Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Starshark posted:

I don't know much about international economics and the ABC article on this subject is annoying horseshit - what are the consequences for the US of Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminium?
I'm not a studied expert on the current American manufacturing or agricultural economy but in general terms:

Domestically (USA) - Everything that has steel or aluminium in it just got more expensive to buy. Manufacturers in the US will suffer (eg) Car manufacturers will face the choice of passing on the cost and becoming even less competitive or being less profitable. America's most protected sector, agriculture, will face a hostile export market and require more subsidy. So in a single motion the US cost of living just went up significantly placing pressure on inflation while simultaneously depressing several key sectors of the economy severely and only lightly damaging all the rest. In most countries if you could do a single thing that would have the exact opposite effect people would be falling over themselves to achieve it and take the credit.

Internationally - Lol. The biggest own goal in the entire history of globalisation. All of the subtle (but significant) stuff the US was trying to envoke in trade agreements to protect America's biggest commercial assets will be ignored or repudiated. Current trade deals can safely be torn up (The US just broke a bunch of them). New deals will be negotiated in an environment of the utmost hostility.

This was the pie to the face with a complimentary bucket of white wash down the trousers all to protect a bunch of aging oligarchs who didn't invest in better production techniques when it would have mattered most. Steel production is 0.3% of US GDP and shrinking (Source https://www.statista.com/statistics/191961/value-added-by-us-primary-metal-manufacturing-as-a-percentage-of-gdp/) They are(were) THE BIGGEST importer of steel ( 26.9 million tonnes PA verses a domestic output of 6.7 million tonnes PA)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
They're not even hot.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
You do realise that targeting auspol goons is going to seriously distort the data set. (ie) very few right wing authoritarian poo poo smears will be sampled :wave: craig

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

Caleb wouldn't want to step on Bill Leak's toes.
Well they are getting a little smooshy.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

TERFs are just mad they have to put up with their periods.
mlyp.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol of course van badham supports ponies
qft

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Dude McAwesome posted:

I’m the parent cutting into her profit margins by charging her for transport and consumables.
School yard bully taunts, "Your Mum's a rent seeker!"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hiddenmovement posted:

I have no idea why you guys don't just call the Ombudsman over this horseshit. The internet just dropping the gently caress out for days at a time is not acceptable in this day and age.

CrazyTolradi posted:

The TIO requires you to first attempt to resolve the issue with the ISP and go through their process before you can lodge a complaint with them.

Which is all well and good right up to the point where the hideously under resourced TIO (Which is a private enterprise body NOT a statutory authority :psyduck:)doesn't even get to your complaint for a decade.

https://www.tio.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/253643/2017_0929-TIO-Report-Final.pdf

https://www.smh.com.au/business/small-business/small-business-complaints-to-telecommunications-industry-ombudsman-soar-20171017-gz2jzh.html

J O K E

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
And for a comedy pick me up:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/laundy/9522114

quote:

'Massive impact': Laundy issues warning over super union Wednesday 7 March 2018 7:37AM (view full episode)

The country's industrial landscape is set to be transformed through the creation of a mega trade union which business leaders are warning will entrench unlawful conduct and will be a disaster for supply chains from the "pit to the port". The CFMEU has been given the go ahead by the Fair Work Commission to merge with the Maritime Union and the Textile, Clothing and Footwear Union giving it more than 140,000 members and a revenue stream of close to $150 million a year. TCF National Secretary Michele O'Neil says the super union will write a new chapter in Australian workplace relations.

Best bit? Laundy denying that his policies are like those of Nazi Germany.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

The father ends up being Warren Truss *Checks nuts* Bill Shorten.
Are we accepting of Truecrimesweekly as benchmark journalism these days?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
As commonwealth employees it is explicitly a crime under the Crimes Act 1914 (Part 6).

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Birdstrike posted:

Disclosure of information by Commonwealth officers?
Sorry you are right (Been twenty odd years now whoops). It's the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997 (Section 4.10) http://www.apsc.gov.au/publications...ealth-resources

quote:

APS employees must be scrupulous in the use of Commonwealth resources, including money, credit cards, goods, services, vehicles, office equipment, official records (including electronic records) and telecommunications and information technology applications.

Commonwealth resources should not be used for private gain. However, employees may have limited private use of office equipment, for example reasonable and necessary telephone or email communication with family. Employees should be aware of agency-specific policies that outline the private use of Commonwealth equipment.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

froglet posted:

Alternatively, convince every period-haver to free bleed everywhere, I imagine it'd quickly become an essential when men start having to see blood everywhere...
Not sure this actually helps with the cause of equality but Sappho thought it was a plan.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, which is dumb because it leads to arbitrary decisions based on where food is cooked, or what particular healthcare/wellbeing products count as essential.

Put the GST on everything and then fix any imbalances with the transfer system. If people can't afford tampons then just give them away for free.
Or get rid of a regressive tax all together in favour of ones more suitably aligned to improving social outcomes. MUCH less paperwork for business.

Is this a really subtle comment on the realignment of jobs post feminism or furth evidence that you have to be struck by a hammer to the occipital lobe* to be a cartoonist these days.

EDIT - 'Bad blood' hurf derp

* Or provide medical evidence of a similar injury.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

Galaxy brain gst is inherently regressive and thus anti feminist regardless of what exemptions apply
Not if the matriarchy are in charge!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

GoldStandardConure posted:

UM ITS CALLED MANGA NOT ANIME
No Pantsu!? :confused: Why posted!?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
How do you get the gig torturing him? Asking for a friend.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Birdstrike posted:

ergo all my problems are caused by immigrantsanime.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/us-north-korea-meeting-a-moment-of-truth/9538004

When did Micheal Kirby fall off a ladder and hit his head?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Chadzok posted:

The value is still there for people who can claim the franking credits to reduce tax burden, which labor is not removing. The cash refunds are only in the case of someone claiming a total income of less than $18k. This would be roughly $500K invested, give or take. If a couple was pulling this evil stunt between the two of them, they would have maximum combined share assets of roughly 1 million.

Of course this imaginary couple probably shouldn't have invested their entire portfolio on the basis of receiving franking credits, and anyone who puts all their money into Australian shares, franking credits or no, deserves to have their money taken away from them.

Still, my point is that is totally disingenuous to say this is targetting the 'rich end of town', who will still use franking credits against their tax burden til the day that they die, comfortably laying in their grave far above the tax-free threshold.
The issue is that it is a recently installed part of the basis underlying the structural deficit. It is accelerating. Not changing this back is the opposite of proper economic management.

Also:-

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Chadzok posted:

bambi with a helmet I do not grok
:ssh: Unrelated trolling for ongoing transportation chat :ssh:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

If Labor were serious about the budget deficit they'd roll back the howard era tax cuts.

But har har har. We'll pay for boomers profligacy forever.
This is exactly what they are doing :raise: Not all but ffs.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

Including TISM.
*Gritted teeth*

YOU

TAKE

THAT

BACK

MATE

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The main issue with the tax dividend snafu is that since it came in funds managers and investment advisers have been structuring financial matters to exploit it. As a result, with more and more people taking it up the budget cost is accelerating. It needs to be brought under control, and the sooner the better. Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs (etc.)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Greeks are white now?
See multiculturalism works!

The Dutton South Africa furore is loving hilarious. First they came for the actual NAZIs....

CASE STUDY - [REDACTED]

Susan, Jane and James can blow me.
This delivers a $1,500 reduction in [REDACTED]'s monthly sex worker expenses which moves them into a higher tax bracket.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 16, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If I was Labor I'd make sure I had a good answer for Susan's case study because it's the one I can see generating actual sympathy.
100,000/ (31,771 - 29,254) = 39.7. Susan can top up her TAX PAYER funded pension by using HER OWN loving MONEY for the next 39.7 years at which point she will be 109.7 years old. Yes this does require a slow draw down of her capital that is providing her ~ $3,500 PA. She doesn't have to do it all at once however and may actually make money on the sales too.

tl;dr *WAH* I'm sitting on a huge sack of money please won't someone give me a hand out.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I know the substance of the answer is "just draw down on it", and I don't disagree with it (or the policy). That's not my point.

She's on 32k a year and the average super balance for 70 year old women is 110k. It's really easy to present her as an average battler being slugged with a tax hit despite doing everything right, especially when you do simple poo poo like mix up mean and median like I just did.
Then just go with the tl;dr part. This is exactly what the ALP did.

The real problem is that these arrangements have only been exploited since they were introduced. They are now being sold as tailored financial management products and are accelerating the effect on the structural budget deficit. They have to stop. It isn't really a choice at this point. And a final reiteration:

When Susan sells the notional 3 or 4 grands worth of shares she is likely to make a significant capital gain. The whole "100K" invested boondoggle is a masterpiece in misleading. If I invested "100K" in a share portfolio that is providing me ~ 6% returns in dividends then it is 'worth' 106K at the end of the first year. This is only by standard accounting. Once you introduce the market side of things the shares that were worth 100K at the start of the year which have provided an EOFY dividend of 6K are probably 'worth' around 120K. You know how the ASX keeps going up?

So maybe a better response to 'Susan' is:

"Carping old rent seeker living on the public teat complains about the taste of her magic pudding." It really is that obviously egregious.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I've been trying to put this to bed but if you are going to go after the ALP perhaps you should remember this:

quote:

On 1 July 2012, the tax-free threshold was raised from $6000 to $18200.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/tripling-tax-free-threshold

Now before the ALP did that, even 'modest' 100K share portfolios would result in a taxable income. Which of the shiny giveaways do you want boomer poo poo smears?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

You used to be better than QLD
The lowest of low bars.

Tokamak posted:

Give me a bullet train, or give me death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-18/sa-election-jay-weatherill-to-resign-as-labor-leader-after-loss/9560238

Weatherill (aka weather nothing) resigns.

Of course Malformed Turdball takes this as a sign that coal is the future.

quote:

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull claimed the Liberal Party's win was an endorsement of the federal government's energy policy. The prime minister spoke to incoming Mr Marshall this morning after his win ended 16 years of Labor government in the state. Mr Weatherill was the most vocal opponent of the federal government's National Energy Guarantee, Mr Turnbull said. "Jay Weatherill said this was a referendum on energy policy," he said. "The people have spoken and spoken in favour of our policies which is to support affordable and reliable energy to ensure that we can meet our Paris commitment, and at the same time ensure that we can keep the lights on and indeed afford to keep the lights on."

Thanks SA we really needed a self destructive short sighted energy policy in this country.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
But what does this mean for Kevin Rudd's leadership ambitions?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If I'm Turdball Anidav is definitely NTATA.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gorilla Salad posted:

As deeply evil as Pell is, even he couldn't be so arrogant as to think he'd walk away from all this without a scratch?
He was already getting 'scratched'. I think his end game is to cast enough doubt on the accusations (and inevitably the accusers) that he escapes formal censure. This has been all the churches game from the get go. Obfuscate and delay until there are no victims left to answer to. Kind of like mesothelioma but with more priest sperm.

The Peccadillo posted:

Some awful mod bastard: let's chase out and exclude a mentally ill goatherd who posts like a prophet, that person doesn't rule at all
No actually this was done in sadness out of an actual imperative to act.

quote:

Type Date Horrible Jerk Punishment Reason Requested By Approved By
PERMABAN 03/19/18 03:05pm a man of vision OK I can't not hit you for this one Avs. R. Guyovich FactsAreUseless

a man of vision posted:

after years of dedication to my craft i transcended the old probation/ban system and became a being of pure energy that can only be stopped by the most powerful weapon available to the admin team. in fact if i stopped threatening to kill the president they'd probably stop banning me, but unfortunately that was the mission i was put on the green earth to carry out and i won't let it be stifled by a gaggle of unpaid computer men

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

norp posted:

The peak buyers will hold out as long as they can for the old rents, but that can only go on for so long until they are forced to sell or accept a loss.
Well that depends. If you are a landlord that owns a significant number of properties in one area and owes little or nothing on them, sadly more common than you'd imagine, then "for so long" may be measured in decades. A vacant property with a nominally large rent is better than a rented property at a discount because this would drag down rents in the rest of your portfolio.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I don't have that short of a memory.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Hollandia posted:

Just found out the union most likely to cover me is the QLD CPSU - before I contact them to join, are they secret Tories or anything?
In general the CPSU is one of the most left progressive of all unions. However individual branches may be totally hosed. I'm looking at you CPSU (TOB).

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Dimebag posted:

Oh look forward to sniffer dogs everywhere just like here in NSW. That's seems to be the LNP war on drugs policy, spend a shitload for very little positive effect. Unless that effect is funneling money to their donors.
Welcome to the new normal. Armed police with attack dogs. This is necessary because FFFFFFAAAAAAAARRRRRTT :hitler:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Look the only humane way to solve the white refugee crisis in South Afrika is to disrupt the people smuggler's business model. Also does this count as a an Amethyst melt down? It's been a while and I forget what the gold standard was.

P.S. Arguing against open borders by citing Israel is loving hilarious.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Amethyst posted:

And yet no one here has mustered an argument against the notion. If you can't bring yourself to put the slightest effort into defense of the manifestly absurd idea of near-future open border immigration it may be a sign that you don't actually believe in it.
Can I have have a new straw man? This one is stale and lifeless.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

BBJoey posted:

i mean the point seems pretty straightforward; the british opening the borders of the mandate of palestine to all jews resulted in an influx of jewish immigrants and subsequent disenfranchisement and displacement of the palestinian population

i’m not going to debate the accuracy or relevance of said point to the discussion of open borders because i don’t give a poo poo and amethyst is using his typical style, but this isn’t that complex
No point in 'debating' it:

1/Amythest
2/A mono culture being relocated into another mono culture has zero correspondence to any actual open or multicultural situation.
3/The whole phrase 'open border' is meaningless until defined in some way. The actual existence of any border that was 100% open is effectively vanishingly small in comparison to all other situations. The best example I can think of is colonialism (eg) Terra Nullis. Even then, once the Brits raised the flag they weren't keen on the Dutch or the French participating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hiddenmovement posted:

I agree lets turn this into the foodie thread

Essendon have committed some shocking apple turnovers, but the two new guys from Adelaide cook really great, Doedee in particular.

gay picnic defence posted:

Even though the costs of warehousing and distribution should be coming down due to better warehousing and stock management software the one's I'm familiar with are very unwilling to decrease their margins. I think the end game is for the distributors to turn themselves into large online stores that bypass the retail outlets altogether.
There are a large range of goods that this might work well for but there is some retail that customers will never ignore. Tire fitters (etc). Everyone in the supply chain in Australia has been suckling at a very generous teat for so long that disruption can only be a good thing. There is however some baby in the bathwater.

• Locked thread