Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

Never settle, y'all. Be content with your life and yourself, and if you aren't, work on that first.

Truth from the mods nest.

Try and find some internal happiness, the rest follows suit. I've got problems, but, poo poo - end of the day, I go home, kick up my feet, my cat jumps in my lap, the wife and I shoot the poo poo, and life's alright. Weekends, hit the sled, put on 200+km of socket-wrenching fun - blows a lot of steam.

Just need a quad/SxS for the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit: also, is it weird if there's like 6 of us at work that bring a French press to make coffee? Cause it feels weird.

Means you, and others at your work, have class and taste.
I'd do it but I'm loving lazy, and the kettle at work is loving gross.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Enourmo posted:

So humidity makes both hot and cold days worse? I wonder if there's objectively a temperature at which the effect is neutral.

Around 15-20 celcius is that point for me. Probably varies by your acclimitization. But if its in that range, humid/not humid doesn't seem to make much difference to me.

But humidity makes cold a LOT worse. loving terrible-worse.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

I was gonna longpost this but then decided not to.

My reasons for moving to and living where I do have decided to divest themselves of the area and move somewhere a couple hours away. I'm mad. I'm not mad at them for it, I'm mad at myself for ever having moved up here in the first place. I'm mad at myself for buying this house, getting my lovely as gently caress job, and doing it for reasons other than self-benefit. I'm mad that I've squandered several more years of my life with this bullshit.

I'm now actively job hunting in an area I don't really want to live in either and considering an up to 3 hour commute just so that I can eventually get out of this shithole city.

I wonder what the look on my boss' face is gonna be when on Friday night I ask him if I can use him as a reference.

Where abouts are you at again, and what field are you in?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Owen Sound, which is everything the elephant's rear end in a top hat the locals claim it to be (apparently on old maps of Canada if you rotated them and looked at Ontario you'd see an elephant and its rear end in a top hat is Owen Sound).

At present I work in the print industry as a finishing assistant in the bindery of a print facility. I have two backup roles that put me on a forklift. It's shift work, and Dupont 12 hour nightmare rotation. Second largest employer in the city and if you ever wanted to know what it's like to see a bunch of boomers act like they're still in highschool stop on by.

I used to work in an office, designing analog and digital IC photomasks. I have experience with perl, tcl/tk, Tanner L-edit, Cadence, Hercules, and long list of things that doesn't include a degree and thusly negates the point of most of the list since I'll never get a job again as a physical designer without a degree. I'm hunting for jr dev positions in the $17/h range in the GTA, more would be better to offset gasoline. Something hand-holdy until I pick up whatever it is the cool kids do in software these days. As for the commute, it's very roughly on par with a commute I used to do from Kitchener to Toronto for the physical design gig. What's funny to me, is that commute was done in a '07 Nissan Versa hatchback, though that one was blue and had an automatic and mine is silver and has a stick.

Certified for any other heavy equipment? Want to get into the mining industry? There's work a bit north if you are interested, at the least I could probably get your resume past the screening point.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

No certifications for anything other than my forklift and scissor lift tickets but I have experience with backhoes, front-end loaders, and excavators.

I'm open to working in the mining industry if it doesn't see me in some tunnel in the ground because I am not good with tunnels. Also I'm not sure if it would fit in with my goal of "normal work week."

Our tunnels are v.large :P Kinda like <insertrandomforumposter's> moms vagina. There are surface jobs to. It is a rotation, but most people in the area work one, so its not too bad. Its normal work week for up here. And believe me, 5/2 sucks loving rear end. At least up here. I'd kill for a 4/3 or 8/6 so I have enough time off to actually do things.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

I don't want to flip between days and nights anymore.

There are day-only jobs, but you gotta put in the time. If you aren't a complete fuckwit, that time isn't overly long. I totally get it if its not your bag, but the jobs up here pay $$$. Most guys underground are clearing 6 figures easy, and if you want O/T, you can usually get it. I know a few guys who push 250k a year in a non-supervisory position. Benefits are solid to. Just throwing the offer out there :)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Four nights, four off, three days, two off, three nights, four off, four days, seven off. The "offs" are 24h blocks of time that start at either 7am or 7pm depending and the rotation spans 28 days.

Yeah mine shifts are like 4-5-5-4 rotation or something. So 4 days on 5 days off 5 nights on 4 days off then repeat at the opposite. I’m actually debating going underground and working that solely for the money

Siochain
May 24, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I've been with my girlfriend for around 18 months now, and things are still pretty awesome. We cook and bake a lot, go to museums and concerts and stuff, love many of the same TV shows, the sex is AMAZING, and she's 100% supportive of me spending a lot of time with my friends without her having to come along. We've had a few minor bumps, but we're both very clear that open communication is the best way to solve them. She's under a lot of stress in relation to her PhD work, and because she's finding it very hard to find new friends here in Denmark, so that is the reason for some of the misunderstandings.

I think we're doing quite well, I'm just a little concerned with all the stories of awesome relationships that turned sour.

10 years with the "wife" here (not married, just, may as well be). As long as you talk, poo poo works out. We've had hiccups, we've had times we wanted to kill each other - but poo poo we've made it through.
We both love cooking and baking, so we do a lot of that together. We share some hobbies, we have our own things to.
Do what works, and just keep talking.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

slidebite posted:

Keep in mind when you kick it, or are incapacitated, there is a lot more to affairs that need to be taken care of than just assets. My sister in law had meager assets, but gently caress me what a pain in the rear end to deal with poo poo.

This x 1000

Wife and I need to update ours. I have a will from like 15 years ago, pre-her. She doesn't have one.

Probably should get that poo poo sorted.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There is, it's called the N2 Elite, and it's a hundred dollars. There is a $20~ish one on Aliexpress, but you have to re-flash it for every different amiibo. The N2 lets you press a button to cycle through them, which could still be a pain when you have 25+ because there's no indicating display to let you know which one you have. The Action Replay one doesn't let you spoof amiibo, it lets you edit the data on the amiibo itself, which is the reason for a lot of the 1-star reviews on Amazon (people are confused as to what it does).

These cards were around $.40 each, so I did still spend $20-30 total on all 50 shown. But, that's the price of, like, 2 of the retail ones, so I'm content with that. This is also an exercise in what you can do with NFC/RFID cards - I learned quite a bit while doing this, and I got to make a new design to share, so it's a win/win for hobby/learning.

Did the same as you. Bought a boatload of the smaller cards off Aliexpress or alibaba or one of the ali-whatever-sites - 50 of them for around $20 shipped. Wrecked a couple figuring them out, and now I have lots of amiibo's for my switch games. As do my friends. Think I need another batch soon, and I want to find printable labels that fit so I don't just have lovely-sharpie-writing on them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

gently caress I want a canoe now

Canoe's own hard. You definitely want a canoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Get a kayak instead. All the good parts of a canoe, only lighter and able to run on half the depth of water.

Either/or.
Used canoe's seem to be cheaper and easier to find around here - people hold onto their kayaks.

• Locked thread