Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The fallen militant isolationist bird people empire right below me is quite annoying. Systems around them are key for expanding my empire, but I have to leave pockets open so that they don't get angry from border friction and invade me. Pirates spawn in there like mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I would like pirates more if they spawned 500 strength fleets instead of 2k. It's not like they need large fleets to take out mining stations and construction ships, and I don't really want to maintain 5 3k strength police fleets across my empire to deal with them quickly.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

My second game of this is much more fun than the first. Playing the union of spiritualist pacifists (who invade neighboring bird people to spread their message of peace) was all well and good, but the game is much better as a devouring swarm of death trees:

I managed to wall off most of the top right before the midgame. The bottom right spawned a bunch of turtling AI empires who have high tech but no fleets (and thus won't try to invade the wall), and have now formed a useless pair of federations. I've eaten 2.5 empires in the top and can't decide whether to try and eat one of the federations or the isolationist moths at the very top.

The great khan is in the process of wiping out the top left of the map. There's a wormhole that can lead them into my flank but they haven't bothered to use it, although the marauding horde that spawned from them earlier did. Thankfully, it promptly turned around and left after invading one planet, as apparently the khan doesn't get control of existing raiding fleets on spawn.

The bottom of the map features the game's only other real contender, some sort of fanatic purifiers, adjacent what I assume is the now psionic empire filled with almost all the leviathans in the galaxy, or possibly really odd AI border decisions.

Zanaam spawned with an alien toy factory on it. A gaia world with a howling abandoned monolith and a factory that spits out tiny alien dolls is good nightmare fuel.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Ok let's try playing a Devouring Swarm, beat up my neighbor, take their planet, time for the food to roll on in, lemme just crank up my food stockpile, make sure they're set to processing, and onto the next plane -*is suddenly at -14 food income, captured planet is producing hella negative food because the population is at 100 unrest because they're supposed to be turning into food*-

So do I basically have to pay a 100 income patrol drones edict tax per planet if I actually, you know, want to have one of the main features of this particular racial setup?

You can move their pops to your worlds' empty spaces and/or farms, or swap them with existing pops if their planet doesn't suck, which balances out the unrest.

This is less viable early on due to energy costs, but later on I've had enough of a surplus that it didn't really matter.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

As a devouring swarm, I shouldn't be able to join sides in the war in heaven, right?

Eh, well, gently caress it.

I am also amused that despite all other diplomatic options being unavailable, I can still pay off marauders. With the biomass of recently consumed empires.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

So what's a good way to get other civs to like you?

Doing so is pointless. The mechanics offered for being friendly aren't worth it.

Devouring Swarm or bust.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Finally playing 2.2.6, with a megacorp.

I don't remember ever having this much money before, and have no idea what to do with it. I just drop 25k on random rare resources that I have no practical use for until I fill up my cap again shortly after.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nah, Tall Swarms are pretty strong, and have the advantage of not requiring to eat their neighbors to achieve this (though they absolutely can if they spot a particularly vulnerable target).

Playing a tall Devouring Swarm that doesn't eat its neighbors?

Mods ban this sick filth.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Are criminal megacorps still garbage in Federations? I think I saw mention earlier that regular megacorps at least are now much stronger for diplo bonuses from branches, but would figure that you don't get the same from criminal branches. It doesn't seem like the diplo stuff has a way to play different races against each other either, so my dreams of being some shadowy mafia power broker probably aren't gonna happen.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

My attempts to play a friendly diplomatic megacorp have not gone well.

Attempt 1: I spawn next to a machine intelligence and a devouring swarm. I am eaten by the devouring swarm.

Attempt 2: I spawn next to some friendly species that loves to join federations! Great! However the other species are, in order of discovery: inward perfectionists, fanatic militarist xenophobes, another inward perfectionist, hive mind rocks, determined exterminators, fanatic purifiers, driven assimilators, and some machine intelligence. The universe is not a very friendly place, and is very uninterested in commerce.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

what is with all yall giving your planets functional names are whinging about the defaults

i lovingly name all of my planets in alignment with whatever species i am currently RPing. this is the only way. i often rename the stars too

why name something Boring Prime when you can name stars after Soviet animators and the planets after their cartoon characters. this is what makes stellaris /fun/

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Lum_ posted:

- no total war origins (fanatic purifiers, etc.)

is this because human vs human still can conduct diplomacy because they're not limited to the game options or just because total war from start is kinda OP in general? i'd want to make it work somehow since devouring swarm is just too drat fun

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i usually barely pay attention to playing well, but apparently screwed my self over more than usual cause i failed to appease the inscrutable pop growth mechanics?

playing a machine race, i was like "aha, growth is good, more colonies means more pops can grow at once, early colonies means longer time for more pops growing at once, these combined mean bigger population quicker!" and managed to snag a bunch of good planets early (it's also a weird enforced pacifism mp game, so there were other incentives to landgrab). apparently nothing could be further from the truth? the correct machine strategy is to colonize basically nothing until you have several well-populated planets and then promptly migrate a bunch of pops at once to new ones you colonize well into the midgame? apparently paradox tied growth rate to total empire size as some sort of weird performance hack that may not even be necessary anymore?

i think this is why i keep putting this game down, because the 4X mechanics are opaque as gently caress, ubiquitous, and completely unintuitive, so to play at all well you need to trawl through reddit posts explaining the internal math extracted from the game files. why do you do this paradox.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

my game had an awakened empire that was promptly defeated and destroyed by the AI it attacked, and another next to the same AI that has done gently caress all since awakening (apparently the smart move in their case) :|

i thought that the fleet manager bugs had been mostly worked out these days, but mine somehow kept creating fleets all on its own, using a class of ship i didn't have in the designer, for about half the game. thankfully it stopped, though now instead of reinforcing fleets properly it's creating new fleets from the reinforcements. not even the new ones you get if you accidentally issue a move order while a reinforcement is trying to join its fleet--it's immediately creating like 6 new fleets composed of two battleships immediately after i press the reinforce all button

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 12, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Jazerus posted:

always turn gate frequency up to 2x or 3x in the galaxy generation options. you're basically guaranteed to find one somewhere and there will already be a meaningful gate network before anyone gets the ability to construct them

i think the prior thread suggestion of "a mod that disables piracy, because it is a lovely and stupid mechanic" is probably the best solution

it's lategame, why would i care to keep around a 20k fleet of old corvettes to effortlessly wipe out the occasional 2k pirate fleet that pops out of the ether and does nothing other than destroy a couple mining stations? it's pointless busywork whose ostensible solutions do nothing but consume naval cap and/or starbase cap that could be spent doing something useful to further strategic aims

it's like the stellaris team looked at the fun internal strife stuff that happens in CK2, thought "hmm, we could really use something like that" (they're not wrong!), and implemented the worst possible version of it. placating vassals and dealing with cultural/religious tensions requires you deal with a persistent problem that can be addressed with enough effort. piracy just springs forth out of nothing to punish you for building a good trade economy and can never really be addressed, you just have to waste a constant amount of resources on it forever.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Danaru posted:

Is there a way to limit cybernetic enhancement to just my starting race? I feel kinda icky shoving cybernetics into immigrants that come from spiritualist backgrounds

if spiritualist was a good ethos, they would not have been chased from their homes. you are doing them a favor

i thought that didn't happen without applying templates though

also i hate that system, why are the old versions left around after i replace all of them. what purpose do they serve

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Staltran posted:

Wait, Rubricator isn't the only repeatable way to get minor artifacts? What's the other one?

there are certain relic worlds that provide an archaeologist job that produces relics from one of their special districts, though of course all their other special districts consume minor artifacts

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn’t that from guilli’s?

probably. guilli's! basically part of the base game at this point!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Phosphine posted:

Supposedly it has a 5% spawn chance, so only 1/20 games even have it, and then you need to enter the correct system with a science ship, so if it's somewhere in alien territory it might never trigger even if it spawned.

wait, i coulda sworn it was a percentage chance every time one of you science ships entered any system in your territory with a black hole, so you could cheese it by just repeatedly moving one in and out

like, very much coulda sworn that was the case, because iirc that was exactly how i triggered it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Angrymantium posted:

It just feels like a symptom of where Stellaris is in development now. Going from DLCs like Nemesis, Utopia, Apocalypse, Megacorps etc that radically expand what you can do in the game, to stuff like First Contact and Astral Planes that give you little bonuses and underpowered origins. I'm not surprised by prices rising over time, but the days of interesting DLC seem to be over.

im fine with DLC that's just story event packs. variety in events and such is a big part of what makes these games replayable. paradox employs a bunch of devs though, and they may as well keep them busy building new features that can (ostensibly) justify a $20 DLC instead of a $5 story pack that's just more content for existing systems. it'd keep the systems tighter and allow more time for devs to fix bugs. you can't sell "fixed bugs" though; there's a rather a revenue incentive to introduce more bugs :(

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Poil posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the awful constant message spam? It's bad enough that I'm getting endless requests for garbage treaties but I cannot give less of a gently caress about which two empires are now entering/breaking migration treaties or whatever. The game is so well programmed that disabling for example commercial pact spam between other empires also disables requests to me? How?!? EU4 manages it infinitely better and it's older and from the same company. Did paradox lose the ability to program that at some point? Does someone need to do an archaeology site in the archives of forgotten developer knowledge?

play the game properly, as a devouring swarm

cant get treaty spam if you cant form treaties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Poil posted:

I barely ever play gestalts, they're not as fun as regular empires to me.

well, if you wanna be boring there is determined exterminators

isn't espionage base patch? i thought nemesis was all the extra "become the crisis" stuff, which seems decently done