Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

The Peccadillo posted:

Why are the protestations always about shooting pigs, there are like fifty people who shoot pigs and about six of them do it for good reason

Because 'it makes me feel better about my micropenis' is harder to convince the public to support. Everyone hates feral pigs though. This is more about the culture wars and doing something the rednecks know the greenies hate rather than doing something that will have any real impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

How does listeria get inside a rockmelon? Or is it only those pre-cut ones that people are getting sick from?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

lol watch them lose both by elections because he tried to sit on the fence and voters in both seats told him to get hosed.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

froglet posted:

The strange thing is he might win if he just says "coal is hosed and we need to find new industries for people to work in. Let's say no to Adani and instead yes to [some random clean energy industry].".

People are okay with bad news if you follow it up with "but we'll do X instead".

Oh wait Adani want to set up shop in Queensland, my bad.

The reef is still dead either way.

That'd make sense. There's probably a bunch of union or factional hacks who won't let him say that for some reason though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

froglet posted:

Not a joke question, but... What could the union's actually do if he put it out there that coal needs to die. I mean, they can't join the libs, they'd get screwed over, and the greens would agree with that statement...

He'd lose the support of the factional hacks aligned to that union, and probably get rumbled for someone more spineless.

I would have thought it would be better for the workers if we made a planned, controlled break from coal mining with a large series of infrastructure projects to take in the affected workers (because the alternative is a sudden closure of mines as coal prices collapse), and I would have thought that if it was good for the workers then the union would be right behind it. But while I support the union movement I'd not be surprised in the slightest if there was some powerbroker at the top of the CFMEU or whoever who doesn't want that to happen because it might mean people joining a different union, which would cost that person influence.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Can't you claim the costs of a wireless modem (or whatever you buy as a temporary replacement in order to access the internet) from your provider if they gently caress up your internet?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Minister for Women Kelly O'Dwyer has warned the "me too" movement could "silence the very women it wants to help".
In her first significant speech since taking on the portfolio, Ms O'Dwyer said the global movement - which began with sexual assault allegations against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein and generated investigations into several high-profile Australians - had sent a message on the need to end harassment.
"But as the 'me too' movement continues to sweep the world, we need to think about the implications - both good and bad - that come with the airing of allegations in a public forum," she said in a speech ahead of International Women's Day on Thursday.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bill Shorten’s hardening indifference to Adani’s proposed coal mine has unnerved his Queensland colleagues, who fear there will be a regional backlash for the ALP if they can’t promise jobs on top of jobs for FIFO workers from out of state.

Speaking to inner-Melbourne constituents today, Mr Shorten today threw out another position on the $16 billion Adani mine, saying: “I don’t support it because it doesn’t add up commercially and environmentally. It is the same project, it’s the same proposition – just I’m having to talk to environmentalists in Victoria right now, and this is what I’ve decided to say”

The Opposition Leader’s position on the mine has previously been less strident.

Even today, during a media conference alongside South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill, Mr Shorten offered an alternative, more nuanced view.

Pressed by a reporter on what shadow cabinet’s policy was on the Carmichael mine, he replied: “I have been through it time and time again and what I would like to say about this particular issue that has the potential to become a policy that actually sets the Labor party apart from the current government, is…”

“gently caress, I mean, um, the thing with Adani is, wait sorry who’s asking this question?”

“Where are you from mate?”

After being informed that the question was directed to him by a random journalist from Adelaide, Shorten said he’s not sure why he’s being asked this by someone who should be focusing on the very real issues facing his home state.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I wonder how many of them are lefties who have come just so they can tweet all the funny bits?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

2 guys 1 fish (don't google it)

i googled it :whitewater:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

I don't know what it is about level crossings, but the issue certainly seems to bring out a particular type of loony.

Do they actually believe it or is it just nimby types who have realised no one else gives a gently caress about the property prices along the sky rail route and just want to drive to work with less interruption?

Whitlam posted:

Batman by-election: Di Natale caught up in Greens bad blood

So is there just going to be one story a week from now until the by-election? Feedback I'm hearing from others on the ground is people are saying "if her own Party doesn't support her, why should I?"

Surely a Greens MP in parliament is better than no MP in parliament plus whatever long term reputational damage has been done to the party by all of this. Maybe they have a legitimate grievance, maybe it's just self serving politicking but surely if you have any kind of desire to see party values become law you don't start loving the party in the middle of an election campaign.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zenithe posted:

I work with a guy I know was a bit odd and antisocial. Some time later he shared his thoughts on some.... interesting energy generation ideas, and declared an enormous boner for Elon Musk.

Imagine my shock when he turned out to have lovely opinions on women, and even tried the old garbage truck gender disparity argument. Haven't heard that one in years.

What is it with shitheads like that and technology, nuclear power and so on? Maybe it's like autism but instead of trainsets and anime they prefer nuclear reactors.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What's the issue with using immigration as a policy lever to achieve some objective? In the current context of low wage growth and high under employment it makes sense to squeeze the labor pool a bit by reducing the intake of immigrants, and if we ever have another mining boom and unemployment falls to 3% or whatever it would make sense to increase our immigration intake.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hooman posted:

Underemployment, non existent wage growth and imported temporary workers are a totally discussion about immigration policy levers than infrastructure HTH. Also again, these aren't problems with immigration as much as wealth transfer policies, casualisation, worker disempowerement and union busting. Immigration creates growth, who benefits from that growth is based on government policy not immigration itself.

457 visas are total dogshit though and should have been run out of town with pitchforks years ago, so I guess I agree with you there.

Identifying something that sounds like a lovely dogwhistle isn't actually an argument in favor of the opposite. I honestly don't know what Australia should be doing population wise, whether we should be looking to grow, maintain or shrink. Placing blame with immigration and thus immigrants for the issues we have in this country is total bullshit though and I'm mad at that.

How much growth are they creating though? If a 1.5% increase in population through immigration is producing a 1.5% increase in GDP all it's doing is costing more in infrastructure and papering over stagnant economic growth in other areas.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I hear they have quite the youth outreach program too.

Golden Dawn. It sounds so nice doesn't it?

Mythic Dawn, Golden Dawn.

I hope Golden Dawn becomes the name of the epoch that begins with the release of Trump's piss tapes

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He could lose his seat.

I thought the LNP had successfully lobbied the AEC to include a racist enclave from the seat next door in Potatoo Man's seat in the upcoming redistribution.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Recoome posted:

How do I become an inner-city elite? Sounds good

It's loving great. You get to strut around all day with your designer skinny jeans riding up your crack while you tell hard working battlers they are wrong about stuff

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Voting maps from the Batman by-election: http://www.tallyroom.com.au/33097

Wasn't that the opposite of what was expected, with the 'Greenest' booths being in the south of the electorate?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's important to note that the areas where the Greens polled strongest are where the RMIT and LaTrobe campuses are.

Yeah but wasn't Northcote the reason the state seat went to the Greens?

---------------------------------

I'll have to end my lease soon. It's rolled over to a periodical contract thing because neither me or the landlord did anything about a new lease when the first one ran out. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Basically want to cut off as many routes for those dicks to gently caress me over when I leave. The house was in pretty hosed condition when I moved in and I'm fairly confident I can have it in a better state when I move out than it was when I moved in but I'm still a tad worried they'll pull some stunt like rip up a floorboard, and a bunch of dry rot and try to pin it on me soomehow.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Jay has also spoken out against offshore detention so Jay For PM imho.

Because he actually cares? Or because shutting the Woomera detention center cost SA jobs?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Most of the orthodox jews who give a gently caress about what their member thinks of israel would be voting LNP anyway, wouldn't they?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

JBP posted:

They vote for Danby. He's the man wrt Israel.

So maybe if he quits the ALP primary vote will drop below that of the greens

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Anidav posted:

Why does NSW have two competing fire services??

This way the people can let the free market decide who puts out their bushfires

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'm torn about wanting a recession on the LNP's watch vs the ALP. Unless it's right on the cusp of an election the LNP will almost certainly use it as an excuse to go full austerity and give everyone a proper fisting, while at least I trust the ALP to be competent enough to stave off the worst of it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

If a little hardship is what finally encourages people in Australia to eat the rich, then so be it

Except if there are any lessons to be taken from other parts of the world it is just as likely to encourage people to eat the muslims

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

I've thought about it and I can see some good in a small fee per parcel. Cheap Chinese goods are allowed to come into the country for next to nothing and local retailers can't hope to compete because they actually have to pay for shipping. It's ridiculous that local mail carriers have to eat the cost of that shipping as well.

There are obvious problems with collecting the revenue, and I'm aware this will affect other nations mail as well, and I don't trust this government not to gently caress it up, and it may run afoul of international mailing agreements. But I don't have an issue with forcing businesses that have gotten a free ride for the last decade to actually pay for the services they use.

I think I heard Jon Faine say the proposal was only going to be applied to online vendors that have over $75,000 in imports

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I also blame the national distributors gouging everyone.

This.

Even though the costs of warehousing and distribution should be coming down due to better warehousing and stock management software the one's I'm familiar with are very unwilling to decrease their margins. I think the end game is for the distributors to turn themselves into large online stores that bypass the retail outlets altogether.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

I think it's been said before that it does, but people outraged about the labor plan probably don't actually understand how the credits work, or even necessarily have them, it'll be blind "AR PENSIONERS" akin to the "CARBON TAX ARRGBLEEAAARGH" campaigns run by the excessively wealthy.

Part of the issue is the LNP being deliberately misleading by failing to make the distinction between net income and taxable income. It's all just poor Audrey and Reg who have worked hard all their lives and now somehow get by on a taxable annual income of $2 each plus a six figure, tax free superannuation payout per year but big mean old labor wants to take away the $25,000 of free money they get from the ATO.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

Vegetarian fare needs to improve a bit first. A lot of the time when I go out vegetarian options are frilly little lightweight meals designed for 45 kilo hipster girls. Much of the time I end up getting the meat option simply because I'll need 5 of those overpriced herb bread and dip platters to fill me up. Its a godsend when I actually find places that will provide a hearty, filling vegetarian meal.

And why the gently caress is vegetarian pasta only like a buck cheaper? That pumpkin is 2$ a kilo at the shops, beef starts at 15$.

Yeah, even vegetarian lasagna or moussaka or whatever seems like an entre compared to the meat filled version. Pump that poo poo full of quorn or TVP or something, not some watery tomato based liquid.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

BBJoey posted:

cory has finally realised how stupid he is; he’s going to get thrown out next election and he’s burnt the goodwill of his former mates in the lnp so they won’t be offering him cushy jobs once he’s out of parliament. a spectacular own goal.

I'm sure the ACL will throw him a bone

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I like Jon Faine but he does seem to have the occasional brain fart.

Is there a way to find out where my nearest NBN node is? I'm moving to a new place and I've gone up and down the street using Google street view, and can't see anything that looks like a node (admittedly the camera car went though on bin day and distinguishing a node from a container of garbage is tricky) and now I'm worried the nearest one will be loving miles away.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Periphery posted:

If the services of volunteers are required to keep the community safe then they should not be volunteers, they should be paid staff who are fully and comprehensively trained with regular skills maintenance. In my experience, there's no way you can have volunteers commit the required time to get them up to the required standards and keep them there.

I agree. It's pretty poo poo that the coast guard here is almost entirely volunteers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

light for the lost posted:

my fleshy torso breasts tumble threadward

• Locked thread