Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the NASL coming back?
This poll is closed.
Yes 2 9.09%
No 16 72.73%
No, but NISA lives 4 18.18%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

King of False Promises posted:

I've actually been to a Villages game. They play on a polo ground. It's pretty sweet.
I love South Florida just for their stadiums for sports that you wouldn't think had a dedicated venue. That area also has the United States' only cricket stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

My local team (and only non-MLS team to win the US Open cup :smug: ) is taking a year off bc we have no money
More like the idiots who bought team acted shocked that minor league soccer didn't turn out to be a profit-making enterprise.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bentai posted:

Jesus. Vegas lost 2-7 to Galaxy 2.

I’m pretty sure this team hasn’t won a game in at least two months.
Galaxy 2's last five games:

4-3 loss at Phoenix
6-3 win v St. Louis
7-3 loss at Timbers 2 (allowed three goals in second half Stoppage Time)
1-1 draw at Rio Grande Valley
7-2 win v Las Vegas

:stare:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Rumors are swirling that Ottawa may flip to the CanPL to be their eighth club. The thought-to-be-dead FC Edmonton, formerly of the NASL, will also be a part of the CanPL.
IIRC that's been generally assumed for a couple of months now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

awyeahz posted:

rowdies loaned out jack blake to real monarchists for the duration of the season. rumor has it this is to make room for kwadwo poku, who has become disenchanted with the glamour and glitz of anzhi makhachkala
It's still a weird loan considering Marcel Schafer just left to take over the Director of Football job for Wolfsburg.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

The Tampa Bay Rays are buying the Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Announcement tomorrow morning.

Not sure this will have any bearing on their MLS bid, but MLS made it clear that Rowdies owner Bill Edwards wasn’t quite rich enough for MLS (and he has an outstanding legal case).

A MLB ownership group is more appealing to MLS expansion committee, for sure.
To be rather blunt I'm sure both USL and MLS would be happier without him anyway because Edwards, if you believe the lawsuits filed against him, made a bunch of his money doing poo poo that was unusually shady even by people-who-have-a-lot-of-money standards.

I've always found it hilariously ironic that he claimed his reason for leaving the NASL was perceived corruption.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

Las Vegas has hired Eric Wynalda as their new head coach.
Apparently they tried to get Landon Donovan before that, but he turned it down.
Wynalda's their new Manager and Director of Football. Basically he gets to control everything that gets put on the field.

:getin:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bentai posted:

During a local interview today he laid out that he wants a “young and fast” team. Which means a huge chunk of the inaugural squad is likely gone. Including Adu, I’d assume.
Honestly if he just jettisoned all of the Mexican D2 rejects in defense he'd be fine. Their midfield and attack wasn't a big issue after they signed those former Galaxy II players in the middle of the year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

The Saturday Morning Market move is an interesting one; bodes well for what the Rays have in mind for the Rowdies future in St. Pete.

Without Bill Edwards making decisions for him he'll have a chance to build an actual team that might start winning. Rowdies consistently underperformed in the Bill Edwards era considering how big their player salary budget was.
Well the team's last two managers were Stu Campbell, who had maybe a year of coaching experience before taking the job, and then Neill Collins, who basically went straight from playing to managing.

Maybe someone with a bit more experience would have achieved better results.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Enjoy MLS, Cincinnati, because you were knocked out of the playoffs by the Baby Bulls.
I'm pretty sure NYRB II is the bane of the entire Eastern Conference considering they pull this poo poo in the playoffs every year.

This is kind of making me wonder if John Wolyniec should get a look from an MLS team at a managing job if they don't go the foreign route next time there's an opening.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Now we’ve got calls to boycott the Bold. Oh God, what is happening
Are we talking actual, serious boycott calls or extremely-online hipster fans who would have never attended an Austin USL game proposing boycotts?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Okay there's obviously something I'm missing here since I'm not up to speed on Austin Texas tweeter drama.

Wait this is about Pepe the Frog? This is too perfect.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Dallas is putting a reserve club in League One next year.
In an ironic twist, they'll have the team play in a high school stadium right in Dallas.

Actually I have no idea

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

paddyboat posted:

I’ve just been informed that didier drogba plays for the phoenix rising fc, wtf
And he's still pretty much a consummate professional at the age of 40.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Presented without comment:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Okay this team kinda owns:

https://twitter.com/forwardmsnfc/status/1064239316468187136?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Angstronaut posted:

Chattanooga's already messy tbh

edit: well I mean literally also I guess, I forgot about this https://twitter.com/chattamessi
for context, the Red Wolves social media team decided to use a Generic Soccer Image in one of their tweets to promote ticket sales and it was a photo of literally messi with Red Wolves logo photoshopped onto his kit, embarrassing. the CFC supporter twitter machine couldn't resist.
edit 2: dug it up
https://twitter.com/TheSoccerGoose/status/1068237435866398721
In more serious news, apparently one of the Chattanooga FC execs who defected to the new team was given about $135K in unauthorized payments - loans??? - over the last year he was in the CFC front office.