Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the NASL coming back?
This poll is closed.
Yes 2 9.09%
No 16 72.73%
No, but NISA lives 4 18.18%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

"Founded in 2000, the team compete in the Premier Arena Soccer League indoor soccer league. The Lions also play in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL), a national outdoor league at the fourth tier of the American Soccer Pyramid."

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Like if one of those goofy-rear end arena football teams also decided to play in the like, the XFL reboot.

I don't know if they have separate squads or what, but they're worse than they were last year by a mile. It sucks when points per game (???) is the deciding factor with so few regular season games to play, since it just guarantees everyone else is going to collect their 6 points. Makes those matches borderline meaningless.

In other news, FC Columbus called the cops on their own supporters tonight, as the FO's inability or unwillingness to communicate led to four cops being called to arrest a couple people for disorderly conduct 'cause of their language. Visitng SG almost had a run-in with the law, as well, as they inexplicably did get a warning that megaphones weren't allowed, but only once they were in the stadium using them. Doesn't seem like there were any ground rules or guidelines laid out for either side. Just NPSL things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
is cussing illegal in columbus

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

awyeahz posted:

it's banned in all American soccer actually, don't want to scare the moms and kids

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Today was loving dope and I can't believe it happened in my small little city....

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

awyeahz posted:

Kinda, if the cops want it to be. Ohio’s disorderly conduct law is broad enough that they could arrest you for cursing.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

a quick update on STLFC:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
FC Indiana keeper sent off for handling the ball outside the box. Substitute keeper nearly immediately gives up two goals before the half against DCFC.

Second half going to be worse than last week? >11-0?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TraderStav posted:

FC Indiana keeper sent off for handling the ball outside the box. Substitute keeper nearly immediately gives up two goals before the half against DCFC.

Second half going to be worse than last week? >11-0?

FC Indiana is absolutely terrible, it’s almost sad how inept they look so far. I’d be shocked if possession wasn’t 80/20.
City didn’t drop 11+ on them this time, but I’ll certainly take 8-0. Their GD is now -39, I believe, and they’ve yet to score a goal. I’m not sure what’d drive me to keep showing up, honestly. It’s not even a “keeps things close but just can’t close out” situation, they’re getting consistently blown out. The 2008 Detroit Lions are a better team.
In other NPSL news, Ann Arbor beat Grand Rapids 2-0, which should shuffle DCFC up to second and GRFC down to third in the Great Lakes standings.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

FC Indiana is absolutely terrible, it’s almost sad how inept they look so far. I’d be shocked if possession wasn’t 80/20.
City didn’t drop 11+ on them this time, but I’ll certainly take 8-0. Their GD is now -39, I believe, and they’ve yet to score a goal. I’m not sure what’d drive me to keep showing up, honestly. It’s not even a “keeps things close but just can’t close out” situation, they’re getting consistently blown out. The 2008 Detroit Lions are a better team.
In other NPSL news, Ann Arbor beat Grand Rapids 2-0, which should shuffle DCFC up to second and GRFC down to third in the Great Lakes standings.

Yup. Which makes a draw at Columbus this Friday and win next Sunday home against A2 what they need at a minimum to take the top spot.

Gonna move heaven and earth to go to Sunday's match. That'll be a good one.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
congratulations to freddy adu who scored his first professional goal in over six years tonight

https://twitter.com/lvlightsfc/status/1003131741744214017

e. on his "29th" birthday no less

awyeahz fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 3, 2018

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I was shocked the lights finally won a league game for the first time since March. The new signings played really well and the whole team felt better. Hopefully this trend continues.

Also had the joy of watching one of the Vegas defenders get headbutted and popped up off the ground with a nice 3-4 inch long bleeding cut. Looked pretty :ohdear: from my seats.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The USL is expanding to Albuquerque, New Mexico. So there's that.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

The USL is expanding to Albuquerque, New Mexico. So there's that.

There's already a minor league baseball team named the Albuquerque Isotopes.

I guess we must brace ourselves for something along the lines of Albuquerque FC.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rumors are swirling that Ottawa may flip to the CanPL to be their eighth club. The thought-to-be-dead FC Edmonton, formerly of the NASL, will also be a part of the CanPL.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Rumors are swirling that Ottawa may flip to the CanPL to be their eighth club. The thought-to-be-dead FC Edmonton, formerly of the NASL, will also be a part of the CanPL.
IIRC that's been generally assumed for a couple of months now.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Interesting, I hope they can manage to stick around for a few years at least.

I went down to Columbus for the Detroit City FC vs Columbus FC match. It’s the most frustrated I’ve been after a match in a long, long time. DCFC is so, so close to being unstoppable but they just can’t seem to get their offense going. The pieces are there, but they can’t string them together.
Sunday’s matchup against Ann Arbor is critically important for their playoff chances; win, and they still control their destiny.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Interesting, I hope they can manage to stick around for a few years at least.

I went down to Columbus for the Detroit City FC vs Columbus FC match. It’s the most frustrated I’ve been after a match in a long, long time. DCFC is so, so close to being unstoppable but they just can’t seem to get their offense going. The pieces are there, but they can’t string them together.
Sunday’s matchup against Ann Arbor is critically important for their playoff chances; win, and they still control their destiny.

Taking the family down today to the game. Site says Veterans park opens at 4. With a 5 start I would imagine it'd open earlier, have you been to any 5 starts to know?

Planning to get there at 3 to have a few pregame pops and let the kids run around. Would have loved to grill but no tailgating.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Taking the family down today to the game. Site says Veterans park opens at 4. With a 5 start I would imagine it'd open earlier, have you been to any 5 starts to know?

Planning to get there at 3 to have a few pregame pops and let the kids run around. Would have loved to grill but no tailgating.

Come to Fowling Warehouse! Since a bunch of us folks don’t like Fowling itself, we’ve started doing a cookout in the street next to it.
Everyone is super friendly and it’s kid-friendly as long as you don’t mind them probably overhearing swearing in conversations. There’ll be food and drinks, though you’re obviously welcome to bring your own. If you come, look for a dude in a NIN hat, black jeans, and a black team zip up, say hey. Or just say hi to anyone, really.

Re: Veteran’s, my guess is that they won’t open til 4 because of the earlier start; I think that’s the same time the stadium gates open today, too. I’m not positive, though, I don’t often end up at the stadium before the march.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Come to Fowling Warehouse! Since a bunch of us folks don’t like Fowling itself, we’ve started doing a cookout in the street next to it.
Everyone is super friendly and it’s kid-friendly as long as you don’t mind them probably overhearing swearing in conversations. There’ll be food and drinks, though you’re obviously welcome to bring your own. If you come, look for a dude in a NIN hat, black jeans, and a black team zip up, say hey. Or just say hi to anyone, really.

Re: Veteran’s, my guess is that they won’t open til 4 because of the earlier start; I think that’s the same time the stadium gates open today, too. I’m not positive, though, I don’t often end up at the stadium before the march.

Is there a place to park over that way? We may head over that way! I'm more concerned with making sure I get some food in four kids (two families, I am not a Mormon) as they will lose their poo poo.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Is there a place to park over that way? We may head over that way! I'm more concerned with making sure I get some food in four kids (two families, I am not a Mormon) as they will lose their poo poo.

Yeah, street and Fowling parking lot, typically isn’t too hard to find a spot. They’re gonna have mostaccioli and some sides for food on the street, and there’s a brat cart at Fowling itself. Amici’s Pizza is also nearby if that suits kids better.

Seriously looking forward to this match. Should be a good crowd, people typically turn out for Ann Arbor matches.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

LV Lights coach "technical director" Chelis has been suspended by the league, again:

quote:

"there was an incident with a fan who yelled a profanity, to which Chelís inappropriately responded by placing his hand on the individual while asking the fan to repeat what he said," team spokesman Ryan Greene said in a statement. "Both the club and Chelis regret the incident."

12 games played, the team is in 13th with 3W/4D/5L, and he's been suspended for a third of the season up to this point. Maybe it's time for a change?

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
rowdies loaned out jack blake to real monarchists for the duration of the season. rumor has it this is to make room for kwadwo poku, who has become disenchanted with the glamour and glitz of anzhi makhachkala

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

awyeahz posted:

rowdies loaned out jack blake to real monarchists for the duration of the season. rumor has it this is to make room for kwadwo poku, who has become disenchanted with the glamour and glitz of anzhi makhachkala
It's still a weird loan considering Marcel Schafer just left to take over the Director of Football job for Wolfsburg.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vegas beat Seattle 4-1, too bad they probably won’t keep up the same look and pace for their two away games.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vegas had the chance to steal a point on the road versus Kansas City, via a PK, then this happened:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/las-vegas-lights-try-last-minute-penalty-routine-which-goes-horribly-wrong

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bentai posted:

Vegas had the chance to steal a point on the road versus Kansas City, via a PK, then this happened:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/las-vegas-lights-try-last-minute-penalty-routine-which-goes-horribly-wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MYAGyZlBY0

e: Also, Charlotte/Cincinnati is going to air on ESPN2 on July 18.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 25, 2018

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
This Vegas team is a gift of joy and I’m so glad they’re in the league

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

https://www.louisvillecityfc.com/news_article/show/930764

Thanks for four three and a half great seasons, coach!

:(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My oldest gets to walk DCFC onto the field on Sunday. :3:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LOL, I went to HS with Josh.

This game is getting really chippy.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Roughnecks coach was fired and replaced by a local guy named Michael Nsien, and they immediately broke their losing streak. Probably too early to say that it was because of him, but it certainly seems like his appointment has energized the team. Hopefully he sticks around.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's always neat to see USL stadiums on TV. They've got small-town charm.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
USL is good, I hope they don't give in to MLS and become a stupid boring farm league

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

camoseven posted:

USL is good, I hope they don't give in to MLS and become a stupid boring farm league

When the third tier league starts up next season, they'd better put all the reserve squads in it. RBNY II winning the league with triple-digit attendance is laughable.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

It's always neat to see USL stadiums on TV. They've got small-town charm.

Not Indy Eleven, since they play at the Colt’s stadium

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~

santanotreal posted:

Not Indy Eleven, since they play at the Colts' stadium

at the last two indy eleven home games they kept the roof open while it was 95 degrees outside and they had to take water breaks in an indoor stadium

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

awyeahz posted:

at the last two indy eleven home games they kept the roof open while it was 95 degrees outside and they had to take water breaks in an indoor stadium

Yeah I was there for those. It was painful, but I guess it wouldn’t be much different from playing outside.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
D.C. United is going to have a reserve squad, Loudoun United, next year. Also, the Austin USL team will have various things unveiled on August 3rd.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/RJ_Sports/status/1020409259530637315

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3570318/usain-bolt-a-target-for-us-second-tier-las-vegas-lights-fc

quote:

Bolt has been linked with teams in Australia, Turkey, Hungary and the U.S., though a source from MLS said the league had "no interest" in signing the legendary Olympic sprinter.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-soccer-leagues/story/3571050/las-vegas-lights-boss-would-use-usain-bolt-as-a-winger-if-club-signed-him

quote:

"Chelis" was adamant that the club's interest in Bolt wasn't a joke, while Lights owner and CEO Brett Lashbrook told ESPN FC's Jeff Carlisle his team were "interested" in the eight-time Olympic gold medal winner.

The Lights are playing in their first USL season and are in 13th place out of 17 teams in the league's Western Conference.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this, other than with a defeated sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I dunno man, it’s pretty clear what the Lights owners wanna do, and it’s not “build a good soccer team”. I’m glad they’re not my hometown team, but they are very, very entertaining as a neutral