Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I was first introduced to this movie in youtube form in the yospos sci fi thread

After actually watching the movie I decided I liked Ma-Ma better than Dredd

Not trying to make light of the fact that she has a dark past and she's passing it on to people

There basically isn't a death scene better than this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjfNQ0lJn4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Dredd the character isn't a very good guy tbf

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new Dredd was really good

Also I did see Bright, which is also hamfisted, but at least it wasnt 'what if aparthied was bad, but was neccessary to prevent the noble savage blacks prawns from walking into traffic and stuff'

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I like the postman. gently caress everyone it rules and has tom petty.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I like the postman. gently caress everyone it rules and has tom petty.

As much as I love to bag on the way Costner's cameras just seem to looooove him I have a personal connection to that movie and have to admit, the one time I saw it it was better than I expected for "dirtworld"

The parts without him are great! Also the concept about the mail reuniting people is good I think. I like David Brin's other books too.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Annihilation is great you fucks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Upgrade kicks rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Annihilation is great you fucks

It was kind of tremendously boring. Think about how much cinematic stunts you could pull with the short term memory loss gimmick

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I’d probably recommend Star Wars The Last Jedi or Star Trek Beyond but I’m kind of a SyFy nerd so may not be for every one.

On that note, incase anyone gave up on Star Trek after Into Darkness, Beyond's probably the best Star Trek movie in about 20 years.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

In Training posted:

Upgrade kicks rear end.

Just saw this today and I have to say, the op is right.

Dolophiend
Jul 4, 2014

Beat me to it. Very good, weird movie.

Sound of My Voice with Brit Marling is good too, but it's kind of a drama with Sci-Fi elements. Good luck finding it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I really enjoyed Cube and Dark City.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in the minority but I like Automata.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

I was fortunate enough to see Dark City without any idea of what I was getting into. Also first parking lot weed smoke.

I saw Cube in my home but also under the cannabis.

Eventually I started renting Eraserhead from the indy VHS store and now I have no friends.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
There's a good low budget sci-fi/drama on Amazon called Movement & Location about refugees from the future coming to live in our time.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Monday_ posted:

There's a good low budget sci-fi/drama on Amazon called Movement & Location about refugees from the future coming to live in our time.

you mean like that one south park episode

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

SciFiDownBeat posted:

you mean like that one south park episode

Yeah, same premise except in this they can blend in and go unnoticed.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
I've always liked Outland :https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082869/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Robocop, Equilibrium, Akira.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
can't believe you forgot the Holiday special :argh:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Caravan of Courage: The Ewok Adventure (1984)
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985)

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Inkspot posted:

Caravan of Courage: The Ewok Adventure (1984)
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985)

As a kid I owned both those on VHS. Years later I would see Return of the Jedi and have the first of many Ewok themed Viet Nam flashbacks.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

yeeeah i got a soft spot for that one. on jupiter's moon sean connery is the only law

also p sure the dude who did set design for Alien worked on Outland

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

bessantj posted:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
World On A Wire is Rainer Werner Fassbinder's 3 and 1/2 hour new wave science fiction epic. The plot is very reminiscent of Philip K Dick's Gnostic 60s and 70s novels. It's like The Matrix for adults.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Explain to me once and for all why people don't like Interstellar except that it's cool to bash on Nolan and Hans Zimmer now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Explain to me once and for all why people don't like Interstellar except that it's cool to bash on Nolan and Hans Zimmer now.

I liked it but I think Nolan or whoever does the sound for his movies prefers loud noises to dialogue.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I didn't hate it, but Interstellar is really inconsistent in tone and realism. Sometimes it acts like it's highbrow and realistic and sometimes its a space adventure with wise-cracking robots.
Early on there's a rocket launch with footage from a camera mounted on the side just like something you'd see on TV, and it's all a big secret because the public would be outraged at the waste of valuable resources... but they have a star trek shuttle that can take off from planets with heavier gravity than Earth.

They also do so little to explore how society on Earth is coping with the planet's imminent death, which I thought was a wasted opportunity.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if they spent any more time on earth the world would probably fall apart. crops failing for "some reason" is kind of a dumb idea and a lot of the tech invented for the space program (especially automation) could be used to increase crop yields or land use. Also self contained farms (on land, in space, or under sea) would probably help significantly. so im fine with staying out of that minefield

the real problem is the decisions around who they sent, what they sent, and how they picked the planets to visit was all really really dumb. Why did you not send robots to these planets in the initial scouting? Why did you not send robots to the planets after arriving with the larger ship? Why did you check the time-warp water-world next to the black hole first instead of the terrestrial, earth-like world?

I enjoyed it for the great visuals and some specific scenes but some of it is just kind of dumb and that's fine. I don't think anyone hates it I think they're just disappointed it wasn't better.

altho maybe theres some Nolan hate for the sake of hating Nolan but I think that's a minority.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I also felt Interstaller was meant to be a very personal movie... so of course it was more focussed on McConaughy and his family and the power of love as opposed to earth at large. It's his story not the story of humankind.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Oh god I'd forgotten that stupid power of love speech.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

if they spent any more time on earth the world would probably fall apart. crops failing for "some reason" is kind of a dumb idea and a lot of the tech invented for the space program (especially automation) could be used to increase crop yields or land use. Also self contained farms (on land, in space, or under sea) would probably help significantly. so im fine with staying out of that minefield

the real problem is the decisions around who they sent, what they sent, and how they picked the planets to visit was all really really dumb. Why did you not send robots to these planets in the initial scouting? Why did you not send robots to the planets after arriving with the larger ship? Why did you check the time-warp water-world next to the black hole first instead of the terrestrial, earth-like world?

I enjoyed it for the great visuals and some specific scenes but some of it is just kind of dumb and that's fine. I don't think anyone hates it I think they're just disappointed it wasn't better.

altho maybe theres some Nolan hate for the sake of hating Nolan but I think that's a minority.

Yeah can't believe anybody would dislike a filmmaker who celebrates fascism in his filmography

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
interstellar isn't a bad movie but they billed it as ULTRA SCIENCE REALISM only to make something that's closer to star trek than space odyssey. Anyway I like it but it's one of Nolan's shittiest movies

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I loved Chronopolis from 1983, directed by Piotr Kamler

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

What streaming services have the best selection of quality sci-fi films along the lines of what is being discussed in this thread? Any niche services that specialize in this sort of stuff? I have Netflix, Hulu, and Prime and I always feel like the selection of sci-fi is usually a few decent popcorn flicks, the expected space operas, and a whole bunch of unwatchable direct-to-DVD vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Colossus: The Forbin Project is a film I watch once a year.

Soundtrack work is awesome and the voice of Colossus is legendary.

• Locked thread