Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

froglet posted:

The strange thing is he might win if he just says "coal is hosed and we need to find new industries for people to work in. Let's say no to Adani and instead yes to [some random clean energy industry].".

People are okay with bad news if you follow it up with "but we'll do X instead".

For examples of how well this works in real life see:

Clinton, Hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I refuse to believe 'asbestos' was said as often as 'nutted'

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

ewe2 posted:

When people stop splashing out for food, there is definitely a trend, guess which one.

Is it one where manufacturers of ramen, tins of soup and porridge do really really well?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

He's nutting

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Guessing right.

Retail strip armageddon has been underway for years though, not much seems to have changed. Bridge road was falling apart 4-5 years back.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I have no idea why you guys don't just call the Ombudsman over this horseshit. The internet just dropping the gently caress out for days at a time is not acceptable in this day and age.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The Gatwick was not the reason people stopped going to St.Kilda. They stopped going to St.Kilda because it went from being a vibrant, low rent, arts community with lots of live music venues to a piss boring corporate cafe strip with dogshit dull bars that charge too much. Money killed St.Kilda, not homeless people (who have always been there).

If his homeless and destitute argument rang true no one would go to the CBD anymore and welpppppp

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I don't want no loving mcmansion.

What if you live in it with a bunch of other renters and actually manage to make appropriate use of the space

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I got about 3 chapters into The Slap before deciding I hated everyone in it

Was it as bad as my instincts suggested?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Even if SA does fuckup and elect a Lib government today, it has consistently not done so for the last 15 years so handing it worst state status over one fuckup seems a bit harsh.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I thought Clarke and Dawe ended? Did he find a new partner?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Most of us are the two nice people who live in the house, Joe represents Liberal voters and the animals are federal parliament.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Most young Jewish people I've met were super next tier racist so I'm not sure we can rely on them for a big progressive turnout

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Enough people are sufficiently dumb that the media (owned by the rich) would convince them it was the fault of some other group brown people.

Personally I would benefit immensely from a housing crash because I've no dependents, my parents own property I can fall back on if I cant find a place to rent, and I have enough liquid capital that I could potentially make a lot of money in the ensuing chaos. My job couldn't give the first gently caress about the Australian economy, the whole country could slip under the sea and It would make almost no difference (and don't get me started on how much I would LOVE a collapse in the value of the Aussie dollar).

However a major recession would devastate most of my friends. I know a lot of people that bought at relatively high prices way out of the city, or that have huge debts that they need their jobs to service, or who work in sectors that benefit from the boom (mostly construction). Yes, it would be nice for me to be king dick for a change considering I spent most of my twenties poor as gently caress, but this wont hurt boomers and property investors nearly as much as one would think because for the most part they have enough capital to shrug off the damage. It will hurt ordinary people in their 40s and down, because they have had to engage with this over-leveraged economy just to live a good normal life.

To me, these calls for a recession now are basically a big ol' dose of accelerationism and anyone that is actively wishing for a forest fire to pass through their community hasn't thought about it properly.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 21, 2018

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Surely the only way we can get to an early election is if Tones rolls Malcolm

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Labor are 4 points up 6 months out and the earliest of the big infrastructure projects are coming online.

Reckon he'll be a-ok Mr dogfucker

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Biggest dandrews issue is he is trying to ram through a million things at once. It almost feels like he is resigned to being a one term premier and is just speed running it.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I've thought about it and I can see some good in a small fee per parcel. Cheap Chinese goods are allowed to come into the country for next to nothing and local retailers can't hope to compete because they actually have to pay for shipping. It's ridiculous that local mail carriers have to eat the cost of that shipping as well.

There are obvious problems with collecting the revenue, and I'm aware this will affect other nations mail as well, and I don't trust this government not to gently caress it up, and it may run afoul of international mailing agreements. But I don't have an issue with forcing businesses that have gotten a free ride for the last decade to actually pay for the services they use.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Dimebag posted:

Whatever the worst possible decision that can be made, that's what Turnbull will do. Who has more pull with the LNP rich Chinese or rich Seppos?

The right wing of the LNP is pulling his strings and they will 100% back the white people

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

drunkill posted:

would be good.

Victoria went from 50 women's teams in 2011 to 1000 in 2017.

They got the rights for two years for free. Zero cost to the afl to show games. They were rewarded with massive ratings for the first season, lots of free advertising money, pure profit and no cost to them apart from staff wages.

But from next season the rights will be sold off, so rumours are they are tanking the aflw so the cost will be lower due to poor ratings/interest etc. Here's hoping Channel 10 come in and try to swipe it off from channel 7 like they have done with the WBBL with channel 9.

My local club has about 40 excess girls this year, we werent allowed to run a 3rds because the Vafa isn't equipped to deal with the numbers yet, not enough grounds.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I agree lets turn this into the footy thread

Essendon have committed some shocking turnovers, but the two new guys from Adelaide look really great, Doedee in particular.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

They are both being changed from within at the same time

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Ol' hansie has been dead for years, wouldn't be shocked if a lot of people on twitter have never heard of him

Yes, you are old.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Cheap jump scare m8

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I'd settle for in prison for a couple of decades

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Q:
What is wrong with germane Greers brain?

A:
Dementia

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Vegetarian fare needs to improve a bit first. A lot of the time when I go out vegetarian options are frilly little lightweight meals designed for 45 kilo hipster girls. Much of the time I end up getting the meat option simply because I'll need 5 of those overpriced herb bread and dip platters to fill me up. Its a godsend when I actually find places that will provide a hearty, filling vegetarian meal.

And why the gently caress is vegetarian pasta only like a buck cheaper? That pumpkin is 2$ a kilo at the shops, beef starts at 15$.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

G-Spot Run posted:

Oh okay they do have tests on maternal only blood now. Serms a bit late to bother

Not at all, 30th newspoll is coming and barney is all ready to make a comeback under Abbott's frontbench

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Vego at home is ez. Lazymans mushroom risotto, 5 spice pumpkin soup, cauliflower and cream sauce pasta, no worries mate.

It's when I go out that it sucks nuts.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Refreshing True Crime News Weekly every 20 seconds until he posts about this

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Perhaps its just me but perhaps 60 yo parliamentarians shouldnt act like o-week kids

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

JBP posted:

So what you're saying is you want inhuman law robots that aren't allowed to have fun, but also feel deeply for the common man and share his human experiences.

You realize there are points on the spectrum between inhuman law robots and a weekend at Johnny Knoxville's house yeah?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

Jessica Jones if that helps.

Also recommend The Expanse if you want to see people being shot in the face over and over.

Seven Psychopaths is free on SBS on demand right now, if you can put up with the trash tier ad system on their player than I highly recommend it

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The fair work commission is broken not because of Labor, but because of the Liberal party who have stacked the gently caress out of it with right wing business lobbyists.

Even if that weren't the case, The Greens are still utilizing the same divisive electioneering bullshit that many of us found so distasteful at the batman by election. By a transplant from another political party that probably doesn't really believe in much beyond 'get elected', no less.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

My mother frequently complains to me about her boomer friends. Tonight she had dinner with one of them that thought it was really funny and clever that Matthew Guy had screwed over Andrews by double crossing him on the pairing issue.

There's another group she's known for 40 years that keep yelling at her about how great Peter Dutton is and at least those refugees are safe in their accommodation in Nauru.

Monthly reminder to kill all boomers

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The Age's brain injury awareness column doing well

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Don't be alone

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I've had very few bad experiences with VicPol personally but that video is just lol

I don't know what was worse the dude beating his legs with the nightstick or the guy filming it with a poo poo eating grin on his face

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

kim getting suited at the same place as donny I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

light for the lost posted:

my fleshy torso tumbles threadward

Is there like some sort of Avshalom detecting bot in operation now because this was really fast

• Locked thread