Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Too tired to fix this formatting on mobile

Shorten says talk about Adani mine 'dumbing down climate debate'

Labor leader dodges questions about plan to revoke Adani licence if he wins next election

Katharine Murphy and Paul Karp

Fri 2 Mar 2018 15.02 AEDTLast modified on Fri 2 Mar 2018 16.37 AEDT

View more sharing options

Shares

Comments279

Bill Shorten has repeatedly denied that he told colleagues he intended to ban the Adani coal mine, but dodged questions about whether he intended to revoke its licence if Labor wins the next election.

Shorten was asked on Friday to clarify Labor’s position after the businessman and environmentalist Geoff Cousins this week gave a detailed account of private discussions he had with the Labor leader over December and January.

Cousins said that after a tour of the Great Barrier Reef and the Adani mine site in January, Shorten signalled his support for Labor revoking Adani’s licence based on concern about the impact of the project on the reef, on groundwater and endangered species. He then indicated he would make an announcement to that effect imminently.

Geoff Cousins reveals how Bill Shorten wavered on Adani mine

Read more

The Labor leader faced questions while campaigning in Devonport on Friday ahead of the Tasmanian election on Saturday, including whether he was prepared to announce Labor would revoke the project’s licence if it won government.

Advertisement

Shorten denied on Friday that he wanted to ban the project, and had to be talked out of that position by colleagues.

But the Labor leader did signal publicly after his trip with Cousins, without locking in to a specific option, that he was intending to adopt a harder line against the controversial Queensland coal project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Its going to turn out that i beliwve gif tge paper he checked was blank

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Working class unions eequire working class jobs

Close the jobs lose the members unions rendered obsolete

Coal 4eva

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-03-03/recycling-industry-in-crisis-can-it-be-fixed/9502512

Follow up on how four corners exposed recycling is bullshit.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Criticism of TERF is applied to second wave exclusively but white feminist criticisms of third wave exist though not as pronounced or severe than against second wave. Third wave feminism was the early gestation of intersectionality so while it exists it isn't as pronounced as the fourth wave, alongside arguments of feminism and social class/caste. Its most often expressed in brief "their hearts in the right place but they're ignorant."

Full disclosure i'm a third waver.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
VaporwaVe Gave Us Oneohtrix Point Never so thats more than a lot of other waves gave us.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Who was following Retail Food Group? It's a bit of a bloodbath right now https://www.google.com/search?q=ASX:RFG

rip donut king and crust pizza

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A bad deputy prime minister is a lot like a bad father in that they're the same.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

tithin posted:

I fail to see how. RFG are a pump em and dump em franchiser. They buy groups, trash their value for quick returns.

The problem is the model is now being treated warily - if you have no new investees for your pyramid scheme the whole thing goes ponzi up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Someone keeps leaking to the Australian

Greens NSW MP Jeremy Buckingham faces moves to expel him from the party after he allegedly failed to follow Greens policy in an interview on the ABC.

The party’s state convener Debbie Gibson confirmed yesterday there was an active complaint against Mr Buckingham which had been lodged at the end of December.

The complaint centres on an appearance on the ABC’s 4 Corners program where Mr Buckingham said his efforts to democratise the NSW party had been blocked by Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon and the left faction of the party.

However, the NSW Greens convener suspended the complaint process when Mr Buckingham requested for the party provide him with $30,000 to seek legal advice to potentially take action against the complainants.

The most recent State Delegate Council clarified that the complaint against Mr Buckingham is still active but the original conflict resolution committee has been suspended.

The complaint states NSW Greens should no longer ignore problematic behaviour to avoid confrontation. “The Greens NSW can no longer, like some institutions, turn a blind eye to serious misbehaviour by its MPs or sweep it under the carpet.,’’ the complaint says.

“Continued toleration of such behaviour, in the belief that this will avoid conflict or negative media coverage, is not justified.”

The trouble in NSW comes as a misconduct claim made by 18 Greens members seeking to expel Greens Batman by-election candidate Alex Bhathal for allegedly branch stacking, bullying, intimidation and victimisation was cleared by a party committee which is prohibited from making adverse findings of fact in contravention. The Victorian party’s constitution mandates a 28-day notice period for the subject of a complaint, a formal meeting of the state council and potentially the establishment of a group to further investigate. Ms Bhathal denies the claims.

A complaint against Mr Buckingham was made after he allegedly punched a Greens member in the shoulder at a rally in Sydney in 2014. Hall Greenland, who was the 2014 NSW Greens Convenor, says there were several complaints against Mr Buckingham regarding overbearing and aggressive behaviour which resulted in resolution after some time. “There were a number of incidents in 2014 that members thought his behaviour was aggressive and lodged complaints which were mediated and after some delay Jeremy apologised and the matters were settled.” he said.

Several Greens members have told The Australian that Mr Buckingham’s behaviour is intentionally intimidating, he often threatens legal action in response to complaints and is obsessed with left factionalism. They also said he regularly refuses to attend mediation when complaints are made against him.

A Greens insider told The Australian the party’s policies were not robust enough to manage a rogue MP. “When a side has learnt it can scream and threaten the party and get away with it they will.” she said. “I care a lot about the party, I want to believe in us being a grassroots party where our MPs are beholden to our members, but we just haven’t figured out how to do that yet.”

Former Greens staffer Tom Raue lodged a complaint against Mr Buckingham after he cornered him in an elevator after Mr Raue criticised Mr Buckingham in an online Greens discussion forum in 2016. He claimed Mr Buckingham called him a coward and he and his staffer Max Philips prevented him from exiting the elevator. The complaint was resolved after Mr Buckingham and Mr Philips agreed to stay away from Mr Raue. “I was quite scared by it.” he said. ‘It’s not what I thought the Greens were.”

In response to The Australian’s questions regarding his behaviour, Mr Buckingham said the more left-leaning segments of the party were attempting to malign him. “The divisive Left Renewal faction should stop trying to smear me and the party, and should join the rest of the Greens who are focused on stopping the Adani coal mine and saving the Darling River.” he said.

The Australian understands the Left Renewal movement, founded by Young Greens members, is no longer active within the party.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Nah id leak in the bushes but i would only piss on the Aus

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Recycle the Nationals

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Whitlam posted:

Batman by-election: Di Natale caught up in Greens bad blood

So is there just going to be one story a week from now until the by-election? Feedback I'm hearing from others on the ground is people are saying "if her own Party doesn't support her, why should I?"

Thats the plan.

quote:

Richard Di Natale has spoken of his frustration that one week out from a byelection in the Victorian electorate of Batman, disgruntled Greens party members are continuing to leak damaging reports about its candidate, Alex Bhathal.

The Greens leader disputed parts of a report by the ABC on Friday that he had ordered Bhathal be investigated five years ago over the alleged use of confidential party information, and said it was concerning that Greens members were leaking information to the media to undermine her.

The ABC reported that the Greens’ 2013 state council meeting included discussions about the alleged misuse of in-camera information from the party’s executive meeting. The ABC said there were allegations Bhathal misused this confidential information, prompting Di Natale to intervene.

But Di Natale told Guardian Australia there was nothing controversial about him referring the matter on, and that he was not concerned about Bhathal specifically.

“The issue of in-camera minutes was already being debated at state council and remained unresolved, so I simply suggested a procedural motion to refer it to another forum,” he said. “This is common practice and we regularly refer contested matters from state council to other working groups.”

The report follows the leaking of a 101-page internal complaint against Bhathal. The complaint was leaked to media despite being investigated and dealt with.

Bhathal has run for the Greens repeatedly since 2001, losing Batman in 2016 when Liberal preferences flowed to Labor’s David Feeney. The upcoming 17 March byelection was sparked after Feeney resigned from parliament over dual citizenship.

Guardian Australia understands that a number of Greens members would rather see Bhathal lose in order to preserve a chance of a different candidate running in future.

“It’s disappointing that a small number of people who disagree with the outcome of a democratic, grassroots preselection process are undermining the chances of electing a strong, progressive woman in Batman,” Di Natale said.

When the internal complaint against her was leaked, Bhathal, a social worker, said: “We’re dealing with a situation here where I’m very well known and people can make their own judgments.”

A Greens victory in Batman would give the party its second lower house seat. The seat of Melbourne is held by Adam Bandt.

quote:

ABC radio claimed on Friday that a fresh complaint had been lodged and would be dealt with after the byelection on Saturday March 17, which the Greens say is not correct.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-foreign-policy

:captainpop:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I remember Tony Abbott, the infrastructure prime minister.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.smh.com.au/national/the-problem-record-immigration-is-supposed-to-solve-doesn-t-exist-20180313-p4z464.html

What is this why is it the lead on smh

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Tokamak posted:

My prime cut of meat :qq:

No one with any taste eats eye fillet anyway.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Joe Hildebrand with an EPiC TAkeDoWN of the most important strawman ever seen

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/immigration-debate-is-just-leftwing-racism/news-story/ee5a958fe3447e9cc247f59fdae8d344

These are the forgotten people who the mainstream parties left behind as they became more and more dominated by a professional political class and promptly disappeared up their own overprivileged arses.

They are often decent in their personal lives — sacked factory workers trying to hold on to their homes and little old ladies who go to church every Sunday — but get angry when cast as bigots by inner-city elites if they question things like cheap immigrant labour or Islamic fundamentalism.

And yet now the inner-city elites are tapping into the same base tribal instincts. The only difference is that they dress it up in bigger words.

When the right calls for cuts to immigration it’s called “racism” but when the left does it it’s called “urban sustainability”. In fact they’re both saying the exact same thing: “F*** off, we’re full.”

And so when the quintessential progressive media double act of Fairfax and the ABC this week put cutting immigration square on the national agenda, the far right could not believe its luck. Suddenly it looked like God was white after all.

So you see both sides are the same and the answer is somewhere in the middle*

*my extreme left seems to be located centre right

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birdstrike posted:

that’s the dumbest, least comprehensible thing I’ve read since catherine mcgregor’s last column

The massive volatility we have seen in the established global order recently has been driven primarily by an unlikely union between religious and cultural ultraconservatives — such as the Tea Party movement in the United States and the UK Independence Party (UKIP) — and radical leftist movements that would rather disrupt or dismantle the entire framework of government than support a moderate leader.

A perfect example is the ultra-leftist, ultra-anti-American Julian Assange supporting the ultra-rightist, ultra-pro-America Donald Trump or hardcore Bernie Sanders supporters voting for Trump or nobody rather than elect Hillary Clinton. Likewise in the UK, Jeremy Corbyn ran dead on Brexit so as not to offend his anti-establishment base.

The Alliance!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Just imagine being this wrong about everything.

The best one is that Corbyn ran dead on Brexit because of an anti-establishment base - no, Corbyn ran dead on Brexit because he supported it and has for decades, and his base hated him for it as they are by and large eurocentric. It's one of the issues that Corbyn is a failure on and Hildebrand managed to gently caress that reading up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Except that corbyn running dead on brexit is poo poo. He may not have agreed with it but he actually campaigned much harder than the tories to remain.

Campaigning less hard than the Tories wouldn't be hard, but it could be viewed from a mile away his heart wasn't in defending it. The downside of being a principled person is when you have to do something against your principles you can't pretend to whole heartedly be for it.

ibelieve.gif

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

gay picnic defence posted:

It's loving great. You get to strut around all day with your designer skinny jeans riding up your crack while you tell hard working battlers they are wrong about stuff

skinny jeans? how old are you?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Can anyone explain what is going on in the greens with a Game of Thrones metaphor?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So fairfax published this

https://www.smh.com.au/national/south-african-farmers-are-trapped-in-a-brutal-reality-and-my-family-is-a-victim-of-it-20180321-p4z5ft.html

A writing on the oppression of white farmers citibg "AfriForum" repeatedly. What is AfriForum? Why a white nationalist group of course.

AfriForum was established in 2006 as an organisation nominally committed to the preservation of minority rights. It, however, solely focuses on the rights of Afrikaners, particularly language, cultural and safety and regularly conducts campaigns to this end.

4. AfriForum's leader, Kallie Kriel, was a member of the Conservative Party during the early 1990's, but left it because the party under Andries Treurnicht (who refused to take part in the negotiation process) "was not the right vehicle to ensure self-determination [a volkstaat]" for the Afrikaner.

5. AfriForum has tapped into white fears, specifically around affirmative action, transformation and crime, and boast more than 186 000 members (membership is R50 minimum per monthly debit order).

AfriForum has in the past referred to apartheid as a "so-called historical injustice" and a "woolly concept".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Inescapable Duck posted:

Transactions not so micro any more.

$7 surcharge on candy crush and Game of War and Mobile Strike micros

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogj5ztTE0zw

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
WHY THE gently caress IS TRINITY GRAMMAR STILL IN THE NEWS

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Endman posted:

It's difficult to agree with these statements, because calling people 'too easily offended' and implying their hypersensitivity is stifling debate is also a popular right-wing talking point to accomplish the same thing in reverse.

Often people with very real grievances are ignored because they're 'just being too sensitive.'

Is there anyone here who has experience with the Victorian Greens who can provide some actual facts?

'This is bullying' vs. 'you're too sensitive' is a very low-value argument that isn't going to get us anywhere without real context.

Louise Milligan is in the comments talking about a similar experience in her NSW Greens Four Corners episode. If i had to guess its when they were trting to film Greens at the NSW conference who were saying they do not consent to appearing and cameras were an infringement.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Krabboss posted:

It's a legitimate word to describe a legitimate psychological response to negative stimulus. It's been purposefully ripped to poo poo by the right wing by latching on to a few tumblr teens who used the word incorrectly.

Anyway, Chris Kenny is almost certainly the dumbest person in the media, right?

IT's a legit word for people with severe anxiety, stress disorders, or otherwise ways of bringing back flashbacks or panic attacks. It is not for "this upset me".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Krabboss posted:

Thanks for repeating back to me what I just said, but the person I was responding to was disparaging its use in any context, fuckface.

I... was agreeing... with you... just elaborating...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

BBJoey posted:

i’m absolutely certain that nothing can go wrong with a 40mm grenade launcher firing squash balls into crowds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-k4i0JBs8E

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/TheShovel/status/977747934895792129

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Visidan posted:

just as we had finally moved on from the underarm incident of '81

WE'RE STILL NOT OVER OUR BODYLINE VICTIMISATION.

This is just us getting our deserved payback by making the game equal with those cheats!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJfclDUTJs

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Do we discuss Germaine Greer here or is she disowned because she said some whack second wave poo poo even by her standards recently.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Just days after calling the alleged victims of sexual assault by Harvey Weinstein ‘career rapees’, Germaine Greer has now revealed that she heard her close friend being raped and ‘did nothing’ about it.

Speaking at a debate about the MeToo movement, the 79-year-old author said people were ‘completely confused’ by what sexual assault is and used what happened to her unnamed friend as an example.

She said: ‘I was woken up by shouts, ”Get off! Leave me alone! No, no!”. And I thought, ”What do I do?”, and of course, like most house guests, I did nothing’.

She told the audience she later discussed the incident with her friend, who revealed what Greer overhead that night happened ‘fairly often’.

‘She said, ”Was that rape?”, and I said, well, ”I don’t know. It might have been”,’ she explained.

‘And then I said to her, ”Why would you send your husband away for years — which is the tariff for tape — because he overrode your unwillingness on such occasion?”.’

The writer then went on to criticise how rape is represented in the entertainment industry, describing it as a ‘bloody victim crime’, before going on to explain it as a ‘domestic thing’ that happens when a couple ‘don’t understand each other terribly well’.

She said: ‘Sex is a blood sport. People take punishment. They get over it. The relationship survives, or it doesn’t.’

Greer was criticised earlier this week after she warned that accusers of Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein could become ‘career rapees’.

She said that some alleged victims of Weinstein have had ‘extraordinary exposure’, adding: ‘Some of whom have been paid six figure sums in the form of non-disclosure agreements’.

The feminist previously accused female stars of ‘spreading their legs’ for the movie producer.

In an interview before being named Australian of the Year, Greer said: ‘I want, I’ve always wanted, to see women react immediately. In the old days, there were movies — the Carry On comedies, for example — which always had a man leering after women. And the women always outwitted him — he was a fool. We we weren’t afraid of him and we weren’t afraid to slap him down.’

‘What makes it different is when the man has economic powers, as Harvey Weinstein has. But if you spread your legs because he said ”be nice to me and I’ll give you a job in a movie” then I’m afraid that tantamount to consent, and it’s too late now to start whingeing about it.’

Lid fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 26, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/978525859584684032?s=20

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Schlesische posted:

Vegetarian Chickpea Tacos might actually be the best low-effort make it yourself taco out there.

Old El Paso, fake TexMex but drat it i can't bring myself to dislike them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

• Locked thread