Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
Here is my situation.

I have a nice title but am severely underpaid. I am a chemist (my title) at a cosmetics company with a lab tech salary. I've been doing this a little over a year, my first job out of college. I hate the work. I don't care about cosmetics. Clients are crazy and demanding. Some days I feel more like an artist due to the insane amount of color-matching and color-based work that goes on and that is not a nice feeling to me (would be great for other people, not so much for me). Attempts to learn about my job more are penalized as I'm not supposed to be "at my desk" too much. Management is crazy (lab coworkers are wonderful, though). I gave this job/industry a nice try but after a year I am more than ready to move on.
All of this points to "get another job, you dingus". Yeah. I want to!

But my fiance and I are moving soon. He got into a school program somewhere and we are going to move before the start of the school year (less than 6 months). Most jobs here (bay area) are contract based at my level and the shortest of these contracts is 6 months. There are a few non contract, permanent positions jobs I'm qualified for but who knows if I will get those.

Would I be crazy to quit the job I hate to get a job that I will probably like more (more relevant to career interests and background education, isn't cosmetics) just for a few months before moving? I have enough in savings to cover 2 months of no job but we can move before then. We can move pretty much as soon as we confirm what school he is going to if worst comes to worst. I have been putting applications in like crazy just to see what kind of nibbles I get.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it to abandon a job you hate for one that I will certainly like better (and get paid more) even if it's just for less than half a year? I feel that the longer I stay in the cosmetics industry the harder it will be to get a job outside of it and I hate that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I feel that if you're going to move anyway and have a hard deadline for that move (start of semester), you might be better off in the long run if you ride out your current position. Yes it will suck but I think that some hiring managers in your new location will look at a six-month entry on your resume and interpret it negatively. Also consider that you're probably not going to find that six-month contract right away, so you're more likely going to be in any new positions for three or four months before moving, and that's going to come across even worse. If you need to start scratching that job-hunt itch, I would focus on looking for jobs in your new place so you can slot right in to something after you move.

Also what's up cosmetics buddy, this industry is loving obnoxious at times and I have wanted to quit my job for at least a year. In fact I've had two bosses quit on me in my 3-ish years at my current position, and the second of those even told me to my face that I should leave my current employer (and maybe even cosmetics as a whole) ASAP if I wanted a real career. We should swap stories once we're both out of our respective jobs...

If you're worried about being boxed into the cosmetics industry, think about what skills and experience you have that could be useful in the context of a different field, and make those stand out on your resume. The three people who have been hired for my department since I've been here had a combined 0 years of cosmetics experience prior to joining with us, but they did have a bunch of relevant technical and office skills that were needed for the job, or they came from tangentially-related industries. This is actually my first job in the cosmetics industry, and if I can hop industries then so can you!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 8, 2018

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Keep your lovely job but reward yourself for keeping it by spending a larger-than-normal portion of your income from it on nice things that you like.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Colin Mockery posted:

Keep your lovely job but reward yourself for keeping it by spending a larger-than-normal portion of your income from it on nice things that you like.

Such as cosmetics

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Quit your job your finance could dump you any second.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

C-Euro posted:

I would focus on looking for jobs in your new place so you can slot right in to something after you move.
If you're worried about being boxed into the cosmetics industry, think about what skills and experience you have that could be useful in the context of a different field, and make those stand out on your resume.

Six months is a lot of time, but maybe you could add a certification or additional designation to your resume in the intervening time?

Elephanthead posted:

This is terrible advice.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

C-Euro posted:

I feel that if you're going to move anyway and have a hard deadline for that move (start of semester), you might be better off in the long run if you ride out your current position. Yes it will suck but I think that some hiring managers in your new location will look at a six-month entry on your resume and interpret it negatively. Also consider that you're probably not going to find that six-month contract right away, so you're more likely going to be in any new positions for three or four months before moving, and that's going to come across even worse. If you need to start scratching that job-hunt itch, I would focus on looking for jobs in your new place so you can slot right in to something after you move.

Also what's up cosmetics buddy, this industry is loving obnoxious at times and I have wanted to quit my job for at least a year. In fact I've had two bosses quit on me in my 3-ish years at my current position, and the second of those even told me to my face that I should leave my current employer (and maybe even cosmetics as a whole) ASAP if I wanted a real career. We should swap stories once we're both out of our respective jobs...

If you're worried about being boxed into the cosmetics industry, think about what skills and experience you have that could be useful in the context of a different field, and make those stand out on your resume. The three people who have been hired for my department since I've been here had a combined 0 years of cosmetics experience prior to joining with us, but they did have a bunch of relevant technical and office skills that were needed for the job, or they came from tangentially-related industries. This is actually my first job in the cosmetics industry, and if I can hop industries then so can you!
:respek: ~gently caress cosmetics~

I knew in my heart that "stay, duh" would be the answer but sometimes you just need some internet people yelling at you.

Also there are rumors of firings and layoffs about so maybe it's a good thing I'm brushing up my resume. I'm the main person at my job with a specific kind of skill that I have settled into and losing me means hours of training others from essentially the bottom up, but President lady seems to be determined to gently caress like, everything up so :shrug:
One reason is that she thinks the lab is "too crowded". Also she's constantly complaining about keeping costs low to the point where it impedes our jobs and we can't order anything to get special effects and ingredient constraints (stupid, stupid constraints at that) customers specifically request. She wants cutting-edge work with an ingredient list mainly from the 1990s.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Six months is a lot of time, but maybe you could add a certification or additional designation to your resume in the intervening time?

I had thought about learning basic data analysis with Python as it may open me up to QC/QA chemistry type jobs and make me more hireable overall (and it would compliment my Green Belt), maybe I should do that.

Elephanthead posted:

:thunk:

stimulated emission fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 9, 2018

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I quit my job as a chemist and experienced longterm unemployment and ruin. :( Don't do it.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Six months is a lot of time.

I came here to say that six months is actually not a long time. If I know the date I'm quiting/moving, I'd just focus on that and try to enjoy my surroundings for what I can.

Unless your industry operates differently than most, a short term stint at another company will probably look worse overall for future employers and raise questions about you. It's also stressful to find and adjust to a new job in that timeframe, and the nee job may suck just as bad or worse.

I know you're concerned about getting "trapped" in cosmetics, but the six month difference on your resume won't pigeonhole you any more to a future employer than your current year.

Cross the days off the calendar and look for jobs in your new location. If you land something you can just move early.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

stimulated emission posted:

:respek: ~gently caress cosmetics~

I knew in my heart that "stay, duh" would be the answer but sometimes you just need some internet people yelling at you.

Also there are rumors of firings and layoffs about so maybe it's a good thing I'm brushing up my resume. I'm the main person at my job with a specific kind of skill that I have settled into and losing me means hours of training others from essentially the bottom up, but President lady seems to be determined to gently caress like, everything up so :shrug:

:thunk:

Getting fired or laid off can be good in this scenario (the one where you hate your job and want to quit and aren't going to be staying much longer no matter what, but feel forced to muscle through it for the near future) -- you've got a chance of severance pay from a layoff, and if you don't voluntarily quit, you qualify for unemployment.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am no yes man I lay out the worst case scenarios. Homeless in the new city.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Just knowing that you will be leaving your job 6 months from now will probably make your job a lot more tolerable, if not enjoyable, since you don't have to give a gently caress anymore.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, it takes a lot of time generally before you get fired, so if someone is being a jerk to you just say "hey I gotta go to the bathroom" and then go to the bathroom and chill out for a little bit. Stop caring so much, let things roll off your back. If you drop comments that you *may* have IBS, you're even less likely to get fired for this since it's a protected medical reason. If your bosses are Office Space crazy, you might get a raise for doing shittier, who knows.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
Don't quit your job right now. Quit your job in 6 months when you move. That's not a long time to tough it out. Stop giving a gently caress and if they fire you/lay you off well then congrats -- you get severance and/or unemployment and you get a nice little breather before you move.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

moana posted:

Yeah, it takes a lot of time generally before you get fired, so if someone is being a jerk to you just say "hey I gotta go to the bathroom" and then go to the bathroom and chill out for a little bit. Stop caring so much, let things roll off your back. If you drop comments that you *may* have IBS, you're even less likely to get fired for this since it's a protected medical reason. If your bosses are Office Space crazy, you might get a raise for doing shittier, who knows.

And don't quit when you move say you are having issues and can't come to work for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mourne posted:

Don't quit your job right now. Quit your job in 6 months when you move. That's not a long time to tough it out. Stop giving a gently caress and if they fire you/lay you off well then congrats -- you get severance and/or unemployment and you get a nice little breather before you move.

This seems like the better option. Put in as little effort as possible, if needed take a page out of the OSS handbook for sabotaging your workplace: https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2012-featured-story-archive/CleanedUOSSSimpleSabotage_sm.pdf (you'll want to read page 18, section headed "general interferance with organizations and production).

• Locked thread