Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
choose book long enough, and book chooses back at you
This poll is closed.
What it is Like to go to War by Karl Marlantes 1 5.88%
The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum by Heinrich Böll. 1 5.88%
The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel 2 11.76%
Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders 9 52.94%
Lady Susan by Jane Austen 4 23.53%
Total: 17 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
1) What it is Like to go to War by Karl Marlantes

Suggested via PM

quote:

Beloved in GiP and readily available on kindle, this is a sweeping exploration of the author's experiences as a company commander in Vietnam, their aftermath, and his 40 year path to healing which leads through almost all of the world's major religious texts. We discover that coming to grips with the experience of combat is a battle as old as language, find real, comforting answers at the feet of Arjuna and Lord Vishnu, recieve prescriptions on helping our friends, family, and neighbors who struggle with the spiritual wound of PTSD, and are reminded that as engaged citizens choosing and influencing policymakers only we can prevent such carnage.

2) The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum

quote:

The story deals with the sensationalism of tabloid news and the political climate of panic over Red Army Faction terrorism in the 1970s Federal Republic of Germany. The main character, Katharina Blum, is an innocent housekeeper whose life is ruined by an invasive tabloid reporter and a police investigation when the man with whom she has just fallen in love turns out to be wanted by the police because of a bank robbery. The book's fictional tabloid paper, Die Zeitung (The Newspaper), is modelled on the actual German Bild-Zeitung.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Honour_of_Katharina_Blum

3)Yann Martel's The High Mountains of Portugal

mllaneza posted:

I found it to be wonderfully surreal, brilliantly imaginative, and deeply insightful.

https://www.npr.org/2016/02/05/463861486/confronting-loss-while-scaling-the-high-mountains-of-portugal

4) Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

anilEhilated posted:

Have we done Lincoln in the Bardo yet? It is staring at me accusingly everytime I turn my Kindle on.
Also it's supposed to be both relatively simple and good.

5) Lady Susan by Jane Austen

quote:

Lady Susan is a short epistolary novel by Jane Austen, possibly written in 1794 but not published until 1871 [that is, posthumously]. . . . Lady Susan is a selfish, attractive woman, who tries to trap the best possible husband while maintaining a relationship with a married man. She subverts all the standards of the romantic novel: she has an active role, she's not only beautiful but intelligent and witty, and her suitors are significantly younger than her. Although the ending includes a traditional reward for morality, Lady Susan herself is treated much more mildly than the adulteress in Mansfield Park.

http://janeausten.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_Susan

quote:

Lady Susan promises much. The eponymous leading character is intelligent, accomplished and utterly amoral. . . . . Many novels of the late 18th century were, like Lady Susan, written entirely in letters. In her youth, Austen, along with many of her contemporaries, was a fan of Samuel Richardson, who turned epistolary novels into a high art. In his fiction, resourceful young women record their efforts to resist the advances of scheming libertines. The young Austen signals her audacity by turning the figure of the predatory male seducer into a highly unconventional (and middle-aged) seductress.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/may/20/jane-austen-love-and-friendship-wilt-stillman-film-novella-lady-susan

Recently made into the film Love & Friendship, which changes Austen's ending significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
poll open for three days. feel free to comment in support of your picks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
To defend Katarina Blum as a pick, it's much more contemporary and applicable to the US than the summary seems.

It asks very important questions about the ethics of a free press and reflects on a lot of the dangers on modern alternative sources of news like Alex Jones

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
you never put my books on the poll hieronymous

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you never put my books on the poll hieronymous

my bad your post was on page 1 of the thread and I only looked at page 2

that said I think we've polled dictionary of the khazars before and it didn't get grabbed

It *would* be a big help if people explain why their suggestions are good, it's not physically possible for me to have read all the things everyone else on the forum has read

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For the record I really don't know much more about Lincoln in the Bardo, it's just got good references from people I generally trust with that and I apparently need a little push to read it as opposed to yet another book about wizards.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it's insanely good

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I'll vote for Lincoln in the Bardo next month, when my hold on it from the library should come through :(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Lincoln in the Barfo was easily the best boom I read last year.

"I don't really like/know Lincoln." It doesn't matter. The book is more of a meditation on grief, death, the afterlife, hope, fear, optimism... If you know that Lincoln was a president during the Civil War, you know enough to enjoy the book.

It also is very funny, exciting, heartwarming, slightly experimental, and trippy. It's my favorite ghost story I've read.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Lincoln in the Barfo

Sounds like a vomitous good time

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I just found a paperback copy of Lincoln in the Bardo and would be willing to reread it - it was far and away one of the best books I read last year.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What the gently caress is a bardo anyway

Guess we're all gonna find out

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a liminal state between death and rebirth as described in the Tibetan Book of the Dead, OP

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Not something I'd normally suggest, but consider going the audiobook route for LIncoln In The Bardo if it is picked. Stellar, stellar work was done by a full cast (two main performers are Nick Offerman and David Sedaris, but it's a cast of 150+). Heck, read it in print and then listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For their to be a continuity between rebirths, there must be something between births. This something is called the bardo. There is a very old doctrine of the bardo, where the mindstream of the dead follows from the condition of thought at the death of the person, activating one of the infinite karmic traces they carry, which generates the form of the new incarnation

The experience of the bardo is variously described in Tibetan tantras, but is generally described as dreamlike, beginning with the immediate and direct experience of clear light, that resolves into culturally determined forms and then less coherent ones as you progress on. It’s a terrifying place, not the least being that if you gently caress up once, you can wind up making a bad migration despite a lifetime of preparation.

Quoted verbatim from a friend who knows about Tibetan Buddhism.

• Locked thread