Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the NASL coming back?
This poll is closed.
Yes 2 9.09%
No 16 72.73%
No, but NISA lives 4 18.18%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Picked up season tickets to the LV Lights, the pre-season games against MLS squads were rough, but the team seems to have gelled a bit better. The team needs to remind their goalies that they are not actually defenders, and that it's really not a good idea to pull straight red cards every game. Really hoping they sign Freddy Adu for the year and make him their long term project. He played 30 minutes in the game against DC United, and even through the rust he did quite well, assisting on a goal and coming inches from scoring an equalizer.

The game-day environment is kind of... weird and Vegas-y, and there's a lot of polish work that needs to be done. but it works. I feel like the town is responding really well, though the real test will come during the summertime games. At least the 8pm kickoffs will make the heat less of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vegas came back from a goal down to beat SPR off a set piece and an unlucky own goal. Crowd was a solid 7888.

Apparently because they scored two goals, fans get free pancakes tomorrow at Denny’s.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/lights-fc-soccer/lights-fc-partner-with-las-vegas-marijuana-dispensary/

quote:

The Lights FC hashtag #LightItUp just got a whole new meaning.

The Lights on Friday became the first professional sports team in the U.S. to have a marijuana dispensary as a sponsor, announcing a partnership with Nuwu Cannabis Marketplace.
This team just keeps getting more... Vegas. :D

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vegas finally lost on Friday, San Antonio beat them 3-1, and things came close to going sideways. At halftime someone threw a soda bottle at the referees as they walked off the field, and after the third goal was scored another soda bottle was hurled at the celebrating players. The game was halted for 10 minutes as security tried to eject the person responsible.

Oh and as usual Vegas got a straight red card and a bunch of yellows.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yes he is, and so far no he’s not. You can see he still has the skills and the vision, but it rarely clicks. They’ve stuck him as a forward for the last couple games and he’s getting muscled off the ball (he always has IIRC) and not getting any service, since the team sucks at possession and offense.

The coaching staff has faith though, and he has a fire in his belly again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Do over Ham posted:

I'm assuming those were plastic bottles being thrown? Surely they aren't crazy enough to sell sodas in glass bottles at the stadium. At Gillette they take the caps off when they sell you a plastic soda or water bottle, so you can't easily throw a full bottle at anyone; though I guess you could smuggle in your own plastic bottle caps if you were really determined to get banned for life from the stadium...

Yeah they were plastic bottles. Not sure about the bottle cap situation, I have to assume they were capped because I don't think an empty plastic bottle would have made it the 70-80 feet from the stands to the field without liquid inside. I have a feeling there's going to be new rules and more security at the next game because of this. The stadium management has already been on edge because of the rowdy nature of the crowds at these games, which is of course vastly different from the sedate fans that come out to watch baseball the rest of the time.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

LV Lights technical director Jose Luis Sanchez Sola ("Chelis") and coach Isidro Sanchez have been suspended by the USL after the game against Salt Lake last week. So far as I can see, neither the league nor the team is saying what the suspension is for. The Lights staff will not comment about anything until the final league decision comes down at some point this week.

Between that, two red cards over two games, and two other players one card away from a yellow accumulation suspension. I wasn't expecting to cheer for the Las Vegas Dumpster Fires this season.

*edit*
https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/992502613114605575
Chelis pokes a finger into the chest of the head referee, 7 games for “assault”.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 5, 2018

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The 7 game suspension for the Las Vegas Lights technical director has been reduced to 4 games. And the team lost on the road to Colorado. Next up, US open cup. Woo.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Salt Lake City drops two on Las Vegas in the first half, and nothing else of note happened for the rest of the game. One of the supporters groups stopped drumming and singing early in the second half, and some of them walked out with 20 to go.

Miserable night in Las Vegas.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Turns out security told the supporter groups to sit down and shut up. Even though the section they’re all in are specifically designated to allow fans to stand, wave flag, have musical instruments, etc.

Looks like the first big headbutt with team officials is on the way!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Jesus. Vegas lost 2-7 to Galaxy 2.

I’m pretty sure this team hasn’t won a game in at least two months.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I was shocked the lights finally won a league game for the first time since March. The new signings played really well and the whole team felt better. Hopefully this trend continues.

Also had the joy of watching one of the Vegas defenders get headbutted and popped up off the ground with a nice 3-4 inch long bleeding cut. Looked pretty :ohdear: from my seats.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

LV Lights coach "technical director" Chelis has been suspended by the league, again:

quote:

"there was an incident with a fan who yelled a profanity, to which Chelís inappropriately responded by placing his hand on the individual while asking the fan to repeat what he said," team spokesman Ryan Greene said in a statement. "Both the club and Chelis regret the incident."

12 games played, the team is in 13th with 3W/4D/5L, and he's been suspended for a third of the season up to this point. Maybe it's time for a change?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vegas beat Seattle 4-1, too bad they probably won’t keep up the same look and pace for their two away games.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vegas had the chance to steal a point on the road versus Kansas City, via a PK, then this happened:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/las-vegas-lights-try-last-minute-penalty-routine-which-goes-horribly-wrong

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/RJ_Sports/status/1020409259530637315

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3570318/usain-bolt-a-target-for-us-second-tier-las-vegas-lights-fc

quote:

Bolt has been linked with teams in Australia, Turkey, Hungary and the U.S., though a source from MLS said the league had "no interest" in signing the legendary Olympic sprinter.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-soccer-leagues/story/3571050/las-vegas-lights-boss-would-use-usain-bolt-as-a-winger-if-club-signed-him

quote:

"Chelis" was adamant that the club's interest in Bolt wasn't a joke, while Lights owner and CEO Brett Lashbrook told ESPN FC's Jeff Carlisle his team were "interested" in the eight-time Olympic gold medal winner.

The Lights are playing in their first USL season and are in 13th place out of 17 teams in the league's Western Conference.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this, other than with a defeated sigh.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah, it’s really becoming frustrating. I’m hoping next season is better, because if it’s more of the same side show BS I’m not sure I’ll stick around.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yup. It’s real. They offered season ticket holders a spot on the field if they renewed yesterday.

https://twitter.com/lvlightsfc/status/1038623005184684032

https://twitter.com/lvlightsfc/status/1038642472665010177

Bentai fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 9, 2018

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

They’re a marketing gimmick wrapped up in a mediocre team. But it’s my team. I guess.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It’s unconfirmed so far, but ESPN Deportes is saying Vegas has fired Chelis.

If true, it took goddamn long enough.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/lvlightsfc/status/1042086235060092934
It is done.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Final home game of the season for the Lights tonight, and they're offering unlimited beer for fans for $20. I assume at some point there's going to be a drunken brawl in the stands, which will undoubtedly be more exciting than watching the actual team play the game of Association Football.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Shockingly, Las Vegas finally won a game after like 3 or 4 months, defeating Phoenix 5-2. The stands erupted with so much jubilation, all that pent up frustration and everything from all those lost games. It was a nice way to end the season.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah the crest looks a LOT better with red:

You could make the text also be in red, but I think leaving it black makes it pop.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

During a local interview today he laid out that he wants a “young and fast” team. Which means a huge chunk of the inaugural squad is likely gone. Including Adu, I’d assume.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/ThatDamnYank/status/1075502495693062144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vegas beat up Toronto FC by a score of 5-1 today. Pre-season, yeah, but it felt good.