Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really wish collosi would fire faster. In the time it took me to charge up and get 50% into blowing up a prethoryn planet a fleet ran in under me and bombed it to 100%

The cassus belli is good but I wish the toy itself was remotely practical, between it and megastructures it's like they don't want any of the super equipment to actually have real utility because Balance
Solution: have it benefit from your Fire Rate bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I've never played either of the SotS games, but I liked the narration of the "End of Flesh" trailer (the Loa one). Was it from the first or the second one?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Argas posted:

It's too bad there can't be Fallen Empire Megacorps.
Presumably being saved for the Stross patch.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I've spent today trying to play Stellaris after a long hiatus and ended up on the verge of a nervous breakdown from information overload and system complexity.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Yami Fenrir posted:

Sounds about right, yes.
It's not just the overwhelming amount of blinking lights to track and fiddly knobs to turn that brought me down, it's having to engage with them all from day 1, as well a lack of feedback to help me learn.

Compare it with, say, Civilization. Civ starts off with only a couple of relevant resources to keep track of (food and hammers), and a small number of decision points (where to move your only warrior, what hex to work with your 1-pop city). It gradually introduces new mechanics (happiness, health, faith, great people, diplomacy, government policies, etc.), giving you time and space to master each new tool before adding more stuff into the mix. Just as importantly, it gives me both immediate (more food = visibly faster city growth) and regular ("you are 4th out of 12 civs in terms of culture") feedback on my decisions so that I can learn what works and what doesn't.

Stellaris, on other hand, gives me an incomprehensible spreadsheet and expects me to make decisions while doing its best to obfuscate the outcomes. Playing Stellaris as a new or returning player is like being plunged into a nightmare where you have to take an exam on a subject that you've never studied, except all questions are in a foreign language, and instead of a grade you get a passive-aggressive "oh, you know what you did".

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

FurtherReading posted:

That sounds like it's handled by the change to syncretic evolution. Your main, ruler race can be robots and your second race are organics.

Libluini posted:

My first thought was "isn't this just Rogue Servitors?" but if you want to literally have only your ruler be the robot, at least that's something that was doable for a long time, just not from the start: All Democratic and Oligarchic societies can elect/appoint robotic leaders, if you get them from events or, if you're materialistic, from your own robots eventually.

But yeah, if you want to start like this, you need the new machines + organic underlings combo from the new DLC.

ilkhan posted:

Individualist machines with syncretic evolution? Or gestalt with RS. RS makes me think of Wall-E.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The kinda thing that could be done in a few ways though, the usual sci-fi plot would be closer to Under One Throne or whatever it's called.
There is always room for more options to represent AI deities ruling organic subjects.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

two fish posted:

How does a spiritualist machine empire work, exactly?
Exceedingly well.