Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EconomyBee
Jun 16, 2010
Lately there's been a trend of increasing boycotts of companies due to affiliation with another company or just something they did. There's the issue with NRA and I just read an article about a popular cellphone case maker Spigen's CEO supported a Webtoon artist that made joke of child rape. There's a boycott going on in Korea and was thinking if these boycotts were effective at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
How effective boycotts are depends heavily on the circumstances, especially in terms of how dependent the boycott target is on public opinion. That mostly means companies that sell directly to the public, but every level of indirection makes it exponentially harder. Most companies do not give a gently caress about public boycotts because they don't deal directly with the public and the companies that they do business with don't say who they're doing business with.

A lot of people wanted to boycott BP after Deepwater Horizon, but BP's crude goes to refineries that don't care where their crude comes from, then gets sent to gas stations that don't care where they get their gas from, so boycotting their crude requires getting multiple levels of the supply chain to care enough about sourcing. Good luck. BP doesn't care what the public thinks, just like Goldman Sachs doesn't care what the public thinks, and most businesses don't care what the public thinks because they're insulated from it.

The NRA doesn't make the majority of its money from membership dues and they're probably not going to lose a lot of membership over a few lost discount perks.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Do you have any actually numbers if boycotts are increasing? People have been boycotting things forever and ever.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anything the left boycotts doesnt seem to work. Chick-fil-a, NRA memberships and gun sales all went up. It like they werent even buying in the first place and the added exposure brought in more customers.

Like Change.org petitions, boycotts just provide an outlet for outrage

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

Anything the left boycotts doesnt seem to work. Chick-fil-a, NRA memberships and gun sales all went up. It like they werent even buying in the first place and the added exposure brought in more customers.

Like Change.org petitions, boycotts just provide an outlet for outrage

Chick fil a boycott was super effective and the company disengaged from like 90% of the vile stuff they were into. Like the owner guy is still poo poo I’m sure but they totally pulled out all their donations and company support of the homophobia stuff the owner had been pushing. Now the only “bad” donations they make is stuff that is ultra blandly Christian that everyone donates, like the Salvation Army. (That is very problematic but is just a normal thing people donate to apolitically at Christmas)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I bought a starbucks and threw it away to show them.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I stopped selling guns at all the stores I own. No joke.

EconomyBee
Jun 16, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do you have any actually numbers if boycotts are increasing? People have been boycotting things forever and ever.

That's true, there's always something going on like that time people boycotted companies selling Ivanka Trump merchandise. Then again, people were saying they're "boycotting" while still shopping at those stores.

Bip Roberts posted:

I bought a starbucks and threw it away to show them.

Um... you filled up their pockets with more money.

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I stopped selling guns at all the stores I own. No joke.

Are you facing any kind of repercussion? It seems one day the news is flooded with NRA affiliated boycotts and the next day there's news of couples renewing vows with assault rifles.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Chick fil a boycott was super effective and the company disengaged from like 90% of the vile stuff they were into. Like the owner guy is still poo poo I’m sure but they totally pulled out all their donations and company support of the homophobia stuff the owner had been pushing. Now the only “bad” donations they make is stuff that is ultra blandly Christian that everyone donates, like the Salvation Army. (That is very problematic but is just a normal thing people donate to apolitically at Christmas)

They released a statement saying they werent funding opposition to same sex marriage. Then they made a private org to funnel money into so that the company wasnt directly funding it. Their sales went up and the customers who boycotted were not missed. The boycott didnt work and the owners are even richer than before. People want tasty food and the politics doesnt factor into the decision for a lot people

It was not effective but the people who got mad need to think it was so it was in their minds

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

Then they made a private org to funnel money into so that the company wasnt directly funding it.

No, they actually stopped.

They still fund like, broadly christian groups and christianity is a curse upon the world or whatever so any generic support for any christian cause implicitly supports any evil it holds but they actually dropped out funding anti-marriage campaigns or anything directly related to it. Like they fund the salvation army, christian youth sports and christian children's abuse shelters and just by being christian affiliated you can find all sorts of problematic stuff, but like, meh? everyone donates to that stuff, even non christian companies donate to that stuff, they donate to very blandly normalized stuff now, not to political causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
They stopped doing dark money stuff/getting anti LGBT passed in Africa because their guy(Pence) is now one step away from n-decade of darkness.

• Locked thread