Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
book is bad

don't hurt yourself, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was about to agree that the narrative would be better if, at the very least, Wade didn't care much about the 80's and just treated it like a job.

The problem is that the book is written so poorly that if Wade didn't explicitly tell us a few times that he loves the 80's, it might as well have been just a job. And it still sucks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The more I think about it, the more I think it'll be okay if the bad guys get control of OASIS.

Oh noooo ads in my Virtual sandbox. If, in return, they reduce transportation fees I think people would be okay with that. Seriously, what the gently caress, you have a game where there's nothing to do in the starting zone and it's not possible to farm enough money to get off, so it's just full of people idly milling about. That's pretty shoddy game design if you ask me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
when does carrot top make an appearance

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

If there's an infinite amount of content in OASIS then that means somewhere there is an entire handbook for mortals planet where you can hang out with virutal carrot top, casting chaos Magicks, and listening to the hit White Tees jams

You know that if OASIS was real, there would've been a goon rush of Zade_Homunculus1 alts roaming the Handbook for Mortals planet, all with 0 points statted into Chaos Magickckckck so they're equally as talented as zade (get it??????????????????????????)

Yes I know alts are against the rules but goons would've figured out a way.

e: What this book really needs is stereotypical goon shenanigans loving up everyone's serious experiences. A dance party in a public PvP zone? Crashing events being held in public PvP zones is a time honored MMO tradition. I'm surprised some rando whale didn't drop one of those e-bay neutron bombs into the gaping hole in the top of the dance hall because they thought it would be funny.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 20, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

someone got the latest phat lewt from an endgame raid that everyone could identify on sight, or for that matter some ultra-rare mount that took months of reputation farming or getting incredibly lucky with a rare drop.

But instead, Wade's Delorian that he got from a bog standard quest line available to everyone in the game with some ghost busters stickers mashed on afterwards makes him the coolest kid in town that turns heads. Ohhh Cline's self insert Wade we love you you're the best and the coolest you can't do anything wrong. Even when you get what's left of your family blown up and missing out on $5 million by refusing to hand over information that was obviously going to be available on Google within a week.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wade and Hollandaise are basically the same person anyway because they're so lifeless.

For that matter, everyone in the book is the same person.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
No way. Parzival needs a woman to conquer love interest so he can get the girl at the end of the book.

I'm also calling that Art3mis will be the only major female character.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
halfway through the book and we haven't actually seen any combat more complicated than "someone else released a spell and everyone blew up". Despite it being an MMO.

In my head, OASIS sword combat works the same as in any other MMO. You just stand there and face tank the enemy and smack em with your sword for a bit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I engaged the mountain troll in hand-to-hand combat and defeated him after a long and arduous battle. Then I drank some e-mountain dew and got my HPs back.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

There was only one possible explanation: Daito had just been killed.

Or, you know

Maybe he was just banned

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm surprised with the vast network of accounts the sixers wield, they don't just report-spam people they don't like until all the gunthers get auto-banned.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The biggest crime in this book is that Daito and Shoto are not a pair of weeabos who met at anime club and live in their parent's basements

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Daito dies the way Wade should have.

IOI shows up at his door and drags him outside. Daito dies from the shock of having the sun touch his skin for the first time in years.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
In a perfect world, Wade swears off Art3mis and gets together with Aech.

Listen I don't care that she's a lesbian, they have the most wonderful bromance anyway. I suspect half the reason she's a lesbian to begin with is just an excuse for this scenario to not happen.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fish Noise posted:

Post your OASIS avatars.

My Sonic OC character, do not steal.

His name is also Sonic, no relation.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The biggest crime is that the good guys don't have the Megazord so we can't have Megazord Vs. Voltron fight.

The problem is that is a good idea.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sperglord Actual posted:

My gut tells me the big twist about Aech was added after the initial drafts and this is to minimize the amount of rewriting Cline had to do.

The even easier explanation is "Well this is how Aech requested I refer to her within OASIS to help maintain her identity blah blah blah blah blah"

boom done everyone's happy

e: that explanation makes sense in the context of a more well written book that's not completely written in past tense though.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 2, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Angry Salami posted:

So this fucker read the Almanac, recognized the quote at the end as Shakespeare... but didn't bother checking what play it was from or the context it appeared in or anything to see if that was a clue?

Wade, you are the worst puzzle solver in literary history.

But he aced the game anyway, because he's Wade and he's the most amazing person on the planet ohhh wade I love you so much

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Thanks for reading yet another awful book for us.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fish Noise posted:

Probably not the most basic of grunt units - I can see the argument for generics and interoperability because of what the Sixers are actually doing in the background, but they're also going in hard on playing to win. If they're using the grunt units, it oughta be the high end poo poo like all those perfect flowfield dodgy fuckers with energy shields in the later parts of Wing. That's your minimum.
However, this also runs into the giant robot selection being unique choices. Mass production models might show up, but only once. No point in taking those, they literally can't go for quantity-has-a-quality-of-its-own there.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Halliday only implemented a dozen or so unique giant mechs to be picked after the second gate, then have an unlimited number of weaker, generic mechs available for the stragglers. This way you can field armies of generic urbanmechs, veritechs, mocks, or whatever you want to get wiped out en masse by the heroes super weapons.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

chitoryu12 posted:

The movie completely removes Archaide and has the quarter be flipped to Wade by the Curator of Halliday's Journals when he wins a bet. It's revealed at the end that the seemingly NPC Curator is actually Ogden Morrow's avatar, and he gave Wade an edge to try and beat IOI.

Morrow would've felt pretty silly if Wade squandered it getting killed by a bear while grinding.

• Locked thread