Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

So I've had four new pirate stations spawn at my empires borders, and they get to jump into a nearby system and wipe out my stations before the fleet can arrive.

And then the marauders decide to cut through my entire territory en route to another place, so that was... 12 stations and a science ship lost before I remembered I had to move things out of the way? And then I didn't think they'd come back... and that was another 6 stations lost after rebuilding.

That 3.5k raiding fleet is something else. Main staircase is now at 1.1k (they blew through my home system too) and fleet is near 1k as well. Maybe I'll need to build a few defense stations for the next time.

It's going to feel good to get revenge on those marauders at some point.

Edit: leaving staircase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Chap makes good points. Worth noting he doesn't recommend missiles at all, which is correct because they're currently terrible. They should be a good anti-corvette weapon, but they're too slow to reliably hit them - missiles are only twice as fast as a basic corvette, and with level 4 engines a corvette is only 20% slower than a missile. I have seen missiles pursue a swarming corvette around a station twice. Missile engines should be upgraded in line with your engine tech.

Mind you, torpedoes are typically slower than the corvettes that launch them, in a magnificent ignoring of physics. I know Stellaris isn't hard scifi, but when people break the rules of physics it's not normally to make things worse.

brb renaming the torp corvettes to Cavalry Ravens

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

AG3 posted:

I'm playing on Admiral using no AI mods (or mods in general for that matter), and the AI doesn't have any issues expanding, properly developing their planets and waging war in any of my games. Granted I'm not a very good player so I'm probably not demolishing them the way more experienced players do, but since the 2.02 beta finished and they sorted the food shortage death spiral I haven't seen the AI be outright incapable of playing anymore. I do play with 2x tech costs, but apart from that it's pretty vanilla.

Oh good I was getting worried that I just really, really suck at this game.

There have been some moronic AI decisions that actually were tactically interesting - in fighting a Federation and one member sent their fleets on a year long trek around the galaxy but wound up hitting my exposed systems far from the front lines, so I had to pull back. Of course one of them kept throwing the same damaged fleet over and over at the same spot until it fully died, but it kept one of my fleets there while the others went at different spots. Their planets have also all been developed when I arrived.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You can abuse Federation mechanics to give yourself more unity and more fleet cap, unless that got fixed.

As long as the Federation member is less than... 10%?... of the total Federation planet amount, they won't take over as head of the Federation every 10 years or so. If you are by far the largest, you can use that to create 1-3 planet vassal states that you then release and invite to the Federation (or tech advance primitives and invite them in). You get +5% unity bonus from the Diplo perk (up to 30%), and with the Federation fleet perk, your fleet cap contribution is increased.

Thus, if nobody else is big enough to warrant cycling through as Federation president, you're basically it with a fleet that you can stock with any tech of your members that also doesn't count towards your fleet cap... I forget though if it doesn't count towards your ship upkeep costs though.

If they're also small and within your borders - or well behind your borders - then it's unlikely they'd get any diplo need to attack anyone.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Aw dang, New Horizons crashes on me when the game really gets going. :(

Is that Mac thing of crashing when too many things going on still happening?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

So, um... does slavery suck? Because I started a second game as Authoritarian Fanatic Spiritualists to bring the good word of Bird God to the galaxy, and they start with caste system implemented, and I hated it and it wasn't worth it. So basically if I build a special building and research special techs, I get guys with mild production bonuses. Then I also get a bunch of unhappy pops who aren't giving me any influence and eventually start causing Unrest and loving with ethics attractions and causing their production to tumble to almost nothing, which torpedoes the gently caress out of my economy as all of a sudden all my mines and farms stop producing, and then the Unrest snowballs and I've got hunger strikes and slave revolts. Or , I could just build a god damned robot and get equivalent production bonuses with none of those tradeoffs.

Honestly, in my first try at it, I'm not sure what the upside to being evil at all is. When I decided to abolish slavery I moved every other species to Residence status, kicked up their living standards to Decent, and allowed free migration, and you know what happened? My economy loving boomed, my influence gains shot up, and my overall population exploded so hard that I actually had a temporary food shortage. And there's a subtle but powerful bonus to being as xenophilic as possible, which I noticed in my federation game -- get enough species in your empire and eventually every planet is 100% habitable, because someone likes that biome type.

Am I just bad at being evil or is there really no reason to do it other than roleplaying?

I find slavery works much better as a start when I've got a syncretic species. They come with some baked in traits that make the syncretic species far better in the early game as slaves instead of a caste system on the main species. By the time you're adding new species as slaves, you'll have more tech to have happier populations that are slaves, so they don't get all antsy.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If xenophobes can't require people to take a 23andMe test before resettling, then my realism is ruined.

And if there's a setting that's called "Utopian Paradise" I imagine that's the same as, "hey get all the gene mods you want." Allowing pop-led genemodding could just add to the consumer goods cost per population, if that even remains a thing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Like, how would this play out. You have a bigger neighbor that you can't beat so you just blockade one planet but they don't send their fleet over to bust it up?

*or*

you have space fleet superiority over your neighbor and instead of conquering them or forcing a white peace or whatever you decide to blockade some planet for reasons? I think the blockade / food shortages would have to have some pretty serious effects. Even if you assume a blockade for 5 years, I'd be curious to see the actual impact that would have.

Or you've got similarly sized navies/economies but they withdrew and are going to take ~3-6 months to even come back (ignoring repair and new ships), meanwhile you can cause them massive starvation penalties which will impact their ability to build back up quickly and you could take the re-arm advantage.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My First League Ecumenopolis world had the Previous Terraforming Equipment event fire. I was too chicken to resume the process so I dismantled equipment and so my city world is beset with random environmental catastrophes.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Also that it's 1000 food for any size planet, so your ecumenopolis gets about 3 months worth of food compared to the 10 years worth of lower population colony worlds.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Decided to give joining the AI rebellion a shot, especially since they took my ecumenopolis.

Ended up having too many bio-trophies... because the AI rebellion decided to roll servitor. I couldn't clear biologics off my worlds, so they were massively underemployed, leading to a cascade of no alloys when the organic main fleet (that I had just used to crush the crystal hub) of 19k showed up. At the start of the rebellion, I could've won since my fleet power was far superior even if the ship designs were poo poo.

But then I got hit with -75% penalties for no alloys, and total fleet power went down to under 16k vs. the 19k+6k+2k (two corvette patrol fleets I'd made, though I crushed one when the rebellion started).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

At this point, it doesn't feel to me as if there's a "bad" ship class, whereas before the corvette nerf if you weren't just fielding vast fleets of corvettes you were doing it wrong.

I always have a corvette fast-response fleet about, because you can use afterburners and an appropriate admiral to make a really zippy first response fleet. They may not actually stop the thing they're sent against, but they can delay it long enough for the cruiser fleet to move in.

However, once I get cruisers I don't have corvettes in with them, I tend to have a cruiser/destroyer fleet and a corvette fleet (sometimes I stick afterburner destroyers in the corvette fleet). With battleships, I'll then have 1 or 2 battleship/cruiser/destroyer fleets, 1-2 corvette fleets, and the rest battleship/cruiser. When titans are added, I usually wait until I get +fleet cap and then start tagging titans onto the battleship/cruiser fleets.

I do use the ship AI choice (artillery, line, picket, etc.) slightly different from intended, depending on what fleet they're in or what other bonuses they've got. At end-game, my corvettes usually lose the afterburners and change to picket computer since they're maxed on evasion and pretty fast. I like using destroyers for point defense in my battleship groups, so although they're loaded with point defense they've got artillery computers so they go hang with the battleships instead of running forward.

Mid game cruisers are my definite main damage dealers. End game it's a split between cruisers and battleships because of how huge blob fights trade so much artillery damage prior to front line/medium weapon engagement range.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I don’t know if this is a new issue or not, but I went with a synthetic ascension and made friends with the machine empire exterminators. We have research deals going but now they seem to randomly insult me despite having something like a +120 opinion.

They're just buggy because you're still kinda organics but not.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I don't see many precincts (and other upgraded versions) until I'm bombarding their planets, then the AI starts replacing buildings.

Otherwise mostly I just see lots of commercial centers.

The AI in my current game (no mods) seems to be able to handle themselves against the Khan, two empires (non-allied) got chewed up but then I'd see them make territory gains vs. the khan, then lose a little elsewhere and so forth. The Khan was on the other side of the galaxy, so I didn't particularly care and it made them pay attention to not me (fanatical purifier).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Or maybe leads to something like +100% bomber damage to Colossus.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

One thing I'm really enjoying in the new update is how fast Armageddon bombardment is; I'm playing post-apocalyptic Purifiers and being able to create 100% habitability worlds while ignoring the army mini-game is really nice.

I guess I could get unity from purging those guys, but I recall the rate gained from purging pops to be really tiny. Maybe that's no longer true in the new update? Does anyone know the exact mechanics for how you actually get that unity now? Is it unity from jobs (meaning you don't actually want to purge them at all, just stack them on a fortress planet), or unity gained on death?

They produce unity under their individual tabs, but I don't know if they also produce unity on removal.

Most of the time they'll be making ~0.8-1.2 unity a pop while taking no upkeep but tending to cause upheaval and unrest on the planet. You can also choose different purge methods, so extermination gets them gone fast while neutering takes more time, and forced labor (where they also generate 3 food and 3 minerals) is in between.

Where I'm at (psionic pathway done), I can generally keep crime even on newly conquered planets low-ish with my 5 displacement pops, so then a ~60 pop planet is making ~80 unity while I'm redesigning it and moving people around.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

If you go psionic you should like never have crime. Throw down a psi ops building, and enjoy your -70 crime from telepaths.

Psionic is also really good if you're into stability, and I'm fairly sure that means they're the best trade empires (stability increases trade production).

You have crime on newly occupied worlds where you're slowly exterminating the local populace until your Psi Corps building finishes, right.

Assuming the world is even built to take a Psi Corps building.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

That's pretty darned stupid really; the best thing to do is set them to forced labour and store them all up on one planet somewhere where you've stacked crime reduction. Fanatic Purifiers should get the unity from finishing purging people I think.

Can you resettle pops you're purging? I've never honestly checked.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My CKII stories involved two starts where my starting king without an heir was dead within 5 minutes to someone assassinating him and then I stopped playing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

In 2.2.4 I pulled rare resource sites out of extra prospecting pretty regularly, something like 1/3 found new gas, mote, or crystal sites. Although I didn't necessarily need to save the minerals from dumping them into a processor they were nice finds when they added up.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

It'd be neat internal narrative fodder when your general develops bloodthirsty halfway through an invasion and just starts murdering the poo poo out of everything.

I'd like it if tagging more than 1 general to a massive army actually allowed some XP gain to those other generals.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Loel posted:

Unrelated how do I kill AI

My fleet is about 600 of these

And various other vassal/integrated xeno ships.

You need shields - they're all about anti-armor and penetration weapons, so arguably if you're refitting to fight specifically against them you'd want no armor in your slots but shields and crystal hull boosters. I'd probably also go auto cannon instead of rail gun for the +hull of auto cannon.

I'd also advise having battleships. Just corvettes is gonna be rough imo.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jabarto posted:

At the cost of never being able to use it because no one will let you declare war.

Yeah when the militarist allies kept turning down my war declarations I left the federation and then vassalized them in addition to my original targets.

They wouldn’t let me vassalize the enemy they’d already fought 2 wars with, and they refused the conquest war instead. They refused two other wars with some mutual rivals. I tried one last time on a conquest war and still no.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Is there a species planner online somewhere? I'd like to play around with ethos and civics choices without being in-game.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

Likewise, although games after MOO2 have done much more with economy, diplomacy, and exploration, MOO2's combat and ship design remains my favorite. I think because it involves lots of ship design options that aren't just linear upgrades in a rock-paper-system, and relatively small scale turn based combat.

RIP my 40 (ish?) auto-fire disruptor battleships. :(

Death rays and particle beams?! gently caress that, shove the hundredth miniaturized phaser on that hull!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Democracy is most fun with a spiritual empire with a Chosen One.

For your punishment you will run for office every ten years for all eternity!!!!

....and on occasion, lose when you’re at 80% chance and go be a sector governor for a decade.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

So the Guardians of the Galaxy trigger fired for the archivist fallen, but there's no galaxy crisis present, nor any signals of one impending.

I'm a fanatical purifier about to attack the jingoistic reclaimers and I've conquered ~60% of the galaxy, so I'm definitely a problem to the galaxy. But the archivists are okay with me?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I like having 1 fleet of corvettes for quick response, ~100.

The rest are basically 20 PD destroyers and the rest battleships, occasionally with a titan or two in there. I focus on a 2/3 plasma/neutron 1/3 kinetic.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Trast posted:

Thanks for the summary. I take it cruisers are wasted fleet space these days?

I'll have cruisers as part of an adjunct fleet if the enemy is using corvettes and destroyers. Chock full of mediums with tracking auxiliaries rips through smaller stuff.

However, vs. battleship fleets they just get chewed up.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Yeah, I really like the Ecus nerf, and I hate all nerfs.

Uh, is there still any reason to actually fight him? Otherwise isn't this basically just "we made an easy choice even easier?"

iirc, it drops energy credits and physics research on death.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah I've seen only the Unbidden the last... 4-5? times I've actually gotten to end-game and it's annoying. I've got 800 hours played and have seen the Praethoryn twice and Contingency 0.

Though I just got the "purge all sentient species" as a Fanatical Purifier so I'm probably gonna play as assimilators next once the patch comes.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I mean you can just fight them too. They're hardly unbeatable, and even the genocidal AI will basically never declare war on you until you share a border which leaves plenty of time to prep.

Sometimes you die, but not always.

In my current game, an anomaly identified a fanatical purifier almost on the opposite end of the galaxy from me - that was the first alien contact, so like 2210 or something.

They are still opposite end of the galaxy, it's 2250, they have no wormholes, and they declared war on me. Neither of us has actually explored a path to the other.

I'm also getting tons of NAP, defensive, commercial, and research pacts from just about everyone (I'm fanatic xenophile) whereas pre-patch, distance would've had them say no.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Feeling kinda underwhelmed by my relic that can make planets into gaia worlds. In total it cost 350 influence when I make just over 3 per month. Can't even declare any rivals to get more because I have that free titan which shot my fleet power up crazy so everyone around me is pathetic. So it takes me over 100 months of influence to convert one planet.

So start humiliating some fools.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Not sure what this means, unless you mean system ownership? You can't just go digging up other people's planets, it'd be very rude.

Yeah, and it could be a casus belli to try and steal back the artifacts or rewards from the site. You could also have competing science vessels that may need to be backed up with transport ships or something as they're both running through the site, or pop ups occur that let you focus on sabotaging the other science vessel or instead forging ahead.

Then science vessels could have different special slots (not just survey speed and archaeology level) that increase their chance to interfere with other science ships or defend against incursions, depending on what someone sticks on a science vessel.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Well that doesn't sound good. I actually really liked the way your economy reworked itself once Ecus came around.

They still do. I'm just going to put refineries on the Ecu along with the appropriate districts instead of the tiles just being yet more artisan and foundry places.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nah it means you can pick from more leaders, like research options.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

jokes posted:

I think I want... less planets. It's a lot of briefcase whack a mole, and I think I'd like it everything was just... less. If I play with less planets would I be hosed by the crises?

I've played on lowest planet setting (I think 0.5?) and even with 1.25 tech/tradition cost and default midgame, 25 year earlier endgame crises, I'm generally at "snowballing" state by the time the crisis shows up. However, I usually can't just jump in and wipe them out (unless they pop in to one of my systems near a chokepoint), I've got to wait for the Guardian Fallen Empires to show up and follow them for a bit, keeping the crisis from growing too fast. If they were far away enough I couldn't stick a checkpoint and bottle them in, they'll usually get to ~25% of the galaxy before I'm able to start slowly grinding them down.

It does tend to make the Khan show up when I'm just hitting T2 weapons, which means creative farming of Khan fleets means lots of tech gains. It also means the Khan is actually really dangerous.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

I'd like more portals! A possibility of more than one portal per game would be neat.

I've never had them lose either so I don't know if this already happens but it would be bittersweet if their last gasp was sending a bunch of refugees through the portal.

Oh man, if there was a granularity system for number of ships involved in doing a project, it would be neat to have an event with the portal where having certain numbers of transports means different things happen. Like, no transports means warp beasts try to invade your world, a small number means a sliding scale of refugees from the other realm (and then a smaller warp beast attack), a moderate number means a few refugees and increased portal researcher production, and a large amount means a few refugees, increased portal researcher production, and... some sort of "Assist Research" like option for an orbiting general with over-time exp gain?

And if the warp beasts successfully invade the world, they trigger the warp beasts of your galaxy.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Korgan posted:

Is anyone else getting the bug with the caravaneers where they'll just pick a capital system and stay there forever, refusing to offer anymore trades but will happily keep spamming the events for the derelict ship/planetwide party/potential settlers/etc? I want my drat trades so I can get the garbage disposal building

Yup, happened in my last game. I run no mods.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I've never felt that way about leaders. They're just a random name and a random bonus to me. I also don't like the idea of them being more impactful. Your empire could contain trillions of souls, why should a small handful of individuals have such undue influence on its story?

Because it’s a sci-fi space game and we want our Capt Kirk.

Empire trait “Shared Burden” now replaces leaders with a randomized symbol signifying a team working together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Exactly, I want my President Sheridan, Vladimir Harkonen, or Gaius Baltar. Either upping the ante on them and/or giving them drawbacks gives them more personality and makes them more useful, thereby making you care a bit more when they kick the bucket.

Some things from my current game: The president that was recently voted in office is the drat Warfare AI from a ship I found. I still remember the scientist who found the Totally Not Solaris planet. And the scientist I recruited with Archeology excavated most of my digs, and when she died I was bummed and named a sector after her. That kind of thing evokes a mental narrative that I think they should play up.

Yeah, it'd be kinda neat once there was actually espionage and political intrigue in Stellaris.

Your Maniacal scientist heading up research does good stuff up until the day they start working on dangerous tech, and then they either 1) do as what happens now and research it a bit faster or 2) decide to go even farther because they're obsessed and maniacal. Then you actually could have a Gaius Baltar-like figure as the dude that sets in motion the AI rebellion. Or maybe they figure out how to weaponize it to attack other empires (like triggering an AI rebellion in a different empire).

Or your butcher general commits (even more) warcrimes and either galactic powers or internal politics gives you a few paths to take like how some fallen empires have a shielded world with an old military leader on it that depends on ethos, traits, whatever.

I liked the idea earlier someone else had of leaders, and maybe specifically governors, having a sector tag that influences events that occur within the sector they're governing.

But yeah, I'd like it if there were far more, "some good, some bad" traits that leaders could only get while leveling up. Otherwise something like Paranoid or Stubborn is just bad, but what if instead a Stubborn scientist got a failed roll for something and because they're Stubborn, they can choose a new thing where they try again and maybe wind up with a different outcome than all of them? Or a 2nd shot at the original outcomes? Arrested Development could stop growth in that leader, but potentially increase the chance of the, "another working on their team is a shining star (because they had to be to prop up the Arrested Development leader)"?