Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ya'll talking about relationships and sex or what not, I'm getting divorced and my ex just thinks I should pay her over $1k a month for the rest of eternity and anything other than that is unreasonable. We split the kids 50/50 too! I am just shaking I don't know what to do. I'm 40 and self-employed what if I get sick?

Just because I make X amount in sales a month does not mean that is what I make. I don't know what to do, very scared. Just so many threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

1k a month for childcare expenses? or alimony?

Alimony. She wants it settled and we both have good lawyers, I meet with mine Thursday again. I am just scared of the unknown and her unreasonable demands.

Yes I end up with kids more than 50% of the time but I am not complaining about that. I mean her calling me and saying her family thinks I am not paying enough as it is now! Insane. She doesn't have a job and thinks she can just bake cakes and clean a few friends houses and then me pay all of her living expenses for the next 15+ years.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

The one advantage of her seeking more on the alimony side, and less on the child support side (if that's what she's doing) is that you can get the alimony dropped if she remarried. Possibly get it reduced or dropped if she shacks up with a dude and you PI it.

If you haven't gotten an attorney this is absolutely where an experienced one pays off. Find out who's the biggest divorce shark in your area and retain them before she does.

We pretty much have the two best lawyers in town when it comes to this, and the lawyers are friends. I have no complaints so far with my lawyer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

That's an American term, it doesn't actually mean anything to me. Is it like maintenance, basically paying living expenses after divorce?

Because if so, I return to a very blunt why?

Because it is a messed up system where the former spouse expects to be "paid" for being married, and in my case she feels that I should have to pay at least enough to house, clothe and feed her for the rest of her life. And wants the new Toyota free and clear. And then also wants to drive by my house multiple times a day to see what I am doing (which is nothing, there was no infidelity or anything).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tomarse posted:

I had to look up the meaning of the word alimony too. What a stupid concept.
I understand splitting the current household assets if you divorce and I understand ongoing child maintenance/support but “alimony” is stupid.

I hope that lawyer does good stuff for you Everdave

thanks man

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Locator posted:

If recall work takes more than a day then the manufacturer should pick it up, but some dealers are lazy and don't want to do that paperwork.

My new Hyundai dealer promised a loaner no matter what (without me
Asking) even on oil changeable which is a bit silly but if it is true (who knows) cool. My new car Toyota dealer is so freaking fantastic I’m sure they would but they even came and picked up my Prius at work for its first scheduled service because “it was raining so bad”. Too bad I had to give that car away to my horrible ex wife.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

I say quit and take the grants, that way you can see how the workload is without getting overwhelmed. Working while schooling sucks in general. Unless you make way more than 7-14k and it'll put you in the starving student category.

When I went back to school I was worried it was going to kick my rear end, so I planned on not working. Turned out that I was even better at school as an adult so after 6 months I went back to work part time to pay bills.

Different topic: Anyone in here experienced with buying a time-share property? This would be a 4 week/yr ownership of a specific house, not a big resort type thing. I'm in the honeymoon phase of it seeming like a great idea so I'm looking for a reality smack. Taxes are fine but the HOA dues appear to be horrendous, and I don't know how the time is scheduled. I guess I should call the realtor and talk myself out of it. Also it appears hard to sell, the current owners paid $47k for this share a few years ago according to zillow, and it's been on the market for over a year and is now $23k after 2 price drops. I can easily afford that and we can rent it out if we don't use it all 4 weeks, but I'm sure we would.

Background: my family has rented the same beach house at new year's for the last 25 years but the owners are retiring so it's no longer available (they told us as we left this year that it was the last time). We also rent a different house for a week every summer, and try to get the same one every time. But it's never available on holidays. We like tradition and going to the same place over and over so the idea of having a place that's ours is appealing.

PLEASE MESSAGE ME AND DO NOT DO THIS, I OWN 5 WEEKS AT A TIMESHARE THAT I PAID BETWEEN $1-50 FOR. PLEASE MESSAGE ME. STOP. DO NOT BUY.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
listen i hate to generalize, but why when going through a divorce do women just jump to they are going to take the kids away from you. ex threatening me all morning with this poo poo. how does it even make sense when she says "if you can't work more and make more to provide for us then i'm going to go to court and get full custody". gently caress off you bitch.

and how does her saying "are you even up yet" and "go back to bed" make any sense when I am asking how soccer practice went last night at 8:30 in the morning and it is hours later, LORD HELP ME

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I’m going to go with “what are mental issues” and “what is the only leverage she has against you”, Alex.

You are certainly correct. My buddy is divorced and we have discovered horrible, filthy things his ex has done (as far as I know mine hasn't). She doesn't even want the kids expects him to have them 80% of the time so she can go gently caress dudes in a hotel and if he ever says he needs a weekend to himself the first thing out of her mouth is "well why don't I just go back to court and get full custody since you don't want to see your kids".

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Her back is to the camera, it's meant to be a silhouette. I do that shot a lot actually, I should mix it up a bit.

Nah, north of lincoln city. But truth is, the whole coast is just gorgeous.

I feel ya man. Divorce is terrible. I'm in year 14, kid's about to turn 16, and I still hate talking to the ex even more than ever. 2 more years.

Thanks yo she sending happy pics of kids tonight (she is bipolar and on meds and drinks on them so yeah life is fun)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Reading reviews of beer (and I guess wine in this case) is always hilarious. People always sound like such smarmy douchebags when writing them.

Did I get drunk and not puke and/or feel like poo poo the next day? 5 Stars in my book.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

Thanks - I'll check into it. Did a search but hard to parse out which ones are legit and which ones are just malware infections themselves :haw:

I use ninite.com and have the download link on a flash drive to super-anti-spyware and malwarebytes on it, it usually can clear enough stuff for me to start the real work at least (if you can connect to the internet)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Catching up, first watch chat: how can you have a $50k Rolex and not sell that? I love watches, have a bunch. All cheap. Man I get asked about this $150 “full metal” Shark brand I scored new on eBay for $42 more than I can tell you. When I’m at the beach people ask all the time about my different Neff watches that I have got for $10-15 off eBay. And all of them keep perfect time (until a random Neff will give up after being in the ocean). I love the look of Rolex and Tag and all that but the money?

And long shot...anyone a tax attorney or have advice for a business owner? I apparently am bad at the books and have underpaid sales tax. Not a lot of money but I do t want to get in trouble. I’ve gotten a letter and it’s keeping me up at night.

Also still going through divorce and if you the praying kind I could use your help

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

No, they won't even redeem the bond because of the amount. So I just need to get over to the post office and get this fucker mailed to the Treasury Dept.

This seems bizarre to me. I have a close relationship with my bank girl and she told me they do not give a flip about anything under 10k and have no requirement to fill out suspicious activity reports under that unless you are doing things like $9900 deposits or withdrawals on the reg. Why is your life so difficult?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Remember Ryan White, the famous kid with AIDS? We moved to central Indiana at the same time as his family. My new school thought I was him and put out a memo to all teachers (without doing any research as he was several years older than me). Thus began three solid years of extreme bullying. I was taunted with chants of AIDS-BOY and brutalized. I can't even remember the number of times I went home bloody. It never stopped, not until we moved away. The school did nothing and we were unable to find a lawyer who thought we could effectively sue over the memo.

So yeah, you'd think I'd have gotten my hands on some guns at some point right?

WTF man

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I was 10 in 87 so I remember how huge a deal Ryan White was then, I can't imagine if they truly thought you were him Jesus

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thoughts on if this would be stupid to consider:

I have a brand new car, only has 1500 miles on it. Would it be idiotic to rent a car for $175 or a SUV for $250 for a week to keep from putting 1500 more miles on it next week on vacation?

Also the rental would have full coverage with no out of pocket from my credit card protection. Thoughts? I am not a rich man but would this cost seem to be a worthy expense?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

That...sounds odd. I've never thought of that. You have already bought the car, paid for insurance, tags, etc so that's sitting in your driveway with value being lost every single day either way.

You're going to have to pay for fuel on a rental so lets call that a wash (assuming they are similar).

I guess the simple way of looking at it is your rental costs higher or lower than 1500 miles of wear and tear on your new car. My total guess is $175 is more than what 1500 miles of wear and tear would do to your car, so my vote would be likely not.

I specifically bought the car to not have to deal with rentals anymore...so I am well aware that this question seems insane.

Using codes and playing around I can get a SUV for $219 if I prepay...I usually go to the beach for 10+ days, this is going to be less than a week and a lot of miles...my (probably insane) thought is would it be better to use and abuse a rental for this trip with nothing to worry about?

That is why I am asking thoughts, please talk me out of this idea if it is stupid. Yes I have a brand new car with full coverage insurance parked in my driveway.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Alright I'll say it.
This idea is stupid, drive your car. You bought it, it's being paid for, it's past the break in period.
It's going to get dirty, scratched, pooped on and something in it is going to break. Might as well be driving it when it all happens.

I want everyone to know I AM LISTENING and you have made me think clearer. I will take the new car and save the $200.

Now onto something else: not for this trip, but can anyone tell me experiences with add-on universal roof racks? Half the reviews on Amazon say they are amazing no problems and the other half say your cargo carrier will fly off the roof and explode and kill everyone on the highway. Why oh why can't all vehicles have factory roof rack options?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Wrar posted:

Thule and Yamika are both good. What car are we talking about? If it flew off of the roof from one of those two brands it's almost assuredly loving Idiots Doing Things.

Hyundai Elantra (4 door, not the GT).

Is the consensus pretty much I need to spend $400+ on Thule or Yakima? Anyone have experience with Rhino Rack? Seems those would run $300 or less.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

You know that $275 you just saved? Spend it on the Thule and you get the benefit for years.

I agree, and I just did that. Managed to get the feet kit, the fit kit and the aeroblades all NEW for under $350 between eBay (15% off coupon today) and Amazon warehouse. I already have a cargo carrier. I don't know if everything will come in time for this trip but I will be using this OFTEN.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Hilarious bad game LPs by some goons. I recommend, but haven't seen them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP9xo3LzRMA&t=1s

I got Thule aeroblades and the boring stuff that goes with should be here before trip

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had a food course in junior high that introduced meats to us by playing a 20/20 dramatic re-enactment of the Jack In The Box food poisoning death spree in California.

It's taken a long time for me to get over my complete fear of food poisoning everyone around me by even looking at raw meat sideways. Now I can (sort of) cook!

What is this real? I am not joking never heard of this

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

"So good it's scary!"

Wow. and those little kids died. I don't even know what to say.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Can we stop this bullshit now y’all shut the gently caress up with race and politics

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress it I'll eat the probe or ban.

That he's a racist piece of poo poo, who got the no politic chat thread implemented the last time. Last time it was about guns, which the current mod loves, so it just got politics in general banned.

In reality he's a small minded, racist gently caress who dog whistles his way through all of these threads each month whenever any of this poo poo comes up. His title is blank because he gets red texts or bans off his lovely posts, which inevitably piss people off.

Then he gets ozmiander to back him up and make it seem like it's okay, to see if the dogwhistle worked and anyone else will come onboard.

Then everyone but those two eat probes or bans off adi (who is normally a great mod) because they agree on one topic. Thankfully that topic isn't the one at hand. Which is the fact that ilkhan is a racist gently caress who continually posts as such with zero consequence in AI.
Real talk I am not even sure if you are racist, or talking about white guilt or what I can’t make sense of what you are saying. Not trolling really I ha e no idea what you are talking/arguing about. Can we just talk about cars and poo poo?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I think Nissan Pulsars are criminally overlooked and I want one let’s chat

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just talk about car stuff or life stuff leave bs out of it please this is my safe space

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just leave man no matter what it costs

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Get out man car greyhound whatever.

Turned 41 today sitting at a bar I have chosen poorly in life. That is all.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

Is it a nice bar at least?

Yes it is a nice place. I wish I could have a do over and only be kind and never sin. But it is what it is.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

Nah gently caress that.

The key thing is to learn from your mistakes.

A mid level rear end in a top hat who doesn't realise he is an rear end in a top hat is indeed an rear end in a top hat forever.

A high level rear end in a top hat who regrets his past and tries to be a better person is indeed a better person.

Hey y’all thanks I just try to help people and love my little girls every day the weight of the world is heavy lately

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Why are the only pit owners the most broken girls I know from high school (20+ years ago). And also those that said kind words to me it means more than I can say. Thank you

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My 2018 has radar that would put my great uncle’s F4 to shame, but this woman was on the phone being a dumbass why is this a question?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
OK I am just asking because a lot of us are cat folks. I apparently have fleas in the house now. Not an infestation but I have found some fleas. What can I do? My house is spotless and I feel so powerless. I haven't let the cat in for a few weeks, my ex wife just started letting her in this past winter. Would really love to hear any advice. I have two kids and they are very sensitive to chemicals and smells and things like that. Help.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don’t see any on the bare white mattresses after getting home from work and was almost relieved but then I found one on my living room chair. So get cat to vet is what I need to do? I won’t be letting her in anymore.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have hardwood floors, will head to petsmart in the morning. Vet can’t get me in this weekend

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

Christ, you paint a depressing little vignette there.

They were be cause I a washing everything that is not tied down but it sounds very sad to me too

everdave fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 24, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If i am literally gone for a week with kids will like these few fleas just die or? Sorry to sound so naive. I am hesitant to bomb because of kids sensitivity but I have found some fleas. I feel disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Bed bugs can live for 18 months without eating and then come back.

How do you even go on if you get bed bugs oh my just so gross.

Also I may Be the only person on earth seriously
Drooling over the new 19 Corolla hatch

• Locked thread