Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

what science fiction movies, especially lesser-known titles, are worth a watch??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Wouldn't necessarily call it lesser known but the Tarkovsky Solaris is good

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, it's a masterpiece. Don't bother with the absolutely lifeless Soderbergh one.

I started typing up a list of recommendations, but it got uselessly long, so I'll just say to watch Blade Runner (my favorite movie; watch the Final Cut and then the workprint), Gattaca, and 12 Monkeys. Also Solaris, obviously.

Tommy Rawhead
Dec 18, 2006

You'll get what you deserve in them Deep Barons, you lez-beans! You won't be causin' no one, no trouble, no more!
Manborg, The Hidden, Hardware, Primer, Coherence, District 9, Timecrimes, El Incidente, Dolcezza Extrema

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm also going to recommend Hard to Be a God, going by everything that I've heard about it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've heard good things about Annihilation, which has been dumped to theaters with no marketing because Paramount sucks rear end. i hope to see it this week

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Night of the Comet, op. And imo Solaris is a pretty good sci fi

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
If you want to go 'old school with a haunting soundtrack,' you can try Forbidden Planet (featuring a young Leslie Nielsen). Also recommending The Last Starfighter.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Planet of the Vampires

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Artsygrrl posted:

If you want to go 'old school with a haunting soundtrack,' you can try Forbidden Planet (featuring a young Leslie Nielsen).
That movie has aged pretty badly compared to 2001 (although the bridge shots are incredible for 1956), but it makes up for it by having a far more pertinent message about evolution.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Bigelow's Strange Days and Cronenberg's Existenz are two of my favorite underrated early 2000s science fiction movies that don't suck

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That movie has aged pretty badly compared to 2001 (although the bridge shots are incredible for 1956), but it makes up for it by having a far more pertinent message about evolution.

I think the only thing that's aged badly about Forbidden Planet is the sexual politics, but even that stands out as historically compelling because it's a great example of how inherently misogynistic freudian psychology is. In every other respect, it's a timeless classic. It has probably my favorite matte paintings in any film, an incredible animated action sequence with something that's invisible, and a soundscape of a quality that's at the top of its decade if not more. This is all to say nothing of its fantastic pulpy dialogue: "Prepare your minds for a new scale of scientific values, gentlemen." I think it's second only to 2001 for me in the genre.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Chill Penguin posted:

Bigelow's Strange Days and Cronenberg's Existenz are two of my favorite underrated early 2000s science fiction movies that don't suck
Both of those are from the '90s. Strange Days is one of the most mid-'90s movies ever made.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I think the only thing that's aged badly about Forbidden Planet is the sexual politics, but even that stands out as historically compelling because it's a great example of how inherently misogynistic freudian psychology is. In every other respect, it's a timeless classic. It has probably my favorite matte paintings in any film, an incredible animated action sequence with something that's invisible, and a soundscape of a quality that's at the top of its decade if not more. This is all to say nothing of its fantastic pulpy dialogue: "Prepare your minds for a new scale of scientific values, gentlemen." I think it's second only to 2001 for me in the genre.
Eh. It's a good movie, but it is very pulpy (that alcoholic cook!), and the Alta scenes really are eye-rolling. They totally whiffed on that animation, too; they should have rotoscoped a model monster, not made it a goofy squashy Disney joke. As smart and ahead of its time as the movie is, neither quality is especially consistent.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Both of those are from the '90s. Strange Days is one of the most mid-'90s movies ever made.

Eh. It's a good movie, but it is very pulpy (that alcoholic cook!), and the Alta scenes really are eye-rolling. They totally whiffed on that animation, too; they should have rotoscoped a model monster, not made it a goofy squashy Disney joke. As smart and ahead of its time as the movie is, neither quality is especially consistent.

Egg on my face lol well i guess that's when i watched them

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Children of men

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I’d probably recommend Star Wars The Last Jedi or Star Trek Beyond but I’m kind of a SyFy nerd so may not be for every one.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
These are some great suggestions!

Lifeforce was a weird one, but had some neat special effects to it.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

None of them OP

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Thought of another one.. Not necessarily "lesser-known" but it's maybe overlooked for its presentation:
Starship Troopers
If you fux with Verhoeven then u know what i mean!!!

Also, Primer was good. Haven't seen it in a while, but it's way better than you'd expect a movie made by a scientist to be.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Starship Troopers is a fun as hell movie. I wonder if they let Neil keep the evil looking trenchcoat?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I have a soft spot for Logan's Run, the original movie Westworld with Yul Brenner and The Last Starfighter.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Stalker you fuckers

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
I'd recommend Ducan Jones' 2009 film Moon with Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey. It's definitely channeling a lot of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey as well as Jones' father (David Bowie) Space Oddity.

I'd also recommend Robot & Frank, a 2012 film starring Frank Langella.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Anyone who doesn't watch District 9 is an idiot. You don't have to enjoy it, but you have to watch it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
District 9 is a mediocre action movie and possibly the most hamfisted racism thinkpiece since the Star trek black face thing

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I take it you haven't seen Bright yet.

Anyways more on topic, Sunshine from Danny Boyle and Alex Garland. It does suddenly turn into a slasher film in the third act bit it's still pretty good.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
While mostly a cheesy comedy from an ancient era, where does Earth Girls are Easy sit? It has aliens, but does it count as sci-fi?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Speleothing posted:

Anyone who doesn't watch District 9 is an idiot. You don't have to enjoy it, but you have to watch it

Chappie was better

fight me

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

David D. Davidson posted:

I take it you haven't seen Bright yet.

lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The Fifth Element

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
And if time travel counts, I've a soft spot for both The Time Machine (1960) and Time After Time (1979).

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

get that OUT of my face posted:

i've heard good things about Annihilation, which has been dumped to theaters with no marketing because Paramount sucks rear end. i hope to see it this week

idg how you gently caress up the simple task of "plaster natalie portman and oscar issac face everywhere" but i guess when you have such an obtuse yet superficial movie on your hands and you are a brainless marketing automoton, it's hard to figure out how to get asses in the seats.

what i'm saying is the movie was not that great, and you can just wait for netflix (which is where it released in the rest of the world)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tommy Rawhead posted:

, El Incidente,

Just watched this on Netflix, man was this a weird movie but I liked it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm gonna watch it when it hits Netflix which is where they should have released it in the first place.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
From the ones still not mentioned, Arrival and Snowpiercer.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Predestination

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also in case they've been forgotten, They Live! Enemy Mine and The Thing (1982)

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Three very fine selections. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Dredd

• Locked thread