Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A race I remember but not fondly. I was still in a uni halls of residence and I got up to watch the race in the early, only to find an overweight and naked man asleep on the spare bed in the living room, arse only a foot or so away from the tv. I had to spend the next couple of hours trying not to be distracted by the frequent and wet farts he was letting rip...

How my dedication to F1 has fallen.

Also: interview with a charmer... https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/mar/03/max-mosley-it-is-perfectly-legitimate-to-offer-immigrants-financial-inducements-to-go-home

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

they are losing their title sponsor next year, rght?
Not to mention the dive in their WCC prize money. The only hope is that Sirotkin somehow manages to be a surprisingly steady pair of hands. Apparently he's at least impressed Williams with the amount of work he's putting in at the factory.

The idea that Bobby K would be less of a dumpster fire is one I remain unconvinced by. Schumacher lost 'it' having a mere three year sabbatical, seven years and an arm seems just too much to me.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Khablam posted:

Make F1 sexy again.
You forgot Our Nige.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

F1 had the best onscreen track maps in the early 90s before they disappeared forever.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMJMh3YeExw

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Jean Todt, FIA posted:

BOTTAS LIFE SAVED BY HALO. DECISION FULLY JUSTIFIED.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Re: Watkins Glen. "Sorry We Lost Helmuth Koinigg's Head, The Austrian F1 Driver. No, Not Nicki Lauda, That Wasn't Us And Beside He Just Lost A Few Features. Also No, Not Jochan Rindt, That Neck Surgery Wasn't Us..."

F1 at the track would wreck it.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 26, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The first rule of the Internet is to run all jokes in to the ground....

If you like a track, never wish that F1 visits it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

How long until he murders his supermodel girlfriend?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Renault F1 engine engineers confirmed to behind design of the new Alpine A110

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So the cousin of The Greatest Driver Of all Time won the second British F3 race at Oulton Parkl today. All Hail Manuel Maldonado.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

iospace posted:

Seems Ferrari hasn't won a WDC in a decade. They might want to step it up.
Quick quiz: since 1980, there have only been three times a constructor won a WCC title without it being part of back-to-back titles. Without looking it up, who can name the teams and years....

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Correct. Benetton in '95, McLaren in '98 then Brawn in '09.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I always wonder if anyone tried gaining laptime in a pit outlap or something by cutting a chicane but not overtaking anyone by doing it
In qualifying at Magny Cours in 1991, it's said that Senna figured he figured he could end his lap quicker if threw himself through the final corner to cross the timing line and not worry about spinning the other side. He took pole...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Chuck Calrissian just blitzed the field in F2. The 2019 McLaren line-up is surely going to be Chuck-Nando unless Nando quits F1 in a McLaren-are-poo poo-still huff, in which case we get to watch Stof get a beat-down from a rookie...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If you're watching british tv, you should just have been watching the BTCC on ITV4. Crazy race due to a mix of runners on wet and dry tyres... (find ITV4+1 if you can)

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 8, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

GramCracker posted:

What time is Antiques Roadshow on? I heard today’s ep is a banger
Enough about your mum...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Marussia ran '15 with their '14 car with minimal modifications to meet some new regs. They even called it the MR03B.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Something odd is going on for sure.

Williams slower.
Force India can’t keep up.
Lewis only 0.003 faster in quali than last year

Meanwhile at Ferrari they are 0.7 faster than last year’s quali.

I’m going to go with Mercedes works and customer cars not being allowed to burn oil rather than some magic Ferrari cheat mode - It’s hard to see how they could be using the oil in some sneaky way given that you can see it pissing out the back of the car all race.
Williams - a technical department with no money who built a flawed car, driven by the chuckle brothers, supported by an over-the-hill test driver.
Force India - a poor team who have been caught up with by reality after a string of over-achieving cars.
Mercedes - a team who have never really understood the Pirelli tyres as well as some of the other teams, and who no longer have a massive engine advance to cover up the days when they can't get the tyres to work.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Frond posted:

I stand corrected. Sorry!
They actually tried asking for special permission to start the year with the actual '14 car while they built a true '15 car. Fellow paupers and general party poopers Force India said nope. So they made the minimal changes required, called it a B spec and claimed there would be a proper 15 car later. They closed shop at the end of the season without ever making a new spec chassis.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't hold a high opinion of Paddy Lowe but Mercedes did seem to have some grasp and level of understanding of the Pirellis when he was there. Whether there is a correlation or its just coincidence idk.
I didn't say no understanding. Just they've been prone to the odd weekend when they can't get the tyres in to the right window.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Having now seen the Verstappen crash, it's not as flat-out-stupid as I was expecting but as a long chain of incidents, I welcome everyone dog-piling on him. Also he drives for RedBull.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Worst modern era GP Winners:
Olivier Penis
Trullitrain
Pasta
Heikki Slovalainen.
Irv the Swerve
Unsprung Massa
Denim Alesi.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'd forgotten about the Trullitrain until I looked up the GP Winners list on Wikipedia. Let's take a moment to remember just how turgid the. Trullitrain experience was.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Bottas is dropped for being rubbish, Ham quits for a rap career, Vettel admits he's still addicted to red bull (hence the angry outbursts) and is fired for being off brand with his addiction (tabacco). So yes.

Only Kimi will keep his seat next year.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Frond posted:

Alesi should probably have more than 1 win tbh.
When does bad luck stop being back luck and a sign of less talent than popularly believed?

How did I forget to put Bousten on my list?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK I think some of you seem to think anybody who isn't winning Schumacher levels is a poo poo driver.
I know one shouldn't talk ill of the dead but Schumacher was a poo poo driver who lucked in to a series of good cars. The archive of any web forum active at that time will show 50% of the internet thought he was a lovely driver in cheating teams. 100% of the internet agreed Ralf was a lovely grumpy driver.

edit: updated Worst modern era GP Winners:
Olivier Penis
Trullitrain
Pasta
Heikki Slovalainen.
Irv the Swerve
Sprung Massa
Denim Alesi.
Thierry Botulism
Grumpy Schumacher

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 16, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

What the gently caress?
At the time he was not uniformaly loved. 50% of F1 fans hated his guts and put a lot of effort in proving he was terrible and wrong. Like Hamilton but without the Spanish blackface.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 16, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXT9s4K3wM

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hope Lewis retires soon so everyone can experience how funny the British press is when there actually isn't a good british driver on the grid.
I'm sorry for thise looking forward to the end of British hegemony over F1 but both George Russel and Landon Norris are teams' radars.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

That's funny cause Hamilton did nothing but subtly bitch about not being given number 1 status when Rosberg was in the team. Again very convenient to pretend it's all fair with no competition.
That's not quite true. He bitched about the team playing it safe in the name of 1-2s rather than being allowed to use all car performance or strategy options to their disposal as would have been the case if he'd been chasing a Ferrari or RBR. Plus I think he would have preferred for the two sides of the garage not to have shared all their telemetry and setup data where he viewed Rosberg got more than him than he was interested in Rosberg.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 18, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

As I said he "subtly bitch about not being given number 1 status when Rosberg was in the team." lol
But that's not asking for special treatment above Rosberg. He wanted both himself and Rosberg to be allowed to fight with both hands not one behind their backs. It's less an issue now as Mercedes need to use all options to stay ahead of Ferrari and RBR.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Alonso is not going to leave McLaren unless a better seat opens up, which is unlikely. Lando could replace Vandoorne if he really sucks, but he’s actually seemed to improve this year. More likely to see Alonso stay one more year and then be replaced by Lando in 2020.
If the McLaren is crap enough for Nando to walk away, they're going to struggle to sign another experience top driver unless they throw money at them and there's still no sign of them getting a main sponsor..... In which case Chuck would not be an unreasonable contender for the seat; he held his own when paired with Nano at Daytona. If Vandoorne doesn't make a big step up then he'll benefit from as much sentimentality as Magnussen and Perez, and it'll be a a Nano-Chuck pairing. McLaren's headache will be if Nando stays, Vandoorne shows up and Chuck's F2 season is as amazing as some predict and there's a specific risk losing him to a team that will give him a seat...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Lando is under contract with McLaren, he can’t just run off to any team he wants.
We know he's got a contract as the reserve driver for 2018 but we don;t know the terms of the contract beyond that.

It's a shame that Vandoorne was in the car with Nando-Chuck at Daytona, that would have been a fascinating chance to benchmark them.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

McGuinty posted:

I have very specific recollections of people in this very thread praising features of the circuit. At the very least saying that it is the least bad Tilkedrome (which we all know is actually Sepang (RIP)). I am too lazy to actually look any of this up but stand by my assertion.
Actually, Tilke's best track was Intercity Istanbul Park.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Frond posted:

Mosport is that way too.
Probably my favorite track in iRacing, although the double Apex hairpin hates me.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

What was last good Mclaren? The mp4/13?
The car they had for the first 2/3rds of 2010 was good for a title fight before they got out developed during the season.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

250GTO, 250LM, Dino and a F40. There's no post F40 Ferrari I would buy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.motor1.com/news/240170/mclaren-720s-audi-r8-crash/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If I had the money to buy any car in the world, it wouldn't be a Ferrari. It'd either be a 917K or M8D (or F).