Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Great op, gonna repost a question from the last thread.

Does anyone have any good mods that add in races/empires from other sci-fi franchises?

Also any recommended mods that still maintain ironman/achievements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Syndlig posted:

quoting these for the new thread.

Thanks for this! Got Apocalypse and the Humanoid species pack for $22 instead of $28!

Kaza42 posted:

There are some great animated Mass Effect portraits. And some mods add in them as pre-built races, but I disagreed with their trait picks and just made my own

Ah yeah I wanna try and find mods that add in races so I can encounter the tree people, Klingons, the Geth, Shivans, etc.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thyrork posted:

Never seen this reply before. :allears:

I dunno who writes all the little blurbs like that for Paradox but I love all the little references they sprinkle throughout.

Honestly the thing I'm most excited about with Apocalypse is now that I've actually won a game and gotten all the end-game crises achievements and the exterminate all life achievement I can play a game where I'm not having to be super game-y and do things I don't like.

Maybe I'll try a Spiritualist empire? I'm debating between that and a machine hive mind.

I really just like exploring and the events and not so much all the combat, but that's how I've always played 4X games and Civilization.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

What's the title a reference to? Other than Wiz and the death of the warp drive, of course.

The best film that takes an hour+ to get going and you think its boring and lovely and then becomes insanely good as you watch Brad Pitt portrays a man having a paranoid nervous breakdown on screen and is also a mass murderer but who people revere as a hero because of romanticizing criminals and resulted in the guy who actually caught him being ostracized from society and eventually murdered himself.

Or this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Well I really like this patch but something weird as hell happened.

I'm a spiritualist, pacifist egalitarian empire and I just got the event chain that terraforms a new world I colonized and it made it into a Gaia world.

Seems great! Everyone is migrating in and things are good. I'm making +20 in energy, +15 in minerals and +3 in food. Then suddenly I'm in the negative in all of them and my stockpiles start dropping.

I'm now at 0 everything and all my planets are in revolt. Is this a bug or did I just gently caress up horribly?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

1stGear posted:

How drastically did you expand with your outposts? Each system with an outpost adds to your research costs, so if you spam them too fast you can balloon your tech tree drastically.

Oh poo poo it does?? Well that explains a lot :negative:

OwlFancier posted:

Wow the piracy event does not gently caress around.

Do pirates steal resources if they blow up your outposts? That...would explain a lot.

Might have to abandon this playthrough :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Got a simple question for folks.

If you get raided by pirates/raiders are they able to steal your stockpiled food/energy/minerals or just blow stuff up?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tomn posted:

I had one star tribe say they were going to raid me.

Shortly after I got a message saying that their raiding fleet had been destroyed and the raid was off.

When I zoomed to the site of the event, it bought me to the territory of ANOTHER star tribe. Apparently the first star tribe tried to route their raid through the territory of the second, and they disagreed with each other.

Yeah, they can steal resources and enslave pops. It's a bit of a bitch.

Ah okay thanks for this. That explains the economic collapse I had in my game. I was running slightly negative on everything but planning on building enough mines/power plants/farms to offset and then I got raided, taking everything to 0 and causing mass starvation, making everyone's productivity fall even further and then spawning a bunch of mass riots which were impossible to put down.

I'm going to restart this evening.

It's also very annoying to play on a large galaxy now with how long it takes to move around. It took me nearly a year to move from one end of my empire to the other and I was still only at 4 colonies.

I also recommend people not turn down the number of hyperlanes. I tried 0.75x and got blocked in by an enigmatic fortress and a fallen empire.

edit: I also think I overexpanded because I didn't realize how much adding starbases everywhere was cutting into my research. Lesson learned - only expand if you have a reason to, going for pretty borders is a bad choice now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

That Works posted:

The game is just reminding you that free will is a myth and that the one true path is a collective of inorganic intelligence that shuns the weakness of organic life and thought.

Turns out from reading comments here I had aliens move off developed worlds for the undeveloped Gaia world, putting my previous surpluses at deficits.

Then nearby pirates raided my systems and stole all my stuff and running a deficit at 0 stockpile of all goods is basically a game over as everyone will start revolting and your fleets are useless. I'm going to start a new game and write this one off as "the tree-people delved too deep and too greedily" and collapsed their society.

It's sort of neat that the game quasi-models an empire collapsing due to an economic depression now! New hidden feature!

I would like if you could move faster from system to system though, but overall I'm a big fan of this update.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I feel bad for Wiz and the QA team that everyone on the Paradox forums seems to think they don't test their games. :smith:

There aren't any real show-stopping bugs right now, I think that's pretty good for a release that changes how pretty much the entire game works.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gyrotica posted:

Is that x.75 density? Because it looks perfect for what I want.

Looks like it. That's what my map looked like last night when I played on 0.75x.

It's a bit dicey because you can get bottled up by Fallen Empires and the Leviathans but I feel like it makes things more strategic.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Restarted my game and I'm next to a hive mind that isn't immediately hostile. I wasn't aware this could happen, I thought all hive minds were hostile to everything. New friends yay!

Can I get them to move in to my super cool new colony or do they keep to themselves?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I've played a bit on the new patch and here are my thoughts.

1) The new expansion system is way better than the old one. It feels like territory is important now and there are real trade-offs by expanding rapidly. I've kept an entire area of the galaxy cordoned off with a huge bastion just because it doesn't have much purpose.

2) The Fleet Manager is clearly bugged and I've gotten tons of 10/0 Corvette issues no matter what I do. I hope it gets fixed with the hotfix

3) Playing on a large+ galaxy is nearly impossible because of the travel times. I tried playing on a large spiral galaxy so I could get the "Have 10 migration treaties" and "Have 10 species on one planet" achievement and it's been absolute hell. My empire is about a tenth of the galaxy and is by no means the biggest and I'm having to treat it like the Eastern and Western Roman Empire where there's no coordination between the two halves since it takes decades to move fleets around. This really caused an issue when the Great Khan came around as I had to fight with one hand behind my back instead of moving over another fleet to deal with the existential crisis.

I imagine I'm going to be screwed when the end-game crises show up.

I also have gotten to keeping empty science vessels parked around the empire because it takes longer to fly out and complete debris scans from my core worlds where my scientists are doing research assistance. This seems game-y as hell. Maybe increase the travel speed for construction/science ships back to the old levels?

4) The Great Khan event seems way too strong. I was fielding 2 fleets of ~20k and my vassal neighbors had 2-3 fleets of about 10k. We combined had the biggest fleet of anyone in the galaxy save Fallen Empires. Yet the Great Khan spawned with something like 10-12 fleets of 10k :stare: plus all the fleets they already had. That's strong enough to have taken out a Fallen Empire if they had moved that way. Seems like it's just way too strong right now.

5) Fleet Admirals seem to constantly place themselves on the most broken down ship they can, so when that ship is destroyed/retreats the admiral immediately leaves combat. This seems like a bug and it made the Great Khan disappear off the map entirely so despite my attempts to beat him in combat for the achievement I never could since he vanished.

6) The "must border" condition for rivals/war seems like a good idea in theory but becomes a mess in practice. There's a slaver empire right next door to me but because I kept a neutral zone, neither of us can rival the other or declare war despite us both hating each other.

7) The War Exhaustion issue is obviously a big one right now. I've never seen a War in Heaven and would love to participate in one, but I saw that folks are seeing those white peace out after a few years, which seems to defeat the whole point of the War in Heaven being a Fallen Empire struggle to the death.

All that said, I think it's the best patch yet, it just needs some slight tweaks and some bug fixes. I really hope they do something to speed up travel time as the game goes on as I'm sort of dreading starting the game back up and getting into the crises instead of it being the highlight of the game.

edit: Also forgot that the "vasselize" war goal option is basically useless right now as to succeed with it you have to capture the entire empire. This is fine for someone who's only a planet or two but with anyone larger than that it's impossible to win before the war exhaustion hits.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 26, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Space Skeleton posted:

Oh man that gives me an idea: what if there was a diplomacy/war goal option to declare "neutral" systems between you and the other empire? This would prevent border friction but still count you as neighbors for everything else and maybe have other effects/events?

That'd be a great idea.

I'd also love to see a colossus that lets you destroy/modify the hyperlane network.

I just got jump drives but it doesn't seem like they do much except make you move faster, which is a shame. If I'm risking the Unbidden I at least want to be able to use my entire military force to counter them without it taking years to get the fleet in place.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

I really like the idea of the slower travel times, but they need to be offset by engine tech as the game goes on. Haven't played long enough to see if this is the case...But sounds like maybe not.

I just got Jump Drives and Colossi and it still takes ages for anyone to get anywhere. I'm fine with it taking a very long time to go from one end of the galaxy to the other at game start but the engine tech should really speed things up so by the endgame you're zipping around.

I think someone here or on r/stellaris had the idea of letting you "improve" hyperlanes to speed the travel time up like building roads/railroads in the Civilization series which I see as a good compromise idea. Also would give your construction ships something to do once you're done expanding and building mining stations/research stations.

Plus democracies could have the "build roads" mandate instead of the mandate being to build mines/research stations when your empire is completely built out.

edit: Quick funny story. I neighbored a small hive mind and I managed to vassalize them because of utterly destroying them in a war I mean the scary slaver empire next door. After a while they seemed pretty content and so I hit the integrate button...which proceeded to purge all of them after the integration was complete.

Oops!

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 26, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tomn posted:

Really? That's interesting - I had a smaller galaxy, but saw Khanate fleets of 20k. Mind, I had two fleets of 26k or so myself. Maybe the Khanate automatically tries to scale to make themselves a challenge for whoever the frontrunner is?

I will note that the Khanate looks scarier than it is - it has a lot of fleets, but it usually seems to send them into any given area one at a time, with a short delay before sending in another way. With a fleet strong enough to stomp them flat or a powerful defensive starbase it's not that hard to fend them off...until the point where they break through your weaker neighbors and outflank your defenses, anyways, but it's possible to hold them in check long enough that they don't have much of a chance to rampage before the Khan dies.

Also I'm not sure if it's a matter of fleet composition or tech or what, but I find that Khanate fleets don't seem to be quite as formidable as their fleet power suggests - I only needed to be a little bit stronger than they were to flatten them with fairly low losses. Might have just been a quirk of the way my ships were designed, though.

Oh yeah, I managed to fight them off by syncing up with my vassals and very judiciously hitting them any time they moved into my space. My surprise was more that it seems like that much fleet power is an end-game crisis rather than a mid-game.

If I'm the strongest military power in the galaxy and their fleets dwarf mine it makes it feel pretty impossible to defeat them on the battlefield.

Space Skeleton posted:

There is a jump button at the top of the fleet window when you have a fleet selected which lets you skip hyperlanes for one jump, but puts the fleet in a cooldown state where their combat effectiveness is cut in half for a bit once they arrive. You can dramatically cut travel times by leaping across spiral arms or past nests of systems this way.

:downs:

Well then, thanks for the info!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Gaian creation perk? It takes so long (same as before, was always too long) and doesn't improve things THAT much compared to teraforming to the correct habitability or gene modding. I feel like taking the ascension perk and becoming master terraformers it should take the same time as the other options.

I only see it as viable if you have a big multicultural empire and thus everyone gets mad all the time about living in the desert when they like rain forests or in the mountains when they like the ocean or if you are life-seeded.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gyrotica posted:

Talking to a proper Hive Mind drone would probably be really incredible. Honestly it's hard for me to even grasp. One of the few things I would consider fundamentally 'inhuman'.

It'd be like talking to an ant or a bee as they're probably the best representation we have on Earth of a hive mind.

There's an Animorphs book where they turn into ants and I think it got being so inter-connected mostly right. They experience it as an overwhelming drive to do what the rest of the colony is doing.

I dunno. It's like imagining talking to your liver or a collection of skin cells. It's fundamentally alien.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tomn posted:

A Hive Mind that really wants to know more about these strange single-minded "individuals," and who can gain bonuses for convincing other empires to allow emissary drones to live on their planets to learn more about them would be a neat trope to get in.

I think this makes a lot of sense.

Approach it from our perspective. If we found a bacteria that could write and carry on conversation and fly in space wouldn't we be utterly fascinated by it?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Oh also, is there any way to get the notifications that actually require player action like trade deals to actually pop-up instead of leaving a notification icon? I'm constantly spammed with notifications and I have no idea if they're important or not because the icon for "we want to trade something with you" blurs together with the "someone made an agreement" notifications.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

GotLag posted:

Oh yeah it also removes all the restrictions on simultaneous construction, as well as allowing multiple per empire (except for sentry arrays, you only get one of those).

My main problem with megastructures is how much time and effort you have to sink to even be able to build them. You have to have researched top-level starbases and reactors and then wait for a rare tech to drop (or blow an ascension perk on master builders to just make the tech appear), and ringworlds cost two perks (voidborne and ring of life) in addition to megastructures. I don't have time to look up the numbers but what's the earliest you can get ringworlds, your fifth ascension perk?

Agreed, by the time I'm able to actually build them there's pretty much no reason to do so as I've already won the economic side of the game plus blowing an ascension perk on them seems like a waste.

I could maybe see Voidborne+Ring of Life making sense for life-seeded empires as you'll get the ability to actually expand but it just doesn't seem worth it.

It'd be more interesting if you could conceivably rush megastructures but in doing so cripple your military/expansion.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What do you do with Influence when you stop expanding and can afford to keep all edicts running all the time? The only way I can seem to drain the pool is by rigging elections.

I mean, I'm happy that I get to keep my immortal psychic tree friend as eternal president, but it seems like there should be something else to spend influence on.

Agreed. The 1,000 infulence cap is also really restrictive (by design?) as there are times that I want to save up a lot and mass declare claims but I can't do so and so instead I'm just constantly pissing off my rival.

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 28, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
My beautiful creations.

The Remnant (Species: Fallen Humans)

Intended to be a post-apocalyptic race of humans who are pissed that they were stranded on a dying world.

The Gaian Confederacy (Species: Humans)

Intended to be played only in games where The Remnant is used. These are the people who fled and while you can't force it they should always end up arch-rivals with the Remnant.

March of the Butterflies (Species: KILLER BUTTERFLIES)

VERY CUTE. VERY SCARY.

The Grove of Tranquility (Species: Barkians)

Basically tree hippies. In my game they also became psychic.

TGLT posted:

Yeah, that's a whole other event. And unfortunately a one off. I don't think the Other Science Ship ever turns out to be a trap or anything. You'll know if you got the Horizon Signal chain. The writing stands out. edit: One of the creator's other works, Sunless Sea, has the best achievement.

The writer of Sunless Sea wrote Horizon Signal? That's the best event chain in the game. poo poo, I need to get around to playing Sunless Sea then.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Cracked my first world, which was occupied by flower people. It was their capital world too. Quite ironic considering I'm tree people. But the galactic response was :geno:

Shouldn't everyone be either terrified or allying against me at this point? A -100 malus to opinion didn't do too much because everyone seems to like me a whole lot.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I know ship design is a whole can of worms to open up, but in general do you want multiple versions of each class to fill different roles now or are there more or less 'optimal' setups for each ship class you want to stack?

Here's what I've been doing. Note this is the mid to late game.

20-25 Torpedo Boat Corvettes armed with my strongest torpedos with a swarm AI
10-15 Picket Corvettes with point defense weapons set to picket AI
5-10 Picket Destroyers with point defense weapons set to picket AI
5-10 Light Ships of the Line (Destroyers with medium weapons and a line AI)
5-8 Heavy Ships of the Line (Cruisers with medium weapons, a hanger and a line AI)
2-3 Artillery Battleships (Battleships with heavy weapons and the artillery AI)
1 Titan (X-class weapons and artillery AI)

You should play with what *kind* of weapons you're using but this set up seems to shred everyone.

edit:

If you really want to get into optimization though here's my thought. You should put weapons that shred shields or armor on your artillery. They should be able to engage quickly and wear down the defenses of the enemy. The goal is to weaken everyone with the artillery and then use the torpedo boats to rack up the kills. The Picket Corvettes/Destroyers serve as your defense and prevent the enemy from using the same torpedo swarm on you. Ships of the Line are to keep anyone from getting into the face of your artillery and screwing them up while also dealing with anything too beefy for the torpedo boats.

Based on that you'll want to assign weapons based on role (unless of course you know your enemy's composition in which case optimize to that)

Torpedo Boats get whatever category of torpedo is strongest. They shouldn't need to worry about shields/armor so just give whatever hits the hardest.

Picket Ships get the strongest point-defense available. Their goal is to shoot down any missiles/fighters that launch so optimize for that rather than pure damage dealing.

Ships of the Line should emphasize one of armor/shield destruction, whichever one you don't optimize for on your artillery.

Artillery should really only be used to soften up targets for everyone else, so anything that does bonus damage to shields or armor are great here and you shouldn't worry about any hull penalties as the Torpedo Boats will take care of the kill shots.

I will say for the first time ever in this game ship designing is fun and isn't just "spam a ship type endlessly". It pays to think things through a bit more now.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 28, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Sounds like it's time to restart after opting into the patch then... I kinda a liked my current map, too.

The outpost maintenance sounds unnecessary and I don't know why they'd add it in but maybe it will have some other effect we've yet to realize.

Buff to tall empires?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The new beta patch is wonderful. I made not-The Borg and I've been having a great time with it. I turned tech/unity costs to .75 and the game has been flying by. I really stacked the cost to build modifiers so it costs almost nothing to build new borg.

Been a really fun game so far, I've never colonized but I've got 4 other planets already.

Question though, is there a downside to putting population controls on your cyborg thralls? I don't want them sullying my pure assimilators with their biological garbage filling up my worlds.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

The more I see the numbers being run on costs and how the mechanics play out in the game, the more I realize the 2% research penalty for each claimed system is bullshit. I'm honestly not sure why it's in the game, it seems very poorly thought-out. I need to figure out how to mod this crap out.

Beta patch changed it to only 1% which is fairly minor for marginal gains but still provides a difference between wide and tall empires.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I feel like they should be far more transformational, and far less commonplace, than they currently are. It should be a huge deal when you pick one. I don't like how many of the perks are really just feats of engineering, or relatively weak bonuses to cap or research.

An ascension perk should be a defining attribute of the species, something that transforms it into something unique. Maybe something so unique that only one species can get each one.

Agreed. Right now I spend a lot of my campaigns sitting on ascension perks waiting for mega-engineering or titans or some other tech so I can get something interesting rather than a flat bonus since it can take a few decades to get an ascension perk if you are a big enough empire.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Really what the game needs is the ability to ascend a winning species to FE status for the next game. AI controlled but reflects what you did. If you Ended the Cycle they need to be fanatically opposed to Psychics.

That would be a really neat thing. Same thing if the AI won.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Senor Dog posted:

That's awesome! In my one game on 2.0 the mongols ran into a fallen empire and got wrecked :( but I hope I one day will get to be space central europe saved from ruin by one dude's drinking problem.

Someone in my game pissed off a FE and caused them to wake up and annex them, which caused the xenophobe FE to wake up.

Shouldn't this trigger a war in heaven?

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 6, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I am finally seeing my first War in Heaven and it is incredible. I've had so much fun I wrote up a little thing about it.

I'm playing as a Driven Assimilator race - The Borg Collective. They're, well. The Borg. Everyone hates me except the other machine empire (The OARR Animus) who have decided I'm pretty awesome. For the whole game it's been the two of us beating up our neighbors and generally being unrepentant assholes.

State of the Galaxy at the Opening of the War in Heaven

The Great Khan came and went without much happening since he died very quickly but it's created a bit of border gore you can see in the southwest. The Fanatic Materialist Quentil Directors were awakened when the nearby Fanatic Authoritarian (I think) Bebaki Autocracy got the idea to try and take some of their systems. Bad idea. Following that the Fanatic Xenophobe Zukakkan Reconquerers began to stir and the war was on, derailing my plans to strike the final blow against the Khan's remnant and my constant ugly bordered nemesis The Panuuri Accord.

Also note how the entire southeastern portion of the galaxy is largely unexplored. It was there that the sparks of war first flew.

The Last Alliance of Machines and Biologicals

In early 2427, two small Quentil and Zukakkan Leviathan hunter parties encountered each other near the wormhole of Ruqlar, both on the hunt for a rumored Stellar Devourer. No one is clear who shot first, but what began as a misunderstanding soon became an all-out war. With both Awakened Empires demanding loyalty an emergency meeting of the little used Council of the Stars was called. In this meeting the threat was made clear: the Awakened Empires would accept nothing but total submission from the rest of the galaxy. Debate raged into the night about which of the two the rest of the galaxy should side with, when suddenly the representatives from the Borg Collective and OARR Animus entered. Long-barred from meetings of the Council, their appearance was quite the shock. Even more stunning, the dreaded machine empires had a counter-proposition to the Awakened Empire's: join us instead as equal partners.

Outraged, the Bebaki representative threatened to walk out if any of the other galactic races considered the proposal and perhaps even war. But, seeing no real alternative the rest of the galaxy, save for the true pacifists of The Stellar Axis in the northeast agreed to the alliance, signing what became known as The Last Alliance of Machines and Biologicals.

The War Begins

Given the vast size of the Alliance, and facing two extremely powerful foes it was impossible to hope to defeat both at once. As a result, the Alliance determined that the Borg, OARR, and Great Khan remnants would attempt to defeat the Quentil Directors while the Panuuri fleet held fast against the Zukakkan.

This strategy would prove to be an utter failure. With almost no resistance, the Zukakkan broke through the Panuuri lines and have since been harassing their systems at will. Only the daring and bravery from the small remnant of the Panuuri fleet have kept the Zukakkan from striking deep into Panuuri territory.

Atrocities

Thanks to the combined fleet power of the Machine Empires, the war in the south was going much better, with Alliance forces managing to repel an offensive focused on the Khan's home planet of Opoke Roost in the Bir system from the Quentils in the opening days of the war. Losses were catastrophic however and despite winning the day, the Alliance fleet was forced to withdraw to the chokepoint at Dimm for repairs and resupply as Bir and its surrounding were deemed impossible to hold against another onslaught.

It would prove a costly retreat.

In late 2427, fragmented communications came in from Opoke Roost. Some sort of massive Quentil weapon had positioned itself above the planet and appeared to be making some sort of lattice. By the time the Alliance figured out what was happening and sortied the fleet back towards the Bir system, it was too late. Opoke Roost had been Sealed, forever cut off from the rest of galactic society. Not even the morally abhorrent Borg had done such a thing, despite their assurances that they could if they wanted to.

A Third Front

The Bebaki proved true to their word, and within a few months of the Sealing of Opoke Roost they had begun a campaign in earnest to take back the systems they felt the rest of the galaxy had stolen from them. Given the Alliance's preoccupation with the War in Heaven, this could prove a very lucrative strategy and yet it could doom the rest of the galaxy to live out its days under the thumb of an Awakened Empire, but currently it has done nothing other than divert OARR fleets away from the main battle lines to protect the flank connecting the OARR and Panuuri empires.

Desperate Times

Following the Sealing, the Quentils were unable to make further headway into former Khan space. The Dimm system had proved a tough nut to crack, but fortunately for the Quentils, a second route existed into Khan space. Not nearly as efficient as the Dimm path, it would still open up the Alliance front lines. By 2431 the so-called backdoor strategy appeared to be a success. The Quentils had carved up the Khan's space and looked to be on the poise of success. Another 2 worlds had been shielded and if the Quentils could force a decisive battle and destroy or cripple the Borg fleet, the Khans could certainly be rolled up and removed from the picture.

The Quentil fleet is massing in Golba. Sym and Nishpan have already been written off by Alliance High Command. The question now is: does the Alliance dare risk moving their fleet out away from Dimm, opening up the key refueling and resupply depot to attack, or do they leave the Khans to their fate?

:ohdear: I have no idea what to do. This is so much fun.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont think he ever left, he just been hella busy.

I would try to ask him some question, but, well, he hella busy.

Yeah I always assume the Paradox devs are lurking their threads.

Seriously, this expansion's one of the best in Paradox history Wiz, great job!

The more reactive/elaborate events is something I'm looking forward to. If they added 4-5 Horizon Signal level event chains that'd be really neat.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dongattack posted:

What's wrong with ground combat? Other than it being a single boring buttonpress.

DatonKallandor posted:

Manually rebuilding armies is a pain in the rear end.

This. I'd like if they integrated armies into fleets themselves and had them count against the fleet cap. It'd be much less of a pain. As it is I'm debating going around and shielding/cracking worlds for the War In Heaven just because it'll be faster than using my armies.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Any serious bugs/problems with the new patch? Want to give the new DLC content and anomalies a shot but not if things are broken and there'll be a new bug fix patch soon.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Welp guess I'm waiting for the next patch again because this sounds cool. The Paradox Cycle strikes again!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Aethernet posted:

Thank you for your unconforming confirmation. The choral pieces in Stellaris are especially amazing.

"Faster than Light" is my favorite Stellaris track so I hope we get more stuff like it!

Actually most of the soundtrack is really good and thematic, I like it a lot.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just bought the DLC to show my support for the death of tiles.

Wish I could play right now...

Between this, the newest (final?) CK2 DLC and the upcoming HOI4 DLC, this fall/winter has seen some great releases.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
huh, according to r/stellaris if you use a planet cracker to crack a specialized world the game now treats it as a big global event, which is neat.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Aw you can't make futurama robot mafia because robots are forced to be gestalt consciousness machine intelligence.

they are? if so i think that's a change from 2.1.

i think i did a game with robots as a non-machine intelligence once. i just had to click off the ethic/trait and it let me play individualistic robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The new game is Victoria 3 and nothing anyone says or does can convince me otherwise and it will be the greatest game ever made and the insane expectations will in no way ruin things.

:ohdear: