Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Dimebag posted:

Oh ok.

Just to ignite the worst state conversation again. Let's build some rail into heavily used choke points for the reason of shuttling the workers into the second airport. St Mary's and Campbeltown, like what the actual gently caress?

The Badgerys rail line will likely be an extension from the current Leppington station. The connection to St Marys I’ve never seen discussed but would likely form part of that Leppington extension and any connection to Campbelltown would likely be via the creation of a new triangle near Glenfield. The actual impacts of train running *should* be minimal for both Campbelltown and St Marys given projects already running for the heavy rail network.

*Edit* The other option is that the triangle doesn’t happen and instead a line is build through Oran Park and Smeaton Grange towards Campbelltown. That would require tunnelling though but creates added benefit by removing some of the load taken by other stations in the area.

Pinball Jizzard fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Dimebag posted:

But the tunnelling creates just another example of how little this infrastructure build has been thought through, ~10 years ago 90 % of that area used to be farm land and was turned into housing developments. So instead of having to maybe build track but tunnel under Narellen they now have to pay to tunnel under the developments that were re zoned from farmland. It all costs money and more money due to lack of planning for the future. All of this land was sold off whilst Bagerys Creek was still the planned location for the second airport.

What work is being done to easy congestion on the western line? The same amount of services are running as always not accounting for the population boom in that area, how is adding more passengers onto that line going to help given they have no room for expansion and the the track is super close to capacity?

Editing as I just saw Birstrikes comment: the link from North-South Western Sydney has been needed for many years but as above my issue is that they have sold off so much of the land around and it's been populated for sonlong that any expansion of the rail is now open to NIMBYS and also the cost that goes along with that.

I'm just annoyed at the lack of future planning more than anything.

Technically the West is being decongested by Sydney Metro City and Southwest followed by Sydney Metro West. I understand that the Bankstown line will be Brownfield (removing existing services), but the turn up and go setup with sub-10 minute headway’s will go a long way to reducing congestion.

In terms of future planning, consider this. Most rail projects are planned 10+ years in advance. Smeaton Grange, Oran Park and the other South-West expansions were planned and built with a new rail line in mind; the delay comes mainly from NSW government hard-balling federal for funding based upon the airport. Tunnelling is the “in-thing” for infrastructure just now. It’s front line cost is expensive, but it pays itself back over time in terms of the benefits it provides; especially in the rail space.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Churn the gently caress away from iinet ASAP and watch your problems disappear.

In agreement, I moved from iinet to loving Telstra. I now receive better customer service and support.

gently caress you Mbali from the South Africa call centre, I’ve already done all the NBN required testing 5 times at different parts of the day and proved without a doubt the issue is the exchange.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

rear end frog posted:

lol did you just blame a random black person in another country for the nbn being poo poo

:australia:

No.

I made a comment about repeating tests 5 times when dealing with an agent from iiNets South Africa call centre whose name I still remember.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

starkebn posted:

But will they fit through the tunnels? This has been a problem recently.

I’ve seen similar comments to this one. Does everyone truly believe the train/tunnel width issue was an unknown?

In addition, there’s good reason why trains aren’t built in Australia any more. And it’s not as simple as a cost issue (although it is a factor). Most of your major worldwide control systems players have their own off-shoot or preferred companies that build their trains. The control system employed usually determines who is used to build the trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

JBP posted:

That "average wage" is the highest grading on the EBA.

For year 1 of the agreement yes, by 2014 shift workers of normal grade 6 or above were making more than that. Electrician shift workers (grade 6L) making in excess of $150,000. The day rate workers were obviously below the average.

Is it just me that sees the wages being paid as being incredibly above market rates? Particularly considering it’s a decent way from Sydney. If 20% got knocked off the top end money, They’d still be well paid workers.

• Locked thread