Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I am okay with pizza/pineapple. I will judge you harshly about salty little fish, though.

I don't post much in AI except for the ppl you share the road with thread. The last other stuff I posted was about a 2002 Mazda Tribute that I could get for 1500 bux and the consensus was that eh, I could do worse. Well, I ended up getting it for less than 1300 (not cash, thank god). I worked 80 hours @ $12/hr and traded ~300 bux worth of stuff for it.

The loving thing is the worst car I have ever had the displeasure to operate. You know how some people grow sentimental towards a car? Name it? Imbue it with a kind of personality?

I despise it. I hate it at least 94.778% as much as I have hated anything before in my life. I want to see it crushed at a scrapyard. I want to see it crushed while it is on fire. It is the H8mobile. It has all the charm of a gut-shot mama moose defending her calf. It is Satan's golf cart.

and it's for sale :) ask me for deets!

I also came here to pimp the fundraiser in gbs. It's cat flavored, so in line with the topic I think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851374

dee eight fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Is this your cat?

Somebody posted that in my bd thread when I said I should invite AI. By the by, you are all invited to my birthday thread this July.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I used to sometimes get a cheap timex for a Christmas or birthday present when I was a kid and never used them for more than a day or two. I just never could stand the feeling of wearing a watch for some reason.

I'd carry a pocket watch sometimes, but eventually realized the world is covered with clocks and I usually don't really care what time it is anyway.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Rhyno posted:

Wells Fargo

RUN! THROW SOME HOLY WATER AT THEM AND RUN!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

everdave posted:

rent a car for $175 or a SUV for $250 for a week to keep from

everdave posted:

spend $400+ on Thule or Yakima?

Math is pretty cool stuff.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

everdave posted:

I will be using this OFTEN.

Your math is superior to my math.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Whoa.

I got my name in the paper a couple times. Once for getting lost in the woods when I was 12, and once for winning a gold medal for some science thing in 6th grade.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Tomarse posted:

Just online ordered 3 different sized tyres with mounting and balancing from a chain tyre place (I’m gonna rock up with 2 loose wheels in the back)

What do the other 2 go on?

I once had a dream of owning a Honda 90 motorcycle with low gearing and the front hub laced up about an inch off center. And the rear hub about an inch and three quarters off center.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Jetson/futurama tubes are the next evolution of transporation if skynet doesn't get us first.

I'm looking forward to teaching a "kid" how to drive. My 27 y/o carpool buddy who has not touched a steering wheel since HS drivers ed.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 22, 2018

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So on to misc poo poo. I need a toolbox. Something better than the slightly smaller than a shoebox plastic piece of poo poo from Harbor Freight I currently have.

Budget is pretty low, but it needs to be metal, portable, have a couple of drawers, and be capable of carrying more than 2 pounds.

Recommendations?

I have a box for my main socket set (Kobalt 3/8" metric/imperial set) that came with the set; the socket set won't be going into any kind of toolbox (it lives in my trunk in its original case). But all the other random poo poo I have to buy (both household and car) will, aside from large stuff (like my :quagmire: drill). Stuff like crimpers (regular, ethernet, coax), drywall saw, screwdrivers, random low usage sockets (like the 37mm I need to change the timing belt tensioner, 22mm for the shocks) and half inch drive wrench/breaker bar, eventually a torque wrench, etc.

Northern Tool and Harbor Freight will probably be my first stops, though I may check out Sears (... if I can find one).

Low budget? Hit the 2nd hand stores and pawn shops maybe find a gem.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Crap, I missed drag chat.

Local strip when I was a kid was called Quarter Aces Raceway. The right lane went slightly uphill and both lanes had a little left dog-leg at about 1/8th mile. In a wooded area. One of my uncles ran his 64 vette there and got some trophies. There was the occasional lol grudge race, like scout vs jeep or 36 horse beetle vs nash metro.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I hates skeeters
and cluster flies
and grasshoppers.

I've never had to deal with fleas, my critters stay pretty tidy I guess.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

New ignition switch showed up.

I yearn for a simpler time...

flip toggle switch, engage starter

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Check this Studebaker resto vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3pYwSAjO7I

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I have that studebaker lark with the little plastic hunter and his dog. I had several hundred matchbox cars when I was a kid and never played with them or smashed em up because they looked too cool. I sold most of my collection years ago but saved some of my faves.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Even though I am a cat person through and through, I will admit that Beagles and Dobermans are top tier dogs.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

MomJeans420 posted:

I got new tires last week and they've been making sounds like the sticker is still on each tire, but no sticker. People thought it may be adhesive, but it's been almost a week and it's still loud (and tied to wheel speed). I'm wondering if the valve stems could be doing it? I've never even heard of that before, but I can't figure what else it could be.

Something stuck in the tread is my first thought, but I'll guess that you checked for that already. Maybe something really odd like a loose balance weight or something got inside the tire(s) when they were mounted?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

MomJeans420 posted:

It sounds like it's coming from more than one tire is the strange thing. If you remove the tires from the wheels, I'm assuming they'll have to be balanced again, right?

Yeah, if you break it down and remount it needs re balanced. Maybe get it on a lift and spin each one and see if it's something not contact related. Only other ideas that presents atm is improperly torqued lugnuts or maybe a slightly warped disc? I dunno. It's been decades since I worked in a tire shop.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

quote:

Stock 283 with a 4 speed transmission.

I have a boner.

e: I would have named my firstborn 283 Chevy if I could have gotten away with it.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 28, 2018

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Here's my hotter than hell story:

I was working in a mill as a grader so I was sitting on a platform about 8 feet off the floor and watching particle board sheets go under me on a conveyor belt. It was high summer and the temp where I was hit about 126F. Seriously. 1 loving 26. As I was sitting there in a lump of overheated misery, this girl that worked there sneaked up behind me and poured a hardhat full of cold water from the water cooler on my back. The shock was intense and felt more like fire than cold water. It literally hurt like a bad sunburn for 5 minutes or so.

I got my revenge, though. I got a five gallon bucket and filled it and kept it on the gradestand for a couple days. When the time came, she was standing below and behind me with the foreman checking paint color. I caught the foreman's eye and motioned for him to step back. He grinned and moved away while I dumped the bucket on her. She looked up and yelled "THAT WASN'T COLD!"

I yelled back "THAT WASN'T WATER!"

the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Rhyno posted:

We're going to a party Saturday and I asked if there would be food and the host said "Yeah we'll probably get some Pahppy Jays."

Now I don't want to be friends with him.

Good call.

• Locked thread