Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
April Games Chat - More Like CardBORED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was really bad at the dancing mini game. Also I never beat it because apparently as the game goes on and your character gets “older”, your animations during the sword fighting get slower? It was impossible to beat the last pirate guy because of it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

April May was a secretary at BlueCorp and a witness in the murder of Mia Fey.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

oddium posted:

🕇 christ is risen 🕇: april games chat thread

I'm excited too but hold your horses til tomorrow .

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you know you can plug headphones into the PS4 controller

Desperate Character posted:

:aaa:

all that time of my life wasted sleeping when I could have had bloodborne. I tried headphones once but I didnt realize you needed to go to settings to fix it for all game audio

People talk about graphics, 60fps, 4k, but honestly, for me, this is the greatest technological advance that console game has reached.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 31, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

April Chat Thread: Find Five Easter Eggs to Unlock an Achievement

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Wait, tomorrow is Easter and April 1st.

How the hell does that work in Animal Crossing?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I rented Lost Odyssey once back in the day and me and a friend dug everything it was selling. Then we met a bird and it killed us like a dozen times and we never bothered to play it again. Sometimes I wonder if if I missed anything but probably not.

Lost Odyssey has the hardest first boss I've ever encountered in a JRPG. That loving bird is a massive difficulty spike, and the game never even attempts to be that hard again. It's really, really loving weird and suggests that fight was just poorly balanced.

IMO you did miss out, assuming you like Final Fantasy-like JRPGs. It has a lot of elements that remind me of both FFIX and X, but with a timed melee attack system thrown in because why not I guess.

Also I'm just now remembering that I think accessories you equip showed up on character models which I thought was super neat at the time. You could make the main character wear goofy sunglasses just for the stats and they'd show up in cutscenes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Harrow posted:

Lost Odyssey has the hardest first boss I've ever encountered in a JRPG. That loving bird is a massive difficulty spike, and the game never even attempts to be that hard again. It's really, really loving weird and suggests that fight was just poorly balanced.

IMO you did miss out, assuming you like Final Fantasy-like JRPGs. It has a lot of elements that remind me of both FFIX and X, but with a timed melee attack system thrown in because why not I guess.

Also I'm just now remembering that I think accessories you equip showed up on character models which I thought was super neat at the time. You could make the main character wear goofy sunglasses just for the stats and they'd show up in cutscenes.

Yeah it just kind of stole all motivation to continue because I don't recall knowing how close we were getting and we were getting sick of getting wiped instantly. I then recall reading complaints about some worms coming up being even harder and was like nah. No thanks if this is what the games going to be. I did my time with all the SMT games I don't need to do it again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah it just kind of stole all motivation to continue because I don't recall knowing how close we were getting and we were getting sick of getting wiped instantly. I then recall reading complaints about some worms coming up being even harder and was like nah. No thanks if this is what the games going to be. I did my time with all the SMT games I don't need to do it again.

Yeah, that boss is extremely weird. I think it's meant to teach you how to use the guard system--there's this meter in the top-right that lets your front row guys take damage for the back row, if I remember correctly--but I found that I never needed to pay attention to that system again after that boss. Ever. It's not a really useful system but they made the first boss rely on it so much that it sticks out as this massive, ridiculous difficulty spike. I'm sure it turned a lot of people off the game, which is a shame because the rest really isn't very hard at all. I think I remember some worms that were a little tedious but, like any JRPG, as you level up and get more spells and tools it gets harder for the game to really stonewall you.

It's never getting remastered or rereleased probably but if it is I'd encourage you to give it another shot, assuming you like that type of story-driven JRPG. It's pretty unique and cool, it's just that one boss is hilariously overtuned, and naturally it just had to be the first one.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Beware the Idededes of the April Chat Thread

Dedede! Get out of my Labo-ratory!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gettin bfast

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Looper posted:

Dedede! Get out of my Labo-ratory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1KQL7lGilA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Games Chat: April is the Kiryuest Month

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
April Chat: Father/Son Bonding Time

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
moar like cardboard/glue bonding time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can't wait for the Labo instructional video showing Bowser and Bowser Jr. building a cardboard mech suit

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m very excited to play 2 games of Battletech tabletop next month and then play the Battletech computer game!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

exquisite tea posted:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

3rding this title. Hopefully by then I'll be employed and purchase games again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Post in OP TIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkMVQRijvd8

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kiryu gonna deck a great white shark in the face.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o5SxC4ZIfY&t=2038s

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish having access to the good Tony Hawk games on digital services was a thing. I know there's a game on PSN but it's pretty barebones. I've also heard the new one smacks of rushjob, which is sad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
get thug2 and the mod that lets you play as shrek

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish having access to the good Tony Hawk games on digital services was a thing. I know there's a game on PSN but it's pretty barebones. I've also heard the new one smacks of rushjob, which is sad.

The new one was so bad the always online servers are already shut down

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pamnbHG_xwY

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm going to go buy a new Nintendo 3DS Family of Products right now since my old one broke and being without a DS of any kind is severely limiting

The 3DS was such a good system

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Samuringa posted:

People talk about graphics, 60fps, 4k, but honestly, for me, this is the greatest technological advance that console game has reached.

It's amazing but my only problem is I have a really good pair of 'phones (well, pretty good anyway, senn hd598s) and the controller is in no way powerful enough to drive those

so I have to use a weird rear end arrangement with an astro mixamp pro

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

April Chat Thread: Kiryu Drives a Mech Into Battle

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V88tHjE5OaE

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tony Hawk 5 was a cynical low effort cash grab even for Activision. It was made because the license was expiring and they wanted to wring out what little money they could. While the company that made it never ever made a good Tony Hawk game, it can't entirely be blamed on them because they were given almost no time to do it. It was literally released on the last day they had the license. The most hilarious thing about this is the game disc itself just had practice mode and the create a park mode and need a patch bigger than the game to actually be playable. The reason this happened was because the game wasn't finished but the release date wasn't moveable due to the license expiring. They needed the time it would take the print the discs to finish the game, so they put an unfinished build on the disc so they could have something in stores in time and tried to wrap things up in the most playable state they could in the meantime. The best part of that is because they no longer have the license, they can never distribute a version of the game disc that actually has the whole game on it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sonic Manic continues being the weird alternate reality good version of Sonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDYbwdEn7rs

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I very much enjoyed that they kept Sonic silent and just let his expressions and actions do the talking.

He still comes off as a smug rear end bastard haha.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tyson hesse is a good animator

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

classic sonic is such a good design. modern sonic..... no thanky.........

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
What amazes me about Tyson Hesse is the fact he was the one drew those hilarous comics of Sonic that were over the top (Knuckles the Nipple Echdina) and years later here he is animating/drawing for SEGA.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shindragon posted:

What amazes me about Tyson Hesse is the fact he was the one drew those hilarous comics of Sonic that were over the top (Knuckles the Nipple Echdina) and years later here he is animating/drawing for SEGA.

Oh what? He did Boxer Hockey?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
You’d be a fool not to post in the april games chat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

I was really bad at the dancing mini game. Also I never beat it because apparently as the game goes on and your character gets “older”, your animations during the sword fighting get slower? It was impossible to beat the last pirate guy because of it.

Dancing on swashbuckler difficulty is some of the best fun you can have with this game.

It needs a re-remake

• Locked thread