Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My kids have brought home one form of crud or another and passed it to me for about 3 weeks straight. I've been out of work for a week with eye surgery and today is my first day back.

Today I need the coffee injected straight into my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sometimes being in a relationship sucks, but having a person who supports you is a good thing.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

Alimony. She wants it settled and we both have good lawyers, I meet with mine Thursday again. I am just scared of the unknown and her unreasonable demands.

Yes I end up with kids more than 50% of the time but I am not complaining about that. I mean her calling me and saying her family thinks I am not paying enough as it is now! Insane. She doesn't have a job and thinks she can just bake cakes and clean a few friends houses and then me pay all of her living expenses for the next 15+ years.

The one advantage of her seeking more on the alimony side, and less on the child support side (if that's what she's doing) is that you can get the alimony dropped if she remarried. Possibly get it reduced or dropped if she shacks up with a dude and you PI it.

If you haven't gotten an attorney this is absolutely where an experienced one pays off. Find out who's the biggest divorce shark in your area and retain them before she does.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

This was largely sarcastic, but text and tone/sarcasm detection via text on the internet, blah blah blah and here we are. :)

Having said that, the past week has been horrible. sickness doesn't help, but my 5yo is not sleeping much better than the 9mo (aka barely at all), so after kids go to bed it's clean up for an hour, then she passes out while I try to stay awake and manage the wakeups so we can both take turns over night. It's a really rough spot for us right now, and our kids are amazing and WILL grow out of it. Just trying to be patient. :)

Y'all definitely need to have kids-free days scheduled from time to time, if you're not already. Even if it's just a day of hanging out at home.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Watching my 4yo projectile-poo poo across the bathroom as she dry heaves into the toilet is not how I expected to begin my Sunday.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Fuckin hell, woke up to find my smoker stalled out overnight and my 3 seven pound pork shoulders have to be tossed out :argh::argh::argh:

This is worse than my morning. :(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cheating is for winners.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Mmm, lovely. Hopefully it's something that'll clear up of its own accord soon enough.

:siren: Update - after many tough sessions this morning and early afternoon, she napped a bit with her mom while I ran to Walmart and braved the post-church crowd to pick up Pedialyte (they have popsicles now) and things.

Woke up, declared herself "all better" and ran outside where I shortly had to holler at her to stop chasing the dogs with a stick.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I'm down 30lbs since January, thanks ketogenic diet!
Now I spend all of my free time having wet dreams about deep-dish pizza and beer

Do you have pee test strips by your toilet like I do? :v:

Not mine I swear. My wife has been very successful doing keto for about the same time period. She doesn't drink beer anyway, but no bread is tough for her. Though frankly some of the alternatives she's found are good enough to eat even outside of the diet. Cauliflower mac n cheese is pretty delicious. Ditto the shirataki noodles with homemade alfredo sauce.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

She says there's a thing of carbquick in the cabinet that she has yet to try. Have you tried cloudbread yet (made from eggs and cream cheese)?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Fuckkk tree branch just came down on my garage. It's pulling the power lines tight and punched a hole in the roof. The garage door track is bent so I can't even get in there.

Luckily as far as I can tell through the windows no damage to the car or bike.

They're probably slammed at the moment if you're in the area of the nor'easter, but when things clear your POCO should at least remove the limb from their line, if you call them. If you ask nicely when they're working, they may remove it completely from the roof (they may not because of liability issues).

It appears that the garage door track can be straightened, and assuming that one hole is the extent... Repairing that and a section of shingles isn't that expensive.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Man I feel for you guys with lovely divorces and having to deal with your ex'es for years.

Fortunately my wife's ex-husband is pretty cool and we all get along, which is the best thing for my stepdaughter. She was just a baby when the split up happened and I snuck in there. I think he realized very quickly that I was not a threat to him as a father, and I actively tried to keep things smoothed over from the beginning.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So I recall going to a Del Taco when I was Boise a few years ago... And I thought I recalled that they had excellent milkshakes. Was that a fever dream?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If someone left me a Rolex, I'd sell it and buy a fast car. gently caress watches, it's 2018.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Add me to the list of "really needs to get that done". Mostly so the kids needs will be provided for and everything can be liquidated as easily as possible and held in trust.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

It infuriates me because it's one of the most basic problems any human driver has to deal with.

From the article posted.

quote:

The San Francisco Chronicle late Monday reported that Tempe Police Chief Sylvia Moir said that from viewing videos taken from the vehicle “it’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode (autonomous or human-driven) based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway." 

I'm very on the fence about driverless tech, but reasonably you have to admit that there are situations where accidents can happen, regardless of whether the driver is a piece of software or sentient meatbag.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

If it's just ilkhan and/or ozimander

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

RE: Fleas

A Capstar will kill every adult on the animal, like immediately, which is nice if the cat is covered in them. Unfortunately the fleas you are seeing only represent about 10% at most of the total population. You need to get on long term flea prevention as was said, and it takes 3 months to completely break the cycle.

My wife likes Bravecto because it comes in a topical that works for 3 months with one dose. If the cat is staying indoor/outdoor, you should treat the house inside with something - a Fipronil spray is effective and very safe. Sevin dust or whatever you want to use outdoors around the house.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I really want a labradoodle for our next dog, minimal shedding seems very appealing after this black lab mutt we have

Just get a poodle. There's no reason to dumb it down with Labrador genes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If all breeders had health and genetic screening as the top priority (along with temperament for breeds that despite their original use are now primarily sold as pets) then purebred would have the advantage in all instances. This excludes breeds that are just poorly designed. In many cases, the expensive breeders DO that, but people being people, will hunt out the budget breeder and then wonder of wonders, have a bad experience. Or some breeders are shady, and convince buyers that they perform screening, but don't really despite charging the premium price. The kennel clubs don't police or guarantee anything, and as has been pointed out, actively promoted a continuation of unhealthy traits in some breeds. If you do dog breeding the "right" way, in few instances is there any money in it.... It's another expensive hobby.

That being said, by all means adopt a mutt but for crissakes get it spayed/neutered! Hybrid vigor is bullshit and the world doesn't need any more mixed up dogs than what already keep popping out.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Inbreeding that exists in purebreds gently caress immune systems up and that is why hybrid vigor is truly a thing - the wider the potential genetic pool, the less chance a problem is passed on and the more chance a strong immune system is accquired.

This is on the same level as horoscopes and Himalayan salt lamps.

But I'm not interested in debating it. Keep adopting rescues, whether papered or mutt, and rendering them sterile. :)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wrar posted:

Most of the genetic defects are recessive traits right? So, uh, what?

The part I quoted was something about hybrid vigor and immune systems, not recessive genes.

Dogs aren't the only species that are bred for type. And fortunately so, because our food supply as we know it, depends on that. Dogs aren't special in that regard, but people use all kinds off bullshit terminology based on anecdotal evidence to justify... What exactly because I'm not sure either? What is the end goal, with a call to end all purposeful dog breeding?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What?

Wrong. Immune systems benefit from a wide gene pool. The principles of monoculture is a good place to start to disprove your assertion, let alone the fact animals with the widest slection of genes DO tend to be hardier and resist disease

CAT INTERCEPTOR hosed around with this message at Mar 26, 2018 around 19:03

LMAO, put the part back in about husbandry that you edited out.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cage posted:

Having no facebook is great. However, those with friends may feel differently.

There's some people, and some pages related to my work that I miss. Still worth it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What does AI think about this?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've been looking for something classic to fool around with. Never really looked at Vegas, but from what I can find it's a solid price if it's as described/pictured.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It makes me irrationally annoyed when I'm trying to have a professional conversation with a client, and they end every sentence with "sir".

"I don't want to do it that way for x reason sir."
"We just don't have that kind of funding sir."
"I just don't understand why you say that sir."

Now, "Yessir" I'm ok with. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think it bother me because the more it gets repeated, the more sarcastic it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I went and drove this. Good is, the body is straight, and the only rust is near the bottom of one of the rear wheel arches. It's tagged so I was able to drive it around the block. The motor cranks easily and it probably has all of it's 115hp. Trans shifts ok, needs a new clutch cable. The body and interior are pretty good, only suffering from some "old man fixes" like the crappy little mud flaps installed with sheet metal screws, general bodging like that (basically, sheet metal screws everywhere).

Bad is, I don't think this car has really been driven in many years. Dude trailers it to car shows and idles it around the block. Needs tires, full suspension rebuild, brakes, and exhaust manifold gaskets immediately. It's super squirrelly at any speed that isn't sitting still. Manual rack, which I've had before but it's super stiff even once moving (dry grease where I could see, so maybe just needs some lubrication). The headers are bitty, "massaged", and still stick pretty far into the front wheel wells. Exhaust needs something else done with it, hangs below the body and about 2.5" off the ground.

So basically:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I think it's a 5 grand car. Very neat.

But the owner has an emotional attachment to it so I don't think he's ready to hear an offer. Hell maybe he'll get what he wants. If it was sorted I'd give him well more than what he's asking - but I want something I can drive, not something I have to spend a $1500-$2000 in parts in the hope I can make it fun to drive.

Adiabatic posted:

Do it you wont

:( I'm not cool enough

Edit: actually the ad just disappeared so I guess he did sell it

• Locked thread