Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Now, I haven't had the chance to play it myself yet, and I'm still at work, but I have been watching a bunch of streams and gameplay.

I see a lot of complaints about logistics ITT. Have none of you used shuttle hubs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

shuttles are a dice roll if you get them tho, it's tech and not standard

Doesn't one of the leader backgrounds start with it revealed?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

pedro0930 posted:

I am starting to think farming is a waste of time. It costs tons of water, space, and manpower yet it's extremely cheap to buy it from earth while weighing very little. Just get more fuel refineries and research related tech to get regular shipments. I managed to keep 200 people fed with imported food and have plenty of money to outsource research and import advanced resources even at a dust storm heavy zone. In that run I picked the space Mormon and the start was slow as gently caress. I think it took about 50-60 sol for the colony to start gaining momentum.
One of the mysteries, the one I got in my still ongoing first run, is World War 3 which prevents you from sending supplies from Earth. I can still get prefabs and drones, but not any actual supplies.
It does give you 5 sols to ship stuff before the embargo takes effect at least.

At first it stopped all rocket traffic. That lasted for five or so sols. Then they opened up for exports and shipping prefabs, but I've now been cut off from supplies for 20+ sols and counting.

I nearly died once when I ran low on electronics at the same time as two out of the three fusion generators that power my everything broke down.

The breakthrough that let's you upgrade fusion generators to run at 150% and not need people is amazing, but don't forget to build batteries like I did. :downs:
Two of the basic batteries is not enough to run four domes of various sizes filled with stuff.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The top item on my personal wishlist is a fleshed out commuting system.
One with several options, like
*tunnels between domes. Cheap, but limited in distance.
*taxi shuttles. Fast, but takes fuel and are grounded during storms.
*subway. Expensive to build, runs on electricity but is immune to meteors.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Trip report after getting bored with my first run:

Aside from keeping the save around to grind up the get 200 vegans and build 1000 buildings achievements, I'm calling this run over and done with.

I'm at sol 227, got just shy of three thousand colonists mostly in oval domes, and have built all wonders.

Now, I went with Rocket Scientist and International Mars Mission on a measly 45% difficulty start. It proved to be a bit too easy.

In it current state it feels like the game is a bit shallow to work as a pure city builder, while at the same time being too fiddly.
Having to manually put down the exact same pattern of service buildings in your sixteenth dome isn't especially engaging, and as others in the thread said before, drone management sucks.
I'm swimming in resources, so I can just build as many drones as I want. The bad thing is building the drone prefabs in the drone factory. You have to click the build drone button once for each and evert drone you want. Can't press and hold, or say ctrl+click to order 10 at once.
And then you have to click a button on each drone hub you want to reinforce to add one drone. If you want to bring a hub from 6 up to 20 drones, that's 28 clicks just for ordering and assigning drones.

The information for your food production is a bit lacklustre. As with all the other resources it shows how much you produced and how much you used the last sol. But since one harvest takes longer than one sol, that's not very helpful. All you can do is to look at the number on the stockpile and see if it's gone up or down over time.
Really wish the tool tip for the food had last 5 sols or last 10 sols instead of just last sol.

I got the World War Three mystery. Here's some tips on how to beat it for those interested :
-Make sure you're self sufficient.

After a while into the event you'll get a notice that all rockets will be grounded, 5 sols before it takes effect.
That passes reasonably quickly, and you can start sending passenger rockets, and cargo rockets with drones, rovers, and prefabs, as well as exporting rare metals. You won't however be able to import any other supplies until the event is finished.

-Make sure you have extra rare metals laying about.

Earth will regularly send a rocket of their own to collect rare metals. You won't get any cash, but it will decrease the tension meter. If it reaches 100% you fail.
After the rocket returns to Earth, rival factions will rudely bomb your poo poo. If you have the meteor defense laser, that'll shoot the incoming ordnance down. If not, make sure you have redundancy in your infrastructure and/or is prepared to repair and rebuild quickly.

-Be prepared to accept refugees.

As the event progresses you'll get three bus loads of refugees of increasing size. 20, 50, then 100 dudes. You can just leave them in orbit to die, but doing so increases the tension meter.
The refugees are a bit worse than people you send, having a lower chance of having good traits, and a higher one of having negative ones. That said, if you have domes and housing for them it's a free and instant population boost.

-Stockpile resources.

For the final stage, your sponsor sends five rockets at once, each wanting you do export a resource.
Namely 400 food, 400 metals, 200 electronics, 200 machine parts, and 100 rare metals. I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but I assume it depends on how high the tension meter got, but I didn't have to fill all five up completely. I filled three and it told me the war was over, and the remaining rockets took off with what they had.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Ersatz posted:

Is there a way to remove piping after you research the improved pipes breakthrough? I hadn't realized that they fixed the bug with water/oxygen/electricity not flowing through domes, and consequently I've got a bunch of ugly pipe routing around my exteriors that I'd like to eliminate.
Yes, but it's a bit wonky.
Go to the Infrastructure category in the build menu, the leftmost one with tunnels and drone hubs.
The last button in that menu is a salvage tool. Then just click on on any and all stuff you want removed.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pretty sure the shuttles have unlimited range. I built a thing way off to one corner of the map and had no trouble with shuttles not getting there.

They might eat more fuel though, not sure.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I've been thinking. It seems there's enough breakthroughs for two complete sets. It'd be cool if each time you got a breakthrough it gave you two mutually exclusive choices.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I wish the founder stage was shorter or not present. It's trivially easy to care for 12 people anyways (barring a major catastrophe). I hate having nothing to do for 10 sols because further progression depends on bringing in more colonists.
I did the Watney challenge achievement last game.
Poor German woman had to spend 10 years alone on Mars before she got some company.

Speaking of though, the way time is abstracted is a bit odd. 1 sol = 1 year lines up with colonist lifespans, but for harvests it's more like 1 sol = 2-3 months.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Alkydere posted:

I find them a lot less annoying than either Dust Storms (excuse me I'll just shut down your O2 production) and Cold Snaps (excuse me while my electrical grid SCREAMS at me). Most of the meteors target a random chunk of the map which could just as easily be the furthest corner of the map. Meanwhile, if you build with redundancy you'll likely be fine.
It's also pretty funny when it hits dead on one of your domes. I had a few suicides, because apparently having your dome suffer direct hits from no less than seven meteorites is :airquote:stressful:airquote:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Nah, that sounds like The Last War. There's a bit there when some other nation that's not your sponsor flings interplanetary missiles at you.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Fuel is essentially free though. Once you've got some infrastructure up, it's the easiest advanced resource to produce.
Before upgrades two vaporators feeds one fuel factory, all you need to add is electricity.

It's worth noting that having fuel production next to your shuttle hubs does help, as you're not spending fuel to move fuel.

Also, and this is just a feeling I have, but it feels like shuttles are a lot more efficient if you invest heavily in them. Having a hub next to every cluster of domes rather than just a few central hubs means the shuttles won't have to cover the entire map.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Mechanical Ape posted:

One weird thing though on the rocket screen, either my rocket is orbiting backwards or the Earth is spinning the wrong way.
It's been like that since launch.
Goon illectro/Scott Manley on YouTube pointed it out in his video for the game. Still not fixed.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

:siren: Free weekend for Surviving Mars right now! :siren:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

You can forbid births on a dome by dome basis.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Are triboelectric scrubbers bugged? Mine seem to stop working when I up their radius.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Strabo4 posted:

Edit: About the game having heart, some of the events are pretty hilarious including this one that Haemimont must've patched in fairly recently. I didn't expect them to take a swing at Michael Bay.

I also got one earlier where a colonist asked me to spend $10M on fireworks to make a romantic display during which they'd propose. :3:
That's a reference to upcoming movie Mortal Engines, directed by Peter Jackson. Got nothing to do with Michael Bay.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, could've sworn it was due for February.
My grasp of time continues to slip. :v:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

There are solutions to a lot of the problems with living on Mars, but they generally seem like they require a lot of resources to maintain. Some of them also can be theoretically designed now, but will require technology that we have yet to develop to a sufficient point to actually be able to implement. There is a very good argument that these resources could be better spent on working on making space habitats safe for humans.

I am excited for the DLC regardless of how feasible terraforming Mars is in real life.
A surface gravity of about 0.3 g is also not very helpful for long term human habitation.

And yeah, spin gravity space stations or even full on O'Niell cylinders would probably be a better option than sinking resources into terraforming mars.
You could even build spin gravity habitats under the surface of low gravity bodies, like the moon, just have the floors angled. Having your habitat be under 10 meters of rock would solve any worries about radiation.

On the other hand, terraforming is cool, so I am also excited about the dlc.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Sinteres posted:

There might be ethical problems, particularly given that people growing up on Mars would have a very difficult time adapting to Earth gravity if they ever had to leave, but I assume people growing up on Mars would find a way to tolerate lower gravity given that humans can already survive for upwards of a year in microgravity. Their descendants would presumably adapt even more over time, and evolve to be distinct from Earth humans. I guess it all depends on how badly whoever's planning all of this wants Mars to be colonized, and how many people volunteer/are volunteered for the job. We haven't colonized Antarctica though, and that's obviously far easier to colonize than anything in space, so maybe the drive to have humans permanently living wherever we find space isn't actually that strong, though if humanity survives for millions of years I suspect someone will bother to do it at some point unless there are strict prohibitions for some reason.
That's one of the many reasons I love the Expanse.
Mars and the Belt colonies have developed their own very distinct culture shaped by where people grew up.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

No they changed that a while back. A single concrete extractor will empty out a deposit on its own just fine.

Whereas previously it only took concrete from its visual working area.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

Wait so the Triboelectric Scrubber just straight eliminates maintenance needs?!

God loving dammit, when am I going to learn to just try one of everything in this game instead of thinking "huh, that doesn't sound like it is worth so many electronics."
Including for each other if you overlap them.

Splicer posted:

My rear end is equally raw

Also where's my Skynet sponsor and Emergent AI leader? I want to lead my army of terraform drones without a bunch of humans cluttering up the place.
There's supposed to be a mod that automatically balances drones based on workload.
Quill mentioned it in his latest lp.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

You could always ban Idiots from all domes but one, then turn off o2 to the idiot dome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Splicer posted:

Gimme Surviving Europa

Also an actual random map function that lets me have any map combo

Surviving Venus
Gimme those floating colonies.