Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Also known as Power Paintbrush, which is a way cooler name to be honest. Or in Italian, The Dark Painting. Sick.

Wow! What a video game.
With revolutionary Stylus technology known only for the past 10 years as a tool that could sortof help you use a PDA, a whole new era of gaming has been devised. At least, specifically, two Kirby games, the older of which I'm going to be playing here and is arguably the better one; but even that's a stretch, as all kirby games are drat good.
Sincerely, this is one of my most cherished nostalgia bombs in my repertoire. I've only 100%ed the game once in the past, but I fully intend to replicate that here. Most Kirby games tend to be on the easier side for a full clear; this one stands out in the series as a bit of an exception.

So just what IS this game? Well, Kirby has been transmogrified and bewitched into a sphere (as if he wasn't enough of a spheroid already). This is NOT a clone of Ball Kirby from earlier games; indeed, he can no longer bounce about, but is instead condemned to roll and spin-dash along the ground with no guidance.
That's where you (the player!) come in. Explicitly elucidated in the opening cutscene, a magical paintbrush becomes your in real life stylus. Armed with this magical weapon, you can prod enemies from beyond the fourth (third?) wall to stun them mercilessly. Most importantly, you can draw a line of magical ink to propel Kirby along and help him traverse the stages.
Each world has three unique stages with beautiful visuals (for a DS) that would be expected of some paint-themed game. Each stage "archetype" gets used twice but it's hardly a bother, and indeed, it really shows how the game's difficulty curve feels so natural. Interestingly, you can play stages out of order within the same world (but why would you even do that?).
There are mini-games too, but uniquely enough, these are BOSS minigames and are required to progress through the story. After you beat level 2 of the boss challenges you can practice that particular minigame at any time.
Most lucratively (medals can be exchanged for goods and services, namely, unlockables), there is a final gamemode which is unlocked on a per-world basis upon clearing that world. In this "Rainbow Run" you face time and ink conservation challenges, for up to a whopping three medals apiece.

Enough talking, though, let's see this in action!

No. 1— Reddy For Action

Yes, the world names are pretty pun-y. Here we see standard gameplay, a boss minigame, and the Rainbow Run time and line trials! The videos will be on a per-world basis with some cleaning-up at times to catch up on missed things.

No. 2—Arange Ya Glad

World 2! Another medal is missed due to Switch Palace shenanigans. All the better to full-clear in the future with I suppose.

No. 3—Iello Know What

World 3, "Iello Adventure", in which we finally kill one of the three Switches of Progress Impeding. Also, levels are getting LONG.

No. 4—Greology

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Even MORE switch blocks show off their blockiness by preventing my greedy mitts from grabbing more medals. Also, a particularly tricky time trial busts me up for a few minutes.

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Aw yeah. Always happy to see some more Kirby. I've never played any of the spin-offs (except Air Ride) but they all seem to have a good standard of quality attached to them. Also, I like your laid back style of commentary, it's a good time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I know nothing about this Kirby in particular so I'll be happily following. Seems it's a fun game, but that goes with being a Kirby game.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Thanks for the feedback guys! Episode 2 was already recorded and is slated to go up Friday (I don't have the most time to do continuous recording unfortunately, so I'm spreading 'em out). If I can record some more sooner it might get bumped up. It'll also fix the slight amount of desync that you may not have even noticed until I pointed it out right now.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKF5wVSVlqw
Arange Gorge awaits! Weirdly distended colors is an interesting theme for world names. The general order of these videos is that the world is cleared including the boss game, then the Rainbow Run fun times wrap up the video. The latter are a delicious source of 18 guaranteed medals; no need to go back and figure out any puzzles or smash switch palaces. Just pure, unadulterated stylus skill.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wonder when the switch palaces will appear. Seeing 100% completion so close, yet so far is always annoying and Kirby games are too cute to be annoying.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIZq7bSf9CA
World 3! Some very annoying desync returns for a bit here... my goal is to fix that by offloading the microphone recording to my big boy PC and spare the entire tablet for emulation.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wonder when the switch palaces will appear. Seeing 100% completion so close, yet so far is always annoying and Kirby games are too cute to be annoying.

There you have it :p
I won't be going back to full clear the medals until I clear the game regularly first, but it's satisfying nonetheless to clear these roadblocks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I expect nothing but perfect playing and I am very disappointed about that one medal that was not obtained in this episode.

jk great job going through this, this game sure looks interesting physics-wise. It shows best on the Line Trials, Kirby gets some acceleration from curves and the like but also seems to get stuck really easily. Must make drawing tough.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiWKxV1vUvI
I missed another perfectly grabbable medal by trying too hard. RIP. For the first time since episode 1's blunder there's a bit that required editing, simply due to how much of a nuisance this particular time trial was being.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This wasn't a very happy episode. That's one impressive difficulty spike.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

This wasn't a very happy episode. That's one impressive difficulty spike.

I'm gonna try to chin up for the future. It doesn't get TOO much more difficult, and it's Kirby dang it, it's happiness city!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Alright, I thought I could make this work with this setup but I'm a lazy man and i'm mildly inconvenienced by how slow this computer is when it comes to video processing. This isn't being abandoned, but rather put on the same hiatus as my Isaac series, which is slated to resume in late May when I can get a hold of my Big Rig again. Until then, I recommend checking out one of the at least two Star Allies LPs going on at the moment, especially the D-Pad folks, I've been enjoying watching 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope you still feel like doing this once you get your good computer again, I was enjoying this. It's a side of Kirby I haven't tested myself and it was fun watching you play, as frustrated as you seemed at the end there.

• Locked thread