Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

This is Domehead. He's an odd duck, and proof that it truly takes all kinds to skin a glyphid. He's friendly enough and will join his fellow dwarves for a round at the bar, but he isn't very talkative. To them, at least. He's always mumbling to himself about something or other. Nothing devious, and in fact usually it's something mundane like him musing about how he's gonna break his latest Jetty Boot high score (none of the other dwarves can come close) or about the inner workings of whatever gun he's found the manual of around the Space Rig. He also will not take the helmet off for any reason, which just make him even more inscrutable. His co-workers are more bemused by him than anything. He's pretty chill and they know he can be counted on in a pinch, so they're content to let him be his own weird little self

Domehead's shotty is something he picked up for himself the first time he got promoted. He doesn't splurge very often, but this boxy red wonder was just too clean to pass up. He's tweaked it to maximize raw destructive potential, and though he quietly and competently wastes swarms with this bad boy as they approach, he's almost too quick on the draw for it to just be another day at the office for him.

Other dwarves can never really get a read on ol' Domehead. He doesn't emote much and the helmet makes him even harder to parse. But when he slams one of these grenades right in the jaw of a praetorean and watches it disintegrate, his fellow dwarves have sworn they've seen a glint in his eye even through that dome of his. This grenade launcher is the end result of many a sleepless night tinkering away, and the results speak for themselves.

Domehead's pickaxe is a funny one, a combination of nerdy numbers and readouts and an edgy look. According to Domehead, the skull head and black-and-red scheme "just seemed like the thing to do." One time one of his coworkers hid his pickaxe away behind the Abyss Bar as a prank. Domehead, rather than hunt for his precious pickaxe, recalibrated the Space Rig's gravity just to jostle it out of its hiding spot. The costs were astronomical. Mission Control makes sure nobody touches Domehead's pickaxe anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i am wntering the dwarf contest with my dwarf whose name is Lootbug Thumper

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I fear him

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I fear whatever the thumping might be

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

cumpantry posted:

i am wntering the dwarf contest with my dwarf whose name is Lootbug Thumper

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lmao

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Some very rad outfits being posted.

I have a general question though, I went on holiday to see a friend who moved country and I find out he picked up Deep Rock to play but unfortunately we're on different consoles. I assume nothing more has been mentioned about crossplay in a while?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It looks like crossplay is only available for PCs and Xboxes, unfortunately.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Hwurmp posted:

It looks like crossplay is only available for PCs and Xboxes, unfortunately.

And even then, only ms store version, not steam

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
GSG hasn't implemented their own platform-agnostic account system so the only cross-play available is Windows store and Xbox versions. Would be nice if the major platforms could hammer out an agreement on cross-play to make it easier on developers for every game.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I mean, Sea of Thieves is about to be released on PlayStation, offering seamless crossplay with Xbox, MS Store and Steam, which has been running since 2018.

It's certainly possible.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I mean, Sea of Thieves is about to be released on PlayStation, offering seamless crossplay with Xbox, MS Store and Steam, which has been running since 2018.

It's certainly possible.

It's possible, but also highly dependent on how a game is structured. Each major platform has their own rules on things like how usernames are handled and requirements for player communication (e.g. can you block someone who's being an rear end in a top hat?). Then you get to the back end of gameplay, where clients are connecting to a host - most cross-play games are ones using dedicated servers, because direct connections between clients using different platform-provided networking APIs is problematic.

It would be a substantial amount of work to refactor the game this late in its life to add additional cross-play, which is at odds with their general design philosophy of minimal overhead. I'm sure they've already considered it, and the financial cost of doing it would not have gone down since then.

half a kumquat
Mar 14, 2018

If you'd ask me, I'd be entering my Scout because I feel the most attached to him despite just being a goofy cosplay, but I am gonna post the whole gang anyway and you can choose, Kith. I love these dumb dwarves.

Erik The Swift

It wasn't all that surprising for Erik anymore that he had gotten lost yet again. And not even the locale he had gotten catapulted to was that strange - he had been aboard the spaceship of a futuristic, lifesucking, all-consuming force before (albeit not while getting paid). It was slightly more surprising, and somewhat more humiliating, that everyone welcomed him with open arms right away. "Rock and stone, dwarven colleague!" Erik knew he was the most diminutive of his friends, but being mistaken for a dwarf, of all things, bruised his pride just a tad. On the flipside, Erik's quick feet, quicker wit, and sometimes even quicker insults made him popular with his new co-workers. Once he had gotten equipped with what appeared to be a magic pain dispenser (the Engineer called it a "deepcore") and a crossbow that would have made Baleog and his bow look even greener from all the envy, Erik speedily rose through the ranks. Now, Erik spends his days in a relatively content routine, though he still misses home terribly - maybe that darn Wormhole Special will bring him back one day ...

Exterminator (as named by himself) / Bug Joe (as named by his colleagues)

Rules. Comfort. Peace. None of that matters when you enter the festering hell they call "Hoxxes". In this place forsaken by any kind of civilized life, only the most ruthless can endure. "Kill or be killed" is the only law and the predators its sole judge, jury, and executioner. Anyone entering the lairs of these monsters unprepared is bound to end up as their next meal ... slowly, painfully dissolving in their corrosive acid. You cannot simply walk in there and call yourself top of the food chain ... you have to prove it. And the only language these ungodly beasts are fluent in is sheer, brutal, instinct. So a mere dwarven mind will get crushed before it can even comprehend the dangers ahead. No, what you need is an insect's mind. To beat a bug, you must become a bug. Study their movements. Imitate their way of the hunt. Clad yourself in the carapace of their ilk that you have torn apart. Harvest their scent glands and fasten them to your armor, dousing yourself in the foul scents they use to identify their kind. Stop engaging in frivolous pursuits like "dancing" or "Jetty Boot" that just take away precious time you could be spending immersed in your prey's mindset. Stop using pointless things like "dwarven speech". Your colleagues might find the hissing and clicking noises confusing, but no matter. You might even need to stop kicking barrels for a while, but great sacrifices must be made to become the apex predator. To fully become ... THE EXTERMINATOR.

Seppl Flintenhuber

Nobody remembers what Seppl's original, parent-given, name was. All anyone knows is that he is what dwarves call a "bayraboo" - Someone so fascinated by a specific ancient dwarven culture that they model their entire lifestyle around it. Seppl swears his chosen name, leather shorts-based look, blond dyed beard and copious beer consumption even by dwarven standards are all very respectful ways to keep the history of the Bavarois dwarves alive, of course. His other hobbies include carving elaborate balconies out of wood, practicing the archaic language with phrases like "Zwoa Hoibe san aa a Läbakassemme!", putting stickers saying "BMW" onto company property when nobody's looking, and taxidermy.

ZZ "The Top" Conan

Every crew needs a backbone. The reasonable one who keeps the ship afloat, the course straight, the shenanigans to a minimum. Born into a family of engineers, ZZ was named after the second most volatile dwarven element, setting him up for a life of science, tinkering, and of course many, many explosions (mostly within parameters). ZZ graduated from Unkar's Academy For Ordinances, High-Powered Lasers & Artistic Beard Styling with honors and then promptly chose the single most dangerous job assignment he could find. All in the name of science, of course. Someone has to use their vast intellect on the wildest of dwarven frontiers, after all, and ZZ is clearly the most reasonable, focused dwarf for the job. You didn't see any weird robotic arms and unsanctioned lasers coming out of his guns, did you? Exactly.

half a kumquat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 7, 2024

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I appreciate that Seppl Flintenhuber's gun also seems to be wearing a lederhosen. :lol:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
These are great and I see Erik or Seppl winning. :3:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Last chance for submissions! Entries will be tallied at midnight MDT, or in roughly 10 hours.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

I've recently been branching out to other weapons because I need to unlock all the weapon paintjobs even if I won't use them and I gotta say, Spinning Death Breach Cutter is very fun.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kith posted:

Last chance for submissions! Entries will be tallied at midnight MDT, or in roughly 10 hours.

I just haven’t had time but I really wanted to enter my gunner the sentient beard in a mk5 gunner suit

Oh well

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dogen posted:

I just haven’t had time but I really wanted to enter my gunner the sentient beard in a mk5 gunner suit

Oh well

what is stopping you from posting

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm going to bed and that means submissions are closed! Thank you to everyone who entered!

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
Too late to enter, but I finally re-tought myself how to post a photo from the app. Meet my Willie Nelson-themed dwarf:

TadBradley fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 8, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This has been absolutely incredible. I own the game and have never played it. I had no idea the fashion game was this strong! It's like the Fromsoft games where they *look* like one kind of game but are secretly Pretty Prince Dress Up Simulator.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

It's kind of amazing how fun dwarf dress-up is. Genuinely not sure the game would've had as much staying power if these stubby lil' goobers weren't our player characters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HopperUK posted:

This has been absolutely incredible. I own the game and have never played it. I had no idea the fashion game was this strong! It's like the Fromsoft games where they *look* like one kind of game but are secretly Pretty Prince Dress Up Simulator.

play it imo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The amazing part is that it's all accessories and costumes. The base dwarf shape never changes, not even between classes

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I just realized there's no food on the space rig, only beer

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
They get hot dogs and pretzels during oktoberfest, or at least ballons shaped like em.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a sausage in the beer. The boys are being taken care of, don't you worry.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Tbf, I'm not that far into the game yet and I don't have nearly enough cosmetics unlocked to make a passable "costume" or theme for even one of my dwarves. :v:

I just started on my first engineer and so far I just slap on anything that looks silly.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/548430/view/4195740093438639600?l=english

Q&A stuff about reactivating past seasons. The biggest takeaway is that you can go back and work through old performance passes and cosmetic trees for the stuff. Seasonal stuff won't be in cargo crates/lost packs/etc anymore. Also special note:

quote:

As part of this, we’re replacing the “Disable Season Content” option with a season simply called Vanilla. This option has no associated Performance Pass, and a balanced chance to spawn Events and Warnings from all seasons.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 8, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I just realized there's no food on the space rig, only beer

There are a bunch of empty takeout boxes scattered about, but no actual visible food.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kith posted:

There are a bunch of empty takeout boxes scattered about, but no actual visible food.

But where is the takeout coming from?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

"Where's the bathrooms on the rig?" You guys ask too many questions.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Look, all's I'm saying is, let us harvest ingredients from hoxxes and then cook recipes on the rig

Also, and I've said this countless times, beer taps in the drop pod

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cold beers in the seats would be pretty drat cool

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kith posted:

Cold beers in the seats would be pretty drat cool

Same, but also ingame

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

And the winners are, in no particular order:

Handsome Dancing Fellow,

Orangest Engineer,

Actually Just A Very Short Human,

The Driller Who Matched Armor Colors With His Drills,

A Random Lava Elemental,

Legally Distinct,

Brown Bowlcut,

The Mossman,

Super Soaker Uncle,

And The Bushwhacker.

Thank you all for participating! If you don't have PMs, please let me know how else to contact you.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
We’re rich!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

heck yeah,

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

We’re rich!

thanks for running the contest Kith, always fun seeing all the variety :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

*RECORD SCRATCH*

EXCITING UPDATE ON THE FASHION CONTEST

Due to the graciousness of Hwurmp giving their prize to a runner-up, it appears that is our 11th winner!

Please provide me with some flavor of contact details at your earliest convenience.