Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Was made aware of this thread over in the fishing thread. I love mushrooms! I have basically no experience identifying anything not completely obvious, but I enjoy wandering in forests. A nice combo with shore fishing and camping. Two weekends ago I spotted a couple baby morels while poking around in some very promising old hardwoods. Covered them with leaves (area is a park with lots of foot traffic) and came back last weekend and picked a good 15 from that spot!

babbys

same shot, all growed up one week later

the haul from that spot- we got more from two other spots on that session, but this was the best patch

yum yum yum

don't worry, I added butter once they cooked a bit

A few large dryad' saddle on the way to a fishing spot (we call them pheasantbacks in mn)

anyone know what these are? they were a pretty brilliant red/orange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I just moved to the pnw and there's lots of mushrooms around here.

a wooly chanterelle I think? Based on reading the internet, i guess

the virgin forest amanita (hides under a log, is pale, probably never photographed before)

vs

the chad city park amanita (bright red, out in the open, dares children and dogs to come taste it)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Have a pic dump from my forest walks last weekend! (MN)
I don't know what most of these are, feel free to inform me, especially if they're no-brainer edibles

These were all over the place!

As were these... Gray coral mushroom?

Fairy fingers?

No fungus here, but finding bones is fun too

These looked like ink caps, perhaps?

More of these, seriously I was nearly tripping over them

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

that's an amazing morel. makes me miss seattle.

i got out yesterday looking for morels. didn't find any, but did score my first ever wild oysters! took ~1.5 lbs. still trying to decide what to make with them. the anise scent is super strong and quite pleasant. probably the best-smelling mushroom i've ever foraged.

plus a bonus scarlet tanager. beautifully striking red in person. iphone camera doesn't do it justice.
https://i.imgur.com/B7eofAg.gifv

also found a few morels last weekend. wasn't good conditions as it had been too dry here in MN. the couple i found were stunted and/or sunburned. local forums seemed to be saying similar things.
basically stepped on this one before seeing it. it was growing mostly under a piece of fallen bark

this was in a park adjacent to a residential area, and it's obvious there's some mushroom hunters in there all the time. i've found some in these woods most years, but my spots show clear evidence of other hunters (such as that last shroom i found picked and lying on its side drying out next to the other drying morels), so i need to move on to someplace less traveled. like the spot i went to yesterday for instance.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Spent a long weekend in northern WI, got out on a very productive shroom hunt. it had been raining for days and stuff was popping everywhere
there's some i'm not sure of, feel free to give an id if you know it

TONS of aminita muscaria

:shrug:

russula mariae maybe? didn't take a pic of the gills

chlorociboria aeruginascens :3: i saw a bunch of dead wood stained teal all over the woods before seeing any fruiting bodies

there were some of these coming up in a lawn in clusters, could not figure out what they were. they were super attractive though, they made me want to eat them

some kind of pholiota, probably squarrosa?

my phone died just as i was snapping this pic, apologies i didn't get a good one. the toothy gill things were very cool. definitely a northern tooth fungus

lastly, the fun stuff. there were boletes of all kinds in the woods. this was my first time attempting to take any, so i was a little shaky on the ids. i didn't take a lot of pics though unfortunately...

these bruised blue immediately, so i knew to leave them. unsure of species.

it was around here i started getting excited and stopped taking pictures

this is the next day after harvesting, hence the bruising. pretty certain these are aspen boletes, but they have quite a bit of variability in top color. normal? also the oddball up top, which felt really light and has a yellowish stipe and pores with no scabers. no bruising blue though. can't decide if i want to toss it, as everything i read says boletes are all fine to eat if they don't bruise blue, have red pores, or taste bitter. (also a pheasantback snuck into the shot)

main event #1. king boletes! I didn't even realize what i had at first! when i was in the woods I just grabbed them because they passed the above test. i was researching the next day and realized they all had that distinctive webbing on the stipe

these things are insanely difficult to spot, i can't believe i stumbled onto them.

black trumpets!! i've had no expectation of ever finding these. i was so stoked to even see them, let alone harvest so many. i don't even know what i'll do with them all, but i'll have to dry a bunch

here's a bonus pic of some lobsters we nearly stumbled over on a hiking trail near duluth a few weeks ago. made a delicious risotto with them

plus a few others. i couldn't figure out if they were true or false chants, but we only found a few so didn't bother attempting an id.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Soukuw posted:

Well not nearly as good as Hooplah...

These are the first mushrooms I trusted my identification enough to eat. It was pretty exciting. Black Trumpets of course.

Honestly, if there weren't so many i doubt i'd have spotted them. Nice eye!

Also I've read (but have never confirmed) that trumpets can come back in the same spots, so you should keep an eye on the location if possible

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hey, I also just found some shaggy ink caps! First time ever positively IDing them, but unfortunately these are in a high traffic area in the city so I won't be tasting them.

Still happy to add a species to my list!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i picked 10 morels last night. someone else definitely got to my spot first, but i guess that happens when you get out on sunday evening

wondering how good the flush must have been if i got the scraps and was still able to scrounge 10 from one little area

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Guido Merkens posted:

As my 20 month old daughter is finally mobilized and able to carry out basic assignments, we went on our first mini foray on Bainbridge last weekend. She found a ton of russalas and insisted on bringing every one of them home. She’s recently taken my copy of All That The Rain Promises, and More and made it a permanent part of her board book collection. She flips through it likes pointing at them saying “that!?”, so we brought the shrooms home, laid them all out on the coffee table, and did an identification sesh.

Truffle Pig Training has begun.

I just had my first baby last week and this post is making me feel things. Incredibly adorable and absolutely life goals

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Those look like jack o lanterns! Poisonous, but very photogenic as you can see. Also they glow in the dark sometimes

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Anyone care to weigh in on these? they have all the hallmarks of shaggy ink caps (deliquescence, sprouting singly from earth, some rather tall) but they're not as "shaggy" as the typical specimens. I would have no idea what else they'd be, as they don't really look like common ink caps.

i also found some suillus weaverae/granulatus, but don't have any pics... i will be at least tasting one of those

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

one good looking king, very nice

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Tafferling posted:

The stickiest bolete I've ever seen, it even exudes droplets from the sponge, which is compact as hell, you can't see the tubules with the naked eye. It grew in a clump with a dozen others. It's hard as hell, I can squeeze it pretty hard before even denting it.

Suillus granulatus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the yeti posted:

Verpa conica, ‘conic morel’ I guess idk if it actually has a common name

wow, i've never heard of that species. If I saw it in the wild I'd assume it's some kind of smooth gyromitra. cool!