Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Spring is almost upon us in the northern hemisphere, so it's time to give everything a good clean.

On a dry but pref. somewhat windy day, I unplug and take every computer outside, open them up and use the spray can with "air" to blast all the dust out. The "air" smells more like butane making this far more exciting than it has to be. Be sure to stand upwind from computer when doing this, or you'll be reminded of your mistake next time you blow your nose. Or just wear a dust mask and be a cyberpunk.

Like my own daily shower, it's a very disgusting but obviously necessary activity.

It looks like my home server was home to a spider at one point. A comfy 26º C, a few cm under the hard drive, it's a good place to spend the cold winter months.

No pictures of the process but I did find these relics when I scope creeped the spring cleaning to cleaning out the house.

Share your [computer] spring cleaning rituals ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Something in my PC makes a noise for about a minute right after I turn it on. It's quiet after that. I really should replace this entire system. Motherboard and CPU turned 10 last month :toot:

I also had my hard drive make a racket at some point, turns out it was a loose unused power cable leaning against the drive.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I just vacuum the spinning/sharp bits twice a year, OP

Doesn't this create a risk of damaging the hardware through static electric shock?

I vacuum the dust filters on my main system. But I remove them first.

Dust filters own. You can take much longer between cleans.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Tom Collins posted:

The virgin canned air vs. the chad compressor

Nice Ashton-Tate though. That'd make a good name for a portland-based alternative music act, like, you could be the next Sleater-Kinney or whatever

It reminds me of Tessier-Ashpool.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
https://i.imgur.com/g5Ekbjk.mp4

So many mistakes here. Wrong nozzle, reducing the force of the blast. Keyboard not upside-down so no help from gravity, candle nearby (which generates dust).

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Next step: clean keyboard

I have a cheapo Logitech K120 "for business". It says "for business" but gently caress you I won't do what you tell me. I'm using it at home.

It's super easy to remove the keys part from the electronicky parts. All the keys remain attached to the front panel part so it's little effort to put it all back together. I chuck it in with the dishes and give it a good clean. Same goes for the rubbery part that goes underneath the keys. Dishes and keyboard are mostly covered in food bits - same solution to same problem.

• Locked thread