Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I really like not being able to turn someone into a vassal because their naval capacity is superior to mine despite my having superior technology and quadruple their actual fleet strength.

Edit: So I spam a crapload of anchorages to equalize the naval capacity and they simultaneously hop up to "equivalent" technology.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So the Rampaging Killbots started on the other side of the galaxy from me and have steadily grown. Right when I had finally gained the access and set up the fleet to fight them, the Great Khan started loving around. Khan eventually keels over, so I can deal with the Killbots who now have a death star. I join the war against them and roll over a few systems... but it keeps giving them to another member of the coalition. (who is on the direct border with the Killbots)

How do I actually take the systems I'm cleansing? I don't have a claim option. "There's no need to claim a system controlled by a major threat."

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Some extradimensional assholes appeared in my backyard with an endless fountain of huge fleets. They carved a big chunk of space out of what used to be the Great Khan's territory, the fractured remnants unable to even act as a speed bump to the Dickhead Ghosts. Fortunately I am a full-fledged superpower and managed to pour all my might into bottlenecking them at their fountain while a formerly-sleeping empire woke up and cleaned up the outlying areas. Benevolent Interventionists, indeed, they drove fleets across the entire galaxy to come get my back. Thanks dudes! I'm probably going to have to murder you eventually.

Dickhead Ghosts left me with some fancy Matter Disintegrators. Should I be integrating that into my fleet composition, and if so, how? I am not great at ship design. However, my enemies primarily consist of matter so I feel like this should be useful.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
New game, xenophile-pacifist-egalitarian butterflies. Start in the northeast corner. The east side of the galaxy is mostly empty, with three fallen empires hemming in the southeastern nations, so vast areas of space are unclaimed. I spread tendrils west and south, becoming quite large. South of my western arm I finally meet the Rixi, a representative democracy using eagle-like portraits. We form a federation and the Rixi immediately set off spreading freedom and democracy with bombs. I don't have anywhere near their fleet strength yet so I just send my little corvette groups to hold chokepoints and intercept reinforcements while Literally Space America does its thing. I am Canada. In space.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Space Canada has done its job too well.

The galaxy is split mostly 50/50 between two federations. There's one non-fallen independent empire left. Everyone is too goddamned friendly now, my allies keep voting no on war declarations.

So how do I make them mad enough to keep kicking over the other federation's members.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Thyrork posted:

Considering what year it is, I think you'll have something fun to do soon. :unsmigghh:

You did this.

edit: RIP "Bubbles," the amoeba titan. You served me well for over a century.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 29, 2018

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Thyrork posted:

Oh such horrors await. :kheldragar:

They started off engaging the southern federation and I talked my bros into declaring war so the awakened dickheads had literally the entire galaxy gang up on them.

Suddenly I'm bleeding energy because I just picked up five of their planets and have way-exceeded my cap.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Tyrel Lohr posted:

The Mystery Traders were usually not *that* bad, since it showed you hash marks where they were going to be for each of the next 5 turns of movement (IIRC). But it was often a scramble to get your 5 Large Freighters built and in position to go meet it before it zoomed past you.

But then you get to the trader and find out that some one had sent a stealthed fleet out there to blow up your transports and prevent you from trading (or used their Super Stealth abilities to steal all of your minerals for themselves).

I too am looking forward to seeing if the Le Guin traders are going to be handing out any "Lifeboat" battleships in the early game.

My god I thought I was the only person who knew Stars! existed. I love that game.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Baronjutter posted:

I remember excitedly reading the manual during my high school orientation assembly. I didn't actually have the game, my friend let me borrow the manual while I saved up to buy it. God drat that game was not for me. I just wanted to build a fun space empire not need 3 excel sheets going on in the background to optimize my play.

Yeah playing that game against other people instead of the utterly inept AI rivaled Eve Online in terms of spreadsheet hell.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Libluini posted:

Stars! would have been a game I would have loved, but I went straight from Civ 2 to Master of Orion III and later to Space Empires V. When I learned about Stars! it was too late, I couldn't even make it run on my then-current PC.

Yeah I recall trying to get back into it years ago but it required Windows98 on a virtual machine or something

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Is there some compelling reason that the immediate action upon defeating an aggressor is to open our borders to them?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Complications posted:

Gameplay mechanics. A fleet caught inside a closed border despawns and spends years returning to your capital. This can be very inconvenient if there are faster ways and you have need of that fleet sooner.

So make the fleet jump to the nearest friendly system, or nearest starport, or reduce that transit time.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
My entire empire has decided that nobody wants to be a farmer. Food production steadily plummets. Prioritizing farmer jobs does nothing. FINE. ALL OF YOU CAN STARVE FOR ALL I CARE.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I had two caravan fleets squatting on my front lawn and they wouldn't loving leave. The beta patch apparently fixes this, so in celebration I've started a new game with the Sovereignty of Front Lawn. Xenophobic/Spiritualist/Pacifist with Inward Perfection and Agrarian Idyll.

The lawn is sacred. Xenos must stay off the lawn.

The Landscaper teaches us that the universe was created to be our lawn.

There are Xenos in the universe.

What a conundrum.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Uhh, when did the Diplomacy traditions go away?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

wiegieman posted:

When you played a civ with civics that don't allow them.

That would explain it. I got thrown by the fact that this discovery coincided with a beta patch

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

BrandorKP posted:

Nah, why not drill down.

Like poking a hole in the bottom of your boat to get to the ocean, sure.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The Howling Vortex system, which I do not actually own, is repeatedly spewing free minerals and sometimes energy at me.

Surely nothing can go wrong here.

edit: It shoved like 5000 minerals at me over the course of a year or two and then closed. Okey dokey!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not the only reason. I'm sure the vast majority of the thread have, at some time or another, gone to war to secure samples of interesting animals during the open borders period after (or similar).

In my case, the AI used it to colonize poo poo on my side of the border, including accessing a wormhole which exits on the other side of my empire. I'm sure that will never become tactically awkward.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Dire Lemming posted:

Only if they also got no truce timer. The whole point of open borders after a war is so that you don't end up completely blocked from expanding for years after a truce which would be worse for a total war empire than anyone else.

If the result of the war means you're completely blocked from expanding, that means you fuckin lost.

Being unable to colonize through the space of an empire you just lost a war to feels like how war kinda works. In fact, in the scenario I ran across it has the opposite effect of what you describe. I was attacked by a hostile invader because he wanted to expand into my area, and the fact that I won is exactly what lets him do that completely unopposed.

With more hilarity, I got my entire fleet trapped when I stepped in to help fend of the Great Khan. I ignored the battle for a while because it wasn't near my territory, but various enemies of mine opened their borders so I could assist. Eventually they started getting their asses kicked and turned into vassals to KKHHAAAAN, so I had to go whoop some rear end. The second I turned Ghengis' ship into scrap, the borders closed behind me because the assholes decided they didn't need me anymore.

Had to wait until the AI retook the now-empty space to get my free teleport home.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 6, 2019

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Darkrenown posted:

Yes in that it's a check for closest system rather than random, no in that it does actually check for an unowned system with no hostile ships. On the downside, there's no fallback if it doesn't find one.

Make the "Rubricator Coordinates Explored 0/1" tag in the log actually point to the system because I straight don't know where the thing spawned. It's been like a century.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
It's fun to watch the AI get magic free ships appear out of nowhere, and it's extra fun when one of those spawns happens to be invulnerable. It was just three corvettes, but I just had to tank them continuously until I wiped out the enemy faction entirely.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Complications posted:

Saving, quitting, and reloading didn't fix the problem?

I'll try that next time it happens.

edit: disregard.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 7, 2019

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
*twiddles thumbs waiting on purging the final species, crime rampant on numerous conquered worlds and long-neglected empire*

*starts replacing every building on planets with crime with precincts*

Can't have crime if everyone is a cop *thinking guy meme*

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Uhh, the Fallen Empire robits have been purged. There's nobody left. One of the trade groups still shows up in the contact list, along with the shroud.

I have a sentry array. There aren't any fuckin ships other than mine! Unless the enigmatic cache counts. Trying to get the Xenophobe Empire purging all sapients achievement. Galaxy Species window shows nobody but me alive.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Grapplejack posted:

Make sure you check the l cluster and also blow up any pre spaceflight races hanging out.

L cluster belongs to me.

Four species show up in the Galaxy Species list with 0 pops.

And the traders who don't seem to have any enclaves.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Unconnected systems can be reached via jump drive!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Oh no, a Marauder spawn! I sure hope they're not going to be a prob-

Makes their "gonna gently caress you UP, son!" transmissions all the more hilarious.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I've been playing with AI scaling off since day one because I didn't read the tooltip.

No wonder the early game seemed tough.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Can a devouring swarm hive mind turn the First League homeworld into the megacity?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Potato Salad posted:

sorta

You get to build hive districts and foundry districts

What are the prerequisites to doing that? I don't see the option in the decisions list.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Complications posted:

I think you'll need the technology Anti-Gravity Engineering.

Have that one. Have drat near everything at this point!

Edit: Wasn't there supposed to be some "ruined ecumenopolis" feature in the planetary feature list?

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 21, 2019

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Leal posted:

They don't like it.

+1 yearly indicates they're warming up to the idea.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The AI decisions to start a war seem... very regular. Playing DE on Grand Admiral. The same two empires attack me in short succession. Win the war, some time later... same two empires attacking in the same order.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The galaxy I am in right now is just horrifying. I'm a Determined Exterminator, there are two Fanatical Purifiers and another Determined Exterminator AI. Another is "Slaving Despots" (Fanatic Militarist Authoritarian Imperial). "Ruthless Coporation" (Fanatic Militarist Authoritarian Megacorp).

And one "Harmonious Collective," Xenophile Fanatic Authoritarian Dictatorship. (sounds harmonious!)

Edit: Megacorp promptly obliterated.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ConfusedUs posted:

Did you know you can form an alliance with the other DE? Defensive pacts, the works.

Yes, we're running over the poor bastard Xenophiles who are in between us right now.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
If I'm playing terminatorbots is there any reason not to upgrade all my planets to machine worlds?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Not that it, you know, matters at this point.

Terminator bros for life!

Gonna be twiddling our thumbs for decades before a crisis shows up.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Fun discovery: There's a excavation site outcome that gives your scientist a trait that massively increases excavation time. This excavation time gets added to the site so it actually applies to your entire nation!

98,200 days remaining on this site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

scaterry posted:

God, that sounds hilarious. Picture please?

I swapped out for a dude with 25% faster excavation and it didn't change the days remaining but I think they count down faster?