Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Exit Strategy posted:

The best thing to do with a group like that? Run a combat-free campaign. Don't even give your NPCs stat blocks.

Or find a copy of The Apocalypse Stone. Its designed for that poo poo.

Even if you somehow beat the Beholders, Dragons, the Devil and a loving Tarrasque, the multiverse gets destroyed. Problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The whole 'friends don't really count if its only online' really shows Clines age, the idea that its only physical meetings that matter. For kids raised on a VR sandbox that is apparently as immersive as real life, it makes little sense. Even with text and maybe voip, myself and mates have made long lasting friendships, regardless of geography. Some I've since met which was more of a milestone, others I still haven't and have no feelings of lessening the connection.

Its the kind of thing a paternal figure would say, not one half of said relationship.

As for Wades 'character', lets go Plinkett on him-

RLM posted:

You must describe the character without mentioning:
Appearance
Skills
Plot relevance
Relationships
You must only describe the character in terms of their personality.

Here goes... ________ __________ ________ _________ He's an arsehole ___ ________ ______ __________ ___________ _____ _______ _________ __________ ______________ ______________

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ccs posted:

My favorite stupid thing about this book is that there is still school bullying even though users have the option of block other users. So the nerds are just forgetting that handy feature when their avatars are getting stuffed in lockers.

The PvP restriction only stops physical harm. Mental and psychological harm, however...

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

SerialKilldeer posted:

Cline has a superficial admiration of great scientists but is totally ignorant of their actual accomplishments?

Fixed that for ya

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Aren't Serenity and Bebop about the same size? Why wouldn't he have ample hangar space.

On every level of the :spergin: spectrum, this book annoys me

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mel Mudkiper posted:

so been doing some looking into Armada and it actually makes RPO look competent by comparison

:hai:
I nodded. Not in agreement, but simply to indicate that I understood the reference.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Deptfordx posted:

Just looked at the Wikipedia plot summary for Armada, and I'm not sure which it's ripping of more, The Last Starfighter or Enders Game.

Enders Last Guardian of the Baby Starfighter Game Driver Galaxy, Vol. 2

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

My disgust for the 'I can use guns in VR therefore real life ones are easy' line is only reduced because Cline had a reference in that last section that I understood, without him outright explaining it.

More drops like Harry Tuttle, less 'a Firefly ship from Firefly which starred a Firefly' anvils.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Deptfordx posted:

Wait. So anyone can email every other person on the future internet. How fortunate nobody has ever attempted to exploit this ability for financial gain/their own amusement leading to it's removal.

They use the bulk spam filters Wade obviously used for his several million emails when he got famous.

So obviously only a few lonely housewives will read it before sharing it on OASISbook with Minion pictures, and no one else

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It also annoys me that this is being played during the fight and not lets say the opening to Beast King GoLion, or something else thematically appropriate.

I like AC/DC. It's mandatory for anyone who is an Australian citizen. I also really like Dirty Deeds.

It should never be used as an arming up song. All I can think of is when Avengers used Shoot to Thrill, which did fit the scene.

Though the fact that a song about a guy who will do anal sex for money being Wades battle music amuses me slightly.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sperglord Actual posted:

Did anyone pick BattleTech? Because if not, that's just :sad:

Of course not, it was a 90s cartoon so was outside of the books frame of reference :colbert:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sperglord Actual posted:

Is this a joke? I really hope this is a joke.

Considering Cline treated Tomb of Horrors as some obscure tabletop supplement, I can see how his only possible exposure to Battletech involved Adam 'MY HOME PLANET' Steiner, never knowing the game exists (except for Mechwarrior, and then only because of huge MW2 was)

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sperglord Actual posted:

Cheap Inner Sphere mechs. :colbert:
No, because that means giving them Urbies. Which they don't deserve

Although it would mean they square off with some try hard Clanners...

'The walking tanks formed up into a loose formation, two sets of five, while an eleventh Battlemech stood a hundred metres out front. The squat chicken-legged war machine glistened in bright crimson, with a snarling wolfs head painted on each of the boxy missile launchers mounted above its dropping gun arms.

"I am Vladimir Adamska Kerensky, Khan of Clan Wolf. I bid my Timberwolf and command binary to this Trial. With what forces do you wish"

His transmission cut off as a flying pink tavern slammed into his Battlemech, crushing it totally.'

I lost track, were there any H2G2 references at all? I swear 'Don't Panic' showed up somewhere.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Samizdata posted:

Or it would be time-apropos for some of the Goonters to show up as a WAAAGH! wif 'Ard Boys, Mega-Armored Nobz, and a bunch a Shoota Boyz to add dakka to da stupid pinkskinz!

I just want ALL the droptroops raining from on high during the fight

Colonial Marines, ODSTs, Elysian Droptroops, Space Marines, Roughnecks, GDI Shock Infantry. As soon as the shield is down, they're hammering on the castle and getting killed off by the dozens as the main characters fight to them.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Choco1980 posted:

Are...are those words, or are you having a stroke?

The Ork language makes heavy use of blows to the skull.

That's also the recommended method to prepare yourself before you dive into Warhammer lore.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sperglord Actual posted:

Please tell me it sounds authentic.

"I like to keep this for close encounters' she sighed as she drew her Lancer

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want a reference that not everyone would get, during his intro scene Aech is seen dual-wielding the rail guns from Eraser and Art3mis may use the Lawgiver II from the 1995 Judge Dredd. Wade uses a rocket launcher in the final battle that I swear I recognize, but I'm not entirely sure what it is. Might have been from Halo? I know Aech uses an MA5B before getting the rail guns.

Had a dig for screengrabs and yep- its the twin tube SPNKr launcher he's using. :spergin:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Testekill posted:

There was actually a particularly painful reference when Wade was listing off all the poo poo that he (and of course Cline) likes and he just randomly drops Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil into it. That actually made me hyper focus on that reference because there's no loving way that he knows what that song is all about let alone any of their discography. At the very least he could have made a joke about the frontman being a poo poo politician but nope.

This. Is there any relevance to a song about forced relocation of natives in order to do nuclear weapon testing, to anything in this book? Also, Blue Sky Mine is their best song, Read About It a close second :colbert:

I was as confused by this as the live action Death Note having loving Australian Crawl in the intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

loquacius posted:

Also: the Simpsons

I read that part and was like "you mean just the Tracey Ullman shorts or what :confused:" but that doesn't work because he talks about knowing Springfield better than he knows his hometown and I don't think they even went outside much in the Tracey Ullman shorts sooo

Wade probably read that Halliday did watch some Simpsons at some point, so obviously you had to watch all of it.

Which I assume means all 45 seasons, to burn away entire years of his life.

• Locked thread