Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That is so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

Dumb question, but I can't get the wording right to Google a useful answer: if a tone pot has 500k ohm resistance, is the resistance 500k when dialled up (ie max treble) or down (max no treble)? Or am I completely thinking about this incorrectly?

The resistance is the value of the resistive track from 1 all the way to 3. If you turn the wiper (2) all the way to 1, the resistance between 1 and 2 is zero and between 2 and 3 is the value of the pot.

Edit: To answer the question you asked, it's the value at max treble: The resistance of the pot is preventing the high frequencies from bleeding to the electric ground through the tone cap. As you turn the tone down, the resistance is lowered and more signal makes it to the capacitor and ground.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 7, 2021

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you press your index finger across the four highest strings on the fifth fret and strum that, you get a C6 chord like the one the ukulele is tuned to. Get a capo, and you’ll be able to play all the uke tunes you already know.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The only difference is that the fourth (closest to your face) string on the ukulele is traditionally tuned an octave up from its guitar equivalent. Ukulele chords are just guitar chords without the bass strings. :eng101:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so, I explained that badly. The guitar's treble strings go DGBE, which is the usual baritone uke tuning. If you capo a guitar on the fifth fret, you get GCEA, which is the "low G" tuning of a ukulele. Then, if you replace the G with a thinner string, you can tune it an octave up to get to the traditional "my dog has fleas" uke tuning gCEA.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

my question is why does the tone slope resistor and mid cap make a low pass RC filter, but not the tone slope resistor and bass cap? Shouldn't that also make a low pass filter?
I'm somewhat sure you could analyse the circuit as if there was, but that would leave you with two identical filters pushing voltage in opposite directions. Ultimately it is the mid cap that filters out the highs because there's less resistance between it and the ground than between the bass cap and the ground.

Or something, I'm still learning this stuff myself.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Depends on whether you want to do the work. You can get a completely fine guitar for the price of a good set of pickups and tuners these days from Squier, Epiphone, Harley Benton or basically anyone really.

Oh and get a used Boss Katana/Yamaha THR for your amp situation.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The neck could be warped so that you can't play some notes up the neck, or parts might be installed crooked so some strings don't intonate properly, or a bunch of other problems. Just download a tuner app on your phone and see if you can play every note. I use Boss's, it's free and doesn't feed me ads.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A potentiometer is just a resistor you can use less of, it doesn't multiply anything. The resistances will just add together.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Holy poo poo :vince:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My guesses are that either one of the many amplifier stages is getting bypassed, or the chip's busted, or a majority of the signal is shorting out to ground somehow. It's possible to make an amplifier that stays at unity gain (ie. voltage in = voltage out) or even less, but unless they sent you the wrong chip that's probably not what's happened.

I'd email the company, they should know the circuit best and can help you troubleshoot it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Make sure Q1 and Q4 are facing one way on the circuit board and Q2 and Q3 the other.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oof, that sounds awful.

But yeah I dunno. If the filter knob works, I'm pretty sure the problem must be between its wiper and VOut. Q4's responsible for making up the loss in volume caused by the clipping and the tone stages, so either that's busted or there's a short somewhere bypassing it. Maybe C18 to the volume wiper? No idea how the board looks on the trace side so I'm just guessing based on the layout.

But 100% guessing here.