planned and I'm considering assaulting them to seize the two highlighted systems to both slice off a nice chunk of their territory and create a more defensible chokepoint area. I'm just not sure if I need claims. I'm hoping not, they're starting to fortify the Hizzel system and I want to strike before it gets too built up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

War successful. Was able to seize Hizzel in a rough fight that weakened my fleets. Turns out the toasters had a 2k and 1.5k fleet to my roughly 2.7k combined fleets. Thankfully the captured starbase (with shipyard) came online and was able to perform repairs on my fleet and contribute its own combat power to the upcomming fight. It also helped the two enemy fleets were staggered and I was able to defeat the first and even do some quick repairs before the second hit.

Oddly enough I apparently technically "lost" every fleet engagement despite holding the field. The enemy ships melted surprisingly fast when contact was made, but the key difference was they were jumping out very fast while my ships were sticking around. They actually lost almost no ships, while I was losing corvettes and the occasional destroyer in every engagement. Thankfully war exhaustion racked up and I was able to seize all the systems I wanted before forcing a peace. Time to take a few starbases apart and fortify the poo poo out of these borders. I got plenty of room left to expande coreward, don't need to mess more with the toasters for now.

Also, I notice I only have 3 systems still (my limit) while most empires are grabbing a lot more. Most of them have pops in the 40s 50s and 60s!!! while my Pops are in the 30s. Should I start colonizing more worlds and setting up sectors?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 24, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, my game I got the whole "mining drone harvesting" event and swept up several nearby fleets for several thousand E-creds, I then immediately turned around and arranged a huge deficit deal with the local enclave (who are right in the middle of the XT Exterminator's territory, lol) and used the extra influx of minerals to rapidly build up my economy and expansion.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't want to alarm you, but I suggest you prepare for war and annihilate your eastern neighbors immediately. They are creepy ghosts coming to get you.

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm having a stellaris problem and the problem is every time i load up the game i want to try out a new empire instead of continuing where i last left off

i'm never gonna see the megaweapons at this rate

I admit, I'm half tempted to start a new game myself. I almost wonder if I blobbed too much as the Ixal and screwed up my research/unity gains. Also being Xenophone and having no friends is lonely.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By the way, is there an easy way to upgrade weapon platforms, or do I have to go to each outpost/starbase and click the button to upgrade their platforms?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Based on what I read elsewhere, apparently the big hit with War Exhaustion and losing ships in battles is the exhaustion hit is based on twice the lost ships value as a percentage of your Total Naval Capacity.

So if you have a Max Naval Capacity of 50 (like I roughly did when attacking the XTs) and lose a few corvettes and a destroyer totaling 8 Naval Capacity, that is a 32% War Exhaustion blow (8/50=16%*2). Doesn't matter if you started the battle at 30/50 or 50/50 capacity, its based on max.

Kinda nasty, and makes capacity upgrades even more appealing. This is also why people overwhelming outposts and starbases are taking much heavier exhaustion than the "Defeated" enemy (I'm guessing the Victory/Defeat label is based on war exhaustion?).

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So I have a size 30 fleet and a size 20 one, and my naval cap is 54. I click Reinforce on my size 20 fleet because it's at 18/20, and it ends up at 24/20. Why?

Are your ships designs set to autoupgrade? If a new tech comes out and your designs get autoupdated the Fleet Manager no longer views the "outdated" ships as being the proper class and will happily fill up the fleet with proper designs if you hit reinforce before updating your old ships.8

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 24, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phiberoptik posted:

How the gently caress do I build new ships for a fleet without going through the annoying star port menu? Do I use the fleet customizer thing?

Yes.

Open the fleet manager
1. New Fleet (if a new one ofc)
2. Hit Add ships to bring up the right side bar
3. add whatever designs you wnat
4. set how many of each ship you want in the fleet
5. Hit the reinforce fleet button to tell shipyards to build ships for this fleet (they'll use whatever minerals you have stockpiled but will not queue additional ships and wait for minerals, so you'll probably have to hit it a few times).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Haven't been in a Federation yet, so I don't know how that works.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Eiba posted:

I started next to fanatic purifiers, oh no! Except they got boxed in and are tiny and weak. Time to deal with them.

The only CB I have against them is "End Threat (Containment)".

Uh, what is that and how does it work?

I know it's a free CB against people who have free CBs on everyone else... but what's the actual goal of such a war? Will I be taking all their planets and territory? What will change if the war ends in a status quo? I can't actually find this explained anywhere. I know how purification wars work, but not the other way around.

Its theoretically a fight to completely exterminate, and systems you seize become yours immediately instead of simply occupied, no claims required. True is opposite in the reverse. Odds are you'll be forced to peace out due to war exhaustion before completely destroying them however.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Beefeater1980 posted:

This patch has fixed the mid-game pacing problems as far as I’m concerned. For me, games now go through a few good phases:

EARLY GAME
* explore explore
* get your first 3 or so colonies
* land grab for high value systems
* (optionally) early game war
* build up booming economy

What kind of years would you put on those phases? Like, my current game is in the 2260s and I only just grabbed my third colony maybe a decade ago, but I'm also blobbed huge. I guess thats why I shouldn't be surprised when my Pop count is in the upper 30s while most empires have 5-6 worlds and pop in the 50s-60s.

I've got shittons of territory too somewhere around 50 systems, so I'm worried I've hurt my long term ability to pick up advanced research/unity. Seriously, I'm at a point where it takes over 10 years to get a unity tradition pick, I suspect thats bad but I don't have enough experience with the game to be certain. The game says I'm equivalent or slightly better than my neighbors, so maybe I'm just worrying needlessly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My game is filled with spiritualists of different flavors (including me). Or maybe those are just the ones randomly contacting me from across the galaxy?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Libluini posted:

Yeah, I'm just bumbling around doing whatever, and I'm still leading in tech. It's not that bad, just don't colonize everything in sight and you're fine.

To be fair though, prioritizing the good stuff often tends to make your borders look kinda snaky:

Yeah, and that makes you increasingly vulnerable to space pirates, which is neat. I'm guessing you have a fleet and maybe a fleet starbase somewhere on each of those left/rimward tendrils where they can rapidly respond to a pirate attack, another fleet/base in the center, and one one the right/coreward section of your territory?

You definitely seem to be doing better than my game research/economywise, and I bet you need a lot less points to get techs and unity picks. I definitely need to curtail the urge to just blob out like a madman I think. Looking at my territory its such a mess and a decent number of low-value systems, but I have a hard time telling what if anything should be cut. There were lots of ancient mining drones in this region so there are mineral-rich system scattered all over.

Then again you've look to have about 35-40 systems, and I'm at 52 systems (and growing) so maybe I'm not being too extreme?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, Libluini, I upgraded your Space Cats. :v:

We need a new Goon Species pack/collection or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gort posted:

They're not necessarily cheating, but they'd be paying 284% of the normal fleet upkeep at that level of command limit. Do they have the minerals/energy to do that?

They mean the Fleet command limit, not the Empire's ship cap. Is it possible to go over a fleet's cap limit? I haven't tried.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Has anyone noticed if Pirates pretty much always use the same ship weapons/defenses configurations?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So what kind of map settings are everyone using? How big and how many AI empires? Despite having a nearly literal next-door neighbor, my current game feels like there is tons of empty space between empires.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Causus Belli: Pretty Borders

If you win, the defeated nation will be forced to backfill those drat holes and cul de sacs in their empire.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

An all corvette force is gonna suffer bad in a system with an FTL inhibitor or some other penalty to their disengagement bonus.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wait, what is disengagement? I thought it was when you like emergency FTL out of a battle but apparently not?

Once a ship starts taking hull damage there is an ever increasing chance it will bug out after a battle.

Dev Diary #96 posted:

In Stellaris, fleets that are not ordered to make a manual retreat will fight to the death. Combined with the disproportionate casualties problem, this means that wars are often decided in a single battle, with the loser being at best diminished to the point of no longer being able to offer effective resistance. It also encourages excessive caution in warfare as every minor skirmish turns into a bloody battle of annihilation. To address this problem, we have introduced the concept of Ship Disengagement. Rather than always fight to the death, ships can now flee battle and survive to fight another day. In combat, any ship that takes hull damage while already below 50% health will have a chance to disengage from battle, depending primarily on the amount of damage inflicted, and secondarily on the ship class (smaller ships have an easier time disengaging than larger ones). A ship that disengages will instantly leave the battle and can no longer attack ships or be attacked, though it will still show up in the combat interface, with an icon clearly indicating it as Disengaged.

If a fleet engaged in battle contains only Disengaged ships, it will be forced to make an Emergency FTL jump and become Missing in Action, limping home heavily damaged. However, if the combat ends without the fleet making an emergency FTL jump (manual or forced), the Disengaged ships will rejoin the fleet at the end of the battle, damaged and in need of repair certainly, but otherwise normally operational.
The intention with this feature is that generally, more ships should Disengage than outright be killed in battle, making it so that an empire that loses a battle can pull back, repair their ships, and stay in the fight rather than having to replace every ship involved in a combat loss. In addition to the factors mentioned above, the chance for a ship to Disengage is also affected by various modifiers such as terrain (see Dev Diary #92 for details on Galactic Terrain), War Doctrine (more on that below) and whether the ship is in friendly territory or not.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lprsti99, what size 4-spiral is that? And is that 0.75 Hyperlane density?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You could try using a corvette swarm as a rapid response squadron for large areas, corvettes are pretty fast but a fleet travels at the speed of the slowest member.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

HappyKitty posted:

Anyone else have very specific naming conventions in your playthroughs?

I just hit the auto name for the name list then stick a classification abbreviation in front of it.

Corvettes = FF, FFG (Missiles), DDA (Arty destroyer), CA (line cruiser), CVL (carrier cruiser) etc etc

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I just won my first major war, my slaver neighbors declared on me and I went and kicked their asses, seizing three colonized border worlds via claims and just sqeaking it in before my war exhaustion hit 100% (the final invasion concluded after exhaustion hit 100).

Except now I have no clue what to do with these guys. The worlds are in shambles from the armies fighting/bombardment and the populace is in an uproar. I've started rebuilding the forts and declared martial law on all three worlds, but I'm not even sure if I want to keep these, or why I even claimed them instead of just kicking their asses for funsies. I guess I could split them off into a protectorate? Or maybe just put a couple of my own colonies into a sector and slowly integrate them.

Any tips on dealing with newly conquered worlds as relatively benign Egalitarian Xenophiles? I'm half tempted to just reload to the start of the war and not claim all that poo poo, its gonna be a mess, lol.

OwlFancier posted:

It also affects your gun loadout because plasma cannons are going to be the only thing worth equipping in a pulsar system. I have pulsar pattern defence platforms for precisely that reason.

I think this is why I seized those planets, I kinda wanted that other pulsar system as a chokepoint, Ubreb did great against an enemy fleet supposedly stronger than it (though it did take significant damage).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Totally blocked by mining drones, buuuut have a load of planets. Going tall I guess for now.

Mining drones aren't too hard to defeat actually. They have no shields and their mining lasers suck against shields but IIRC ignore armor and slice up hulls easily, so just load up on lasers and shields and you'll punch above your supposed combat power vs them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, since we're sharing species, here is the only one I've made so far that I've actually used much.

quote:

Ixali origin myth states they once lived in the heavens as the divine soldiers of their Goddess, Garuda. However a great evil threatened the heavens and Garuda ordered her servants to the land below to cleanse it and to remain there as guardians. For centuries they stood watch as the world turned cold and barren and as further Ixali generations exhibited fewer and fewer feathers, robbing them of their ability to fly.

However the Ixal can remain no longer, for they have created new wings, and they shall return to the heavens and rejoin their Goddess. (In reality the Ixali are the product of a lost empire, bioengineered eons ago as airborne troops and technicians during a cataclysmic galactic war. Their goddess, Garuda, is but a twisted version of their commanding general.)

Anyone who has played Final Fantasy XIV will recognize the name and background, so they're not very original :v: The custom logo is a dinky one I slapped together, I replaced it with a standard one for the pastbin below.

https://pastebin.com/xqK5NVhd

President Ark posted:

now build a colossus and use a planet cracker on it :unsmigghh:

yes, the FE reacts to you doing this; no, it doesn't end well for you

I wonder how they react if you armageddon bomb a gaia world someone else has colonized until it becomes a tomb world.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

President Ark posted:

unfortunately, nothing; they will also have a disappointing lack of reaction if a machine empire terraforms one into a machine world

WIZ! :argh:

j/k fun game, no surprise it doesn't account for rare eventualities like that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are there any tollerable/decent Stellaris 2.0 let's plays out there? The new update to too soon for me to want to play the game myself (drat that paradox DLC loop) but watching someone else while idly doing other things might be cool.

Not Quill. He's annoying as poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sometimes bad events happen in 4x games. Its pretty standard? :shrug:

In the future, if you're at negative energy you could scrap some ships, or turn off planetary buildings temporarily (reclaiming their energy maint cost), or set up a trade deal with a neighbor if you've met any.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The death of tiles cannot come soon enough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Then play the Star Trek Humans/Federation types!

Or Rogue Servitors and bring happiness and Mandatory Pampering to the galaxy!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ciaphas posted:

lmao wait is that second one literally the Super Democracy governance of HELLDIVERS, because i am all the hell about that too

One of the AI personality types that can be generated are called "Democratic Crusaders" (Militant Fanatical Egalitarians I think?) and they WILL bring FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY to the Galaxy, one bomb at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ciaphas posted:

oh god some loving things popped out of a black hole and et one of my science ships

right outta my loving nightmares, that :cry:

TIME IS SIGHT

GRAVITY IS DESIRE