Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
cat tax:

This is the cat we almost stole. Pretty thing. We named him " 'arry the orphan boy"

Moving can be good, but long distance relationships suck.

Tomarse posted:

:siren: WARNING chat thread toll booth 2 posts ahead :siren:
I feel so lied to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

You have no idea...

My wife used to work at an animal rescue. He was what is commonly referred to as a "foster failure" - she brought him home as a foster the day he was surrendered by a couple of teenage girls and he never went back to the shelter.
Pit mixed with what?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

SHE'S GOT SOMETHING YOU CAN EAT
Fixed

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Biodome posted:

I’m in Vegas for a few days for a friends bachelor party. Anyone got any personal recommendations for places to check out/eat?
Fremont Street is impressive.

Mind the midgets in spandex. :eek:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

200 miles is the same as I did. Borrow your dad's f-150, rent a trailer, move all the poo poo at once. Doing it round trip in a day isn't a big deal. Move yourself the next day or something.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Auron posted:

Traded in my 15' F150 XLT 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew for an 18' XLT Sport 3.5 (Lightning Blue!)EcoBoost SCrew on Saturday. Man this Gen 2 EcoBoost is so smooth in comparison to the Gen 1; it feels and sounds like a completely different engine. The 10 speed takes a little getting used to, as it tends to skip-shift a lot if you're driving around lazily. I know I'm in honey moon period, but this truck is A LOT more refined than my 15', which was the first aluminum body year. Once I get it broken in I'll have to rip on it a little, I guess people are getting these into the mid 13's STOCK.
The gen II is a beast, and yeah it skip shifts every time in normal mode. Put it in tow or sport mode and it'll go through all of them. Pur your foot down and it'll go through all of them very very quickly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Auron posted:

Yeah I think I'm going to run it in Sport mode for break in, just to keep the revs varying often.
Sport mode is fun until you see the gas bill. It uses lower gears more easier and makes the pedal quite a bit more sensitive. Which is exactly why it's more fun.

Actually, switching to the truck from the 'Stang has slowed me down like 10mph in freeway cruising.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Do not resist! Do the opposite of that! Unresist!

Edit: I missed a call about a job I applied for last night.
Missing the initial call is not a big deal.

But wow, that's a quick turnaround.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If you get the job maybe you can finish any of the dozen rotaries you've got in progress... 😛

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 19, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, that was quick.

Always frustrating when exactly the thing that everyone with a brain has been warning them would happen inevitably happens.
Nothing is perfect, and hitting a cyclist that crosses the street without looking is a really hard to thing to avoid. Let's see where blame truly lies before we pass judgement, aye?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 20, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Edit: nope. I've said my piece on the cyclist thing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

gently caress I might need to get that as a tat. Same pattern, too, as that matches my old Mustang.

E: lol.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 21, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Take a closer look.
Oh gently caress. That's what I get for only looking at the reverse location.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

This is a good way to go to juvie these days. Particularly if you are white as gently caress.
Fixed

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

You would be the one to say white people are oppressed.
Nah it's cool. I live(d) in CA. I was the minority.

But more seriously it does depend on where you are. Minorities are definitely under the boot more in some areas than in others.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

There is nowhere in this country that a white kid is going to be treated worse than any other race. To pretend otherwise is straight up horse poo poo, casual racism.
Not my argument. Whites are usually treated better, but to not acknowledge that SJW bullshit isn't making that line a lot thinner is also racist. People assigning harsher punishment to white kids out of racism guilt is still racism.

The goal is to treat all races the same. Anything else is still racist bullshit. Bullies should get their due. Kids defending themselves should get rewarded. Simple as that.

And I think the word is plurality, largest single group but less than half. Which is neither here nor there.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Dogwhistle racism is when you say things that, on their face, aren't explicitly racist but every racist agrees And will back it up. Such topics as black on black crime anytime crime is mentioned, 'thug', etc.

See also; ilkhan saying that ignorant rear end poo poo, and ozmiander coming out of the woodwork to pipe in on his side. Or fox news 24/7.
Also a way to call rational thinking racist because you're a SJW dipshit.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Treating people the same is now racist. Love you guys.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well I hope that shuts up everyone who was talking about suicidal pedestrians throwing themselves at great speed into traffic it won't

I'm going to guess the driver will be fined or sued for negligence, Uber will eat a fine and make a statement promising to learn from this tragedy, we'll get another death in a couple of months. :(
Nope. That was 90% Ubers fault. The lidar should have sensed here presence and stopped the vehicle. That's what the sensors are there for. 10% her's because she was still jaywalking.

The failure analysis will be telling, if it's ever released.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tide posted:

Gotcha. Looked like a highway to me.

I don't mean to infer that it was intentional by the biker (suicide?), because even if it was, and as much as it's the womans obligation to ensure her own safety while crossing the street, it's the drivers responsibility to ensure their and others safety as well and not looking at their drat phone for 4 seconds (264 feet at an assumed 45 mph) and 6 seconds (396 feet at an assumed 45 mph) at a time. From the time that the driver first looked down, glanced up, then looked back down at her phone, the car had traveled nearly 800 feet.

I'm a big subscriber to chaos theory. All the things that had to happen to make that moment possible just reinforces that when it's your time to go, there's not much you can do about it.

I would expect that the NHTSA is going to get involved, so this will be public record.
True. One doesn't have to be suicidal to do something stupid. Smart people do stupid things every day.

And yeah, it'll probably be public record due to NHTSA.

The point above about this being completely unremarkable if it was a human driver is also a good one. Dark street, jaywalking pedestrian in dark clothes, etc. I completely discount the human side of it because if that. The lidar not picking up the pedestrian is abnormal, preventable, and learnable.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 22, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I don't get it either. I want a Rhodesian, but not gonna complain if its mixed.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 26, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yay, three phone screenings, some of which were extremely promising, and zero going to even "talking to anyone technically competent". Oh well, not like I'm terribly underemployed or anything.

Time to shotgun the resume at any other job in the area even remotely in my field.
Yes, do this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My Facebook has about 15 people on it, all genuine friends and family.

If you don't treat friend count as a contest Facebook is fine. I don't add random strangers specifically to avoid the drama and bullshit.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

To be fair, extreme cold and extreme heat can both kill you.

But I've only passed out from heat/dehydration, so that is worse to me. Also only so many layers of clothing can be removed, you can bundle up more for cold (within limits).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

I'm from the Canadian chunk of the PNW so the hottest we get up here on the regular during summer is in the upper 70s to low 80s F (around 27-29 C) and the hottest irregularly is maaaaybe low 90s F (low-mid 30s C) if the local deity decides it's going to ruin us one summer. The worst heat I have ever experienced was stepping out of McCarran International Airport in late June during a heat wave and being confronted by a literal wall of 119 F (48 C) heat.

I'll pass on doing that again anytime soon.
When I was in Vegas last July it was hitting 120. loving hot. Sacramento was only 5 degrees cooler, though. 😢

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Heh, you and I might have been there around the same time then. I was there for Cisco Live, basically end of June/beginning of July.
I would have been right after, weekend of the 14th iirc.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

How many jobs are there for rocket scientists, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Found out we lost my grandmother this morning. Glad I got to visit her a few weeks ago at least. Mid 90s and bedridden for years and about 65 pounds; so at least not unexpected.

Enourmo posted:

At the end of the day I'm a Mechanical Engineering major. Rockets are what I've ended up doing at school, but there's no shortage of jobs for me overall. My only hangup is not wanting to work in defense, but even on that I've gotten to the point of "if you pay me I don't give a gently caress, whatever"
Ah, well that makes a lot more sense. MEs are always needed. I started as an ME major, but calc and physics both kicked my rear end so oh well.

• Locked thread