Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

twodot posted:

Why does anyone think it's even remotely interesting to rank guns on a qualitative scale of "dangerous"? Like even if we had access to an objective measure of dangerous such that it would even be possible to conclude that argument, the next argument would just shift to where on the scale we should apply what restrictions. Winning a concession that gun X is indeed more than "slightly less dangerous" than gun Y achieves no reasonable goals.

Because then we're talking about if the deputy was justified in going into the building or not and not the NRA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

Why does anyone think it's even remotely interesting to rank guns on a qualitative scale of "dangerous"? Like even if we had access to an objective measure of dangerous such that it would even be possible to conclude that argument, the next argument would just shift to where on the scale we should apply what restrictions. Winning a concession that gun X is indeed more than "slightly less dangerous" than gun Y achieves no reasonable goals.

Hm yea good point, if BB guns are legal machine guns should be too, they're all the same

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RuanGacho posted:

Because then we're talking about if the deputy was justified in going into the building or not and not the NRA.
Cops are so brave when there's 5 of them clubbing an unarmed black man though. I just don't understand!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

All things should have the exact same restrictions applied to them at all times because when you think about it, all matter is nothing but the same fundamental particles in different configurations with no objective definitions for anything really

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Cops are so brave when there's 5 of them clubbing an unarmed black man though. I just don't understand!

There's no difference in effectiveness between 5 racist cops and 1 racist cop.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Hm yea good point, if BB guns are legal machine guns should be too, they're all the same

Amazon last year sold a bunch of airsoft full auto sears. Eventually somebody found out that the full auto sear was an identical replacement of the Glock 18's. As in purchasing it would be considered constructive possession and you'd get hit with a lot of NFA violation charges.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 26, 2018

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

RuanGacho posted:

No, then we're having a dumb discussion about whether a fire rate of 2 per minute versus 1 per second or whatever merits the modifier "slightly" or not. People want restrictions based on capabilities, it completely irrelevant to the conversation if one person thinks a certain capability is "very dangerous" and another person thinks it's merely "dangerous".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is there really any difference between a musket with a fire rate of 15 minutes versus an M60 machine gun, gosh I just can't figure it out

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Let's just take this argument to its logical conclusion and repeal laws against murder because a corpse has the same chemical composition as a living human so is anything really lost when you shoot someone.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wakko posted:

If both sides of gunchat could come together in good faith and acknowledge

1) having an armed populace serves a social good
But I can't acknowledge that because I don't actually think it is true? I mean, sure, in a fantasy it's fun to think of an armed uprising to overthrow capitalism but what would actually happen is the state is so much better armed than it'd ever be possible to overthrow it in that manner. It's not 1776 anymore. They have tanks and planes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Let's just take this argument to its logical conclusion and repeal laws.
This but drugs.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

forkboy84 posted:

But I can't acknowledge that because I don't actually think it is true? I mean, sure, in a fantasy it's fun to think of an armed uprising to overthrow capitalism but what would actually happen is the state is so much better armed than it'd ever be possible to overthrow it in that manner. It's not 1776 anymore. They have tanks and planes.

The People's Freedom Militia has taken the social security caves commander!

Excellent, tell them to stop processing their 10 month queue at once!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I have watched V for Vendetta 862 times, and I can assure you that if you do some neato gun tricks and release a viral video, the government will just give up and go home without a fight.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

I have watched V for Vendetta 862 times, and I can assure you that if you do some neato gun tricks and release a viral video, the government will just give up and go home without a fight.
This but you just invite a bunch of rednecks to hang out under a tarp until the police just go home and nobody goes to jail.

You don't even need the video.

***Only works when White.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Wakko posted:

If both sides of gunchat could come together in good faith and acknowledge

1) having an armed populace serves a social good

What social good is this? If everyone was armed i wouldn't feel safer. We would all be an upset person away from a gun going off in this instance.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This but you just invite a bunch of rednecks to hang out under a tarp until the police just go home and nobody goes to jail.

You don't even need the video.

***Only works when White.

That didn't happen, one of them got shot and the rest surrendered to law enforcement without a fight or were quietly picked up later and they were all charged with crimes.

They got off because of jury nullification, but in an actual civil war the government wouldn't bother with that, they'd suspend habeas corpus.

E: Like most dumb right-wing poo poo, civil war fantasies seem to have a strong correlation with not understanding how things work outside the movies.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jaxyon posted:

Few, if any people think that AR's are scary, it's just a way of infantilizing proponents of gun control.

There's always a bunch of people who only go crazy about "That thing with the bump stocks!" and replace with whatever other gadget strapped on that time, there's legit a bunch of people scared of ARs more than anything else because it looks like something a generic actionman would carry, who only care about the issue as far as "Getting rid of that thing that did the crimes" and not actually working on gun violence as a whole. My post was talking about those kinds of people in the first bit.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

An "actual civil war" lol

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Has anyone who is not obviously and ridiculously biased even attempted to do a study on the effects of gun ownership and gun control on violence? My takeaway from every single discussion about guns is that no one has any idea what they are talking about but still can't stop flinging poo.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mercrom posted:

Has anyone who is not obviously and ridiculously biased even attempted to do a study on the effects of gun ownership and gun control on violence? My takeaway from every single discussion about guns is that no one has any idea what they are talking about but still can't stop flinging poo.
Restrictions on gun, and especially handgun, ownership dramatically reduce suicides and gun crime. Don't think anyone here disputes either of those facts.

Also welcome to the internet, where no argument ever ends and the Earth might be flat.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mercrom posted:

For some reason theres no good data :thunk:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Your right, shooters just choose it because its so popular versus any actual combat specifics that make it an appealing combat weapon. That's why the DoD chose the M4 obviously, they just wanted to fit in with the crowd.

CommieGIR posted:

Uh, no. Not at all. And you know better, since there is no significant evidence to the contrary outside of questionable research groups and Conservative think tanks with NRA links:

LOL, you complain about questionable research then post that nonsense, which still uses the "GUN DEATHS" slight-of-hand to lump in suicides. Here's what that data actually looks like if you're honest and use gun laws vs overall homicide rate instead of firearm homicides plus accidents plus suicides to puff up your numbers:

There isn't any correlation between homicide rate and strict gun laws. This is the fundamental dishonesty of your argument: you fixate on gun homicides plus suicides in hope of fooling people who aren't paying attention into thinking that access to firearms drives violent crime.

Jethro posted:

Violent Crime

from WaPo
So it looks like if there's enough population density to "support" violent crime, then guns sure as hell seem to drive a higher rate of it.
And what precisely are you basing that conclusion on? San Francisco County and Baltimore are dark red, with higher per capita crime than the counties home to Seattle or Denver or Portland, which have more permissive gun laws. All that chart shows is that violent crime is correlated with density and poverty.

Jethro posted:

Gun homicides only

from /dataisbeautiful
So, strict gun laws reduce gun deaths in general, but (in places like DC and Chicago) people will take advantage of weak gun laws in neighboring states when they want to have guns for killing.
Again, this chart does not support the conclusion you claim it does. Honestly, I'm not even sure your claim is falsifiable: "strict gun laws reduce violence, except in all the places they don't, where it is the fault of neighboring states not having strict enough gun laws." It also does nothing to address the question of why one is more likely to be murdered in California than Idaho, or why New York with its strict gun laws has a higher homicide rate than neighboring Vermont, where one can buy a handgun and concealed carry it the same day without a permit. The proposition that the 2nd least populous state in the union is somehow supplying all the guns for New York's criminals seems somewhat suspect.

CommieGIR posted:

At this point: We know it works in pretty much any form. Its kinda like people who decry Chicago gun regs as a "failure" while ignoring they largely fail because Indiana next door has very lax gun regs and there is no state border enforcement over importing firearms.
You claim you were in the military, so you really ought to know better. The five dimensions of every piece of military equipment are length, width, height, money, and politics. Systems and equipment aren't adopted because they are the "best," but due to complex competing interests in cost, weight, who makes it, interoperability, and sometimes effectiveness. Looking at, I don't know, literally any major procurement program in the last two decades would confirm this. McNamara didn't force the adoption of the M-16 over the objections of the Army because he looked at it and said, "THIS IS BEST FOR KILLING UNARMED PEOPLE WHO AREN'T EXPECTING IT, MAKE IT HAPPEN."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Pistol caliber carbines is what I meant and you know that because your Mauser hasn't fit the definition of "carbine" for a century.

Ban all semiautomatic rifles and pistols, the only guns you should be allowed to own are manually-reloaded rifles, shotguns and revolvers

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
And when some dirtbag commits a spree shooting with a pump action and a revolver, will you say, "we've done enough, we don't need more restrictions?"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

And when some dirtbag commits a spree shooting with a pump action and a revolver, will you say, "we've done enough, we don't need more restrictions?"

Depends on if the laws have been effective or not.

The litmus test would probably be if you still have one or not.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Ban all semiautomatic rifles and pistols, the only guns you should be allowed to own are manually-reloaded rifles, shotguns and revolvers
Should probably ban revolvers too in this case. They make up a very significant percentage of crime guns. More than all long arms combined.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

forkboy84 posted:

It doesn't need to be affirmed as perfect and unyielding truth, it just needs to be acknowledged as the limits to an otherwise maximalist political strategy. Acknowledge a right to individual and collective self-defense and there's room for broad agreement on limiting access to guns for those who are at high-risk of using them in a way that's dangerous to society.

We can talk around in circles about statistics re: defensive gun use, crime rates, modern military strategy, etc, but at the end of day it doesn't matter. Here's two things that are observable in 20th century history:

1) The cosmopolitan, democratic governments that my family lived under in Europe had a bad decade and decided to round them up and murder them.
2) Despite having overwhelming military strength, the united states lost just about every war it decided to fight against an insurgency and is currently still in the process of losing on multiple fronts.

You will not convince me in a period of enormous economic instability, as the far-right gains strength throughout the western world and in my own country is engaged in campaigns of assassination against people like me, that the correct thing to do is to disarm the civilian population. Fortunately, you don't have to. Merely acknowledge that you are willing to place some practical limits in the pursuit of gun control, and we can get on with the business of raising age requirements for rifle sales, modernizing the background check system and requiring it for all gun sales, adding those convicted of domestic abuse or animal cruelty to the prohibited purchasers list, and providing training and incentives for safe storage.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Restrictions on gun, and especially handgun, ownership dramatically reduce suicides and gun crime. Don't think anyone here disputes either of those facts.

Also welcome to the internet, where no argument ever ends and the Earth might be flat.
Yes the fact that guns increase the rates of suicides a bit seems established. Also yes, I don't doubt there is a statistical correlation between the prevalence in guns in society and a prevalence in guns in any situation. That's not really enough for me to take this seriously as a political issue, much less a political issue that somehow seems to trump health care and global warming in America.

Also yeah I know I just wish D&D had a slightly higher level of discourse than GBS.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mercrom posted:

Yes the fact that guns increase the rates of suicides a bit seems established. Also yes, I don't doubt there is a statistical correlation between the prevalence in guns in society and a prevalence in guns in any situation. That's not really enough for me to take this seriously as a political issue, much less a political issue that somehow seems to trump health care and global warming in America.

Also yeah I know I just wish D&D had a slightly higher level of discourse than GBS.

Why is there no good gun statistics?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The FBI and CDC collect statistics on firearm crimes and firearm deaths. What data do you think is missing? If your question is, "why aren't there statistics that support my argument", well... maybe it's time to re-think your assumptions.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I take issue with this. South Korea basically doesn't have private firearms ownership, and has a suicide rate almost twice that of the United States. Japan, with its strict gun laws, still has a higher suicide rate than the US. Playing whack-a-mole with methods isn't a rational way to address suicides, because method selection is cultural.

I also see why "gun crime" is a thing people should care about instead of overall crime, unless being killed with a gun is somehow worse than being beat or stabbed to death.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 26, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

icantfindaname posted:

Then you have to ba semi auto shotguns as well.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Would you say that France's firearm laws are insufficient, since they had two major spree shootings in 2015?

Are you willing to apply this "if there is even one occurrence, more restriction is necessary" rule to restricting any other social harm?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mercrom posted:

TFR has a very strictly moderated thread on this subject that may be more up your alley than this one.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well let me answer your question with a question: what new gun bans did Norway pass after Anders Breivik's attack?

Dead Reckoning posted:

The FBI and CDC collect statistics on firearm crimes and firearm deaths. If your question is, "why aren't there statistics that support my argument", well... maybe it's time to re-think your assumptions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickey_Amendment_(1996)

We made it impossible to collect statistics that might support arguments we don't like.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Well let me answer your question with a question: what new gun bans did Norway pass after Anders Breivik's attack?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickey_Amendment_(1996)

We made it impossible to collect statistics that might support arguments we don't like.
That isn't relevant to my question. Unless one of you is a Norwegian gun control advocate. I want to know which pro-control goons advocating for restricting or eliminating ownership of self-loading firearms would consider the allegedly less deadly spree shootings that would occur if shooters only had access to manually cycled firearms to be acceptable and not grounds for further restriction of firearms ownership.

The Dickey amendment bans advocacy. It isn't even the only anti-lobbying restriction on CDC funding: CDC guidelines prohibit advocating for regulating or banning any consumer product. So a researcher can publish a paper stating that there is a significant link between, say, smoking and heart disease, but can't publish a paper calling for greater restriction of tobacco sales. If you don't want to engage in advocacy and just want to do basic research, that seems like a big ole loophole, like the ones gun owners are apparently adept at finding. Congress hasn't appropriated any money earmarked for studying gun violence, because the CDC has previously given that money to researchers who engaged in poor research for the purposes of advocacy. And again, I would ask, what data specifically do you feel is missing that would enhance this conversation?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Dead Reckoning posted:

I want to know which pro-control goons advocating for restricting or eliminating ownership of self-loading firearms would consider the allegedly less deadly spree shootings that would occur if shooters only had access to manually cycled firearms to be acceptable and not grounds for further restriction of firearms ownership.

Is getting shot by a pistol more, or less, painful than reading this sentence?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

Why is there no good gun statistics?

The GOP.

(revolvers dropped off the crime statistics at an absurd rate after the mid-90s thanks to higher quality semi-autos being available for less)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Which statistics do you think we are missing?

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Is getting shot by a pistol more, or less, painful than reading this sentence?
When you think about it, good sentence structure is the ethical shot selection of conversation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

That isn't relevant to my question. Unless one of you is a Norwegian gun control advocate. I want to know which pro-control goons advocating for restricting or eliminating ownership of self-loading firearms would consider the allegedly less deadly spree shootings that would occur if shooters only had access to manually cycled firearms to be acceptable and not grounds for further restriction of firearms ownership.
Seems that's your answer, once everything reasonable has been done to curb gun violence, the occasional rare spree killing isn't grounds for calling for unreasonable laws.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Dickey amendment bans advocacy. It isn't even the only anti-lobbying restriction on CDC funding: CDC guidelines prohibit advocating for regulating or banning any consumer product. So a researcher can publish a paper stating that there is a significant link between, say, smoking and heart disease, but can't publish a paper calling for greater restriction of tobacco sales. If you don't want to engage in advocacy and just want to do basic research, that seems like a big ole loophole, like the ones gun owners are apparently adept at finding. Congress hasn't appropriated any money earmarked for studying gun violence, because the CDC has previously given that money to researchers who engaged in poor research for the purposes of advocacy. And again, I would ask, what data specifically do you feel is missing that would enhance this conversation?
The CDC was already banned from advocacy by federal law, so nope, the Dickey Amendment was not intended to do that.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that CDC research into gun violence dropped 96% after congress started cutting their budget by the exact amount the CDC tries to spend on research into gun violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

The Cumbria shooting was pretty bad with just a break open shotgun and a bolt action 22.

• Locked thread