Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Spring is almost upon us in the northern hemisphere, so it's time to give everything a good clean.

On a dry but pref. somewhat windy day, I unplug and take every computer outside, open them up and use the spray can with "air" to blast all the dust out. The "air" smells more like butane making this far more exciting than it has to be. Be sure to stand upwind from computer when doing this, or you'll be reminded of your mistake next time you blow your nose. Or just wear a dust mask and be a cyberpunk.

Like my own daily shower, it's a very disgusting but obviously necessary activity.

It looks like my home server was home to a spider at one point. A comfy 26º C, a few cm under the hard drive, it's a good place to spend the cold winter months.

No pictures of the process but I did find these relics when I scope creeped the spring cleaning to cleaning out the house.

Share your [computer] spring cleaning rituals ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

bleach wipes to get the jizz stains off da micro ATX

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

accidentally dumpstering your mp3 collection while moving your stuff to a file server, and not being terribly bothered about putting it back

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't post much about it, but I actually run a computer detailing business and for the first time ever I'm offering discounts to yospos only THIS SPRING! Stop on by with your server, no desktops please:

code:
 * Express Exterior  - 1u $50 - 2u $55 - 3u $60 - 4u+ call us today!  

- Hand apply one coat of high quality wax to your server and buff
    - Clean all ports with duster and compressed air - no bitterants guaranteed!

* Express Interior - 1u $30 - 2u $35 - 3u $40 - 4u+ call us today!  

- Fan speed check, slow/non-functional fans replaced*
     - Full dust removal with our patented micro-vacuum 
     - All cable management zip ties tightened

* Full Exterior - 1u $90 - 2u $95 - 3u $99 - 4u+ call us today!

- The Express Exterior plus more:
     - Chassis rail system fully deburred and lubricated
     - All screws and fasteners relubricated with high durability lithium grease
     - Front panel displays cleaned and polished for optimal visibility

* Full Interior- 1u $80 - 2u $85 - 3u $90 - 4u+ call us today!

- The Express Interior plus more:
     - CMOS batteries replaced with fresh CR2032 
     - BIOS firmware check and update 
     - Reapply thermal paste to all processors

* additional fees appy for replacement. Not all fans in stock, call for availability 
When you bring your server to the shop just use the discount code PIZZA PASTA for a 5% discount. Remember: a clean server is a happy server. Don't risk your business on a poorly maintained computer!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

last year someone in the department next to ours cleaned out an office and found a box of magneto-optical disks still in shrinkwrap

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Salt Fish posted:

I don't post much about it, but I actually run a computer detailing business and for the first time ever I'm offering discounts to yospos only THIS SPRING! Stop on by with your server, no desktops please:

When you bring your server to the shop just use the discount code PIZZA PASTA for a 5% discount. Remember: a clean server is a happy server. Don't risk your business on a poorly maintained computer!

Do you use the three color wax like a fancy car wash? This is important.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I just vacuum the spinning/sharp bits twice a year, OP

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i just buy a new macbook pro every year

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
My video card was making a noise a few days ago, but it went away. probably need to clean the thing but that doesn't bode well for the fan bearings

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Something in my PC makes a noise for about a minute right after I turn it on. It's quiet after that. I really should replace this entire system. Motherboard and CPU turned 10 last month :toot:

I also had my hard drive make a racket at some point, turns out it was a loose unused power cable leaning against the drive.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I just vacuum the spinning/sharp bits twice a year, OP

Doesn't this create a risk of damaging the hardware through static electric shock?

I vacuum the dust filters on my main system. But I remove them first.

Dust filters own. You can take much longer between cleans.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i just reinstalled my os but its a pos so ill prob install another

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Dongslayer. posted:

i just reinstalled my os but its a pos so ill prob install another

vicious cycle

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

thebigcow posted:

Do you use the three color wax like a fancy car wash? This is important.

It's ski wax for maximum performance when you're racking and unracking it.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

not keyboard goop. voted 1

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Stick Insect posted:

On a dry but pref. somewhat windy day, I unplug and take every computer outside, open them up and use the spray can with "air" to blast all the dust out.

The virgin canned air vs. the chad compressor

Nice Ashton-Tate though. That'd make a good name for a portland-based alternative music act, like, you could be the next Sleater-Kinney or whatever

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
cleaned out the ol desktop last weekend, man it was dusty as gently caress, redid the cable routing and wiped down the case with bleach wipes. clean compute

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bleach?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have a 13.8v 30 amp power supply that runs the ham shack here, and every 3 months I have to disassemble it and blow the cat hair out of the (formidable) heatsinks.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

hifi posted:

bleach?

clorox wipes, its not really bleach

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
scrub my keyboards nut guard

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Stick Insect posted:

Doesn't this create a risk of damaging the hardware through static electric shock?

I vacuum the dust filters on my main system. But I remove them first.

Dust filters own. You can take much longer between cleans.
Hasn't happened in ten years of sucking computers :shrug:

dust filters do indeed own

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Tom Collins posted:

The virgin canned air vs. the chad compressor

Nice Ashton-Tate though. That'd make a good name for a portland-based alternative music act, like, you could be the next Sleater-Kinney or whatever

It reminds me of Tessier-Ashpool.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
https://i.imgur.com/g5Ekbjk.mp4

So many mistakes here. Wrong nozzle, reducing the force of the blast. Keyboard not upside-down so no help from gravity, candle nearby (which generates dust).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SO DEMANDING posted:

last year someone in the department next to ours cleaned out an office and found a box of magneto-optical disks still in shrinkwrap

what kind of MO

if they were floptical they were worth their weight in gold

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
reasonably pure vinegar and a soft toothbrush to clean up corrosion after desoldering the caps from hell

99.99% isopropyl and a soft toothbrush to clean up everything after soldering in new polymer caps of truth and justice

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Next step: clean keyboard

I have a cheapo Logitech K120 "for business". It says "for business" but gently caress you I won't do what you tell me. I'm using it at home.

It's super easy to remove the keys part from the electronicky parts. All the keys remain attached to the front panel part so it's little effort to put it all back together. I chuck it in with the dishes and give it a good clean. Same goes for the rubbery part that goes underneath the keys. Dishes and keyboard are mostly covered in food bits - same solution to same problem.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

what kind of MO

if they were floptical they were worth their weight in gold

nah not floptical. which is a very fun word. floptical!

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
After putting my desktop through the washing machine, I put it outside to air dry (cant put in dryer, it gets too hot), and now my computer is covered in pollen. Bad advice, OP. Do not listen to the OP!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I actually have to literally wash my computer with dish soap.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
use the dawn dish soap with the happy little ducky on it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nothing, op

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

take it out back and hose it off

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
my computer doesn't have springs

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Emptied my recycle bin for the first time in 2 years.

32GB / 63,829 items deleted.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
just hide your desktop icons. next question.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Dongslayer. posted:

take it out back and hose it off

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i agree, gotta help timb out

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a v. good strategy until recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
brother got me an air compressor for christmas and i use that to dust my PC outside. beats the hell out of canned air.

• Locked thread