Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the NASL coming back?
This poll is closed.
Yes 2 9.09%
No 16 72.73%
No, but NISA lives 4 18.18%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

Crazy Ted posted:

Okay there's obviously something I'm missing here since I'm not up to speed on Austin Texas tweeter drama.

Wait this is about Pepe the Frog? This is too perfect.

Then 2 days later they got caught using slurs against a transgendered candidate who is currently running for city council and doubled down on the fact that it didn't happen. They're a true train wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhg6Du3NEPc

Also, the USL Cup is tonight before Seattle/Portland kicks off!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I didn't recognize Drogba without hair until the camera just did a closeup on him

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:smugdog:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The NPSL has announced their pro league, the Founders Cup. If you're wondering what happened to the New York Cosmos, here's your answer!

e: The Founders Cup is a bridge league, leading to a full-time pro league starting in 2020.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 16, 2018

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

The NPSL has announced their pro league, the Founders Cup. If you're wondering what happened to the New York Cosmos, here's your answer!

e: The Founders Cup is a bridge league, leading to a full-time pro league starting in 2020.
I am absolutely baffled that Milwaukee thinks they can afford this, unless the owner is just willing to throw all of his personal money at his team. A bunch of us from Detroit took a charter bus out there in 2017 and we outnumbered Milwaukee attendees ~2:1. The bar we were at literally across the street from the field had no idea there was even a soccer team.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

sleepwalkers posted:

I am absolutely baffled that Milwaukee thinks they can afford this, unless the owner is just willing to throw all of his personal money at his team. A bunch of us from Detroit took a charter bus out there in 2017 and we outnumbered Milwaukee attendees ~2:1. The bar we were at literally across the street from the field had no idea there was even a soccer team.

So does this mean that DCFC will not be playing in the NPSL any longer and only this one in the Fall? I liked my Summer soccer club.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TraderStav posted:

So does this mean that DCFC will not be playing in the NPSL any longer and only this one in the Fall? I liked my Summer soccer club.

If I’m reading the press release correctly, this fall thing is only for 2019, and a full spring to fall league will launch in 2020.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TraderStav posted:

I think people are operating under the assumption that they will field a regular NPSL squad still this year, followed by the Founders Cup after? I haven't seen it confirmed, but that's the hope.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Presented without comment:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Okay this team kinda owns:

https://twitter.com/forwardmsnfc/status/1064239316468187136?s=21

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
RIP Leon

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Championship now recognizes the USLPA. No word on League One.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
american soccer imitating the epl once again

Wayne Estopinal, Louisville City FC founder, among passengers killed in plane crash

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
holy poo poo, I’ve been seeing pictures of the crash site. the plane looks like it just vaporized, like no large wreckage

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Aww jeez. :( Sorry paddyboat.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

paddyboat posted:

holy poo poo, I’ve been seeing pictures of the crash site. the plane looks like it just vaporized, like no large wreckage

According to the first responders it disintegrated in the air six minutes after take-off.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The League One team in Dallas will reveal stuff on Thursday.

edit: North Texas SC, or NTSC for short.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 6, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doublepost, but it looks like an equivalency to the EFL Cup is coming.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Triplepost, but Ottawa claims that CONCACAF is forcing them to join the CPL, or something.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I think that the confed president, who used to run the CSA and is rather invested in the CPL succeeding, is trying some power move here. Not sure it's a good look, because the obvious question is "when are you going after the other Canadian teams in US leagues, then?" and neither answer is actually good.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
st louis fc has switched conferences for the 4th consecutive season! to the east this time!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

awyeahz posted:

st louis fc has switched conferences for the 4th consecutive season! to the east this time!

honestly it's for the best, because as their release said they now have five opponents (Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, SPR, and Indy Eleven) within a manageable drive

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

awyeahz posted:

Awesome! Can’t wait to watch them play Indy Eleven. I was sad they never played each other last season.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/ThatDamnYank/status/1075502495693062144

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Thought this might be news but reading closer not really:

quote:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3742131/new-york-court-dismisses-nasl-lawsuit-against-15-ussf-members

New York court dismisses NASL lawsuit against 15 USSF members

The Supreme Court of the State of New York has dismissed a lawsuit filed by the North American Soccer League (NASL) against 15 board members of the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF).

The court ruled that the presence of a similar federal antitrust lawsuit filed by the NASL against the USSF and MLS made the New York case redundant, and since the federal suit was filed first, that is where the litigation will take place.

ESPN FC obtained a copy of the decision by Judge Andrea Masley, which in part read: "The complaint is dismissed on the ground that another action is pending between the parties." Judge Masley added that dismissal is warranted when there is a substantial identity of the parties, the two actions are sufficiently similar, and the relief sought is substantially the same.

Judge Masley wrote: "Here, defendants have established that this action should be dismissed in favor of the pending federal action."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
In Real News, Chicago's USL club looks to be dead in the water after the Lincoln Yards Stadium concept had its backing pulled by Sterling Bay.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://mobile.twitter.com/AgainstJackie/status/1089903302790266887

Chattanooga’s gonna get messy!

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/28/inter-miami-presents-proposal-revitalize-historic-lockhart-stadium-site

Miami, FL (Monday, January 28, 2019)- Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami “Inter Miami”, announced today that it has presented a proposal to the City of Fort Lauderdale for the design, construction and maintenance of a state-of the-art soccer training facility, a multi-purpose sport stadium and a sport centric community destination in the former Lockhart Stadium site.

“The vast history of soccer in South Florida has deep roots in Fort Lauderdale dating back to the original Strikers of the 70’s and 80’s, the Miami Fusion of the 90’s and early 2000’s as well as the recent clubs that have called Lockhart Stadium their home,” said Paul McDonough, Inter Miami’s Sporting Director. “It is a privilege to be able to present a sustainable proposal that honors that history and revitalizes the area. Our training facility will serve all of South Florida’s soccer community and provide amateur and professional athletes the opportunity to achieve their goals both on and off the field.”

The training facilities will serve as the training grounds for Inter Miami’s MLS team and will serve as the home to both its youth academy and anticipated USL team. The training site will feature several regulation soccer fields and a training complex with state-of-the-art amenities.

So looks like we are getting another USL team in Ft. Lauderdale.

Bring back the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers!

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?

Chattanooga's already messy tbh

edit: well I mean literally also I guess, I forgot about this https://twitter.com/chattamessi
for context, the Red Wolves social media team decided to use a Generic Soccer Image in one of their tweets to promote ticket sales and it was a photo of literally messi with Red Wolves logo photoshopped onto his kit, embarrassing. the CFC supporter twitter machine couldn't resist.
edit 2: dug it up
https://twitter.com/TheSoccerGoose/status/1068237435866398721

Angstronaut fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 31, 2019

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Surprise rebrand! Seattle S2 is now the Tacoma Defiance. Logo is a ship being attacked by tentacles.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Angstronaut posted:

Chattanooga's already messy tbh

edit: well I mean literally also I guess, I forgot about this https://twitter.com/chattamessi
for context, the Red Wolves social media team decided to use a Generic Soccer Image in one of their tweets to promote ticket sales and it was a photo of literally messi with Red Wolves logo photoshopped onto his kit, embarrassing. the CFC supporter twitter machine couldn't resist.
edit 2: dug it up
https://twitter.com/TheSoccerGoose/status/1068237435866398721
In more serious news, apparently one of the Chattanooga FC execs who defected to the new team was given about $135K in unauthorized payments - loans??? - over the last year he was in the CFC front office.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

Surprise rebrand! Seattle S2 is now the Tacoma Defiance. Logo is a ship being attacked by tentacles.

I need to see this logo, sounds f-n metal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TraderStav posted:

I need to see this logo, sounds f-n metal.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?

Crazy Ted posted:

In more serious news, apparently one of the Chattanooga FC execs who defected to the new team was given about $135K in unauthorized payments - loans??? - over the last year he was in the CFC front office.

Yyyyep. Not great. Have fun with that one, Red Wolves.
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/39850474/update-former-cfc-gm-responds-to-chattanooga-fc-financial-report

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hrmm... not sure how they were able to disappoint on this. I imagined it would have been a Galleon or something and from the side, not looking directly onto some kind of tanker. 4/10

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

It is by far the best ship and tentacle themed crest I have ever seen.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nostradingus posted:

Well, yeah you have a legitimate point there.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Nostradingus posted:

this needs to be the new thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vegas beat up Toronto FC by a score of 5-1 today. Pre-season, yeah, but it felt good.