Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

so this shows that what, we have 6 times as many unsolved murders??

Data by default doesn't mean anything. In this case the data shows that 6x as many people die because of homicide in the US as homicide crimes are solved by British police. Not sure if that means anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Yardbomb posted:

People need to stop going ape over the spooky scary ARs that get used in a tiny minority of killings (But do still work on legislating them too though) and first work on handguns primarily, which are what actually get used in the largest deal of murders. I said it either in the last gun thread or in the orange man thread, people don't pull a fat rear end rifle out of their coat when some thug shoves assaults them, they don't rob the corner store and blast the clerk with them, they don't "break up a fight" and kill some random bystander with them and so on, that's pretty much always some turd with a glock or whatever else.

As a guy who owns both of these things, what if we just ban the sale and tax the transfer of semi-automatic weapons and require them to be registered. Like we did with automatics. Then we can let the price soar out of reach of most people and the slow decline of the weapons will begin to phase then out.

Have a voluntary buy back as well but for the most part go for a generational shift.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

OK, now do the same with actual homicide rate, rather than gun deaths (aka homicide + suicide to inflate the numbers). If guns are the driver of homicides, method substitution isn't a real problem, and guns don't make us any more safe, then homicide rate should have a similar distribution, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

OK, now do the same with actual homicide rate, rather than gun deaths (aka homicide + suicide to inflate the numbers). If guns are the driver of homicides, method substitution isn't a real problem, and guns don't make us any more safe, then homicide rate should have a similar distribution, right?

...but they don't make us anymore safer. This isn't even a debatable point.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Guns are lawful evil

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Guns are lawful evil
Mosins have +1 cold damage and nazibane.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

...but they don't make us anymore safer. This isn't even a debatable point.
Safe from violent crime? That's not what those graphs are claiming to show, and violent crime is the purported concern 99% of the time when people call for more gun control. My hypotheses is that gun ownership rates and the strictness of gun laws are not in any way significantly correlated with violent crime or homicide rates, because the thing that drives people to commit crimes is not access to the means.

If gun availability increases overall homicide rates, rather than the prevalence of guns as a fraction of homicides, then post a chart comparing gun ownership rates to overall homicide rates. It should show the same thing, yes?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

Safe from violent crime? That's not what those graphs are claiming to show, and violent crime is the purported concern 99% of the time when people call for more gun control. My hypotheses is that gun ownership rates and the strictness of gun laws are not in any way significantly correlated with violent crime or homicide rates, because the thing that drives people to commit crimes is not access to the means.

Uh, no. Not at all. And you know better, since there is no significant evidence to the contrary outside of questionable research groups and Conservative think tanks with NRA links:

But then again, we all know why you got that nice, custom avatar.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/08/the-states-with-the-most-gun-laws-see-the-fewest-gun-related-deaths/448044/

Gun Regulation works. There's no evidence to the contrary, and your hypothesis was DOA before you even tried to play that card.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Please don't humor DR.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

Please don't humor DR.

I know, I shouldn't. He always argues in bad faiths with his little personal hypothesis'

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 26, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Gun Regulation works.
Good gun regulation works. Too bad so much of it is stupid.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yardbomb posted:

People need to stop going ape over the spooky scary ARs that get used in a tiny minority of killings (But do still work on legislating them too though) and first work on handguns primarily, which are what actually get used in the largest deal of murders. I said it either in the last gun thread or in the orange man thread, people don't pull a fat rear end rifle out of their coat when some thug shoves assaults them, they don't rob the corner store and blast the clerk with them, they don't "break up a fight" and kill some random bystander with them and so on, that's pretty much always some turd with a glock or whatever else.

Few, if any people think that AR's are scary, it's just a way of infantilizing proponents of gun control. AR's are used in Mass shootings, people want those to stop.

Yes, handguns are the bigger problem. We can do several things.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I mean, it's hard to craft meaningful legislation when you've got a powerful lobby whose sole purpose is to disrupt and deny effective gun control.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

At this point: We know it works in pretty much any form. Its kinda like people who decry Chicago gun regs as a "failure" while ignoring they largely fail because Indiana next door has very lax gun regs and there is no state border enforcement over importing firearms.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

AR's are used in Mass shootings, people want those to stop.

Because they are popular and because the media lionizes the shooter and the gun after every incident.

Nothing about the AR platform makes it uniquely useful for murder.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

At this point: We know it works in pretty much any form
The AWB demonstrably did nothing to reduce crime. Yet Democrats love calling for it's return. The epitome of 'Do something!" lawmaking.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 26, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

.......do I even have to bother to disprove this?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, go ahead and try? Maybe I'll learn something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I mean, go ahead and try? Maybe I'll learn something.

Your right, shooters just choose it because its so popular versus any actual combat specifics that make it an appealing combat weapon. That's why the DoD chose the M4 obviously, they just wanted to fit in with the crowd.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The AWB demonstrably did nothing to reduce crime. Yet Democrats love calling for it's return. The epitome of 'Do something!" lawmaking.

Marco Rubio has an odd user name.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Because they are popular and because the media lionizes the shooter and the gun after every incident.

Hhahaha come on dude, you need to do better than this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Oh man the military is gonna feel real silly about spending all this money on M-16s and M-4s when they could have just bought some old bolt actions for cheap which are just as effective :downsgun:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I hear the Lee Enfield and Mossin Nagant are coming back in style.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Your right, shooters just choose it because its so popular versus any actual combat specifics that make it an appealing combat weapon. That's why the DoD chose the M4 obviously, they just wanted to fit in with the crowd.
I was kinda hoping you'd try. That would have been interesting.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rent-A-Cop posted:

There's literally no difference in effectiveness between an AR15 and flintlock :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Low effort in, low effort out.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
If both sides of gunchat could come together in good faith and acknowledge

1) having an armed populace serves a social good
2) doing everything possible to keep arms out of the hands of people likely to use them for mass shootings is a social good

there are a raft of legislative options and incentives that could radically reduce gun violence in america. Instead one side sees guns as only for murdering kids and the other side sees them as magic totems of masculinity so lol we live in the worst of all worlds.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Low effort in, low effort out.
Type bans are stupid and easy to circumvent. If you want to make a difference you ban semiauto rifles entirely and shift the mass murderers to carbines, which may be slightly less effective in shooting unarmed people at point blank.

I don't agree that's a good idea, but it at least makes sense if your only goal is to reduce the death toll in mass shootings.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Type bans are stupid and easy to circumvent. If you want to make a difference you ban semiauto rifles entirely and shift the mass murderers to carbines, which may be slightly less effective in shooting unarmed people at point blank.

"Slightly Less" Yes, I forgot how quickly a person can accurately bump fire my Mauser. That god damned bolt is so easy to cycle with one finger.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Wakko posted:

That's not a good start lmao

EDIT unless you call more dead Americans a social good, but ymmv

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gun nuts are the spiritual descendants of the WW1 French generals who dressed their soldiers in bright blue and gleaming bronze and outrageous feathers and ordered cavalry charges on German positions because "the mechanically devious Hun is so proud of his 'machine-gun', but all guns are the same, it's just powder exploding behind a bullet, not so different from the musketeers that fled before the élan of Napoleon's daring cavalry" *gets torn to shreds*

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Violent Crime

from WaPo
So it looks like if there's enough population density to "support" violent crime, then guns sure as hell seem to drive a higher rate of it.

Gun homicides only

from /dataisbeautiful

So, strict gun laws reduce gun deaths in general, but (in places like DC and Chicago) people will take advantage of weak gun laws in neighboring states when they want to have guns for killing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

"Slightly Less" Yes, I forgot how quickly a person can accurately bump fire my Mauser. That god damned bolt is so easy to cycle with one finger.
Pistol caliber carbines is what I meant and you know that because your Mauser hasn't fit the definition of "carbine" for a century.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't understand why the army spends so much money on firearms, can't we just get them all from Civil War museums all guns are the same right

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Wakko posted:

Instead one side sees guns as only for murdering kids and the other side sees them as magic totems of masculinity so lol we live in the worst of all worlds.

Actually it's "one side sees them as something to be more tightly regulated and the other side as magic totems" so congrats on being part of the problem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Pistol caliber carbines is what I meant and you know that because your Mauser hasn't fit the definition of "carbine" for a century.

...that really doesn't change anything, the argument you are presenting is a highly accurate and easily rapid-fire weapon even in semi-auto form is somehow "slightly less" dangerous than a bolt action or vintage carbine, and that claim isn't even remotely true.

Your argument is that older carbines are only slightly less dangerous than a purpose built, light weight, accurate, and easy to rapid fire weapon that was always originally decided even before civilian use as a DoD weapon?

And that's before we get to the fact that it really doesn't change the statistics.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Also I see the "I'm going to gun-nerd and make it about gun knowledge to derail the conversation" crew getting warmed up.

Don't fall into that trap.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wakko posted:

If both sides of gunchat could come together in good faith and acknowledge

2) doing everything possible to keep arms out of the hands of people likely to use them for mass shootings is a social good

there are a raft of legislative options and incentives that could radically reduce gun violence in america. Instead one side sees guns as only for murdering kids and the other side sees them as magic totems of masculinity so lol we live in the worst of all worlds.

FYI (2) is what gun control advocates actually believe, "one side sees guns as only for murdering kids" is the strawman the NRA invents so they don't have to address (2)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

...that really doesn't change anything, the argument you are presenting is a highly accurate and easily rapid-fire weapon even in semi-auto form is somehow "slightly less" dangerous than a bolt action or vintage carbine,.
No, it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Why does anyone think it's even remotely interesting to rank guns on a qualitative scale of "dangerous"? Like even if we had access to an objective measure of dangerous such that it would even be possible to conclude that argument, the next argument would just shift to where on the scale we should apply what restrictions. Winning a concession that gun X is indeed more than "slightly less dangerous" than gun Y achieves no reasonable goals.

• Locked thread