Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You know those moments in games when you nail a QTE finisher prompt, but the character misses a canned attack animation against an immobile enemy, so the finisher doesn't count? It's one of those days...

Finding the Ice Lord
...and I don't think legs bend like this...

Heinrich is a big fan of leather pants, and other hard-to-mend clothing. It's very odd given his condition.

The shaft of the scythe is made up of so many pieces it should probably break apart with each swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Holy poo poo, why does this game have more screen tearing than Drakengard 3 and Asura's Wrath combined?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can't believe that the game loaded, let you take a couple of steps, and then loaded some more. Good god.

edit: I'm not usually a fan of when games force you fight an enemy a certain way, especially in reference to the ridiculous invincibility frames of those tree giants, and having only a single attack that can bring the ice wizards to the ground. I much prefer it when games incentivize certain options, but allow anybody to defeat enemies however they'd like. There were many times when watching the video where I felt that the game just looked like a slog, and I felt bad for you.

edit2: did the game really need to put in cheesecake non-damage specials for no reason? In the time of the internet, I find it hard to believe that people are going to get their jollies off on a two-second in-game cutscene in Knights Contract when instead they could just do a simple bing image search of "boobies".

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 6, 2018

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I think the problem with him getting Gretchel killed is that, by this point, he can't die - literally. The whole point of the contract is to make him mortal again. So the contract is more of a formality than either getting anything out of it - maybe even a way of Gretchel making him feel better about the sins of the past.

Also, this raises a question of how to break the contract, otherwise it's a suicide pact, his he'll kill himself the moment his mortal again, or at least it seems so - and since Gretchel is a homunculus she's probably ageless.

Of course, the metaphysics are somewhat vague, why's he immortal anyway?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Honestly the game is charming despite its flaws. Feel like everyone is taking too much of this game to task. I wouldn't say it's perfect not in the least bit, but it's still one of my favorite games. You can see where they were going and maybe cause of all the potential I see in it, that's the reason why I like it so much.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Szurumbur posted:

I think the problem with him getting Gretchel killed is that, by this point, he can't die - literally. The whole point of the contract is to make him mortal again. So the contract is more of a formality than either getting anything out of it - maybe even a way of Gretchel making him feel better about the sins of the past.

Also, this raises a question of how to break the contract, otherwise it's a suicide pact, his he'll kill himself the moment his mortal again, or at least it seems so - and since Gretchel is a homunculus she's probably ageless.

Of course, the metaphysics are somewhat vague, why's he immortal anyway?

He's immortal because Gretchen cursed him with immortality when he executed her a century prior.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So how many times did you circle through the same area?

EagerSleeper posted:

I can't believe that the game loaded, let you take a couple of steps, and then loaded some more. Good god.

edit: I'm not usually a fan of when games force you fight an enemy a certain way, especially in reference to the ridiculous invincibility frames of those tree giants, and having only a single attack that can bring the ice wizards to the ground. I much prefer it when games incentivize certain options, but allow anybody to defeat enemies however they'd like. There were many times when watching the video where I felt that the game just looked like a slog, and I felt bad for you.

edit2: did the game really need to put in cheesecake non-damage specials for no reason? In the time of the internet, I find it hard to believe that people are going to get their jollies off on a two-second in-game cutscene in Knights Contract when instead they could just do a simple bing image search of "boobies".

That was another thing that God of War did so all the imitators had to. Call it the equivalent of the gunship mission in CoD4. GoW wasn't exactly subtle about it either so no one else was, see also the likes of Splatterhouse putting in nude pictures of the protagonists girlfriend as collectibles.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Sweet two feet from where I just was! How I missed you so!" -- Knights Contract (2011)

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

He's immortal because Gretchen cursed him with immortality when he executed her a century prior.

Hmm, that's some thinking ahead - he'd been made immortal for killing the witches so that he'd like to become mortal by killing all the witches.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

She also somehow knew her new, very detailed, body would be ready just in time for the witches' revengeance.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

SelenicMartian posted:

She also somehow knew her new, very detailed, body would be ready just in time for the witches' revengeance.

Hey, she coulda just walked outta there as a log with a pair of pumpkins nailed to the front, but no, she had to go for the high-end luxury model with real hair that grows and all.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Ratoslov posted:

Hey, she coulda just walked outta there as a log with a pair of pumpkins nailed to the front, but no, she had to go for the high-end luxury model with real hair that grows and all.

To be fair, Minukelsus was simply working off the "research" notes he found laying strewn around Paracelsus' laboratory.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Who can screw up more today: the devs or me?

The Serpent's Den

I wonder why a good deal of released enemy art for Knights Contract focused on Stra...

...Oh.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I like that the second boss' gimmick was telling the characters stuff the audience already learned through a cutscene and the finisher was a dumber version of that one finisher from God of War II.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay that first boss finisher got a laugh out of me.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

on the one hand, those magic-naked-Gretchen supermoves or w/e are clearly intended as erotic fodder (which imo is a smidge poorly timed, given it's happening in the thick of a boss battle)

on the other, if I had the power to construct a gigantic asstral self with which I could deliver devastating buttslams upon my foes, well, I'd be buttslammin' away and to hell with the weirdos

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I lol'd at 'just how stupid are these characters'? Umm. ... do we really want a serious answer to that after the discussion of what the contract actually is??

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I guess I missed out a lot of the games during the period God of War was popular, so I'm experiencing this with fresh eyes.

Even though this game is kinda crap, I still enjoy the unnatural color scheme everything has. It's very dreamlike, and is making me nostalgic for Folklore.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

EagerSleeper posted:

I guess I missed out a lot of the games during the period God of War was popular, so I'm experiencing this with fresh eyes.

Even though this game is kinda crap, I still enjoy the unnatural color scheme everything has. It's very dreamlike, and is making me nostalgic for Folklore.

I'm not the only one who thinks Gretchen looks similar to Ellen, right?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm not the only one who thinks Gretchen looks similar to Ellen, right?
Now that you mention it, they seem eerily similar in appearance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This game looks pretty drat magical. Also the voice acting so far seems pretty top-notch - Faust in particular (is that Troy Baker? He sounds like Troy Baker... from time to time) is just nailing it with the cheesiness.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Scheming to get people killed and then awakening their vengeful ghosts. I suppose it's good work if you can get it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This is fine.

A Town Ablaze

There are some unusual details under Holda's flaming skeleton look.

The split toe metal boots must be a pain to wear.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So far my favorite bit is that Holda's VA either remembers to do an accent or forgets not to do one... For every other line - she's generally doing fine until she hits something like "Anima Del Mond- oh poo poo, accent!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I believe Grey de Lisle is Holda, and she usually does perfectly fine work, but I don't think she was trying too hard here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

The split toe metal boots must be a pain to wear.

Full armor = creepy.
Shoes with individual toes = creepy.

Therefore this = THE MOST CREEPY, obviously.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I really dig the way Heinrich climbs ladders the way jazz musicians approach a performance: it's all about the rungs he's not grabbing, man

I also dig how Halifax's Blade sounds like something Heinrich read about in a poorly-spelled and -formatted pamphlet that promised to "InCr3ase teh L3nGTh & gr1th of Th1nE w3AP0n"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What bugs me about Heinrich's climbing animation with the ladders is he is so obviously off center.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This really seems like the game would work better if you just played as the witch and let Heinrich do his own immortal thing.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Things being on fire should be cool, but here it's very nondistinct and easy to get lost in. Also lol at Heinrich's reaction when Gretchen told him that the super duper witch's code was just "don't hurt people".

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I kind of get the feeling that Gretchen is the only one who actually gave a crap about the code in the first place, or that interpreted 'Do what thou wilt an it harm none' to include 'slaughter all heretics and traitors'.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

"We don't kill people! Stop killing people! I'll kill you if you don't stop killing people! I'm killing you now!"

Or maybe they don't count because they all came back from the dead?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The dialogue gets more amusing if you remember the original meaning of 'decimate.'

The Burning Tyrant

Game Republic presents Asses of Fire.

There are so many flames it's a total mess.
You don't have to go that far to convey an idea.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
There seems to be one set of spells that kills enemies and greatly speeds up boss fights and five sets which hurts enemies and decently speeds up boss fights. I wonder why you picked the former mentioned set.

Anyway, the level three spear spell makes a mistake I've seen way to often in video games, it allows you to concentrate the damage against multiple enemies into one with no reduction in power. If an attack can hit say five enemies, but you can concentrate it on a single one, it should deal like twice or so the multi-target damage against that single enemy, not five times. Most games which makes that mistake does however err on the side of making the attack underpowered against enemy groups rather than overpowered against single targets.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Heinrich really tore the screen a new one after that first boss phase.

edit: Man, this game really wants to be Bayonetta with the finishers but can't pull it off.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 16, 2018

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I've started watching the LP now and have to say that already you can see the horrid execution on hand. The nonsense of Heinrich just allowing himself to be stabbed through his useless armor, the hilarious exposition speech of Gretchen's introduction, the loading screens, hilariously linear maps, etc.

It's also interesting in how you can see that they at least started the game off with the right kind of ideas. The inherent terrible-ness of the witch hunts as a starting basis of the story, the general premise of people trying to keep to morality and fix the awful mess that resulted, the body horror of the enemy designs, there's a basis of something good here. Instead we have this.

I find it fascinating regardless and am going to watch the rest of the videos.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Aw yiss, slashed doublets. :getin:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Watch the boss health bar from start to finish :yikes:

He Who Desires Eternity

There isn't much art onilne for anything apart from the witch bosses. And half of that is Straeggele.

Let's make a spear better by increasing drag.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Did it really take half the game for Heinrich to ask about the maguffin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Did it really take half the game for Heinrich to ask about the maguffin?

And he didn't even get an answer.

Was there any point to this whole level at all, aside from introducing Faust's nameless midget alchemist and the whole evil vagina mechanic? I think the only thing we learned here was Faust's motivation, which is not very compelling.

• Locked thread