Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the NASL coming back?
This poll is closed.
Yes 2 9.09%
No 16 72.73%
No, but NISA lives 4 18.18%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

sleepwalkers posted:

Detroit City FC announced they'll be hosting St. Pauli FC in May this year, one of their two international friendlies (the other being Liga MX side Club Necaxa, a less well-known but still decent get):
https://twitter.com/DetroitCityFC/status/971445576234602496

Arguably bigger news for them is that it'll be broadcast on TV through Fox Sports Detroit, their first televised match ever. Bundesliga will also have German broadcast rights, though I don't know what the situation is over in Europe, not sure if it'll make proper TV. Considering the Detroit MLS bid is stalled at best and dead at worst, this is a good time for them to try to capitalize. It's a shame lower leagues are a bit of a mess at the moment, as DCFC (and probably their home-and-home opponent, Chattanooga FC) have outgrown the NPSL.

Very nice. Need to make sure I'm at that one. It's nearly season opener time already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Hey, the NPSL regular season is underway. Let's see what's been going on with it and its related teams:

2) As a (the?) resident unabashed Detroit City FC slappy, DCFC's friendly against FC St. Pauli drew ~7,300 and was an absolute blast.
https://twitter.com/jaimitoelcrack7/status/998013408384634881

You're not alone D-town brother.

Couldn't make the match but watched on FSD. Gonna miss the league opener tomorrow too. Oh well, don't regret the season pass regardless.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aggro posted:

Also a DCFC fan! Missed FC St. Pauli for a wedding.

I’ll be at the game tonight and most home games for the rest of the year.

Do you guys sit in the Home side or Visitor side? I'm a middle aged curmudgeon to prefer to sit where I can spectate on the craziness and not actually participate in it.

Soft start to the season so far, thankfully those were friendlies. Hope the club has gotten that out of their system and are ready to take the league season with charge.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aggro posted:

The supporter section is what makes the games worth watching. I don’t think I could sit and sip water while watching this team.

The loss to Ann Arbor was pretty devastating and immediately puts he team on its heels. AA could go undefeated, those fuckers.

It's worth watching the supporters section for the entertainment value while slugging down $2 Strohs cans.

I usually have my kids with me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pretty ugly first half for DCFC. Lucky to still be scoreless.

Except for that one save from Peña!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FC Indiana keeper sent off for handling the ball outside the box. Substitute keeper nearly immediately gives up two goals before the half against DCFC.

Second half going to be worse than last week? >11-0?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

FC Indiana is absolutely terrible, it’s almost sad how inept they look so far. I’d be shocked if possession wasn’t 80/20.
City didn’t drop 11+ on them this time, but I’ll certainly take 8-0. Their GD is now -39, I believe, and they’ve yet to score a goal. I’m not sure what’d drive me to keep showing up, honestly. It’s not even a “keeps things close but just can’t close out” situation, they’re getting consistently blown out. The 2008 Detroit Lions are a better team.
In other NPSL news, Ann Arbor beat Grand Rapids 2-0, which should shuffle DCFC up to second and GRFC down to third in the Great Lakes standings.

Yup. Which makes a draw at Columbus this Friday and win next Sunday home against A2 what they need at a minimum to take the top spot.

Gonna move heaven and earth to go to Sunday's match. That'll be a good one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Interesting, I hope they can manage to stick around for a few years at least.

I went down to Columbus for the Detroit City FC vs Columbus FC match. It’s the most frustrated I’ve been after a match in a long, long time. DCFC is so, so close to being unstoppable but they just can’t seem to get their offense going. The pieces are there, but they can’t string them together.
Sunday’s matchup against Ann Arbor is critically important for their playoff chances; win, and they still control their destiny.

Taking the family down today to the game. Site says Veterans park opens at 4. With a 5 start I would imagine it'd open earlier, have you been to any 5 starts to know?

Planning to get there at 3 to have a few pregame pops and let the kids run around. Would have loved to grill but no tailgating.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Come to Fowling Warehouse! Since a bunch of us folks don’t like Fowling itself, we’ve started doing a cookout in the street next to it.
Everyone is super friendly and it’s kid-friendly as long as you don’t mind them probably overhearing swearing in conversations. There’ll be food and drinks, though you’re obviously welcome to bring your own. If you come, look for a dude in a NIN hat, black jeans, and a black team zip up, say hey. Or just say hi to anyone, really.

Re: Veteran’s, my guess is that they won’t open til 4 because of the earlier start; I think that’s the same time the stadium gates open today, too. I’m not positive, though, I don’t often end up at the stadium before the march.

Is there a place to park over that way? We may head over that way! I'm more concerned with making sure I get some food in four kids (two families, I am not a Mormon) as they will lose their poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My oldest gets to walk DCFC onto the field on Sunday. :3:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LOL, I went to HS with Josh.

This game is getting really chippy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

I am absolutely baffled that Milwaukee thinks they can afford this, unless the owner is just willing to throw all of his personal money at his team. A bunch of us from Detroit took a charter bus out there in 2017 and we outnumbered Milwaukee attendees ~2:1. The bar we were at literally across the street from the field had no idea there was even a soccer team.

So does this mean that DCFC will not be playing in the NPSL any longer and only this one in the Fall? I liked my Summer soccer club.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

Surprise rebrand! Seattle S2 is now the Tacoma Defiance. Logo is a ship being attacked by tentacles.

I need to see this logo, sounds f-n metal.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hrmm... not sure how they were able to disappoint on this. I imagined it would have been a Galleon or something and from the side, not looking directly onto some kind of tanker. 4/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nostradingus posted:

It is by far the best ship and tentacle themed crest I have ever seen.

Well, yeah you have a legitimate point there.