Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Solarflare posted:

Do you only have to adopt domination to vassalize? I adopted it but haven't gone any further and my robo-empire isn't allowed to demand vassalization, despite it saying only adoption is needed.

As it says in the popup, your relative power level to them needs to be "superior" or better, but you are only equivalent. Build more ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anticheese posted:

Speaking of the vassal game, the AI is seriously reluctant to bend the knee as a vassal or tributary even when at 100% war exhaustion and occupation. It seems like this is happening when they have an ally in the war, and I really don't care about enforcing these spurious claims of my other vassals (gotten through manually releasing conflicts) that are adding to the warscore. But even with complete occupation of the target state, and 50% of their ally, I'm still about 20 points short of forcing them to pay tribute.

Also, you can't upgrade strongholds in habitats.

I'm still having a blast with the patch though. I'm about to take my revenge on these should-be vassals by sealing them away forever!

You can't upgrade gene clinics or whatever they are called in habitats as well.

I'm too lazy to screenshot it, but I've just found a fallen empire where one of it's worlds was two unconnected systems away from the other FE worlds, making it a lonely exclave. The FE generating algorithm needs an update.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just found out how you can make your non-main species psionic. There's a new "assimilation" citizenship that makes them awake their psionic potential. Only problem is, it makes them wholly unproductive, they cannot work buildings anymore! And only ONE TO FOUR POPS AWAKEN EACH YEAR! I really wish I had known that much earlier, when I started uplifting/enlightening species and accepting refugees. Oh and they also get a 25% happiness penalty.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pharohman777 posted:

Its honestly odd hearing about games like master of orion and sword of the stars where the sequels are loathed and despised but the originals are loved so much.

Stellaris seems to be filling a missing need for a good, modern space 4x without lovely devs and with frequent updates.

A lot of people rave about MoO1, but I've always liked MoO2 a lot more than the first game. Of course I've played MoO2 first, it was in fact one of my earliest sci-fi games I've ever played when I was a kid.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

LOL, they didn't list SoTS2 in the "we are the makers of SoTS, etc." part of the video.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
No dev diary today?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DatonKallandor posted:

I think you're misunderstanding. I'm not complaining about things being localised. I'm complaining that it's suddenly being treated as some kind of right you are entitled by people who then review bomb when they don't immediately get game X in their language (often pre-launch!)

If you are a native English speaker, then it's easy for you to say that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, WAIT WAIT! The new Stellaris DLC gets released in just three days?!?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lolling at every poster that said tiles were fine :laugh:

Glad they're gone, Wiz has done wonderful things with Stellaris since release.

I like tiles, and you will have to wait months for them to be gone anyway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are some cool mods with crazy adjacency buildings that make the tile system more of a neat puzzle. Plus the mod that makes the tile boni give you access to special buildings. You can build a farm, mine or power plant on any tile, but you can build better farms, mines and power plants on food, mineral or energy tiles respectively.

That said, I generally liked MoO3, at least the empire management. I could never get into the combat system. So I'm not opposed to the changes, I just didn't mind the tile system at all.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GunnerJ posted:

Honestly kinda wish the new planet system were coming out before the other stuff.

There's probably not very many game systems as difficult and labour intensive to overhaul as tiles. I guess this takes time anyway, so that even if you put every Stellaris dev on overhauling tiles, it wouldn't be much faster than churning out different stuff in the meantime.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Gonna have to check out of the thread for a while until I find out what's behind the L-Gates.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've modified all my pops with brain slugs. Surely nothing can go wrong! :downs:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

really queer Christmas posted:

I’m noticing the AI loves point defense this patch, building nothing but corvs and destroyers with heavy point defense armaments. And according to the after battle results, this has worked out to them shooting down about 5-8% of my total missile output :v:

As much as I keep enjoying the absurdity of missile boats just being the most OP poo poo, i do hope there’s a meta change so I can build some heavies again.

It's the eternal balance cycle. Remember when missiles were poo poo for the longest time?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sultan Tarquin posted:

There's a bug where if you click the arrow in the solar system view to move to the next system and then try to go back the camera will pan to the edge of the screen and keep bouncing off it and you can't do anything till you hit the map button at the bottom.

Jup. Got this bug since Apocalypse dropped.

Edit: Quoting this for myself to find it easier later

KingLemming posted:

So just a heads up, I have been keeping my mods up to date (I see they're not on the main post, guess they fell out of favor):

Stellar Expansion: Complete

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MShadowy posted:

This seems... curious. There doesn't seem to be any way to get to this system; it says there's like warp storms or something so I can't just jump my science ships there, at least right now.

Is this kind of anomaly intended? E: Oh, I wonder if it might be due to the extra origins civics; iirc there is a civic which locks a species into a single system to start with, I wonder if a random species can pick that one up.

That's intended. I had a system like that in my last game, and it had another system with a wormhole close by just like you have with Eknyogol. It was only accessible through that wormhole.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skippy McPants posted:

Hell, there's even a reference to a previous incarnation of this thread.

Oldie but goodie.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Spiritualists just shrug and basically say "It's god's will", and don't get worked up over the ceramic pot any further.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone appears to have slapped wings and machine guns onto my pet space amoeba.

I'm sure it's a bug(no it's an amoeba!), but this is one bug I can fully support

edit: OH NO A BIG ROCK IS ABOUT TO HIT SOME PRIMITIVES, GO, BUBBLES, SAVE THEM!

They are people who are natural born slavers and slow breeders from a slaving despots empire. They're garbo. :colbert:

I have the same issue only with an avian ship model (which is the model my species is using) sticking out of it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have only one game so far, but I got the three Fallen Empires that I set up in game generation :shrug:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

isndl posted:

So I think I don't have enough engineers to build multiple megastructures simultaneously because they're all melting in the first one. :supaburn:

Wow, this is so cool. Your commentary gives it the final touch. Well done!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CoolHandMat posted:

so no one has had the Brain Slugs go bad?

I didn't, but I had a multi-species empire where the brain slug pops never made up more than 20%. And my immortal chosen one empress was brain slug-less.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mudered all the space cows.

You monster!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

While that would make a ship super-fast, it would also be incredibly vulnerable if an enemy can hit it from behind. The more optimal shape would be a sphere, with a ring of engines around the equator.

An example

Perry Rhodan always made sense to me. At some tech level, being aerodynamic ceases to be a concern for spaceships. So why not go with the shape with the biggest volume and smallest surface area?

I can forgive the non-optimal design of the SOL, because the SOL is cool and good. :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

my guess for the DLC:

-trade visualization (trade routes in base game but invisible)
-graphics for planet types (like agri-world or ecumenopolis)
-Blockades & other aspects of economic warfare

Eh, my PC is already struggling with current Stellaris. Trade visualization would likely kill it :(

Anno posted:

Yeah they definitely had plenty of missteps along the way. And maybe this is just for Stellaris, I dunno. I guess we'll see once Imperator is out and expansions start being announced.

There have been a lot of cool changes included in the base patches for CK2, though less than in Stellaris for now. And they started later with it than in Stellaris, the early patches were often only for bug fixes and the like. I'm pretty sure that they will follow the Stellaris model when they make CK3 if Stellaris is still a success.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

tithin posted:

I wish Martin would get you, fam

a job.

It's not like this has never happened.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I am pretty sure that rogue servitors have the best relations with organics out of all the robot types. I find with emotion emulators I'm usually able to make friends with the civilizations I want to. Materialists will like you more.

People have been afraid of robots since before robots existed, Evil AI is a common trope, and secretly dystopic utopias are more common in fiction than actual utopias. Some people even think that the conflict between evolved and created life is so inevitable they will ruin game franchises to prove their point.

Seems to me, a negative modifier that you can overcome with time and effort "simulates" that kind of fear and mistrust.

I mean in your example would that biopop really be credible? It sounds a lot like "My captors are taking very good care of me."

I see what you did there.

Even starting at -30 opinion is not a death sentence. A combination of gifts, mutual threats etc. can easily get you into the positives, able to form treaties that increase their trust in you. Contrast that with determined exterminators, who can't play the diplomacy game at all.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

Majesty owns. But its super hard to make a hands off game like that that doesn't frustrate the poo poo out of players. I'm not sure there's room in stellaris for that sort of a mechanic.

Sadly, Majesty 2 was much worse than the first game. I thought all the new units were super neat, but the cost inflation for duplicate buildings felt terribly unfun.

But Paradox did publish the second game, it would be super cool if they decided to have a third game made.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Trade routes in later Civ games are super annoying because you have to renew them manually every 20 turns or so.

Having control over your routes can mean different things. If you just have to set them once and then adjust them when necessary, or if they are created automatically but you can make changes if you wish, then I think they could be a cool, user friendly feature.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sky Shadowing posted:

I also note that the Stellaris twitter has added OwO to its avatar.

Whoever is managing that account is super active, with a reply to like half of all comments under each post. It's seriously impressive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OwlFancier posted:

If you can build a bloody ringworld or a space habitat capable of fitting a planet's worth of people on it, you can build a loving tram between your planet and your local moon.

How does this work without both bodies being tidally locked to each other?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
gently caress gently caress gently caress, I want to play with the new patch so badly.

I sound like a spoiled kid and I don't care, every time they reveal something new, it's amazing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

You monster!

Edit: Beaten :(

I really like this overhaul, it was always a bit to opaque an event to interact with. This is also a much better reminder where the subterraneans are compared to just the planet modifier.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crazycryodude posted:

Having gateway activation is also useless for getting to an objective on the other side of the galaxy, which is the context here

Not necessarily. After all, the first gateway you activate also automatically activates another one somewhere in the galaxy, so that it's not fully useless. In theory, you could get lucky and have that other gateway be somewhere near the weapon's cache.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Most Paradox games are DRM free. They have a much better way to prevent piracy, in that I couldn't imagine Stellaris without mods, for example. Or to be more correct, Stellaris without mods is still awesome, but mods add a ton of replayability.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I like the detail with the tentacle wearing jewelry :D

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Do these replace planetary edicts?

Probably, a lot of them are pretty boring.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's great that having a big food stockpile is good for more than just paying of marauders anymore. Growth is always welcome somewhere in your empire.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, what the hell is in these boxes? Are those giant crates of lube?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Once again, the Stellaris twitter person is amazing

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1047113925752496128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Over There posted:

I'm sorry to say I don't understand the thread title. What does this have to do with noot noot?

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1038129168708501506

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1038134786135605249

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1038141580320940033

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1038144620356673536

Aaaand there are a couple more. You should really follow fellow goon Wiz/Martin Anward!