Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Hello goons,

My budget has changed enormously when I took up my studies again, I'm living on a very restricted income and would like some advice or comments (I don't know what I don't know would be a good title for this thread)

What I have:

$264 weekly in student allowance ($96 left over after everything is paid for)
$873 In the bank

Weekly costs:

$140 board (covers most of my meals, room, power, internet)
$15 phone bill (not very changeable due to the bulk of it being an ipad put on my account. Needed for labs, interest free)
$13 Gym membership

Upcoming expenses:

$115 phone bill (last big one before I dropped my plan)
$189 computer repair bill (only payable if the computer is fixed, no fix no charge deal)

What have I done to cut costs?

Withdrew the $1000 available to me as course costs to clear CC debt.
Now bike to and from school, saving a glorious $5 a day in bus fare
Majorly cut back phone plan which was previously huge due to living situation.
Take lunch and actively buy as little as I can in town.

Other stuff:

Although I had planned to work part time, between school and making time to see my kids I'm not currently able to do that. I fill in surveys online for points I can cash out every now and then. I'm new to this so cant give you an accurate amount.

$1USD is $1.37 of our moon money

I have access to a $1000 overdraft (interest free, but comes with a $6 a month fee, so not really interest free at all)

I'm new to both study and a budget this restricted, I had to use most of my savings to set myself up where I'm living and have a good 3 years of this to look forward to. Any tips and tricks or advise on things I may have missed are welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

504 posted:

Hello goons,

My budget has changed enormously when I took up my studies again, I'm living on a very restricted income and would like some advice or comments (I don't know what I don't know would be a good title for this thread)

What I have:

$264 weekly in student allowance ($96 left over after everything is paid for)
$873 In the bank

Weekly costs:

$140 board (covers most of my meals, room, power, internet)
$15 phone bill (not very changeable due to the bulk of it being an ipad put on my account. Needed for labs, interest free)
$13 Gym membership

Upcoming expenses:

$115 phone bill (last big one before I dropped my plan)
$189 computer repair bill (only payable if the computer is fixed, no fix no charge deal)

What have I done to cut costs?

Withdrew the $1000 available to me as course costs to clear CC debt.
Now bike to and from school, saving a glorious $5 a day in bus fare
Majorly cut back phone plan which was previously huge due to living situation.
Take lunch and actively buy as little as I can in town.

Other stuff:

Although I had planned to work part time, between school and making time to see my kids I'm not currently able to do that. I fill in surveys online for points I can cash out every now and then. I'm new to this so cant give you an accurate amount.

$1USD is $1.37 of our moon money

I have access to a $1000 overdraft (interest free, but comes with a $6 a month fee, so not really interest free at all)

I'm new to both study and a budget this restricted, I had to use most of my savings to set myself up where I'm living and have a good 3 years of this to look forward to. Any tips and tricks or advise on things I may have missed are welcome!

We are missing a lot of information that we'll need in order to help you.

How old are you and where do you live? These matter because we need to know what you're working with as far as social support.

What are you studying and what do you anticipate for work after your studies are complete? 3 years of living like this in US medical school - not such a big deal. If you're doing it to get an MFA, good luck.

"Although I had planned to work part time, between school and making time to see my kids I'm not currently able to do that." Uhhh are you on the hook for anything as far as supporting your children?

Your budget doesn't have categories for ordinary American stuff like transit (do you bike every day rain, shine or snow?), clothing, meals not at school, haircuts, or (importantly for students) beer.

I'm guessing your experience is pretty foreign to most of ours, so I'd like to hear more to help.

• Locked thread