Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Popete posted:

Only played for about an hour and plopped down my first dome, game is pretty cool. Wish there was more of a tutorial and that I would have noticed you have to build a dome near the metal deposit, might restart.

One thing that seems like it might get annoying is maintenance on some buildings seems to generate really fast.

Make sure they're not near any extractors and you're not landing and taking off rockets near them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ihmemies posted:

I had to salvage my other rocket because I had no funding to buy electronics to complete my research lab, which I needed because I didn't get any research. Now I'm out of machine parts and my fuel extractors don't work anymore. Contemplating on dismantling the other one so I could fix the other and produce more fuel.

I guess that is my only option to get the rocket fueled. Then I need to get more funding somehow to buy more polymers and machine parts... uhh... I'm dead already, aren't I?

Edit: I was lucky the farm was my first research available since I didn't have polymers to build hydrophonic farms. Altough my polymers will run out soon which I use for battery maintenance. My windmills broke so I get only battery power to my dome during night. Everything else is shut down.

What did you use all your electronics on before your research lab?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ihmemies posted:

I bought like 10 and the lab costs 8. Is there any way to cheat more funding? This is getting ridiculous.

Edit: got the mars crowdfunding one time research. Maybe I can get some more polymers & parts imported from mars earth before this whole shitshow falls to pieces...

Edit2: Cold wave came, rip colony. Church of the new ark was too dumb to stay alive. I didn't realize they have _0_ reseach when starting the game..

I've just only seen starting rockets with 15 electronics, Machine Parts and Polymers recommended for embarkment. I guess maybe the church has a different rocket setup.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
So extractor AI is incredibly loving useful and means you can do all the mining you ever need anywhere at 75% efficiency because you can run it night shift without caring about sanity loss.

Also did you know fuel can spontaneously combust and take out an entire universal depot and its goods?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Just extractors and rockets as far as I'm aware?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Pirate Radar posted:

Had a good run going until it ran out of metal and everything fell apart. Then I realized that tunnels are supposed to let you climb cliffs. I was waiting for aircraft to pop up on my tech tree but didn’t even see it in time. :shrug:

How’s it work, do you land a rocket with drones and materials at the top of the cliff to build the other end?

It gets simultaneously built with the one you have access to.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Haha, what the gently caress. First breakthrough was precursor artifacts being found and now I have -45% research time on all tech.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Alkydere posted:

Yup, my current game I went as Europe/Ecologist (start with the Hanging Garden park spire) and I didn't have a source of metals until around sol 70/80 and even then I had to extend WAAAAAY out to get them. I did get two deposits of rare metals so I could at least start selling those to Earth, and making my own electronics (or at least putting a dent in the electronics I needed, I only recently ended up with enough production to outstrip my consumption). Because of my lack of metals I basically had to scrap almost my entire solar panel farm (and lone wind tower) to reduce my metal consumption. Thankfully I got the stirling blueprint research early on, followed by their upgrade so they give +30 power.

Now I'm finally getting rather stabilized, especially after getting a College up and running. Having warm bodies in slots is necessary, but having them trained makes a HUGE difference, even when you have the "less penalty from the wrong specialization" bonus researched. Having a dome as your college dome set with a preference for "untrained" people is a huge, HUGE long-term buff to your colony. Once you have enough trained workers and the specializations preferences on domes set the specialized slots tend to fill up just fine.

One of my next projects will be setting an "idiot dome" by remaking one of my domes to have only a few farm bulidings and just lots of luxuries where idiots can't loving break anything of importance.

Setting the difficulty higher really makes you emotionally invested in a colony.

I had to do this after I found out my electronics factory had 10! idiots running it. It was almost constantly broken until I figured out what was happening.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

double nine posted:

Tunnels and shuttle bays seem like they'd serve similar purposes, am I missing anything? Is one preferable over the other?

Different purposes. Tunnels allow you to build in far off locations without needing drone hubs or RC rovers along the way to maintain pipes and cables. Shuttles move goods across the map and help even out logistics.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

King Doom posted:

Has anyone had any success with childcare domes? I built one, filled it with nurseries, schools, playgrounds and an automatic grocer and diner and toggled children off in all domes but that one and made it child exclusive and now instead of moving there on their own they just sit wherever they spawned and die in the gutters. They will not move unless I manually make them and it's pissing me off.

You need at least 1 free adult resident slot for kids to move in.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

metasynthetic posted:

So I guess there's no achievement for beating Wildfire? I kept supplying the shuttles until I got a popup saying the earth was cured, it gave me a free wonder tech, told me I could keep shipping curetatos back for extra money for some reason.

It's sad, I actually felt like I, uh, achieved something with this crisis.

The game is slow for sure, but 200%+ difficulty seems to be where it starts involving making challenging decisions.

Same with the Beyond Earth one. I literally created a post-scarcity utopia for humanity on Earth and didn't get a cheevo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah they won't generally try moving it unless you need it at a different depot. Cos otherwise they'd burn through fuel doing nothing useful.

If you want to manually move it you can use an RC transport.

I found this definitely not to be true if I had multiple universal depots within a single drone hubs range. They constantly flew and moved 1 resource between the two trying to balance the depots out.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

King Doom posted:

You're kidding me. I need to build a house for a grown up and it'll work?

I'm like 90% sure I read a dev on the paradox forums post that's the case, but I can't find it again. So I think? :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Water definitely flows through domes and did in youtubers' pre-release copies too?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

double nine posted:

sometimes life just gives you lemonade. Set out to a region with a lot of dust storms and dust devils and:

turns out that will never be a problem. This is gonna be sweet!

until I want/need to expand into the canyon of course that'll be a nightmare

Any idea what the coordinates were? It looks like a fun map.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Martian train simulator with $3000 of DLC please.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Pirate Radar posted:

It doesn’t make sense that Mars colonists would just grow a bunch of soybeans at first to minmax their soil quality, like, realistically there are better ways to take care of your soil. Crop rotation should have more benefits, the way they represent soil quality right now is weirdly abstracted. Does that make sense? Sorry, it’s past 10:30 on a Saturday for me.

Does one round of ground cover and one round of soybeans, then alternating potatoes and soybeans sound like a better feeling crop rotation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Alkydere posted:

I find them a lot less annoying than either Dust Storms (excuse me I'll just shut down your O2 production) and Cold Snaps (excuse me while my electrical grid SCREAMS at me). Most of the meteors target a random chunk of the map which could just as easily be the furthest corner of the map. Meanwhile, if you build with redundancy you'll likely be fine.

Meteors also give you a lot of anomalies so they basically pay for themselves.